CSI: NY Season 6 Spoiler Discussion - Bright Lights, Big City

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

but presumably this woman, being an actress, is able to do characters other than toxic, right? i know there's typecasting sometimes but most actors are able to differentiate between the various characters they play! i think it's a bit unfair to write off a new character just because the actress playing her played a less than nice character elsewhere. otherwise the entire film and tv industry would collapse!

i kind of saw some at the time, but the more i watch s3, the less i see it. although i'm happy to admit that my judgement on later viewings may be clouded by the general opinion that there wasn't - just because once you know that so many people reacted to something a particular way, you start seeing it in a different way yourself.

i didn't mind peyton really (i'm flying the flag for her as she grew up about 9 miles from where i live - as did gillian (julia ormond), i'm still hoping that mac just has a "thing" for girls from this area!!:guffaw::guffaw:) but i think she was doomed to failure - anyone whose first scene is in the lead character's bed is well and truly screwed (so to speak...). if she'd been brought in as a character other than that (ie as the new ME or something) who then ended up with mac, she might have stood a chance, but essentially they cut off any chance she might have had for character development, they totally restricted her to being "mac's girlfriend" and that must have been quite a tough job - claire forlani's not really a bad actress, and to have that kind of limited scope must've been quite frustrating. i am willing to bet that if she'd been given more scope to make her own a more rounded character, she'd have been fine. as it was the romance seemed kind of stiff and stilted, purely because she had no depth whatsoever. for which i blame the writers. so there!

i'm really hoping they do it a bit differently this time - it sounds like this woman's going to be someone mac meets in a cafe or something, right? well that kind of makes more sense than someone he meets in bed! but i really hope they allow this character to be something other than just the girlfriend and give her a bit more depth and personality than that, otherwise it'll be another failure.

2. wildcat

wildcat Witness

Then we'll just have to agree to disagree, right? ;) :lol:

I saw her as somebody very sticky, needy, not wanting to understand Mac's wish to keep their private life separate from work, and constantly sending him on a guilt trip. And then she just dropped him in a rather low way. :rolleyes: And in my opinion there was not any chemistry whatsoever. :lol:

3. wildcat

wildcat Witness

Yes, exactly! :thumbsup: I would not be surprised if the original poster said that even though the last performance she's been seen in was "a toxic kind of character", we hope that this new role with Mac will be different. But there was expressed the wish to see the same type of toxic personality on CSINY. :wtf: Go figure... :rolleyes: :lol:

I think you should just go to LA and ask them to cast you as the next "love interest" for Mac. ;) (Anyhow, one more, one less - we don't care now.:lol:) You have a fair chance with all that! :guffaw::guffaw:

I guess we will never know now. :rolleyes:
    And that's the problem with any "side" recurring character - just not enough screen time to develop anything meaningful. And you can not give to that love line much more time, because it's still first of all a crime story.

4. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Not toxic exactly...but I do think that poisonous, or morally ambiguous personalities usually imply character depth, and I really like murky depths in characters. I don't need or want to see the same things Amick's character was doing on GG -- blackmail, cheating on her husband with a seventeen-year-old boy, etc, etc -- but I do want her NY character to actually hold my interest. Which means having a little more to her than just "I love to uphold truth and justice, but it's so tough being in a 'man's' job." (seriously, I feel like this has been the running gimmick of every one of Mac's potential girlfriends, with the possible exception of Peyton.)

On that note, I think they're doing a great thing in not having Mac's new girlfriend work in law enforcement. For one thing, it's very realistic; in that it's about time one of them hooked up with someone outside of the ludicrously-exclusive bubble of NYPD. For another...CSI's franchise doesn't have a great record as far as successful romantic relationships go, but there are several examples where the characters have dated outside of their work (Catherine, Warrick, Grissom [sort of], Eric Delko, Stella with Frankie). None of those drew away from the main point of the shows. The Frankie storyline became ugly, but in the earlier episodes of S2 it wasn't all that distracting.

5. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

6.14 Sanguine Love

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

source: tv.com​

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

The return of the spoiler report - huzzah! :p

That is to say, I did a spoiler report for "Sanguine Love". I don't think there's anything I didn't share when I first mentioned spoilers for the episode, but at least it's a bit of a refresher for the next episode, right? ;) (And remember, of course, that things can always change. Just because something happens in the spoilers doesn't mean it'll happen when the episode itself airs. :))

7. Brinchen

Brinchen Pathologist

Thanks for the spoilers. The episode sounds interesting. I'm happy to see both, Adam and Lindsay are in it, I hope Sid will be there as well. Seeing Hawkes and Adam working together will be nice. And of course I'm happy to see that Danny and Lindsay will be working together as well. Questioning someone sounds fantastic to me.

8. virginia-hell

virginia-hell Dead on Arrival

The back-and-forth about Danny not reporting his nicked badge has me a little bemused. Because...it's not like he stared down the barrel of his gun and coldly murdered a suspect.
    So, the real story (imho)... the blooming cheek of Flack, of all people, to get uppity with him for it :wtf:.

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

I think you should just go to LA and ask them to cast you as the next "love interest" for Mac. ;) (Anyhow, one more, one less - we don't care now.:lol:) You have a fair chance with all that! :guffaw::guffaw:[/QUOTE]

haha yep, that's what i'm planning :):lol:

yeah, i pretty much agree with that - if she's too nicey nicey it'll get dull pretty fast, it'd be nice if there was a bit of conflict thrown in there too.

and i definitely agree that it's nice they go outside the lab for romance every so often!

perl: thanks for the pics :D

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  10. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

If she gets out of line Mac can "Ground her" since Gary is almost old enough to be her dad!:lol:

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i'm thinking maybe gary demanded this romance - after all it looks like he meets her in the st patrick's day ep, which is also his birthday - maybe he wanted a bit of mac action as a birthday present?!

[/silly]

12. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

And? Yes, Flack has lost much of the moral high ground by killing Simon Cade; only a fool would argue otherwise. However, we're not playing Top that Blunder. If we were, no one on CSI:NY would be able to rebuke anyone else, except maybe Sid or Adam.

No, Flack isn't sinless, but his point stands. It is a big deal, one that could harm innocent people, including Danny's own family. At least Flack's shooting of Simon Cade harmed none but him(and I really think there has to be an accounting someday). Danny's refusal to report the theft for the lame reason of, "I don't want to make a big deal of it" is reckless, immature, and selfish, and he doesn't even have the excuse of extreme mental anguish to hide behind.

13. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

CSI: NY - Episode 6.17 - Pot of Gold - Casting Call and Plotline

14. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

Ok my little tought about this badge story:confused::confused:

I think the reason Danny didn't report is maybe because he would have to give the reason he was to the acupuncture studio.

He told Lindsay that if he's still annoyed with his back he will have to go on medical leave meaning half pay and they can't afford that.( or maybe it was in the previous spoiler but not in the final shoot)

I think that's the story writters wanted us to buy but obviously it's far...far to be clear for all of us. We will see but I'm tired of stupid Danny:(:(:(

15. wildcat

wildcat Witness

Oh, ok, I see your point. :beer: I agree that some kind of a contradictory character is a lot more fun then a one-dimensional primitive one. ;)
    If they could incorporate not only "a love interest" line, but some moral dilemmas and difficult choices it WOULD be more interesting.

OMG!!!! :eek::eek: You are right. It never crossed my mind. :rolleyes: :lol: (BTW, do we agree that Mac's birthday is on the same day as Gary's? ;) - When was aired this episode where Reed is following Stella after she dropped off Mac's birthday present to his place? :confused: I'm pretty sure it's been in spring.)
    Hm... trying to mix this idea with some fanfic about Mac's birthday present. :p:lol:

Hm... Wait a minute....:wtf: What are we going to watch - CSI:NY or a beauty pageant? :eek: :lol: Everybody has to be hot, gorgeous, stunning and all-around beautiful. What happened to all the real average-looking new-yorkers? :rolleyes: They are like dinosaurs - all but extinct on the show.
    Just wait a bit, my guess is that the next one got to be some chippendale show :guffaw:(why not ?- we just got a very detailed lingerie football report, but as it seems the majority of viewers are female - have to cater to them too :lol:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.