Why Lindsay Must Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good question. She sucks as a CSI, she's not a nice character, she treats her love interest like crap, she lets her emotions get in the way of her job every time...in the real world, she'd have been fired by now. Aiden was fired for cutting into an evidence bag, but Lindsay leaves crime scenes, complains about her job, goes against orders and sees a suspect in jail...and yet she hasn't even been so much as reprimanded. Danny has been raked over the coals for much less.

And then there's the portrayal. There's something so unpleasant about her--I was watching the last few minutes of "Wine and Roaches" last night, and there's just something grating about her. Ugh.

And if the above spoiler is true, it sounds like she's not going to be getting any better next season...

^ Exactly! The character is painted as this wholesome little mid-western girl and apparently that's supposed to make it okay that she lets her personal problems not only interfere with her job, but literally prevent her from performing her job duties. At least Aiden managed to gather the evidence she contemplated tampering with, rather than simply leaving the crime scene without excuse or proper explanation. Anyone who can't do their job needs to go home. It's that simple and was made abundantly clear to Danny.

Danny was raked over the coals, even though his missteps could be justified as doing what he thought was in the best interest of justice. Lindsay, on the other hand, simply acts in her own interests. Screw the victims, if a scene or situation is too difficult for Lindsay she simply bails out. :rolleyes:

^The character's complete self-absorbtion is really what I can't stand about her. No matter what's going on, it's all about her. Even when it's not about her, she makes it about her: take for example, "All Access" when she screams at a suspect and storms out, forcing Danny to cut short an interrogation and chase after her. Yeah, she claimed she was worried about Stella, but did her "Look at me!" antics do anyone any good? How did that help Stella? No, basically it was an attention whore move to Danny to ask her what was wrong. If it had really been about Stella, she would have quietly pulled Danny aside in the lab or during some downtime and said, "You know, I'm really worried about Stella. Have you heard anything? Do you think there's anything we can do to help?"

The problem is there's a lot of description that was probably on paper that just never made it into the show. Supposedly she's sweet. Um, I've never seen an ounce of evidence of that. When has Lindsay ever been sweet? Sometimes she's decent at her job--when she bothers to do it and not get wrapped up in her personal problems.

If there was something likable I could find to latch onto I would. I wasn't the biggest Mac fan in season one or two, but I could tell he did care about his team, and that went a long way for me. Even if Mac has a huge stick up his ass a lot of the time, there's basic goodness there that I can respect and enjoy about him.

Not so with Lindsay. There's just nothing likable about her. She's cold, she uses people, she only thinks about herself...there's just not anything to like there.

I agree Top and MrsG. You would think that no one else would want to be at a crime scene with her because it is obvious the only back she has is her own. You'd also think that she'd be near, if not at, the top of Mac's shit list with her antics.

If they're going to keep the character around, it would make so much sense to do what was suggested by someone here and make her the bitch co-worker that no one likes and dreads being on a case with. But then we'd be subjected to more of Anna Belknap's attempts to portray more than just happy fluff. So yeah, keeping her in any capacity is a lose situation. I keep dreaming TPTB will wake up soon and figure it out. Then someone (preferably Flack, but at this point anyone works for me) can put a bullet between her eyes.

Dreaming about that, and being able to vent in this forum, keeps me in my CSI: NY happy place.

Did we not come to the conclusion some pages back that she would be perhaps best used in a strictly lab-based capacity?

I've pretty much stopped watching NY because of Lindsay. I'm sorry, but the character makes me want to gouge my own eyes out with a spoon, and I decided my time could be better spent watching a show which didn't make me want to lob bricks at my own TV. So I haven't been around much, I apologise. I do get this thread sent to me via e-mail though, and it's good to know that even after all of this time, and 25(!) pages, our opinions haven't changed much.

Silencer, it's a shame that you stopped watching the show because of Lindsay. :( I know of at least one other person who did as well. It sucks that one horrible character can ruin a show, but she really just grates in every scene she's in. I only caught the last few minutes of "Wine and Roaches" and she managed to annoy me in just two small scenes.

PA, I'm with you--if they're not going to ditch her, they really should have the other characters get fed up with her self-involvement. I'd love to see Stella snap at her and tell her to get over herself, or Flack to snark her like he does suspects. He barely seems to tolerate her as is, so I'd love to see that played up...

OMG!! I didn't know so many people didn't like Lindsay...Yup!! She can be grating at times and she can get pretty annoying faster than you can say the word "Go!"

It's a shame that some even stopped watching the show because of her character.

Anyway, just wanted to add my $.02 into this.

PerfectAnomaly said:
I keep dreaming TPTB will wake up soon and figure it out. Then someone (preferably Flack, but at this point anyone works for me) can put a bullet between her eyes.

PA, we've just started the re-runs of Season 3 here in the UK and this week's episode was 'Not What It Looks Like' and if you remember L was ALMOST shot dead by the African Jewel dealer. Unfortunately he was far too slow a shot for my liking :mad: :mad:

I am so glad I own season one on DVD.

What I hated most about Lindsay's role in Snow Day was that she was used as a plot device: a reason for Danny to be taken hostage.(and for him to take his shirt off.) She and that sex scene didn't need to be in the episode, if you removed them the plot wouldn't change much.

She's supposed to be a main character! She's in the opening credits, you'd think she'd be doing something that had some real impact on the plot. I mean, she was totally useless. Adam's a reocurring character and he was way more important than Lindsay was.

I think I may skip season four. Having the Danny/Lindsay relationship out in the open maybe less irritating than the constant will they/won't they, but I really don't want to watch two people with zero chemistry making goo-goo eyes at each other.

What really bothered me was to see that all the people who support Lindsay is Danny and Linsay shippers, until I understood why. The only 'remarcable' thing Linsay does in the show is be around Danny, so if you like her you gota like that too.

At the begguining, I didn't had anything against her, she was just a character, and like all others who where introduced in the middle of a serie, no matter which one it was, she needed to define herself. Two years later we are waiting fo her to decide which kind of personality is going to have, apart from being annoying and self-centered.

I'm with Carrieattheprom, if you take Lindsay out of Snow day, the story wouldn't be damaged. And just one more thougth; the episodes where Anna couldn't be because of her maternity leave are not missing her character. The stories developed just great withaut one of the 'main characters'; and as I learned in the university, if you take an element out of the script and the story herself is not damaged, that element is innecesary 'cause it don't give anything to the story.

poison girl said:
What really bothered me was to see that all the people who support Lindsay is Danny and Linsay shippers, until I understood why. The only 'remarcable' thing Linsay does in the show is be around Danny, so if you like her you gota like that too.

At the begguining, I didn't had anything against her, she was just a character, and like all others who where introduced in the middle of a serie, no matter which one it was, she needed to define herself. Two years later we are waiting fo her to decide which kind of personality is going to have, apart from being annoying and self-centered.

I'm with Carrieattheprom, if you take Lindsay out of Snow day, the story wouldn't be damaged. And just one more thougth; the episodes where Anna couldn't be because of her maternity leave are not missing her character. The stories developed just great withaut one of the 'main characters'; and as I learned in the university, if you take an element out of the script and the story herself is not damaged, that element is innecesary 'cause it don't give anything to the story.

You guys are quite right. Come to think of it, the show could go on even without Lindsay in it. It's not as if she'll be missed.

poison_girl said:
What really bothered me was to see that all the people who support Lindsay is Danny and Linsay shippers, until I understood why.
Me playing devil's advocate, or whatever it is you'd say in this situation: not all people who like Lindsay are D/L shippers, although around here it seems that way. ;)

Carrieattheprom said:
What I hated most about Lindsay's role in Snow Day was that she was used as a plot device: a reason for Danny to be taken hostage.(and for him to take his shirt off.) She and that sex scene didn't need to be in the episode, if you removed them the plot wouldn't change much.
Exactly! And poison_girl makes a good point as well. She's a main character, but she was pretty pointless to the plot of the episode. I can't help thinking that the time they took up with that gratuitous 'love' scene could have been put to better use with the plot itself.

Carrieattheprom said:
She and that sex scene didn't need to be in the episode, if you removed them the plot wouldn't change much.

Hmm, didn't Lindsay say to Danny "you're lucky, you got a later shift" (or something like that, I don't know the exact words)? Doesn't that mean that if Danny didn't traded shifts with her, she would be the one who was kidnapped and not Danny? I don't know how Lindsay would have handled it, just because of the fact that it didn't happen. She could be acting like a wuss, but because I can see good sides in Lindsay too I think that she would step up and handle the situation just as good as Danny did or even better. I like Lindsay, it must be tough coming from Bozeman to NY but she has managed it I think. Even Stella and Mac thought she was a good addition to the group after Lindsay's first interrogation in the episode with the lotto coupon. I can't remember that anyone in the group has said anything negative about Lindsay's work ability. But maybe you can? ;)

But I must say that I thought it was stupid of Lindsay just to take off when she arrived at a crime scene, in the episode when Stella found out Lindsay had survived a murder case when she was younger. She could have talked to Stella and asked for an another case or labb work. It didn't feel like Lindsay at all.

I didn't mean Danny not taking Lindsay's shift, I meant if it was rewritten so Lindsay didn't appear in the episode at all, if Danny had the earlier shift, then there wouldn't be any major impact on the story at all. It'd pretty much be the exact same story. That's what I was trying to say.

Mac and Stella's comment about how wonderful Lindsay was felt very forced to me. Like it was being rammed down my throat that Lindsay was so great. They shouldn't have to tell me that Lindsay's great, I should be able to see it myself.

Lindsay changes so often it impossible to tell when she's "out of character." It struck me as weird that she'd abandon that crime scene when in Manhattan Manhunt when the crime was virtually identical to the one she survived she wanted to stick around and process the scene and sulked when she got sent back to the lab.

Yeah, exactly. Lindsay easily could have been removed from "Snow Day" and it would have been no loss to the episode. Danny is simply on the earlier shift, maybe running late or having switched shifts with someone else. The point is, Lindsay was utterly useless in the episode, save for being a plot device. That can't be said for any of the other characters in the main cast.

And I think that sums up her character overall: useless. There's just not much to her, and the whole dark secret thing that was supposed to be so interesting and exciting fell flat because Anna couldn't handle the emotional scenes.

As for her character doing her job well--she's okay when she condescends to do her work and not say, storm out of crime scenes or ask someone else to handle the unpleasant tasks or complain for some reason or another. When she actually does her job, she's hit or miss. She's pushy about her theories and sometimes doesn't have the evidence to back them up ("People with Money") and is flat-out wrong. It's not like she's some sort of genius that's never wrong or is essential to the team. And yeah, it's true of all of the CSIs are wrong at one time or another, but they don't have the added negative of refusing to do their jobs when it doesn't suit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back