Episode 8x16 - "LA" ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Feb 27, 2010.

1. kala79

kala79 Lab Technician

I think that happens every year when a final episode of the 'Bachelor' is at the same time on other channel ;) Ratings should go back to normal next week...:)

2. hahagirl

hahagirl Hit and Run

I saw CSI NY last night and that was creepier than this episode.

3. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I agree. Much creepier. Excellent episode last night! :thumbsup:

4. laurmarie

laurmarie Hit and Run

yea it was

5. electra

electra Pathologist

There were many things about this episode that I liked.My favorite is Horatio and Eric working together .They have an easy chemistry that makes their scenes worth watching.Second,Walter is funny.I liked how he told the tech guy,English? or something like that.:lol:

I actually think that Calleigh was soft with Jesse.I would have gone to IAB.I do not care either way about Natalia but I think it made sense that she was the one to help Anna.I am not sure about the team aspect becouse the group looks more distant then ever.

But the episode as a whole was boring becouse Jesse failed to impact me.This was an episode about him and I did not even cared about his pain .He is incredible boring during the emotional scenes.I wish I could hate him becouse at least I would care about him.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  6. Enhinti

Enhinti Rookie

Electra, I totally agree!
    I have found Jesse either boring or offensive throughout this season (Boring in 8.01, and boring and offensive in 8.02). I can't believe he was ever married of lost a loved one, because he just doesn't act like it. I hope the next few episodes have less Jesse and focus more on the interesting and compelling people in the show.

7. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

How was Jesse offensive? Who did he even offend? I'm really confused about this..:wtf:

I'm sorry but just because Jesse doesn't act all teary-eyed and cry every other day doesn't mean he isn't feeling loss. Some people close themselves off when losing a loved one, that would make them appear cold and unfeeling because they are trying their best to be composed and not show that they are vulnerable. Horatio half the time can appear cold and unfeeling when dealing with losing a loved one, he and Jesse are similar in that this is just how they deal with the loss. They don't run around like decapitated chickens or throw some huge temper tantrum, they turn themselves off inside so that they wouldn't feel.

Besides, not everything emotional has to be screaming, yelling, crying, or some dramatic facial expression, a good actor can show it all through his or her eyes, and as far as I'm concerned Eddie did a wonderful job of letting his eyes tell the story rather than some huge dramatics.

Honestly, Jesse hasn't done anything horrible that any of the team member haven't done themselves, why should he be the one to get called out and be judged when the other characters still are held up on a pedestal.

I get that everyone has their favorites, but this hostility towards both Jesse as a character and Eddie as an actor is sometimes disconcerting. The man hasn't done anything that reprehensible to earn all this negative reaction, and as an actor, Eddie Cibrian has maintained his dignity and professionalism throughout all of this firestorm against him. Eddie should be getting a medal for being so level-headed.

8. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I agree completely, BauerAlmedia. I really think Jesse is meant to be a somewhat stoic character and that's why you see little emotion in him. Also, the fact that he's a guy may factor into it. Society dictates often that guys aren't supposed to show emotion, they're weak if they cry (its stupid and wrong, but that's the judgemental ways of society lol)... so many men choose to hold all of their emotions in... and on the outside they look like nothing penetrates their hearts, but on the inside they look like a tornado hit their hearts.

I agree that Jesse and H are a lot alike in that respects. When Ray, Speed and Marisol died, Horatio didn't shed tears. Instead he kept all of that emotion deep inside and used all of that energy to go after the bad guys and get justice for his lost loved one. To me, this is exactly what Jesse's doing. He's focusing on getting the guy who killed his wife, because if he lets himself think of the loss of her, he will lose himself and never find his way back.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  9. slower

slower Lab Technician

I have to agree also. Even though he has had a tremedous loss, does not mean he is going to fall apart every few minutes. It takes a strong individual to keep it together and focus on what needs to be done.

Eddie has maintained his dignity throughout this ordeal. Kudos for that. I have not been a supporter; but not a hater either. I think my main problems stemed from the lack of respect the writers were showing longtime cast members by trying to establish Jesse's character too fast for the audience to adjust. My position has softened some, b/c the writers are starting to include the rest of the cast more with less focus on Jesse, so this gave me an opportunity to try and enjoy him a little more; without being so defensive for my fav Ryan. And now with Adam returning. :confused: IDK.

10. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

He wasn't.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! This is exactly how I feel. I would much rather watch actors who are subtle and controlled then the ones who are overly emotional in their reactions to every situation. Caruso is a perfect example. I also think David Duchovny is very subtle in style and so is Eddie.

Yes he did and he did a wonderful job with it. That's why I was so surprised they had him lose it so badly at the start when he confronted Enright. I found that out of character for the Jesse I've come to know, but maybe that was their point.

Anything Jesse has done up to this point is child's play compared to the rest of the team. The problem is favortism and selective memory.

Agree totally. As I stated before, Eddie has completely earned my respect as a complete professional. He reminds me very much of Caruso in his ability to keep his mind focused on the job and filter out all the hostility and unnecessary negativity. And it's been coming Eddie's way since it was announced he had joined the show.

Both he and Omar are a wonderful, fresh addition to the show and it would be a real shame to lose either one of them.

11. slower

slower Lab Technician

So what do you suggest we do with the older team members? Trash them and give them a backseat to the newer members of the team; just because they bring a freshness (as you say) to the team? TPTB has barely scratced the surface of Jon's potential. And while Eddie is subtle in his approach to his acting; Jon is more expressive and somewhat animated at times. Does it make one better than the other; it depends on who your talking to. Personally I like an actor who can draw me into his character and I know what he is feeling at the moment; not someone I have to guess about what's going on with him. I keep hearing the same themes: freshness to the show, and subtly in acting, it kind of leaves me cold and sad for the long time actors; who have made the show what it is. :(

12. electra

electra Pathologist

It´s a matter of personal opinion but stoic characters like Hotch on Criminal minds can make me feel for him.Jesse is bland,IMO.I had the same problem with EC in Third watch.I remember that I did not liked Ryan at first but my reaction to him was always strong.The actor was able to give a lot of emotion to his scenes .Walter had fewer scenes and already got me becouse of his humour.They should have given jesse storyline to either one of those actors.

13. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Slower- I dont think they mean anything against the other actors, I take it to mean that the new characters bring something different to the show. With any show no matter how good the cast are there comes a point in the show's life when it needs something to change it alittle bit- so its not the same plots and people in peril over and over. The new people are just adding to what's already there.
    And I agree with you about Jon, he is a fantastic actor, the best on the show imo.

I havent gotten around to seeing the episode yet, hopefully I will manage it this weekend, and then I can see what I think about Eddie's acting.

14. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Excellent point, and I agree. I know exactly what you're talking about with Criminal Minds. Aaron Hotchner, as a character, is very stoic, but I don't have to see him cry or lash out in anger in order to sense when something truly affects him. With Jesse, I don't get a sense that he feels much in the way of emotions. It's not an issue of "well, he doesn't cry all the time, so he's not upset", it's that he doesn't seem affected by anything. I just don't think Eddie Cibrian is very good at pulling off subtle ways of expressing emotions like grief.

15. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

In no way am I suggesting that we "trash" the long-term team members. They are the reason that CSI Miami became successful to begin with.

But, as Solitare indicated, after a show has been on the air for a certain period of time it needs an infusion of new blood or it becomes tired and the stories become repetitive and/or stagnate. I believe that was happening with CSI Miami in seasons 6 & 7 and we saw a real turn-around begin with the introduction of the new team members in season 8.

And I've said many times before that I think Eva, Jon and Rex are extremely talented and their talents and characters very much ignored by the writers. Stating that I think the new additions are good for the show is in no way intended as a dis to those three. I'm thrilled every time I get a chance to see them. I would like to see the new characters help to bring new life to the old ones. Walter's interaction with Ryan is a good example. I LOVE that Ryan now has a friend with Walter.

I agree with electra. Actors that portray characters as stoic or emotionally controlled are able to elicit much more emotion from me when they DO reveal hurt or fear or joy, then the actors whose style is to show their characters emotional state with ever word and physical motion.

One of the sweetest moments on Criminal Minds is when JJ brought her baby in and Prentiss pointed out to Hotch that he was smiling. :) If you've never seen the show, Hotch hardly EVER smiles. It a running theme on the show.

Seeing Horatio smile or become emotional like he did at Eric's bedside, is so rare that it immediately gets my attention and I "feel" with him - simply because it is so rare for him to display that kind of emotion.

The best example for me of how subtle Caruso can be is the scene in "10-7" when he is saying goodbye to Yelina and as the plane with Yelina, Ray Jr. and Raymond is taking off. Wow! Everytime I see that scene it gets me. And yet Horatio's heartbreaking response as he watches his only family leave is so subtle, for me it's more emotionally wrenching to witness then it would have been if Horatio had broken down.

Another example is Speed's death scene. Caruso and Cochrane both handled it perfectly - because they both were so controlled and subtle and didn't overact the scene.

I enjoy most of the old characters, but I welcome what the new characters have added to the show. It was a necessary addition and these characters should be given a chance, not attacked endlessly without letup from the moment their addition is announced.