Why Lindsay Must Go, Part 4

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 22, 2009.

1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Hey! Nobody puts Danny's "baby" in a corner!

Yes, that was lame and yes, I just HAD to say it. :shifty:

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

*groan* :p

The original reports about Anna joining the show said she would start as recurring and then eventually be bumped to series reg - but by the time her first episode even aired, she was in the opening credits. Make of that what you will. *shrug*

I've watched things for other shows where people in charge waxed poetic about how Awesome a certain actor or actress was, and I was just sitting there wondering WTF they were smoking when they came to that conclusion. Sometimes I guess it just comes down to whether the viewer (or director or casting director* or costar) makes a connection with the actor.

* Funny story: I watched this movie once, and there was one guy who just made me go :wtf: - all I could see was him trying to act, forget about inhabiting the character or moving me with his performance or whatever. Then I watched the movie with the commentary on, and the director revealed that said actor made the casting director cry with his amazing audition (or whatever). Go figure. :confused:

3. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

I definately think this has been a problem. Last season even the actors didn't know if they were together, then this season a baby and a shotgun wedding. By not really committing to the relationship last season, trying to please everyone then rushing ahead this season they have created a relationship and storyline so full of holes and inconsistencies that I don't think either side of fandom is particularly happy with it. Possibly now that they are married things may improve in terms of consistency.

With regards to Lindsay, I think TPTB decided to go ahead with the Danny storyline basically as soon as she arrived, and while they didn't fully commit to/explain that storyline they didn't give Lindsay any real storylines that were independant of Danny, leaving Lindsay in a bit of a 'no mans land'. In season 2 there were a few signs of Lindsay developing on her own but they soon gave up on that and since then everything about Lindsay has been explained through her interactions with Danny. IMO now she is just Dannys other half, and that is a background character at best.

4. Half

Half CSI Level Two

Yeah, you know what else can cause that? A puppy.

That would've taken some of the drama out of this storyline "What were you doing at the clinic?" "I.... I'm so ashamed... I'm allergic to dogs! I know you want a puppy, though, so I'm trying to get rid of my allergy so that you'll love me and we can be together!"

... Sorry.

*Ahem* Anyway, I never watch birth scenes on TV shows. Never. I don't really know why, but I've always found them really uncomfortable to watch. So it didn't help that the first thing I heard as warning was a very loud Lindsay-groan. Maybe it's realistic; I wouldn't know.

I still don't care for Lindsay, I really don't, but I found her scene with Stella to be the closest to actually emotion that I've felt from her in a while.

5. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

I found since the writers strike happened that most of the US shows I watch are losing the ability to differentiate between viewers and fans. Most of the people who watch this show, and others, have never been to a forum, but yet the background to the scripts are becoming increasingly fan-fictiony.

Ok, I know I'm on a forum (it's addictive) but I'm most definately a viewer, more specifically a crime show viewer. I want to see pretend people, pretending to shoot, stab, incinerate each other (or whatever). Then watch the facinating way the authorities go about aprehending them or God forbid failing (not looking it up in the 'knows everything' database) while the team go about err, well.... go about each other.

Now I agree that the team dynamic is important, though I buy that more with the original CSI, friends or friendly colleagues who don't necessarily live in the lab. They also have more than one lab rat that can talk and they're just as human as the CSIs.

Ok, just remembered this is the Lindsay thread. She did a nice waddle when she was going to the car after Adam.

6. under_cover

under_cover Hit and Run

Sagemint post from the other thread got my attention, although i only care about danny, mac and stella and i shouldnt be writing in here. i was actually surprised to see this thread when i first got here and thought this one is more like a high school stuff and i also find it interesting to read what you guys in mind, on how you react into things.

hyprocasy aside, i dont really like lindsay but i dont hate her but i would have write
    something like what Sagemint wrote after few days of backreading when i first saw this thread...but like what ivesaid, i only care about the 3, so why bother? but now i got somthing to say; i see this thread as a courthouse, heaps of lawyers are present ready to defend their clients, but one is missing, the judge or jury. how long the deliveration will take for them to give the verdict and close the case? all the evidences were given/presented already (in multiply times), lawyers have already said what they need to say(like a broken record). maybe its about time to close the case and move to the next case. por favor.

lastly, im really ignorant on the rules of online forums so hope you dont mind if i ask; what are the roles of moderators and admin in a certain online forum to play? What are their rules? is it "i make the rules and i break the rules"?

7. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

I think it's smart and a little stoopid at the same time. But, the fact of the matter is tptb want the ratings and this method certainly seems to work. It's interesting that the highest ratings for the latter part of the season have been the wedding and the birth. It's a shame that they have to resort to such tactics and it does make me wonder what they're going to do next.:rolleyes:

I think you're right. And also, they're together right now, at the place that they are because of Anna's pregnancy, but I still believe it's something they were heading to anyway (not necessarily the marriage and baby though). They were just going the long way around then the pregnancy gave them a shortcut. It worked to a certain extent and certainly a large part of the DL fan base seem happy with it. But, imo they have detracted from the characters to get there and that's a shame.

Aint that the truth. :)

And that is my hope. I haven't really enjoyed the current storyline (not really into weddings and babies) but I still like the characters and would like to see some stability between them in the hope of recapturing what I liked about them together in the first place. But, I'm not really holding my breath because I think tptb have found a forumula that they like and they're going to forever go back and forth with these two in some way, shape or form.

Ah, but it's the court of fandom opinion. Much like the court of public opinion there can be little regulation and certainly no conclusion. I tend to only comment in this thread when there's something new to say (at least I think it's something new:lol:). As with anything, there's a tendency to go around in circles but that's what happens when people debate and discuss. Certainly, right now I find this thread to be somewhere we can debate and still respect each other's opinions and that's cool. :)

8. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I thought Anna's contract was for five years, but not sure. Basically I'm under the impression it's not come up for renewal?

I'm pretty sure the only time they tossed themselves at each other was in Snow Day...:p

As for 'moving away from DL,' well, I keep coming back to the fact that between S4 and S5 the writers and execs planned and developed new and separate directions for Danny and Lindsay. It's a path I so wish we'd gotten to see. Connected? Hell, even the actors at one point didn't know if the characters were together or not. Not evidence of a resounding connection :lol:. Despite the soundbites, DL this season was not an inevitable, natural, 'Organic' evolution. DL in S5 was an improvisation, a path considered and integrated due RL events. And no one on the show would ever say that the adaptations were anything but fabulous and exciting.

I'd say personal taste is part of how we all read any character interaction, sure, but I'd hafta think that at a certain point some objective standard does exist, in terms of a level of quality in how well a script itself is realized (though I gotta say too that, barring an interview with the writers, directors, and actors in question, one might never know what they see nor how well one's personal reading matched up with their intentions, or even how they feel a finished ep matched up with their intentions...). I also think that there are intangible elements that arise in a mix and meeting of people that can carry over and read onscreen. That does not hafta equate with flirtatious tension. Consider for example Samantha Flack. I think Kathleen Munroe and Eddie had a great dynamic. A strong performance by the actors combined with a connection between them made them engaging and believable onscreen as siblings. I think Grissom and Catherine on CSI are another example there, they had a great dynamic too.

I don't really watch Miami, but did watch CSI for years, and still tune in sometimes. With Grissom and Sara, I remember the early stages of innuendo and interaction between them as being great fun, because for awhile I wasn't sure what it was really alluding to, if they were really gonna go there, if they were overtly flirting; I got the impression the actors played it so the characters weren't initially sure either, nudging to see what would happen. Just lines and looks that had me going '...what? ..did they... what did... hmmm...' kind of moments tucked here and there within the shows. And better, there were many other moments with them that were not based on a question of romance between them. When the relationship was developed a little more overtly, it did feel like a progression to me. Do I think there was an overtly blazing chemistry and sexual tension between the characters? No. An emotional link? Definitely. But I also think the two characters really took a considered, cerebral path to getting together, and also looking at what they had when they did. It seemed to take a long time to figure out what they felt and what they wanted, and that in itself was interesting and well played. I do think the performances were believable, nuanced, layered, I believed the relationship, very much believed there was an emotional connection between them (even when miles apart and sending letters, hand-written if I recall; thought it a nice way to show that connection, thru an equally considered, very personal touch in a default digital age).

A pairing like Flack and Angell on the other hand, is not one I'd say was based on a cerebral connection :lol: (not because they're not highly intelligent, they are, but because I think there's an undeniable Um Hello Hawtness about each as individuals). I do think there's a chemistry between the characters, I do think there's an intangible something between the actors that also translates onscreen.

I have never gotten any real sense of connection between Danny and Lindsay, nor chemistry. That's just how I read them, and I'm sure my personal taste does influence that, but objectively, I can't say their performances together have overwhelmed me or led me to believe these two characters are utterly compelled to be together, can't not be together, can't shake what they've got, can't leave it alone.

I never used to take such issue with DL, even though I never warmed to them. I was ambivalent for a long time, but that's crossed over into outright exasperation. Neither character has flourished. Screentime is usurped to be devoted to it. It? It. DL's an It on the show now :lol:. Other characters have been drafted to promote it's wonders. The baby and marriage means it will be a perpetual presence whether referenced overtly or not. And I'm not perticularly interested in sitting thru it to get to the rest of the show.

I'm also liking the discussion of differing points of view. :)

Just cause is the same across the board, no? (ie. misconduct, willful disobedience, gross and habitual neglect of duties, breach of trust, that sorta thing etc). I'd hafta believe it would be additionally tricky to terminate a contract with unions involved, that there'd be recourse to arbitration, which would be binding, and penalties if it was determined there was improper dismissal?

Do they show up for their calls on time? Yes. Do they show up drunk? No. Do they attend all rehearsals, fittings, functions, etc, asked of them? Dandy. Are they abusive or damaging to people or property? No. Do they behave within a certain standard of conduct? Lovely. Do they follow safety protocols handling replica firearms and weapons and other related scenarios? Damned straight. Do they work and play well with others? Great. Do they disrupt the set? No. Do they stand where asked, say the lines meeting direction given as best they can? Okay. Have they done what management asked? Guess so. Did they fulfill their contractual obligations? Apparently so.

She may stick out like a sore thumb, especially in a major role among this cast, but she is doing the work asked of her. There are so many hands involved in putting the product together - go ahead and try to single out one performer or writer or props master or make-up artist or editor or whoever as legally liable for the success or tanking of an episode, or a season, or a series...

TPTB may be delighted with Anna. Or, they may feel she's the weak link. I doubt they could fire her outright for that. Maybe they are trying to tailor the material and time allotted to her while still meeting their obligations. Compromise. Do what ya can with what ya got. And part of what they've got is DL. You bet they'll use it. And we've seen little of Lindsay outside of that for some time...

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Every thread on this board repeats itself. There's only so much people can say about anything without repeating themselves. If everyone only posted ideas or thoughts that had never been expressed before this board might as well just shut down.

I'm not a mod or an admin, but my interpretation of what they do is they try to keep the peace and make sure everyone is playing well with others. Sometimes people cross the line - I know I have before - and they provide friendly reminders of how to behave. Other times people blatantly ignore the mods, i.e., continuing the bad behavior after they have been told they need to stop, and then they get an official warning. If you break the rules enough you can get kicked off the board.

I don't see the mods or admins following a "do as I say and not as I do" philosophy. With Lindsay and Anna as an example because she's the most controversial character/actress on the board, it is OK to criticize the character and criticize the actress' performance. People do the same thing with other characters and actors all the time and there doesn't seem to be any problem with it. It's not OK to attack other posters just because they expressed a differing opinion, but it is OK to debate in a rational manner if there's disagreement.

The main reason this thread exists is because some people didn't want to debate or have criticisms of the character/actress in the Anna/Lindsay threads. They wanted a "positive" environment to express their like of the character and actress. The people who dislike them wanted to respect that as much as possible but also to have a place to be able to express their opinions so a seperate thread was created. The only difference is in this thread debate and differing opinions are encouraged. The problems arise when people only come in here to complain about the existence of the thread, to say the criticisms are "bashing" and "unfair" and "mean" without any intention of presenting an opposing argument or discussing anything or to make rude comments about the posters themselves.

Also, anyone at any time is welcome to open a thread to state why they don't like other characters. I've heard that there was an anti-Danny thread at one time. There was a "Why Angell must go" thread. For whatever reasons, those threads died out. This one is still going because people still see things about the character and actress' performance that annoy them enough to keep posting. I pesonally don't get why people are so offended by this thread that they take the time to complain about it and the people who post in it. I also get aggrivated sometimes at having to repeatedly justify my right to express an opinion even if it isn't the popular one. But obviously I'm one of the people who dislike the character and actress so it makes sense that I don't get it.

Last edited: May 9, 2009
  10. under_cover

under_cover Hit and Run

^^ noted and thanks! =). now i understand how this thing goes.

out of the topic: how to put an avatar and signature to my profile? cant see any options.
    sorry mates, its my first time to join a forum. please advice.

11. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

you have to wait 2 weeks before you can put avatar and signature on

12. under_cover

under_cover Hit and Run

oh two weeks?! thats too long. hahaha! joke! alrighty, thanks meggzie! (OT mode OFF )

13. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Sagemint got a warning for her post, so she's probably not the best example to follow. ;) Basically, this is a forum that's ruled by user interest--if a bunch of people want to talk about one topic, the topic will flourish. If no one is interested in a topic, it generally falls off the main page. As you can tell from this thread, a lot of people want to talk about why they don't like Lindsay and think the show would be better off without her. Because this forum doesn't censor opinions, the thread is allowed to exist.

As PA said above, mods and admins are here to keep the peace--namely to make sure posters don't get nasty with each other. We're not here to police opinions--people can post whatever opinion they have about the characters, the episodes, the show, etc. Bashing or slamming other posters for those opinions is not allowed. Hope that clarifies. :)

Back on topic now...thanks!

14. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

lol np i was annoyed by that too and then u took me ages to figure out how you actually do it :guffaw:

15. symbeline

symbeline Witness

I'm still halfway this thread and I was waiting until I reached the end to come here and leave a message, but I found these clips in youtube and I wanted to share with everyone:

Anna in Medical Investigation it was good until the end

Anna in Medical Investigation that's the problem, her facial expressions

I was reserving judgement on Anna's acting abilities because I've only seen her in CSI:NY, but I was curious to see her in another role so I could understand why her performance is always so off. Is it the actress, the role, the writers..?

Well, after seeing those two clips (I'm sure there are better and also worse Anna's moments in that show but I think that those two in particular are very illustrative), I realized that the actress has a lot of problems dealing with emotional/dramatic/other-than-light stuff.

In the first clip Anna is actually kinda cute, until she does a complete turn and has to emote and pretend she's upset. Let's just say ummm... yeah.
    And also, her laugh and her body language when she laughed were weird and seemed fake and forced.

And in the second clip, her facial expression past the 0:20 mark is hard to describe, she's as blank as a cardboard.

I dunno, maybe I'm seeing these signs because I don't like her in CSI:NY and I'm biased. What do you think?

Last edited: May 10, 2009