Locker Room #18: Danny/Carmine: Welcome to the Insane Asylum!

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

It's really a point of view because I hated the old Danny season one I always wondered how this moron could be a cop I prefered him from season 2 and now, and I'm not a young fan girl so let's say that everyone has his own opinion and not just a good or a bad one;)

2. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

It's interesting how we all see things so differently. I've always lliked Danny, whatever season. Some seasons I've liked him more, some a little less but fundamentally I've enjoyed his development and have found him to be my favourite character overall.

I've often seen people saying that they miss S1 Danny and I have to say that I really don't! He was great - intriguingly different from other characters on tv and terribly terribly flawed, but in a way that made me want to watch him all the more and I found it very easy to sympathise with him. But, to continue that across 6 seasons would have gotten old for me and I would have found myself growing frustrated and pissed off with him.

I love how his development has shown depth, much more so than any other character on the show imo. Even though some people hate the relationship with Lindsay, I love how it added something to his character. The relationship gave him a chance to be the person he wanted to be (because despite his words when they got married, it is who HE wanted to be rather than who SHE wanted him to be - at least that's how I saw it). Even before they married, Lindsay being the closed off person that she was allowed Danny to be there for someone in a way that others (e.g. flack/mac) were usually there for him - he was able to step up. What's even more great is that he fell back down again because really, Danny can't sustain that level of responsibility/can't go for too long without screwing up.

For me, the fact that he's had so many different layers added makes everything all the more interesting. The Shane Casey thing would be a lot less interesting if Danny had continued to be the person he was in S1. Now I'm intrigued by what's going to happen because Danny has tried so hard to not be a 'screw up' but he still manages it and the fall out could be fabulous!:)

3. Cyn-B-Demented

Cyn-B-Demented Police Officer

It is a question of opinion indeed! :) I agree that it would have been boring and redundant to keep the same attitude he had in S1-2, but he has been a very intense character to something so bland now...:confused: I feel there's something missing. I don't understand the leap. I thought becoming a parent and having a wife would give a jolt to his system but alas. I don't know. There's way to have personal growth and maturing without loosing the passion, the intensity.

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Exactly. To me marriage and a baby don't equal personal growth. He still doesn't communicate well with Lindsay and he's still making bad decisions despite being a father. Really, he's still the same "go-to f*ck up" that Carmine called him in one of his past interviews with Kristine. It's just that now he's a boring ass f*ck up, IMO.

I just really thought it was interesting that my step-dad, who doesn't get invested in TV unless sports is on made an effort to have a conversation about Danny as a character and how his opinion of him has changed and why his opinion has changed. The fact that his opinion is the same as mine was probably a plus, too. ;) :shifty:

ETA: I really hope Carmine gets to write more episodes if he desires. I was impressed with his first attempt. He wrote a real CSI: NY episode and stayed away from showcasing his own character and I really liked that.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  5. Cyn-B-Demented

LMAO! That is so true! :guffaw:I'd really like to hear Carmine about his character since they got married and had the baby... been a while I haven't checked the interviews section! If it's a decision he and the writers consciously made for his character, I'd like to hear the meaning behind it, where they're taking it to, is it something we missed? Because so far, Danny has not evolved at all. To me, he's just in a very stagnant phase. And a boring one to watch every week on top of that.

Haha, oh, any time we can agree with the parents, even for such small things :lol: You it's your dad and me it's my fiancé. He gets to watch CSI:NY every 5 full moons, and he noticed how Lindsay is "just there" as a filler or something and Danny almost going to the same bad place as the show goes on... TPTB needs to unfuck the situation quick!

Ohhh, excellent point! That is so true! Now that you mention it, it made me realize! But he also look more pumped to do his scenes, or is it just me? There was good one-liners too, which I liked. For example, Gary with the leader "You're quite disturbed, I give you that" and "You're not gonna bite me" (something around those lines)! :lol:

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

7. Cyn-B-Demented

8. Vildis

Vildis Lab Technician

Thanks for the links. I liked the videos, although the music (in the video/link posted by Cyn) is not my cup of tea. But it was still interesting to watch.

Speaking of Danny and his development. I have never disliked the old Danny, the one in Season 1. To be honest, I think I liked him more back then than what I do now. I mean, I like how Danny has changed, but he used to be great too even in season 1 (and all other seasons). It's just that I am no D/L-shipper, so I can't like Danny's development completely.

9. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

10. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010
  11. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

Thanks Poppet

12. Cyn-B-Demented

Hahaha, yeah! Well, it did fit the mood of the episode and all! So, in that sense, I liked it.

At least, it felt like he was alive and passionate about what he was doing : fighting crime, bringing justice to the victims and family's victim, protecting society, etc. Whatever reasons drive him. Even the characters in Law & Order that are very neutral and let few things get to them have their moments. And it is to be expected because these police officers see so many horrible crimes and so many criminal walk free (or with light penalty) that it'll get to them eventually. It will affect them. Some cases more than others. And that's what we used to see with Danny in the past. In S5-6 it's like he's "Why I am doing this" state of mind? Not sure how to explain how I see it... lol Sorry if it doesn't make much sense!:lol:

Ah, nice to know! Thanks for link, Poppet! :D

13. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

Danny in csi ny 6.15 "the formula"

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

I don't know you but I think Carmine really needs some sleep this season he looks tired, thin and not really healthy I hope he only works too much with CSI and his band -:(

Go and get some rest Carmine

15. Cyn-B-Demented

Yeah, I noticed that too. He looks exhausted :(. But I don't know if it is "staged" because they have a baby and all? But Lindsay looks considerably fresh compared to him lol But he is working crazy with Ceesau & charities, indeed!

Perl : Thank you so much for the screen caps! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.