Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!!!)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Oct 12, 2008.

?

Is a D/L baby a good thing for CSI: NY?

1. Yes

89 vote(s)
    41.6%
  2. No

84 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. I'm not sure yet

40 vote(s)
    18.7%
  4. No opinion

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

Re: Your Thoughts on the upcoming Danny/Lindsay development (SPOILERS!

After a few hours of sleep, I've come to realize that what I caught was foreshadowing. I think Lindsay is/was worrying about being 'late' and is trying to determine whether she wants to include Danny on that concern. That's probably where I'd be if I thought I was pregnant and scared about it. Questions like 'Is he going to help me?' and 'Will he hate me?' are probably racing through her head.

If I'm wrong, just let me be wrong. :lol: I've never caught any of the writers subtleties concerning those two. So, I'm going to bask in having caught one and applaud Anna Belknap for coming through. :guffaw:

2. christalann

christalann Hit and Run

AMEN!!!

3. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

I'm with you on that!

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Ok, my darlings, the Apocalypse is nigh.

Well, maybe not, but in a few hours we'll start to get the first real hint about whether or not this baby drama will be good or bad for the show. (I have my opinions, of course, based on what we know of the show, the writers and the characters so far - but you never know when they'll put something fantastic out of their arse. It seems that I have managed to retain some small shred of optimism in spite of myself.)

I'm at the point where I just want to get on with it - just rip the bandaid off, as it were.

Once they go there, they can't go back, so I hope they make the most of it - or at least do as little damage as possible. :rolleyes:

5. Jessica6

Jessica6 Police Officer

I have a feeling that people arent too pleased with tonight's episode and how "it" all went down. But I thought it was done well. I dont necessarily like how Lindsay said the whole "I know you..." bit. BUT, I do see where she'd be coming from. They both were emotional. I think I'm almost, slightly, kinda, maybe, a bit on board with this baby business.

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I don't want to be too spoilery, even though this thread has spoilers, since the episode hasn't aired everywhere yet. However:

I'm not seeing much to indicate that this won't be "typical". And as much as I love Lenkov, he kind of brings the cheesy to the yard.

7. Shytownmofo

Shytownmofo Lab Technician

Ugh. I hated it. I don't want to be too spoilery here either, but...yuck.

What I think was the worst about it was that it makes the idea that Danny is the bad guy, and "Screwed up" canon. It further cements that Lindsay is a Mary Sue character and can do no wrong.

I mean, She did nothing to reach out to him, and drove him to sleep with Rikki, but still, he screwed up? No, I don't think so....

And what is this noise about "I know how you are, and I don't expect anything?" I mean, honestly, Danny is one of the most loyal people on TV. I can't see him abandoning his unborn child. I can see him bending over backwards to make things right for him or her.

I actually kind of like their scene at the end....So typical of their relationship....As an aside, I was watching the ep with my mother, and even though she's not into all the shipping stuff, and I don't think she even cares about subtext and that stuff, she said that the idea of Danny and Lindsay having a baby was scary....That says everything that needs to be said right there.

8. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

deleted

9. MissKraft

MissKraft Rookie

I voted "no".

The PTB did not so a hot a job with the L/D storyline, up to this point, and do not agree with it being a good idea.

I wonder how far, the storyling will go, after the baby is born?

10. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

After seeing The Box, I am even further convinced that the baby won't be a good thing for the show, or for either character involved in it. For one, it was LINDSAY'S pregnancy, yet the story was all told by Danny, and all we see is Danny's point of view and feelings. The fact that the whole story, according to the writers, is going to be told from Danny's POV even further reduces the chances that Lindsay will ever get more development for herself or away from Danny. It's a real blow for the future of Lindsay (if there ever was one), and I'm surprised that Anna Belknap isn't insulted by what they are even further reducing her character to. From the example of this story we've seen from this episode, this baby is going to tie her to Danny forever and never allow her any further development.

Also from what I've seen, its going to hurt Danny's character as well. The whole storyline with Rikki and Rueben was sad and heartwrenching, and obviously had an effect on him...but all he can say about Rikki was that she was the other woman, and Lindsay "knew'' about her. We've never seen any evidence of this canonly, and the fact that Lindsay's behavior in that episode was seen by many (including myself) as childish and immature makes me believe that TPTB was using Danny to okay Lindsay's actions and make Danny take the fall for it. If Lindsay knew about Danny/Rikki, then her actions and feelings would have been justified, instead of coming off as childish--so how do you fix this? Have Danny say he thinks Lindsay knew about it so people will believe it. Once again, TPTB is using Danny to prop up Lindsay, and if things work out the same way they did last time, his vibrant and complex character is going to be reduced to "baby daddy."

After what I've seen that these same writers are capable of in previous seasons and storylines, its sad and frustrating to see that they are resorting to this...

11. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I don't think it's a good thing, for the show or the characters.

Danny and Lindsay both have flaws, which is fine, everyone does. But when they're together, they seem to really bring out each other's flaws. Now that they're having a baby together, I think that will continue. Danny and Lindsay aren't good together, IMO. Their relationship is immature and unreliable (on again, off again, up/down, each pushing the other away at certain times). They don't really seem to understand what the other wants/needs from the relationship - that was shown in their problems in s4, when Danny seemed genuinely shocked to discover Lindsay thought of herself as his 'girlfriend' - I think up to that point he hadn't thought of their relationship as being serious. And Lindsay pushed Danny away in s3, and then in s4 she was the one wanting more closeness and involvement, the one getting upset about him pushing her away.
    Sometimes having a child together can save a difficult relationship. But I think having a baby will only strain Danny and Lindsay's relationship still further. Lindsay has already proved herself unreliable at times - when she was having various problems in s3 about the painful memories caused by what happened with her friends when she was a teen, she ran away from a crime scene, and in s4 when she was struggling with the problems in her and Danny's relationship, she left evidence out, when an inspector was around. What is she going to do when she has the stress of a baby to deal with? That's a big responsibility, and while sometimes having a baby can make a person 'grow up fast' and become more responsible, I can't see that happening with Lindsay. Danny too has his share of problems - he's not the most responsible of people either, although I can see him becoming more responsible with a baby. But he's still grieving over Ruben, still feels responsible for his death - will having a baby, his own child to be responsible for, really be the best thing for Danny right now? Finally, there seems to be a good deal of resentment and confusion between Danny and Lindsay right now, and is that really the best environment to bring a baby into?
    If Lindsay was having a baby with someone else, despite my doubts about her ability to be a mother at this stage, or if Danny were to have a child with someone else, even with my doubts about his emotional state re children - I would be happier with the storyline. If Lindsay was in a relationship that was more secure and certain, and with someone that brought out her better qualities (yes, I do believe she has them) then I think she could be a good mom, or learn to be one. Also, at least that way, the character would be more than 'Danny's love interest', and not a character so very much propped up by Danny. I would also be okay with Danny having a baby with someone else. Also, that way, the whole baby thing could be kept minimal in terms of story, and out of the lab, more a short personal arc for either character. But Danny and Lindsay having a baby together....I just can't see it.

From a writing POV, I am really p*ssed off about this storyline. I am sick of the writers messing about with D/L. The constant on again/off again status of it, the way it's written (they sometimes act like they're in a high school drama, not CSI NY, like they are teenagers, not adults in their 30s). In s4, D/L seemed to be coming to an end, and now suddenly they're having a baby together? I also worry the writers are planning to go the 'twu luv' path with D/L, which, IMO, really doesn't fit with the way they've written D/L so far. I personally don't think Danny and Lindsay love each other. There's attraction there, and they care about each other, but that's it. Danny's scenes with Rikki in s4 seemed much more tender and passionate than any of his scenes with Lindsay.
    And, just because two people sleep together twice and have a baby doesn't mean they love each other or fall in love. A baby can't be a 'fix all' for a deeply damaged relationship, and it shouldn't be, either.
    Finally, I wonder whether the D/L baby will cause problems for the lab in general. Mac and Stella seem to have let Danny and Lindsay's involvement slide, despite a warning from Quinn, but can they overlook this? Maybe Mac and Stella will, as both seem to have the attitude that Lindsay can do no wrong (Mac ignores or forgives her screw ups on the job, and Stella covers them) but what about Gillian and Sinclair?

Do we know for certain D/L will keep the baby? Maybe they will agree to give it up for adoption.

12. calleighspeedle

calleighspeedle Coroner

I think this story is a good idea if the writers handle it in the right way.

13. delkosgirl88

delkosgirl88 Hit and Run

I think whether or not the baby ends up being a positive or negative for Danny, Lindsay, their relationship, and the show in general depends on how the writers play out this story line. I am definitely interested in watching this development unfold, since I think only time will tell how this plays out.

14. KDKHm

KDKHm Dead on Arrival

I think the whole situation is cute,
    but i'm not sure where it's going to go from here.
    Like telling the team and dealing with work, because I thought that on the show staff members can't date.

15. chikitorocks

chikitorocks Victim