"Why is it happening to me?" - D/L FanFic

Re: "Why is it happening to me?" - D/L FanFic

UPDATE :D

The two of them were silent and Danny focused Lindsay. She did as well focus him. The tears roll down her cheeks and Danny didn’t know what to do. He wondered if he had done anything wrong and why Lindsay didn’t say anything. It hurt him to see her cry, because he didn’t know why. Was it because she choked up or was it such a terrible thing to marry him?

Then Danny felt Lindsay squeezing his hands. Her face had lightened up and Danny felt his body relax a bit. He was able to give her a smile.

“Danny, I know I wasn’t that nice to you all the time, but I love you. I’m so happy that you decided to give me a chance after what I’ve done to you. I love you and of course will I marry you. You’re the one I want to spend the rest of my life with.” Lindsay said and gave Danny a giant hug. Now the tears went down his face and he kissed her passionately. They went into the bedroom and spent the most wonderful night of their lives together.

The next morning Lindsay woke up and watched Danny sleeping. She would be Mrs Messer in a few months and she was totally happy about that. She would’ve never thought about getting married to Danny way back to that day in the zoo, but now everything was different. Lindsay had found the best man on earth and she would never let him go again. She believed in a happy life with Danny.

Danny moved and opened his eyes. “Good morning Mrs Messer” He whispered.
I like that. Mrs Messer, that sounds great.”
“I’m so glad you said ‘yes’, sweetie.” Danny said and touched her nose with one finger.
"So you arranged that thing with my dad yesterday?”
"Of course I did. How could I have got you out of the apartment without the help of your parents?”
“I can’t believe my dad played that game” Lindsay said and laughed.
“If he hadn’t agreed I probably hadn’t done it”
"Then I got lucky that he agreed, didn’t I?”
"You really did. I love you, sweetie” He said and kissed her.

UPDATE :p

Danny and Lindsay spent two beautiful days in Bozeman before they had to go back to New York. They had invited Lindsay’s parents to New York, so they all would see each other in some weeks again.
At the plane Lindsay fell asleep and Danny watched her. Her blond hair fell flatly on her shoulder and Danny thought that this must be the way an angel looks like. She looked so peaceful lying there sleeping. Danny turned away and looked out of the window. In about an hour they would land in New York and Danny wondered how the others would react on the fact that he and Lindsay were engaged. The only thing he knew was that Mac wouldn’t care about a married couple. He didn’t say anything against their relationship before and even he had a relationship inside the team. What would his friend Don say? And Stella? She had been the one who had helped him after Lindsay’s rejection. The more Danny thought about it the more it seemed obvious. Danny was now sure that they would be happy for the two of them. He couldn’t wait to tell them.

About 45 minutes later Danny could see the skyline of New York becoming bigger. Danny felt at home. Sure Montana had been great, but Big Apple was his home. He had never been anywhere else for more than some weeks and every time he had been happy to come back home to New York. New York had been where he grown up and it would be where he grew old. Nothing could make him leaving ‘his’ town. Nothing but one simple thing, he thought. Danny knew he would leave New York if it was Lindsay’s wish. Sure it wouldn’t be easy, but for Lindsay he would do everything without any exception.
Danny poked Lindsay softly in her rips to wake her up. “Sweetie, say hello to New York”
"What?! We’re already back home?”
“We are. You slept all the way.” He smiled.
“I did? Oh, okay.” Lindsay said and kissed him. “Imagine what the others will say” Lindsay said and Danny knew what she meant although she had not exactly said it.
“I thought about it all the way. But believe me; they will be happy for us”
“Even Mac? You know what he thinks about relationships among his workforce."
“What could he say? He has a relationship inside the team as well. Peyton doesn’t keep him away from working and you won’t keep me away from it.”
“Me? Better say, you don’t keep me away from working, Mr. Messer” She said and grinned.
“He didn’t say anything against our relationship and why should our engagement change that? Mac is not as strict as we may think. He’s okay.”
“If you say that, it will be right” She said and kissed him.
An announcement said all the passengers should put on their belts because the plane was approaching to land. Danny and Lindsay did what they were told and some minutes later they left the plane. The two of them grabbed their trunks from the conveyor belt and ordered a cab home.

I'm in 'writing-mood'. Here's a second update for today :D

“What do you think? Should we telling them now or not until we’re back for work tomorrow? Lindsay asked.
They had unpacked their trunks and where now sitting together on the sofa. Lindsay’s head rested on Danny’s shoulder and Danny ran his hand over her right arm.
“On one side I’d like to tell them now, but we just arrived and I think we should enjoy the rest of our vacation even if we’re back in New York. Work starts tomorrow and we won’t get vacation that soon again.” Danny answered.
“You’re right. There’s enough time to tell them.” She said and put her hand on his chest. “I still have not completely realized that we’re gonna be married in some time.”
“Me neither. To me it seems just yesterday we met at the zoo”
“Don’t remind me of that day” Lindsay laughed. “That was the worst day of my life. My first day in Mac’s team and then your weird behaviour.”
“Weird?”
“Oh yes. Only after half an hour I knew you were kind of an ass who has to make fun of everyone and everything. And now? I’m marrying this guy. But believe me, I totally think different now. You’re nice, romantic and caring. If I wouldn’t know better, I’d say there’re two of you.”
“Two of me? Pray to God there aren’t.”
“Two Danny Messers would be definitely too much.” Lindsay said with a grin.
The two of them were silent for a moment.
“Can I ask you something?” Lindsay asked.
“Sure”
"Tell me about your dad. You never talk about him”
"When I was child my dad used to be involved in criminal things. He was hanging around with the wrong guys. When he was at home he was different. He was a good father. We did a lot of things like fishing in the Hudson. Then, when I was getting older, we got more and more in conflict. I saw that he was doing illegal stuff and I tried to get him away from it, but he always said I shouldn’t interfere in his business. That was when the relationship became cold. Sometime we even stopped talking to each other. I moved to an own apartment as soon as possible and then I never heard anything from him again. Some time after that he left my mum I always had contact to my mum and I still have, but I haven’t seen my dad for years. I don’t even know where he lives and what he does.”
“It must have been hard to see your dad moving away from you.”
“It was and perhaps that’s why I decided to become a cop. I never wanted to like my dad with all that criminal stuff.”
“It had been the right decision, Danny. It is not your fault that it went that way.”
“I know. But sometimes when I think back, I see all possibilities how it could have been. I just wish I could have a dad like you have.”
“I’m sorry for you, Danny”
“Don’t be. I almost got used to this situation. At least, I have my mum, Louie and you, sweetie. I’m glad that you’re by my side.”
"I love you and I don’t want to see you sad. So I’ll always be there for you. Whenever you want to talk about something”
“Thank you, sweetie.” Danny said and kissed her.
Later Lindsay went to bed and Danny stayed on the sofa and turned the TV on. He switched through the programs and decided for ‘Man on fire’ with Denzel Washington. Then he went to bed as well.

The next day Danny and Lindsay left their apartment and headed to work. When the elevator doors went opened they saw Stella walking towards them.
“Hey, guys. Good to see you back. You had a good time up in Montana?”
“We did and guess what…” Lindsay said and looked at Danny whose face was covered with a huge grin.
“We’re getting married”
“You’re getting what?”
"Yeah, Danny proposed to me.”
“You? I never thought you would do that, Danny” Stella said
“I never did myself, but this is what Lindsay made of me.”
“I’m happy for you two. After all that happened between you.” She said and hugged Lindsay and then Danny. “I’m going down for a coffee. You want one?”
“Yeah, why not.” Lindsay said and hoped Danny wouldn’t come, because she wanted to talk to Stella about an idea she had the night before.
“No, I’ll go and see Mac.” Danny said and went away. Lindsay and Stella took the elevator downstairs and left the building.
"Can you do me a favor?” Lindsay asked.
“Of course."
“Do you know anything about Danny’s dad? He told me he had not seen him for years and I’d like to invite him to our wedding.”
“That won’t be easy. As far as I know doesn’t he know where he lives at the moment. What about Louie? Perhaps he knows anything. If not, we can run his name through the computer.”
“Okay, that’s what I’ll do. I’ll call Louie and see what he knows. Please don’t tell Danny. I want to surprise him.”
“I promise. It’s great that you want to bring them together. It isn’t easy for Danny not to know what happened to his father. We talked about it many nights and he has not gotten over it.”
“I know. We talked last night. That was when I got the idea of searching his dad.”
“You really love him, right?”
"I do and I’d like him to be happy. I would do anything for him and if there’s a chance of finding his dad, I’ll take it.”
“If you need any help, just ask me.”
“Thank you Stella”
They bought a coffee and walked back. They took the elevator and Lindsay went straight to her office. She wanted to call Louie.

“Louie? It’s Lindsay”
“Lindsay? How are you doin’? Haven’t heard from you for along time”
I’m fine. Well, Danny and I have been a little busy.”
“Is Mac still burying you with work?”
“No, we spent a week up in Montana. Danny got to know my parents and his prospective parents-in-law.”
“You’re marrying?” Louie asked surprised.
“Yeah, your brother proposed to me and don’t say you wouldn’t have expected that from him. I’ve heard that many times before.”
“Danny is growing up.”
“He is.” Lindsay agreed and laughed. “But that’s not why I call you. I’d like to surprise Danny in a special way.”
“Okay, but how can I help you with this?”
“It’d like to find your dad. . . "
“You want what?”
“You heard right. I know Danny is really hurt and I want to bring them together again. Do you know where he lives or what he does today?”
“All I know is that he lives in some small village in Maine. I don’t have any phone number or address. I got a letter some months ago. He wrote that he is moving from Chicago to a village in Maine. Which one it is wasn’t in the letter.”
“Well, that’s at least something. With that I can run him through the computer. Shouldn’t be that difficult to find anything. Thank you, Louie.”
“You’re welcome. By the way, do you two want to come over for a cup of coffee at the weekend?”
"I talk to Danny and call you back later. In case he asks, you called me for invitation, okay?”
“Okay, and let me know if you find anything out.”
“I will.”

Lindsay saw Danny passing her office and she waved to him. Danny smiled and walked over to her.
“Louie invited us for coffee for the weekend.”
"Louie called you?”
"Why not? We became close after we met at the hospital.”
“Okay, okay. Do you want to go?”
“I do. I said I’ll ask you and call him back later. So what do you think?”
“We go. Haven’t seen him for ages.”
“Great, I’ll call him later. What did Mac say?”
“He’s happy, but he hopes that we’ll do our job as well as before. I promised it and that’s it. But why does everyone say that they would not have expected me to marry someone?”
“Because they know you and when I had seen you for the first time, I had thought that you’re a guy every woman would like. And I thought you’re not the guy for a serious relationship.”
“Well, thanks.” Danny said and smiled.
“Now, I know better” Lindsay kissed him.
“You’re keeping me away from work” Danny laughed.
“Yeah, I got it. So what did Mac say about work? Any new cases?”
“Not yet. He told me to look on some old unfinished cases.”
“Okay, that’s what we’ll do"
So the two of them started work and in a shot break Lindsay called Louie. They agreed on 4pm at Louie’s. Then Danny and Lindsay restart work again and didn’t stop until late in the evening. Back at home, they ate something and went to bed immediately. The day had been hard and they were glad to get some rest.

The next few days weren’t different and Lindsay hadn’t even the time to run Danny’s father’s name through the system. Then, when Danny left the bureau to interrogate a witness again, Lindsay took the chance. She hoped to find at least an address, perhaps a phone number.
Lindsay had luck. The computer showed her an address in Portland, Maine. And if that wasn’t enough she got a phone number. She wrote the information on a piece of paper and went back to her office. On the way she met Stella.
“Hey Lindsay. You got something on Danny’s father?”
“I did. I have an address and a phone number.”
“Great, so when do you call him.”
“I don’t know. I’m in two minds of it. Perhaps I should talk to Louie first. I can’t just call Danny’s dad and say ‘Here I am, the fiancé, and I’d like you to come to our wedding’.’
“Yeah, you’re right. You should be careful.”
“I hope he’ll take to me. Could possibly be that he’ll just hang up.”
“Don’t think about it in that way. Think positively.”
“Yeah, I’m going to call Louie. Danny’s talking to a witness, so I have some time.”
“Good luck, Linds”
“Thanks"

Lindsay went back to her office and sat down at her desk. She pulled out her phone and dialed Louie’s number. He didn’t pick up, so she left him a message.
Lindsay did some research on their case when Louie called half an hour after she had left the message.
"Hey, Louie”
“Hi, Linds. How you’re doin’?”
“Great, I found something out. That’s why I call you”
“That’s good news. So what is it?”
“He lives in Portland. A village in Maine, like you said. I found a number as well.”
“You did? So did you call him?”
“No, I didn’t. I thought I should talk to you first.”
“Do you want me to talk to him before you call?”
“Would you do that?"
“Sure. I just call to see how he’s doing and give him some news like the wedding of his son. Then you can call him and tell him about you’re idea.”
“Sounds like a plan.”
“It is. I hope dad will cooperate.”
“He sent you a letter. He will talk to you.”
“Hopefully. Well, I have to go back to work. I call dad in the evening.2
“Thank you, Louie”
“No problem.”

Danny came back and told Lindsay everything he found out. They were nearly at the end of this case, so they informed and they got some final instructions. Within two days they would have solved the case completely.
Later that day Danny and Lindsay sat in their office talking about their evening plans.
“We could ask the others and go out for a drink. Like we did after Aiden’s case.” Lindsay suggested.
“Yeah, great idea, sweetie.”
“Okay, so I talk to Stella and Hawkes. You talk to Don and try to persuade Mac.”
“Okay, let’s go. We’ve worked enough for today. We meet down in the hall.”
Danny kissed Lindsay and the two of them left the office. Ten minutes later the whole team except of Mac stood in the hall of the building.
“Mac doesn’t want to come?” Lindsay asked.
“You know Mac. He said he’ll possibly come by later. He’s got some work left.”
“Yeah, like he always says. Well, we’ll see. Let’s go guys.”
So they left the building and went to their favorite pub. They drank beer and Danny and Lindsay had to report everything from their trip to Montana and especially from Danny’s proposal. They laughed and had a lot of fun. Even Mac showed up after half an hour. So the time went by and it was about 11pm when they left the pub. They said good bye and Danny and Lindsay went back home.

The whole rest of the week Danny and Lindsay worked at least until 8 or 9 pm. So there wasn’t much time left for any wedding preparations. All they knew was that they’d like to celebrate in a small way. Just with the family and some friends instead of a big party with over a hundred of guests.
Every time when she had been alone, Lindsay had called Danny’s dad, but he had not picked up. Now she said at home in the living room. Danny had gone out with Flack for a beer or two – men’s evening, he had said.
So Lindsay had eaten something and was now ready for another try. She picked out the piece of paper and sat down on the sofa. She dialed the number and waited for someone to pick up. It looked like this would be like all the times before but then suddenly…

“Hello?”
“Hi, do I talk to Mr. Messer?”
"Yeah, who are you?”
“I’m Lindsay Monroe. I’m working with your son, Danny, and I’m his girlfriend since some months.”
“Yeah, Louie told me that you would call me.”
"So can I talk to you for some minutes? It is really important.”
“Louie didn’t really tell me what’s going on. He just told me that Danny has a girlfriend and that you two are going to be married.”
“Yeah and that’s the point. Danny told me about your relationship and to be honest Danny is not doing well with the present situation.”
“Everything had gone wrong between us. I’d really like to see him again. I’ve always wanted to phone him, but I was too scared of his possible reaction.”
“Would you like to come to our wedding? It shall be a surprise.”
“I don’t know. What if Danny doesn’t want to see me?”
“I can’t guarantee anything, but believe me, Danny is really pooped about it. I just like to see him smile again when he talks about his family.”
“I know what you mean. There should be something positive about our family again. I’d like us to be like father and son.”
“So you take part of my plan?”
"Yeah, I am.”
“Great, so I call you again and give you the details. I’m really happy. You saved my day.”
“I’m looking forward to it. Little Danny is getting married.”
“Yeah, he is growing up. That’s what we all say.” Lindsay smiled.
“Okay, so you call me and give me the date as soon as you know”
“I promise. Thank you”

Lindsay was happy. Everything seemed to turn out the way she had wanted to. She was looking forward to Danny’s reaction when he would see his father again after all the years. Would he be happy? There was a moment of uncertainty. Had she done the right thing? What if she had interpreted Danny’s signs in a wrong way? Now Lindsay wasn’t that convinced anymore.
But she had no time to think about it any longer. She saw Danny walking down the floor towards their office. Lindsay pretended to do some research on her computer, so Danny would not recognize anything.
He opened the door.
"Hey, sweetie.”
“Hey”
“I brought you a coffee.” Danny said and gave the cup to Lindsay.
“Thanks.”
“Is everything okay with you?” Danny asked and a caring look covered his face.
“I’m okay, just a little tired and headache.”
“You want to go home? I can talk to Mac”
“No, no. I’m fine. We’ve quitting time in an hour anyway.”
“Okay, but don’t do too much. I’ve to talk to Mac. I pick you up later, okay?”
“Yeah, I’ve to type this report. That’s all. See you later” Lindsay said.
Danny gave her a kiss and left the office.

Back