Who Here is Going in to Forensic Science?

If I pass Chemistry, I hope to study Forensic Anthropology at the University of Dundee(Scotland), or do a bachelor's in biology at Glamorgan (Wales). I'm hoping to go to Glamorgan, as uni fees are cheaper in Wales, whereas where I live, they're scarily high!

Well I got "A"s in all my science courses so far:

Physiology
Biology (1,2)
Chemistry
Biochemistry

and I'm trying to maintain that in Microbiology this semester so it will look good on my applications for my master's degree in DNA Analysis abroad....probably Scotland

For everyone that hasn't started university yet, one advice : don't study forensics straight away, do physics or chemistry (probably chemistry), biology, basically science. Some of my friends went to an american college to study forensics, and now they're going back to uni to study a "general" science... If you've got a degree in chemistry, you can study forensics afterwards, get paid higher, and in a broader area, that's not the case if you've only got a forensics degree. Or so it seems

thegluups said:
For everyone that hasn't started university yet, one advice : don't study forensics straight away, do physics or chemistry (probably chemistry), biology, basically science. Some of my friends went to an american college to study forensics, and now they're going back to uni to study a "general" science... If you've got a degree in chemistry, you can study forensics afterwards, get paid higher, and in a broader area, that's not the case if you've only got a forensics degree. Or so it seems

I agree 100%. Most forensics can be taught on the job, and be more valuable training that you will get in school. More of those who can do...

The stronger core science skills will help you more in the long run than dropping some of the science classes for administration of justice/legal classes.

I was going to do it for a long time (I'm only a junior in HS) but I really enjoyed it. We had a Forensic Chemist come into my AP Chem class and talk to us about it and after hge did I was kinda turned of by it. I still think it's really cool, just don't if it's really all for me..

I want to get into Forensic and work in Ballistics for the RCMP. I had to do a lot of research for my CALM and Career by Design classes and in Canada you can either go through regular police and work for the city as a cop first or go through the RCMP and straight to the lab. I'm going to get my bachelor of Physics at UBCO and then my Criminology Degree at SAIT. alas, first I have to get through high school. :D

I take forensic science as a science course in high school currently. Its pretty cool. I decided about two years ago that I wanted to go Forensic Psychology. Its a really awesome field.

I'm wanting to be a Scenes Of Crime Officer (U.K. version of a CSI). I got inspired by CSI like many others, but a few years ago my schools Career Officer came into one of my classes and he asked my what I'd like to do in the future. I told him I wanted to be a CSI, being the fat jerk he is told me not to bother, it's a rubbish job and is nothing like the T.V. show. About a year or so after that I went to university during my October brake and did a short course on Forensics which dealt with finger (sp?) printing, which I enjoyed. Then last year I got a chance to spend a week with my local Police force and with that got to go to their "Identification Bureu" which is like the Forensic labs. There I got to talk to a real SOCO and got loads of info on the job and a look at some of the scenes they had to deal with. I've gotta say, I have a strong stomach but seeing them photos of dead bodies and stuff was making me a little bit sick. But after speaking to the SOCO there I am determind to get their no matter what anyone says or thinks. And if you are the same go for it, you only have one shot at life. Live it your way 'cause you never know whats round the next corner. And I know.

Back