World Politics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

And in the we don't need this election category Canada will be voting for a new Prime Minster in May :brickwall: Stephen Harper's Conservative Government fell today on a non confidence vote brought on by opposition leader Michael Ignatieff. So thanks to Mr Iggy this election that nobody but the opposition wants will likely cost Canadians $300million dollars. For the next month and a bit we get to listen to all the same old sh*t that we've been listening to since whenever. With any luck Canadians will tell Iggy, Jack Layton and Blochead, whoops that should be Bloc Leader :D, Gilles Duceppe to take a hike and vote Stephen Harper in again :)

Opposition Parties Topple Harper Government

2. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

^^ Ah wonderful. It's strange how those who represent the people, get thru something like that and after the people's vote - nothing really changes ;)

There was lots of talk about our elections last summer. Since leader of the biggest party is also PM, last summer when my party (that is PM party) we changed leader, some people insisted that we'd have right away and not wait 10 months. That it's wrong that people of one party can choose PM.

Oh well, on 17th is election day and it's kind of exciting. Polls have thrown during this year True Finns (right wing) to same numbers with three biggest parties (conservatives, centre party and social democrats) and they are said to get almost 20 seats (of 200). But I don't know... I know in one area their leader will pull many along with probably huge amount of votes but how about elsewhere? Like in my area, we are quite big but their candidates are a bunch of neverheards. Their biggest star here said he won't continue and serious. Who wants to vote them? They are mostly middle-aged people, against immigrats, against same-sex marriages... they are soo conservative and like they''d be back in the early 1900s - I seriously cannot understand who in today's country, which IMHO is quite tolerant, would vote them? Perhaps it's just because young people don't vote but the older ones does and they are _not_ so conservative.

And the stuff is flying around. A week ago a few lutheran groups (some part of lutheran church, some not) released a vid in religions paper (for youth) where former bi-sexual told how with God she left her bad, sinner's life behind her and was strong enough to become heterosexual again.

The sad thing is that somehow people now link this to Christian Democrats (the party - that had nothing to do with this) ... god it's so annoying. I mean I don't understand it. When people get mad about "they are intolerant" and mad about their comments, but still they are intolerant in the same way towards those who believe. It's their personal belives. So? Let them believe. It's their faith... Ah it all annoys me so much.
    from every angle.

See...this election is driving me mad.

And oh yes. Nuclear power. Last year our Parliament gave permissions to two new nuclear power plants and now the discussion is back on because of Japan. I understand it if we get rid of power coming from Russia (since they are quite moody) but will building new ones cause thinking that no one wants to improve wind, water etc. power? Or like the Greens, nothing is good one. And it really pisses me of when people who are against nuclear power (I am in a way) pull Tsherobyl to discussion.

Man Finns are shitting all over 'em selves because of Japan. When earthquake and tsunami hit Japan that Friday, on Saturday in south pharmacies were our of iodine :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Erm.. now that was our election rant.

How about foreign countries? Looks like Libya is on a road to civil war, probably won't end until Gaddaf is dead and who knows how long it will go on. Now UN will probably have problem who is leading this. USA doesn't want to. Not really good for Obama, if promosed to pull troops out of Iraq and then he'd has to send them yet to another country.

So, that's my poltical rant. May containt many mistakes since I'm in a hurry since heading to sauna ;) Lovely 80c degrees there <3

3. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

4. Desertwind

5. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Ok. Seriously. I'd never thought they'd get so big % - I think around 15-16 would have been ok but almost 19%? Who the hell votes for 'em? They are anti-EU, anti-Euro, anti-immigration and god knows what else. Like living in the early 20th century.
    They went up over 15% since last Parliament elections...
    '
    My party dived, badly but that's to expect after 8 yrs as PM party and True Finns took lots of our voters. But my candidate still got thru, yaysies!

Here's from bbc.co.uk

Nationalist True Finns make gains in Finland vote

A nationalist party has taken nearly a fifth of votes in Finland's general election, the electoral commission says.
    The True Finns finished just behind the conservative NCP and the Social Democrats on around 19%.
    While the Social Democrats have called for changes on EU bail-outs, including the planned Portuguese rescue, True Finns opposes the plans altogether.
    A hostile Finnish government could theoretically veto the package.
    Unlike other eurozone countries, Finland's parliament can vote on whether to approve the measures.
    Correspondents say the increased sway of Euro-sceptics in Finland's parliament could hold up any further bail-out deals.
    As the biggest party, the NCP is tipped to lead the next government with former Finance Minister Jyrki Katainen likely to become prime minister of whatever coalition emerges, replacing Mari Kiviniemi of the Centre Party.
    'Invitation to talks' The anti-immigration True Finns won 39 seats in the 200-member parliament, final results showed.
    The conservatives' Jyrki Katainen is tipped to be the next prime minister
    That put it five seats behind the conservative National Coalition Party (NCP) - part of the current centre-right government and a strong advocate for European integration - and just three behind the opposition Social Democrats.
    The Centre Party - previously the largest party in parliament - won just 35 seats, down 16 from the last election in 2007.
    The strong showing for the True Finns meant the anti-euro party would at least "get an invitation to talks" on a new government, Reuters quoted party leader Timo Soini as saying.
    Celebrating the NCP's success, Jyrki Katainen played down suggestions that Finland would now cause difficulties for the eurozone.
    "Finland has always been a responsible problem solver, not causing problems," he said.
    "This is about a common European cause. After the elections, the biggest parties will begin to look for common ground."
    EU 'squanderers' Tampere University political analyst Ilkka Ruostetsaari told AFP news agency the election outcome was astonishing.

"The True Finns' victory, surpassing every poll and every expectation of a drop on election day... plus the total collapse of the Centre - the whole thing is historic," he said.
    Opinion polls had predicted a strong result for the True Finns but were giving the party around 15%, not 19%. In the 2007 election, the party had won just 4%.
    With its charismatic leader Mr Soini, the party rejects rescue funds for EU "squanderers", as well as opposing immigration.
    Speaking on Finnish TV, the True Finns' leader said he wanted to change the terms of the bail-out for Portugal.
    "The package that is there, I do not believe it will remain," he said.
    At the same time, he sought to assure other EU states that his party posed no threat.
    "We are not extremists, so you can sleep safely," he said.
    Analysts attribute much of his party's success to disenchantment with the big three mainstream parties who have run Finland for decades.
    Some Finns expressed concern about the surge in support for the True Finns.
    "They have strict opinions about everything," one young woman voter, who gave her name as Eevi, told Reuters.
    "Finnish people have always been very open, I wonder why we are now pulling off, closing up again."

Seats in parliament:

• National Coalition Party - 44
    • Social Democrats - 42
    • True Finns - 39
    • Centre Party - 35
    [those are the 4 biggest, some small places for Greens, Left Wing, Swedish People's party, "Others" and Christians]

6. Desertwind

And Donald Trump aka pompous jerkface continues to insult President Obama, now claiming he was a "poor student", even though he has credible credentials a political science degree and a BA plus other degrees. This guy is so self-centered & on his own silly bandwagon, he doesn't realize how ridiculous he is:klingon:

http://www.aolnews.com/category/politics/

7. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I stay away from saying overall 'ridiculous' but he's seriously undermining any credibility with so many of these statements, that's for sure.

8. Desertwind

Well President Obama did release his "birth certificate" but will Trump shut-up NO:scream: now he's questioning his college credentials. He needs to really shut his pie-hole, he's nothing as Obama called a "Carnival barker":lol:and Squirrel hair is accomplishing NOTHING:rolleyes:

http://www.aolnews.com/category/politics/

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Listening to CBS news right now. They are reporting that Osama Bin Laden is dead and that the U.S. is in posession of his body. President Obama should be addressing the nation any moment.

10. Desertwind

WOW, can you believe ths.. after 10 years, I'm waiting for the president to tell us how, and where?[​IMG]

11. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

12. shazza_018

shazza_018 A Daily Anthem Moderator

Wow, really he's dead..

I wonder how Al-Qaida will response to this, no doubt they'll be finding someone to replace him so this news isn't as good as it looks on the surface...

ETA:

Let us be in no doubt here that Al-Qaida will want revenge for this so America must be careful and on high alert. Obvious it's allies such as the UK could be a target as well for a major terrorist attack.

Edit to Edit :lol: :

Those from the UK which way are you voting:
    a) local elections?
    b) AV Referendum?

I'm voting for a labour candidate in the local election, and no to AV - I have my reason but the main one being it's a preferential NOT a proportional system, and the idea that potentially 2/3 ranked candidate winning due to the redistribution of votes doesn't impress me either. I really wanted STV or something like that.

And I say this as someone in favour of electoral reform and who was at one point a supporter of AV, I changed my mind for several reason. I do feel that electoral reform it in itself won't make the difference because voter turnout is low we need to focus on this also. I would be in favour of introducing compulsory voting if it was debating/discussed. Don't know if Cameron/Clegg are in favour of this but it's something to think about.

Also although I don't view myself as a Republician but isn't it time now to get rid of this aristocratic, self-serving monarchy that we have?

The Royal Wedding made me realising just what I pompous lot the royals are, I mean just take a look at their guest list :wtf: and Catherine Middleton is no commoner by any standard - she's from rich background isn't she? Privately educated, St. Andrews graduate and what not.

I don't hate the Royal family personally I just feel indifferent towards it.

Just because half a million people (many foreigners) turn up around Westminster Abbey doesn't me that the whole of the UK supports and are fully behind the Royal Family.

[/sorry for the rant]

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  13. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Very interesting results from our Federal Election last night.

Stephen Harper is still the Prime Minister :) and this time he has a majority :) Now we actually get some work done and not have the threat of an election hanging over the country every 6 months.

Michael Ignatiff, the Liberal Leader, lost his own seat in Toronto. He still is the Liberal Leader for now but since he doesn't have a seat in the House of Commons he won't be around for long.

Jack Layton, Leader of the New Democratic Party, is now the official opposition. This is the first time that the NDP have become the opposition. They soundly trashed the Liberals across Canada and in Quebec they helped eliminate the Bloc.

Bloc Quebecois Leader Gilles Duceppe lost his seat in Quebec. The Bloc only won 4 seats which no longer makes them a Federal Party. I never could understand how a party that only ran in Quebec and who's sole purpose was to ruin the country could be considered 'Federal' :rolleyes: Duceppe has said that he will step down.

So the number of seats each party held before the election. Conservative 143, NDP 36, Liberal 77, Bloc 47, Green 0 and Others 5. After last night Conservative 167, NDP 102, Liberal 34, Bloc 4, Green 1 and Others 0.

So it was a good election for some and a bad election for others.

With majority, Harper pledges to build 'great future'.

14. Desertwind

15. Desertwind

Joh Huntsman Moves To Shed Obama Brand By Aligning With House GOP on Medicare, & Debt Ceiling I swear no matter how many great things the President does he still faces constant opposition:confused:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/politics/