William/Grissom: Of CSI & Beyond #14

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Criminologist86

Criminologist86 Pathologist

Absolutely, girl :) Brilliant idea w/ the speech bubbles; you're SO VERY creative! I wish I could integrate Billy into my Crim stuff, but it doesn't usually work that way. ALTHOUGH, I'm VERY pleased to announce that I have successfully gained a spot in 'Criminal Investigations' which is PURELY Crime Scene info- how to work a scene, evidence collection, preservation, etc. I'm SO PSYCHED!!!!!!! I can't hardly STAND it! I think we get to go to the Michigan State Crime Lab too...*SQUEE* I'm taking a picture with EVERYONE and having copies made to send to CSI- the ballistics, the trace people, etc ;) LOL I wish...

I think 'Endgame' will be fun- although I hope Billy will continue in theater (duh he will), and get into some similarly dramatic plays like 'Blackbird'. I LOVE him in intense roles, under pressure. It's just too stinking sexy....LOL But, I'm sure he chooses wisely for every role ;) I'm EXCITED :)

2. americanstalker

americanstalker Witness

I don't know if anyone has brought this up, but does anyone think that Grissom might have Asperger's Syndrome? In case you're wondering what it is, here's a link with more information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome

3. erep

erep Witness

For what it's worth, I do NOT think Grissom has Asperger Syndrome. Being eccentric is not the same as having Asperger's...and he functions, socially, much better than the Asperger people I have known. I'm not an expert, but I don't think that diagnosis fits.

4. Criminologist86

americanstalker: I really don't think Grissom has Asperger's Syndrome....I think he's just a very intelligent, slightly anti-social individual who was a phenomenal boss (and, please people, keep in mind that 'Grissom' and 'Billy' are NOT the same person. Grissom is a fictional character and Billy is a real person) and was a great manager of his team and functions very well both individually and as a team member. Being a bit anti-social in both personality and behavior are just a part of his deal; part of the character of Grissom, and in my opinion, NOT attributable to any kind of high functioning Autism.

Interesting thought tho ;p

5. Adzix

Adzix CSI Level Three

^ just read it over and i think that even though Grissom does show a lot of characteristics of Asperger's, the causes of the syndrome are still listed as genetic, which is not consistent with Grissom's case. it has been explained on the show that the primary reason for him beeing the way he is, was that his mother was deaf, father was dead and he grew up in a "quiet world of his imagination" as Billy once said.

6. Criminologist86

^ Yeah, he's missing the genetic link factor...which is kinda big, but I see where you're coming from with the deaf mother & dad who, apparently, wasn't quite in touch with reality.
    I think the Grissoms were just kinda those quirky people, I don't think anything was necessarily mentally wrong with them...some people are just like that. His (Grissom) father, judging from what Billy says about him, may have been a bit goofy, but otherwise, I think it's just in his personality...

I have a friend who is a huge dork, speaks like a Shakesperian actor and is so into literature and so smart about it that eh could very well get a Master's or PhD in it, and is, honestly, rather odd, but he's not mentally messed up or unstable or anything...just very, very, very quirky. I think because of Gil's family circumstances, he was a loner both by nature and circumstances. His mom was deaf, his dad was somewhere in his own world, and that left Gil to entertain himself...so he fed into his passion for bugs and what have you, leaving him teh brilliant yet slightly quirky guy he is....

PS- I'm definitely not trying to put out any of you ladies ;) I think ya'll have valid arguments & good points ;p

7. gilsgal

gilsgal Lab Technician

Being the mother of one son with Autism Spectrum Disorder, and one son with Aspergers, I think that Grissom does show "shadow traits" of Aspergers. This does not necessarily mean that he has Aspergers, but that he does exibit some of the traits, although not enough to be officially diagnosed with either syndrome.

At the moment no-one knows the cause of Aspergers or Autism. While they believe there is a genetic component in some cases, there are other factors to consider as well: vaccinations, comprised immune system. I do know people who have had children with an ASD and no-one else in their family has even a shadow trait.
    I do think both of my sons have come by their ASD genetically as Mark and I both exhibit shadow traits, as does my father and Mark's father.

"And here endeth the lesson"...lol ;)

8. Criminologist86

"And here endeth the lesson" I LOVE it :)

I had no clue you had a kid with Aspergers! Wow....is it difficult to deal with? Sorry if I'm being nosey...You KNOW you can tell me to shut up ;)
    I guess if you see it,there's no reason to disagree...I don't know much about it so I'm just going off of what I see/think...Did youguys get vaccines? That caused my brother's issues & also a girl we know went diabetic overnight as a result of vaccines...but that's another story ;) And, I guess I've been bred with the criminological aspect of my Crim Justice degree (meaning a TON of theory that's pretty much worthless) I've had socialization POUNDED into my head for the past like, 2 years, so ALL I think when someone talks about a social problem or someone not having friends or whatever is SOCIALIZATION!!! LOL It's sad....Oh, bud, what are 'shadow' symptoms? Are they symptoms that mimick real symptoms or are they not 'official' or what?
    Thanks for the insight :)

9. gilsgal

gilsgal Lab Technician

I have 3 boys, ages 20, 16 and 11. The eldest has Aspergers, the youngest has high functioning Autism. I don't think vaccines activated either of my sons' conditions, but I do know of other kids who were fine until they had the vaccine.

One of the differences between the 2 syndromes is that with Aspergers there is no speech delay. Kids with Aspergers often sound very grown up and like little professors when they are young. Kids with ASD(Autism Spectrum Disorder) usually experience some form of speech delay. My youngest son did not talk without echolia until he was almost 5 years old. Both are socially awkward and have few real friends. It can be very frustrating but I wouldn't trade either of them for the world. They are the most inspirational, genuine, and sweetest kids you'll ever meet. Of course I'm slightly biased...lol :rolleyes:

Shadow traits are traits that an individual may have ie:social awkwardness, an all consuming need for routine, a need for extreme order etc, but because it is only one or two traits, there not enough symptoms or traits to form a diagnosis of ASD or Aspergers.

So to get back on track: Grissom had shadow traits of Aspergers ie: social awkwardness, was overwhelmed in social situations and had narrow field of interests that consumed him, but it's not enough to diagnose him with Aspergers. :)

10. americanstalker

americanstalker Witness

That's what I meant. Sorry I didn't make myself a little more clear. :(

11. gilsgal

gilsgal Lab Technician

That's OK americanstalker, I wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad. Crim had asked for some clarification, so that's why my LONG winded reply and of course the fact that it is a pet topic of mine. ( It's that bit of Grissom influence to lecture sneaking out) :):rolleyes:

12. Criminologist86

GG: o_Ooo....I get it now ;p
    Of course you're biased! LOL I guess I could see where the A.S comes in....I still stick with my lame socialization street but that's cos it's pounded into my head forever....LOL So that's kinda what I tend to go with...I'm getting a Criminal Justice degree but @ EMU we take a multi-discipline approach to it and so we get a LOT of social stuff (the Criminology aspect of my degree) as well, as it's a multi-discipline approach.

He probably was isolated (hence the social awkwardness) because his mom probably didn't go out much due to her deafness, his father, well, whatever was up with him, I doubt he was very sociable, either. Gil might have had to grow up faster than he should have, which would impact his social skills and tendencies....He could have a psychological issue (if you call A.S a 'psych' problem) that stemmed from genetics or a lack of proper or enough socialization. IDK...watch the Soc chick get on here & tell me I'm SO wrong! LOL Hey, I deal with it as it relates to crime & criminality....but I figure it's about the same thing in this situation....

13. erep

erep Witness

I'm assuming I'm the "soc chick". God, that made me laugh!!

OK -- Gilsgal did a nice job summarizing what I think are the differences between Asperger's, high functioning autism, and "shadow traits." In my opinion, Gil AT BEST has some shadow traits. Nothing more.

I get a kick that this is even being discussed at all..

As for Criminologist86's theories...well, yeah, you could argue that. But? What do we KNOW about Grissom (from the show, not from fan fiction)? We know he had a deaf mother and that his father died when he was young. We know he knows sign language, that he is incredibly smart, quirky, likes classical music and Shakespeare and opera and poetry and that, as far as we know, he has no siblings. We know he can pull double- and triple-shifts and that he likes baseball (and Sara). We know that he is totally capable of forming attachments (think of his attachment to Warrick, or Nick). He's totally capable of emotion though he is very strong on self-contol.

I don't think we know (or even have much evidence for) any lack of socialization. In fact, the kind of proper way he treats all people tends to argue, at least in my mind, for some pretty impressive parenting somewhere along the way. I don't see ANY evidence of a psych problem (unless you count not getting together with Sara earlier, which I think is best explained by his anxiety over the age difference and status differences in the workplace -- something most thinking guys would consider).

In short: Grissom's healthy and normal, albeit unusual and interesting. :)

Soc Chick

14. Criminologist86

I TOLD you you were gonna tear me up! LOL This is why I'm getting a Criminal Justice degree, NOT a Criminology degree ;) LOL I get drop kicked in the theory department ;p I suck...Oh well, I felt smart at the time ;)
    Yes, Soc Chick you are ;) I'd forgotten your username and I knew you were a Sociologist so I figured I'd refer to you as Soc Chick ;) I LOVE your pointing out that he's formed attachments with people...See, this is why you're brilliant like that. I'd never have caught that unless I'd thought about it quite a bit longer...LOL

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree with your conclusion...I like it best :)

15. erep

erep Witness

I really hope I didn't come across as "tearing you up" -- didn't mean to if I did! This is just so fun to discuss. If I were Billy, though, I'd be rolling my eyes, drinking a beer and saying, "OH. MY. GOD. THEY. NEED. A. LIFE." :lol:

So, off I go to make my kids' dinner and clean up the kitchen and face a pile of poorly-written, poorly-argued and sometimes funny student papers. :)