Why Lindsay Must Go, Part 4

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Nightrider

Nightrider Witness

I'm assuming that's Top41, and no I don't blame her for cornering him on the issue. :thumbsup: He essentially said that they were using him to give her character something to hold onto (or prop her up, IMHO). To me, that means that either the writers were all out of ideas and took the easy way out by putting them together, or that she was not a strong enough actress to hold her own. You be the judge. I know how I feel!

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Bumping this because I just saw an episode of The Handler, which Anna Belknap was a regular in back in 2001. I saw the same problems with her in that show that I do in Medical Investigation and CSI: NY--though in neither of the other shows is she as grating as she is in CSI: NY. She's just a very limited actress without much range.

As for the interview, I was just asking Carmine follow-up questions appropriate to his answers. The best interviews are conversations, so though I've always got a list of questions, the interview is as much dictated by the interviewee's answers as it is by what I start off wanting to ask.

I gotta say, Lindsay has become such a non-entity on the show that I no longer feel that she drags it down like she did in seasons two and three. She's inoffensive if not given big emotional storylines, and I kind of like Danny dealing with fatherhood. I'd still like to see him a single father, since I don't think they make much of a couple, but at least the silly back and forth stuff is gone.

What do you guys think? Do you still want her gone, or do you not really care anymore?

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

No matter what the scenario, Anna Belknap just takes me out of almost every scene she's in. Also, even if they keep Lindsay in the background Danny is still tied to her and that greatly limits and drags his character down. She's a detriment to the show even if used in a limited capacity and my enjoyment of the show is decreased by having the actress/character a part of it. I still want her gone.

4. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

I would like to say I want her gone and rant on for ages about the reasons why but I just feel like it is about as useful as hitting my head against a brick wall:p I don't think she is going anywhere but the season 5 ending provides us with at least a maybe and I enjoyed that interview very much:p

5. privatename

privatename Rookie

As PA said, Anna Belknap just takes me out of almost every scene she is in. I find her stilted and feel like she is just reading lines. She doesn't embody her character the way she should after so many seasons. All the other actors have managed to help create fairly nuanced and well-developed characters, she hasn't. I agree with Top, she is too limited and, for me, it grates whenever she is on-screen.

I was reading in the spoiler thread about how some people believe Lindsay comes across as cold and distant because she is supposed to. That is fine and one interpretation. I would actually be fine with a character like that, but Anna always seems stilted and awkward in all her interactions -- whether she is being cold and distant and blatantly rude or trying to be sweet, funny and upbeat (as in her scenes with Mac.) To me, she doesn't carry off any of it well.

Someone also likened her to the character of Sara Sidle on the original CSI. Maybe that kind of distant character was what they wanted for Lindsay (even though I think it really goes against how she was described and how she was first presented) but even though Sara was an emotionally distant character, I still thought she was a good character with a lot of depth. I liked her as a character even though I am not sure that type of person would be someone I would like to spend time with. And I think the actress (whose name escapes me) did a good job. So, if that were the intention and Anna had carried it off, then I wouldn't have issues with the character that I have.

And if they wanted her to be this cold-ish more distant character then frankly they should have had the other characters react to her the way they would react to that kind of person instead of having them all act like her "#$#$$ don't stink" no matter how badly she behaves because that is another aspect that takes me out of the scenes. It just isn't realistic.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  6. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

I agree Anna either doesn't put enough into her role or she is not good enough either way it is pretty bad.

And I think it is unfair to compare her to sara because even if Lindsay was supposed to be cold and distant like sara I think jorja fox played it brilliantly where as anna just seems blank really like there isn't much emotion there at all

7. Duke

Duke Witness

The weird thing for me is I loved her in the first few episodes of Season 2. The scene between her and Mac at the Zoo and when she found the shotgun in the Dumpster I enjoyed a lot. I usually take a while to get used to new characters and after Aiden I thought I was going to hate her, but I thought she was cute and perky and was going to bring so much to the show.

How wrong I was. By the end of Season 2 I really couldn't stand her. And whoever decided it would be "fun" to partner her up [emotionally] with Danny, should be choked. He's an amazingly complex character, he has so many facets and for the scriptwriters to saddle him with Lindsay who is just plain boring, emotionless and all the rest of it, is unfair. I always feel that Danny struggles around her, you know? Trying to make the best of what he's got to work with. It's annoying for me. [Prime example, when Reuben died and how insensitive and selfish she was]. As it is to say they're "soulmates" - load of bull. There's absolutely no chemistry between them. Snow Day was proof of that, when they were playing pool at Danny's place and she kissed him?? It looked awkward. No sparks and very uncomfortable. Whereas when Danny had his fling with Rikki - Wow! Then we had sparks!!

I dunno, I guess you can't like everybody on a show. I wouldn't miss her. When she went back to Montana for the trial, I didn't even notice she was gone.

8. raymakay

raymakay Dead on Arrival

I think the character of Lindsey looks great on paper. Country girl, maybe with a chip on her shoulder out to prove herself in the big apple. It could of been a great addition to the cast. The interaction with all the big city boys and girls could of been fun if done right. But Anna has never given this character any life. I find the character boring. Every expression is the same from happy to sad, even the tone of her voice never changes. And if Danny didn't call her "Montana" I would never know she was supposed to be some country girl in the big city. Even if her character is supposed to be cold and stand offish - I don't get that from her. I actually get nothing from her. Like Tops said Lindsey has pretty much become a non entity and I get no feel for her attitude or emotions. She's just there.

She gives us country girls a bad image. We're really not all that boring. I can hunt and fish with the best of them and like to think I could hold my own in the city and kick some "city slicker" ass if necessary and not even break a sweat or chip a nail. It's all in the attitude. It could even be fun!

9. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

I agree it started off on paper promising and a good idea but it sort of all went downhill from there:lol:

Totally agreed she gives nothing to the show really from when she is saying what she found at work or doing an emotional scene it is totally the same:shifty:

You would probably know by the fact that it is mentioned in nearly every episode for ages:lol:. but if it wasnt nothing gives her that country edge that you would expect.

10. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

Question for the Gallery:

Is it a form of subliminal messaging when during the opening credits of the show, every character is shown, alone, processing evidence or in pursuit of a suspect except Lindsay, who turns away from a microscope to smile a Danny?

Sure, she's alone when she swabs the steering wheel, but I couldn't help but notice that immediately afterward, she's smiling at Danny. I decided not to fill my glass after the 'pun to the opening credits' was made and made the observation. Lindsay is the only one to have another character in her scene. :confused:

Could this be an underhanded attempt to show us that this 'couple' is destined to be together and make babies and the like? I am still not convinced.

11. meggzie

meggzie Police Officer

Hmm never noticed that it probably is knowing them:shifty: and no im still not convinced either

12. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

I'm not a fan of this pairing, apart from Anna's flaws, I don't like how things have been handled, but I think that's reading a bit too much into a simple gesture. If they wanted to show they are oh so meant to be, Danny would appear in some way. Otherwise, seeing other character going after a suspect would mean they have something with the suspect?

13. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

Maybe I didn't clarify enough... Danny does appear in that snippet. She's turns to him and they smile at each other. Danny waving a gun or Flack jumping from a car while apprehending a suspect is hardly romantic or friendly. Any nonverbal gestures made by/between Danny and Lindsay may be questioned and interpreted as romantic, in my opinion.

Of course, that question may become invalidated as we can assume that they did the new opening before Anna Belknap revealed she was preggers, which was after they had filmed the first few episodes of last season before her announcement, which would have allowed them to change the plans for the season for D/L, thus allowing Danny to appear in her few seconds of the opening credits... :confused: :guffaw:

Long story short, for those two, 'simple gestures' = courtship. I just found it kind of odd that none of the other cast members have another person in their portion of the opening credits.

14. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I think it's more evidence for how little there is to Lindsay as a character outside of Danny. A big part of the character's appeal for a lot of people (not all, but a lot) is the romance with Danny. So showcasing that in the credits--specifically in Lindsay's portion of the credits--kind of underscores that and reminds casual viewers, "Hey! She's the one banging Danny."

15. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

Although they didn't change the credits to have both of them in the shot until S4, which is when they were supposed to be together. I'm wondering if they would have changed it had they had split them up as intended or left it. I didn't even see much of them as partners in S4. Lindsay worked a lot with Stella and some with Hawkes, and Mac kept Danny pretty close to him during and after the Ruben arc. I do like how they write Mac while someone is having a crisis. I don't know if protective is the right word, but he seems to like to keep whoever is on the ledge very close to his side.