Why Lindsay REALLY Must Go (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Yeah, I think that's what I dislike most about the character now. The thing is, a character is only as believable as the actor makes it and, well ... if Anna couldn't be bothered to make Lindsay a believable character, then why should we even be bothered to take the character seriously?

Though this is purely speculation, I do wonder if Lindsay's status as the 'newcomer' and 'the star character's sexual interest' has something to do with Anna's/Lindsay's seeming attitude of, "I don't care how bad my acting is, I'm an important character on the show now and there's no way they're gonna kick me off!" That's the vibe I always get off Lindsay, anyway.

Like Crimeshark said, it's like she couldn't even be bothered. And if people really do come up and say that she has the right to 'relax' and 'not work so hard because she just had a baby and she's one of the main stars of the show anyway!' ... oh yeah? Taken a good look at her spectacles-wearing co-star lately? That guy has been working his freakin' ass off since the beginning, and I don't see him slacking off. Ever. Even though I'm sure he knows he's the favorite of the show.

2. bethybug

bethybug Hit and Run

I think it's both the writing and the acting that makes Lindsay so unwatchable. SHe's classic Mary Sue.

Good looks. Check.
    Falls in love with leading man. Check.
    Everybody loves her. Check.
    Tragic past. Check.

She's a character I'd expect from a fanfiction. Honestly. But that's no excuse for Anna's acting. I mean, hello! SHE WAS HIRED TO DO A GOOD JOB!!! Sorry, had to shout that. Why didn't they just cast a better actress who could've pulled it off? Melina pulled off some terrible writing on Guiding Light back when she was on it. It's half to do with the actress and half to do with the writers. Lindsay is dead weight and just needs to be cut out.

3. KellyGirl

KellyGirl Prime Suspect

Hi bethybug couldn't agree more its the writing and the acting... not sure if its Ok to ask this here but what is Lindsay's 'tragic' backstory supposed to be? Not sure if I've missed an episode or something, but to me she seems nervy and whingy about everything from informing parents to taking statments ... :devil:

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Her tragic past is that she witnessed her friends being shot to death in a diner after their high school graduation. As others have said, it wasn't really a crappy storyline--poor Melina had it much much worse with that atricious Frankie goes psycho episode--it was just Anna's acting that brought it down. Frankie's psycho turn was one of the worst things I've ever seen on television, but damn if Melinda didn't do a fantastic job with the crap she was given.

bethybug, she is definitely a classic Mary Sue, though I think she's a bit on the plain side--probably trying to underscore her her "everygirl" status. The character was originally supposed to be a blonde, blue eyed knockout, but they were probably afraid viewers wouldn't connect with that character as much. It seems much if not all of the point of Lindsay is as a gateway into Danny's pants, so making her more plain makes her more relatable to the average viewer (in the minds of the people who wanted her cast in the role).

privatename, I think you're right--why would the writers, who obviously have some great ideas, give fantastic storylines to someone who can't do them justice? It's a waste. As off-putting as it is to some of us, having her be simply Danny's love interest is probably the easiest way for them to put the character in the corner while still appearing to care about her development.

WhosLaughingNow, the crying scenes are the ones Anna sucks the most at. Well, those and the angry/hysterical outburst ones. Her crying is just so fake--it really is uncomfortable to watch. They should just leave the crying to Danny--Carmine does it much, much better. ;)

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what Anna's contract situation is with the show? I wonder if she signed a three year contract initially. If so, that would mean it would expire at the end of this season (season 4). How great would it be if they didn't renew it??? It's not likely to happen, and there's always the possibility that like A.J., she signed a 5 year contract. But I hope that's not the case, and that TPTB would seriously consider her performance before renewing her contract.

5. KellyGirl

KellyGirl Prime Suspect

Thanks Top41 I guess I did miss that I had a thoery it was something to do with her mother :p ... and youre right about Melina she did a fabby job with what was essentially jekyll/hyde panto performance from 'Frankie' :lol: ... I guess I can see the point of trying to cast a 'girl-next-door' to help viewers relate but Emily Procotr (blonde blue eyed Calleigh) doesn't seem to have that problem why? Because shes a great actress :D no one is goning to relate to a cringy actress or a character whos such a little-miss-know-it-all even if she is a brunette :rolleyes:

6. kimmekimmekimme

kimmekimmekimme Victim

if her character was not an immediate love interest of danny messer.. i would have liked it.. not beacause i'm jealous but because that part of the story is not that relevant.. and besides there's no chemistry between the two they're better of as buddies and maybe after 1 more season then the love between them should grow..

i just thpught of it today, i think kelly hu is a better partner for danny messer don't ya think?

7. Top41

Kelly Hu was great, and yeah, would have been much better for Danny. But, much as I don't like her with Danny, there's so much more about her character that's not likable for me. I guess because the intent from day one was obviously to throw her in with Danny, it's hard to separate her character from that, but yeah, I think I would have disliked her either way. The histronics, the "it's all about MEEEEE" symdrome, the bad acting...it goes beyond the silly romance. Though I don't like that Danny's character got dragged down with her.

Emily Procter is a perfect counterpoint--a beautiful woman who really can act and can be both strong and warm. Calleigh is one of the best characters in all three CSI shows, and I think they were trying to go for a Calleigh-like character with Lindsay. Maybe if she'd been cast better, but Anna can't pull that off, not by a long shot.

8. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

Oh crap. She was all poetic and stuff with those lines. Flack as well as Hawkes weren't a bit impressed. Psh. That's a bad one for both Lindsey and Anna.

My classmate and I (Kimmy, Fay... it was Bianca LOL) wrote a storyline for her following the "mothers" issue. It was like, she left a kid or whatnot in Montana or maybe she's not in good terms with her own mother. Tying it in with the Katum case is not only pointless, it was also irrelevant. I mean, they could've put it as, "I have problems with grieving parents (in general)" but nooo... if Anna wasn't pregnant at that time, I doubt they'll have the Katum thing.

Come to think of it, her "emoting" on the stand wasn't believable at all.

Emphasis on dragging.

Could be. But isn't that impractical? An extra leg that you don't really need. Not really vital to anything? More of a nuisance than a help?

I can find better OCs in really good fanfiction. At least them, I can tolerate.

I remember during the Frankie thing, that Lindsey asked Danny if they could do anything... she was like spacing out and blank... I was thinking "WTF?" That whole thing just didn't come across at all.

9. KellyGirl

KellyGirl Prime Suspect

Ahh so there was an issue with mothers just not a very realistic connection with the storyline ;) ....

Top41 I totally agree!! major Calleigh fan :D ... I wondered why if they intended to replicate that successful formula with another sexy blonde they changed their minds? going for relatable is more of an excuse than a reason given it was clearly not a problem with the Miami franchise so maybe they already had Anna in mind and changed the characters outline to fit her :confused:?

10. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

I think there wasn't really any connection with the storyline (what happened in s3) and the original plan (mothers thing). The writers can exhaust all their excuses and still they won't be half-convincing.

11. bethybug

bethybug Hit and Run

^YEah, the writers just dropped the ball with that storyline and it landed with a thud. Why don't they just write her out? Have her go back to Bozeman, kill her off, I don't care! Just get her off my screen!

12. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

YES! I've been waiting for someone to say that. Her character just seems like some crazy fangirl's dream, "like omg i could be on the show and get the hot guy as my boyfriend!!!!"...she really has no other purpose. take away danny, and lindsay is just another CSI or lab techie...there for apperances, not as a real character.

I've seen Lindsay fans try to blame the writers for her weak character so many times...yeah, its partially to blame, but as you said, those scenes in All Access were terrible storylines...but Melina Kanakaredes was excellent. All the other actors on the show can pull it together, and for lack of a better cliche, take the lemons they get and make lemonade. Anna can't, and she really stands out because of it..but not in a good way.

13. Top41

She's definitely like a bad cliche out of fan fiction--the new girl who comes in and impresses everyone and bags the hot guy while getting over her oh-so-tragic past.

14. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I just finished reading the article referencing the RTL interviews with Jorja Fox and George Eads, and I think this quote pretty much shows "Why Lindsay REALLY Must Go."

Compare how Sara's character has been developed despite being a love interest for Grissom from the get go to how Lindsay's character has been developed despite being a love interest for Danny from the get go. It becomes even more painfully obvious that the Lindsay character is pointless.

15. Top41

Yes indeed! I never thought of Sara as just a 'love interest for Grissom'--right from the get-go, Jorja made the character her own. Yes, she always had feelings for Grissom, and sometimes that affected her development, but I never felt like those feelings defined who she was.

The finale pretty much proved Lindsay is nothing but a love interest for Danny. Even her own storyline couldn't stand without him--he had to fly to Montana so we as viewers would actually care what the hell was going on with her, because they knew we wouldn't otherwise. :lol:

I notice the lack of promotion of her storylines/character in the promos for the shows, too. It's as if they know she's not a draw. Danny's plight factored into the On the Job and RSRD promos, Hawkes getting arrested for murder was highlighted in the Raising Shane promo, Stella's ordeal featured prominently in the All Access promo...despite Kid Rock being in the episode. ;) But Lindsay's big return and the reveal of her dark secret wasn't even in the promos for "Slight Out of Hand." The only time she makes it into the promo as a highlight (as opposed to just part of the case) is when something's going down between her and Danny--like in Love Run Cold or Snow Day.

Lindsay on her own doesn't matter--it's just about her romance with Danny. Isn't that the very definition of a love interest character?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.