Criminal Minds #3: Beware The Office Of Unfettered Omniscience

Discussion in 'Criminal Minds' started by Destiny, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xeri

xeri Hit and Run

@Destiny: thx :) , yep that's it, now I know what bugged me about the bad guy, came probably up in the CSI Miami thread when he started on the show, have to watch that again ...

2. athens

athens Coroner

Hey,

Mosley Lane was one of the good episodes for me although you can't have everything(profiling,character developments, intense feelings etc) in only one episode.My flatmates believe it is the best episode so far :S

I have been rewatching season 2 episodes and I have to say that there are details of their characters that I didn't remember.: feels bad:.. One thing I know is that I didn't realise up until now that Rossi bonds really well with the team now,even better than Gideon. It might be because he's been around longer but still, I prefer the present team than in the first/second season..

3. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

First, Happy Birthday (3-9) to Matthew Gray Gubler. He turns 30 today.

Well I didn't know that Joe knew alot of the crew when he came in, This article from 2007 is a good read.

Joe Mantegna just wants to slip into 'Criminal Minds' set

Veteran actor Joe Mantegna says he's trying to make his entry into CBS' "Criminal Minds" as easy as possible for everyone.

The 60-year-old actor is sliding into a spot left open when Mandy Patinkin decided to leave the show.

"All I can do is just be who I am and just be myself," said Mantegna. "It needn't complicate the rest of the cast's lives any more than it has to because, obviously, there must have been some complications that needed an adjustment. I just felt that I'm there to do my best and fit in."

But it wasn't as if Mantegna was walking into a room full of strangers on his first day.

In fact, he says about 50% of the Wednesday night series "Criminal Minds" crew came from his 2003-2005 hit show "Joan of Arcadia."

"It's kind of ironic for me because the day 'Joan of Arcadia' finally got word that we weren't being picked up, I went up to the office to clear out my trailer and I remember they were packing up all these boxes and they all had 'Criminal Minds' written on the side," said Mantegna. "Our two producers at the time both went to 'Criminal Minds,' they were the original show-runners there, and they took a big portion of the crew with them, so when I came to the first day [on 'Minds'], it was unbelievable."

Though Mantegna's character, David Rossi, will take over the job Patinkin's Gideon left behind, Mantegna emphasizes the fact that the characters are two very different people.

"I use a sports analogue," said Mantegna, who begins his role on the show next week. "Like if a baseball team traded a batter and brought in a new guy, it's a totally different guy, but he's still doing the same job batting at a certain number in the lineup. Hopefully, the audience will find that interesting and exciting, and we hope the show will continue to be the success that it is."

Though Mantegna wasn't a die-hard "Criminal Minds" fan before he landed his role on the CBS show, once he signed his contract, he immersed himself in the previous four seasons' DVDs.
    "I usually discover shows in syndication," said Mantegna. "Like when I did 'The Starter Wife' with Debra Messing; for me, 'Will & Grace' was like a new show because I watched it at midnight in syndication."

"Of course, I'm now the biggest fan in the world of 'Criminal Minds,'" said Mantegna. "I love the show. I love the writing. The people, the cast, the characters. For me, it's been a great fit. I was looking for a show exactly like this."

Last edited: Mar 9, 2010
  4. athens

athens Coroner

oh I didn't know it was his birthday..Happy Birthday MGG :D

Thanks a lot for the article. I think I've never watched Joan of Arcadia.. It is good though that his first days on the show were with familiar people..

5. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Thanks for posting that article, Destiny. I'm glad he knew familiar faces when he started with the show. I never watched Joan of Arcadia until after I started watching Criminal Minds and found out J of A was the last show he did. It's a really good show, too!

Happy Birthday, MGG!!! :)

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Happy bday to Matthew. :)

I didn't know Joe was 60. Wow, he looks great for his age. :)

7. Destiny

Actually Joe was 60 when that article was done in Oct of 07. That means today he is about 63, and your right I didn't think he was at the least a day over 45, at the most a day over 55.

Okay I have pictures & promo's (source of course umm yeah ;) ) Remember the spoiler rule as these are futures.

Solitary Man 5x17 Promo

Solitary Man 2 5x17 Promo

5x18 The Fight (Cross-over ep) picture

Episodes: (Some posted above)

Air Date: Wednesday, March 10, 2010
    Time Slot: 9:00 PM-10:00 PM EST on CBS
    Episode Title: (#517) "Solitary Man"

AFTER WOMEN ARE ADBUCTED FROM RANDOM PLACES, THE BAU MUST PROFILE A TRUCK DRIVER IN ORDER TO STOP HIM. - A truck driver is kidnapping women and disposing of them in random locations and the BAU must find out his motive in order to catch him. - Local authorities in Edgewood, New Mexico, summon the BAU to investigate a truck driver who is kidnapping women and disposing of them in random locations as he apparently tries to find a new mother for his daughter.

Gabrielle Carteris ("Beverly Hills 90210") Guest Stars as an Abduction Victim

Guest Cast:

Nancy Campbell... Gabrielle Carteris
    Truck Driver... Bradford Tatum
    Lynn Clemons... Melissa Culverwell
    Jody Clemons... Morgan Lily
    Tanya Hill... Kimberly Adair
    Betty... Scarlett McAlister
    Sam... Stuart G. Bennett
    Bobby Lainsford... Ariana Savalas
    Sheriff Frank Sanders... Obba Babtund
    Courtney Campbell... Brynn Samms
    Manager... Hugo Armstrong

3/17/10 (#506) The Eyes Have It (REPEAT)
    The BAU is called to Oklahoma City to help local authorities track a serial killer who removes the eyes of his murder victims and keeps the eyes as souvenirs. - (Salli Richardson-Whitfield Returns as Tamara Barnes from the ep 504 "Hopeless" the sister of a murder victim Morgan visits and Garcia warns him against).

3/24/10 (#507) The Performer (REPEAT)
    The BAU is called to Los Angeles to investigate a series of killings that lead to a Goth rock star who appears to have become lost in the creepy alter-ego he portrays when he is on stage. (Rock Star Gavin Rossdale Guest Stars as a Performer Suspected of Murder)

3/31 "(#508) Outfoxed" (REPEAT)
    While investigating a series of murders of entire families in Hampton, Virginia, the BAU is forced to visit Red Onion Supermax Prison to seek advice from one of the most atrocious killers from the team's past, nicknamed "The Fox," who delivers a portentous message to Agent Hotchner.

Cross-over Episode
    Air Date: Wednesday, April 07, 2010
    Time Slot: 9:00 PM-10:00 PM EST on CBS
    Episode Title: (#518) "The Fight"

HOTCH AND HIS AGENTS JOIN FORCES WITH ANOTHER BAU TEAM TO SOLVE A SERIES OF MURDERS IN SAN FRANCISCO. - The BAU team travels to San Francisco to investigate the murders of several homeless men and teams up with a separate group of BAU operatives who are working another case they think is connected. - SSA Aaron Hotchner and his team investigate the murders of several homeless men in San Francisco and coordinates their efforts with another team of BAU agents who are working on another case that appears to be connected.

Academy Award, Golden Globe and Emmy Award-winning actor Forest Whitaker guest stars as Special Agent Sam Cooper, and Academy Award and Golden Globe Award-winning actress Mary Steenburgen guest stars as Director Beth Griffith.

Guest Cast:
    Sam Cooper... Forest Whitaker
    Mick Rawson... Matt Ryan
    Prophet... Michael Kelly
    Gina LaSalle... Beau Garrett
    Director Beth Griffith... Mary Steenburgen
    Bell... Jason Brooks
    Ben McBride... Jason Wiles
    Jane McBride... Alexa Nikolas
    Leslie McBride... Lesley Fera
    Detective Ekler... Kelvin Han Yee
    Detective Ganz... Scott Allan Campbell
    Nelson G... Felix Solis
    Coroner... Howard S. Miller
    Suspect... Eric B. Gerleman

I am also putting this in the spin-off thread.

8. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

It looks like the episode, "Solitary Man" is going to have a lot of profiling, and...
    that the kidnapped woman is in a very dangerous situation. Looks like some great acting from Gabrielle Carteris. I hope this is going to be the show returning to its normal self with some emotional connectivity between the team, too. And some good Garcia phone talk.

Thanks for the promo links, Destiny.

I'll talk about the spinoff in its thread. Thanks for that info.

9. electra

electra Pathologist

Excellent episode.In a creepy way I cared for the unsub becouse he just wanted to be with his daughter.I always like to know why they do it.And he is of course disturbed.There was a lot of profiling and I liked the interactions between characters:Morgan and Emily scene at the end ,Reid and Rossi ( I loved when he said it was a first that Reid didn't know) and Morgan and Garcia flirty banter is back:).I will give it a 9.

10. Destiny

Source: Tv Guide Online

Exclusive: Breaking Bad's Dean Norris to Appear on Criminal Minds

Breaking Bad star Dean Norris has booked a guest spot on Criminal Minds, TVGuide.com has learned exclusively.

Norris will play a gruff detective at the local Tallahassee police station in the season's 20th episode, written by showrunner Ed Bernero. The episode will air during May sweeps

The actor plays DEA agent Hank Schrader, the brother-in-law of Bryan Cranston's lead character, Walter White, on Breaking Bad. (Season 3 premieres March 21.) He guest-starred on Medium last week and is also slated to appear in an episode of Lie to Me later this season.

11. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Oooh, interesting! The character he plays in Breaking Bad is kind of a baddass. I'm so glad Ed Bernero is going to be writing an episode again finally. He's written and directed some of the really good ones.

Yes, this was a "tragic Unsub" episode. I thought it was pretty good, and more like the episodes from the last season or earlier this season--more like how a true CM ep should be. I loved the scene of...

Reid and Rossi at the ditch, and Reid having to be the one who goes down into it, since Rossi is wearing some new Italian boots. Great humorous scene.

I was also happy to see Garcia doing her flirty phone talk! Love it. Morgan and Emily scenes are always kinda interesting. I'll give this ep a B+. And at least Hotch and Rossi had a couple exchanges of dialogue in this one.

12. electra

electra Pathologist

Rossi was a little testy with Reid IMO but the scene worked .Rossi is also the one that would have expensive italian shoes.:lol:I sort of miss the Hotch and Rossi moments but I like the ones we got.

We still need more information.I want to know if Morgan is dating Tamara and how Hotch is coping to put an exemple.The cases are the most important part but getting to know more about the characters does not hurt.The only thing that I do NOT want is romance between main characters.

13. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Rossi was a little gruff, but he gets that way sometimes. And it was nice of Reid to agree to go down into the ditch without too much protest. Yeah, I agree, they really had Rossi in character with those Italian shoes!

I'm hoping we start getting more of the Hotch and Rossi moments soon. It's about time! It's canon in the show for Rossi to ask Hotch how he's doing, so I hope we get those scenes when the show starts touching more on Hotch's personal life toward the end of the season. I'm assuming it will, since we haven't heard a thing about how Jack is doing in months.

Yes, they really should have Hotch seeing a shrink. That would be completely normal after what he went through. He's keeping what Foyet did to him all bottled up which is soooo not good, and with the way he blames himself for things, he must be blaming himself for not being able to save Haley in time.

I totally agree with you about no romances between main characters. If it's a recurring character like Tamara, Kevin or Will, then it can work, since we hardly ever see them. That way anyone who doesn't like them, won't have to get constantly irritated.

We have been having seriously case-heavy episodes for awhile now. When things turn more to the personal lives of the team--maybe after the spinoff episode airs--then I'm sure we'll find out if Derek is still seeing Tamara as well as what's going on with Hotch, a Hotch and Rossi conversation, an appearance by Kevin, etc.

14. electra

electra Pathologist

Yeah,Rossi used to rub me the wrong way ,especially when he was upsetting Morgan and only Hotch have persmission for that!!:lol:But he has grown on me.He is the one that should talk to Hotch about getting help.They have an easy chemistry and he is is the only one that calls him Aaron.We need more of that.

I know that I am WAY late but is just now that I realized about the crossover.:confused:

15. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

I totally agree. Hotch will sometimes drop his defences around Rossi in a way that he doesn't with anyone else.

Re: "upsetting Morgan"--Do you mean when Rossi was concerned that Morgan might balk at stepping down from being temporary Unit Chief? The way I took that was that Rossi didn't know Morgan well enough to know that he wouldn't stand in Hotch's way. But Rossi has known Aaron/Hotch for years, so he was being protective of him.

Actually, I have a feeling Rossi already knows what happened to his friend during Foyet's attack. I think he found out about it. I could see him questioning the doctor and finding out, because of already suspecting what Foyet did. Rossi is very perceptive.

Well, you know now! That's the important thing. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.