What Category Do I Belong In? Find out here! [Please rate/comment!]

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by CSI_Kat, Sep 25, 2007.

1. dopebabygirl

dopebabygirl CSI Level Two

Re: In what category I belong? Please Vote/Rate

i wanted to tell you i'm not gonna be able to send you something, i got few more final exams this week

But monday is great :)

2. Dragonfly

Dragonfly ~Queen of Sarcasm~ Moderator

As stolen from Vera:
    Some guidelines:

Please categorize every art work - if an artist entered more than one work and for example the first icon would be beginners but the second one would be more intermediate, please state it this way.

Further more:
    • Every artist wants to know whether their stuff is Beginners, Intermediate or Advanced
    • they all want to have comments why you choose the category
    • Please use constructive criticism and advices, don't come in here and bash someone's work.
    Now: let's start!

(wallpapers are clickable for larger image)

Artist 01:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist 02:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist 03:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist 04:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist 05:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist 06:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Artist 07:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. SpeedsDaughter

SpeedsDaughter CSI Level One

Beautiful work everyone!

Artist 1: Beginner/Intermediate
    Use of textures/brushes is well done, however the caps seem VERY oversharpened and the cropping doesn't flow well with the icons. First Ryan one is beautiful, you have the right idea on composition, but it doesn't blend good. Second one has a beautiful texture, but the Ryan cap was very sharpened.

Artist 2: Beginner/Intermediate
    Good cap selection or excellent coloring, however the composition and cropping seems rather basic. They have too many repetitive caps. The Danny one could've been better if the caps were blended.

Artist 3: Beginner
    Caps are grainy and not much has been done with them to improve quality/coloring/contrast. Brushwork on the Flack one is well done, love it, but the black bars on top and lack of contrast dulls it. Ryan one, similar thing, cropping is good but it's very grainy. Calleigh one looks beautiful, however the brush/texture distracts.

Artist 4: Intermediate
    Coloring is beautiful, use of textures/brushes is amazing. I may have to snag that Calleigh one :) The Smacked one's text has a white outline that makes it grainy and doesn't flow too great.

Artist 5 - Intermediate/Advanced
    Danny one is droolworthy, contrast and texture is very good. Font was good too. You had some black lines at the top that should've been cropped, though. The Mac one has great texture and text, but the cap seems very faded. Up the contrast a bit. :D

Artist 6 - Advanced
    Coloring, composition and text is very good. I love the simplicity of the brush and font in the first one, though Mac looks a bit squished :lol:. Second one is beautifully colored, well done. In the third one, my jaw dropped. It's beautiful, with the caps and the accent colors. The use of text and brushes is amazing. I may snag that one too. :D

Artist 7 - Intermediate/Advanced
    I desperately want to put you in Advanced, especially with the composition and beauty of your Ryan wall. However, in your first cake wall, the font/text you used was distracting and didn't flow well with the wall. The logo in your caps also bugged me a bit.

4. Dragonfly

Just one? Come on people, we need your help!

5. MarineGirl#1

MarineGirl#1 CSI Level Three

Re: In what category I belong? ~ Please Rate!

Artist 1: Beginner / Intermediate
    Both pics are a bit sharp. In the first icon there are a lot of pics in a tiny icon, which should be okay, if the big one was cropped more. Second icon is more like intermediate. Great use of texture, however I would have liked some text in it. ;)

Artist 2: Beginner / Intermediate
    The first wall beginner: it shows that the pictures do not fit. There’s some white space between the pics. Try to use the raster that is provided in your program. Second and third wall definitely intermediate, however try not to repeat or use too many pictures. Less is more. :lol:

Artist 3: Beginner
    I’m missing a lot of effects in the icons. I’m sure your program provides lots of colouring / blending options. By experimenting with them you will see that you can make more out of it. ;) The magnifying brush in the Calleigh icon distracts.

Artist 4: Intermediate / Advanced
    Great blending and use of effects. A little text with the first banner would make it ‘speak’ more, like the Smacked one. :)

Artist 5: Intermediate / Advanced
    Very good use of colouring and blending. I agree with Speedsdaughter, the black in the top is a bit distracting. The Mac icon could have had more contrast with the tweaker effect. Other than that, very good. :)

Artist 6: Advanced
    Absolutely no pointers to make, I just love them both. Wonderful colouring, great use of caps. :thumbsup:

Artist 7: Advanced
    Great use of textures, pictures and fonts. Definetely advances. You’re third one knocked me of my socks. :D

6. MelC

MelC Police Officer

Disclaimer: I tend to be a bit picky when it comes to fanarts... so i'll apologize if i offend anyone. And I'm not a pro either, so my comments might not be very helpful.

Artist 01: Intermediate
    1st icon: Ryan's face is too yellowish.
    2nd icon: The subject is oversharpened.

Artist 02: Beginner -> Intermediate
    I suggest you can try different techniques instead of just pile them up side by side. Blending is a good trick.
    1st wallie: the coloring between the 2 pics on the middle left and middle right doesnt match.
    2nd wallie: in need of a subject, like something to focus on. Perhaps text or another picture that stands out like your Hawkes wallpaper.
    3rd wallie: I think you can try blending the background images or tweak the coloring of the pics so they blend. Right now the coloring between different pics is too apparent. You can also try lowering the opacity of the background images. That way the main image would stand out. Also a simple text might help.

Artist 03:
    1st icon: (Intermediate) a bit blur
    2nd icon: (Intermediate) quite grainy
    3rd icon: (Beginner) a bit oversharpened. I find the texture used is a bit distracting.
    Instead of just cropping, try to explore other techniques as well. Like gradients or coloring to bring more attention to it. Also, you can be more adventurous in your cropping.

Artist 04: Intermediate
    1st sign: nice crop. The coloring is a bit pale though. You can try tweaking the curves for a better effect.
    2nd sign: i find the brush a bit distracting, the text seems to be selected from another image (if i'm not mistaken using a magic wand). The white border and jagged ends can be seen around the text. Try zooming in and erase it or better yet use a text tool instead.

Artist 05:
    1st icon: (Intermediate) Nice crop and i like the subtle text. Try some coloring techniques, you'll be surprised with the results.
    2nd icon: (Beginner) The pic looks a little dull. I suggest you tweak the levels. The text is a bit hard to read, maybe you can place a shadow beneath it.

Artist 06:
    1st sign: (Intermediate) Nice blending. However you can try to tweak the levels on Mac, so to match Stella's pic.
    2nd sign: (Beginner) looks a bit dull. Once again, try tweaking the levels.

Artist 07: Advanced
    1st wallie: This might be my personal preference but I think the "Love Hurts" text doesnt really fit the image (with Calleigh smiling and all).
    2nd wallie: Great use of texture and how you blend the right pic is fantastic! However, I think the left image's levels can be tweaked slightly to fit the image on the right.
    3rd wallie: Great work. I like how you placed the text and images. This might also be my personal preference, but I think the 3 colored boxes is too bright for this wallie. Maybe lowering down the opacity or putting the layer to overlay? Or changing the color to the red you have for your text background.

P.S. if you dont mind me critique-ing, you can pm me for more suggestions on your artwork. ;)

7. Dragonfly

With all the discussion going on in the low entries thread, I thought it would be a great round in here. I'd especially like to encourage everyone who is currently entering at the beginner level to participate.

Rules:
    - You may send in wallpapers, banners, and/or icons
    - Each of the three will be rated separately, so it's best to send in 2 or 3 of each that you want evaluated.
    - Send your entries to me, DragonflyDreamer, by PM. Please let me know if you want comments, levels, or both in your feedback.
    - If you are unable to send PM's yet, you can e-mail them to me at the address in my profile. Just let me know they're coming or they may end up in the junk folder ;)

For now, I'll set the deadline for Saturday, September 27th. That gives you a week, but if you need more time, let me know. I'm open to an extension.

8. MarineGirl#1

MarineGirl#1 CSI Level Three

Re: In what category I belong? ~ New Round Sept 20 Calling all 'beginn

With the discussion of low entries, i hope a lot of beginners will participate in this thread. It's a good place with constructive tips and it will help to get even better. So please, anyone, just try this thread. We're here to help and not to put down. :D

9. Dragonfly

The deadline is tomorrow, and I haven't heard from anybody yet. I can think of at least... *counts on fingers*... 15 people that should send things in. If you got a PM from me about your wallpaper category, consider yourself part of that 15. If not, send something in anyway!

I'm going to give another week, so Saturday, October 4th, to get stuff in. Don't be shy! This thread honestly helps, I promise!

10. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Oh good, another week. I could use that.

Can these be icons, banners, wallpapers, that you've posted in the general icon, banner, wallpaper thread or do they have to be created just for this?

11. Dragonfly

It's better to do this anonymously, so that people will be more honest with their comments ;)

12. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I'll work on this tonight! Sorry I haven't gotten to it yet, forgot!

13. Dragonfly

Remember, the deadline is set for tomorrow. I haven't heard from very many people yet :( If you like to send something in, but want more time, let me know. I can do that :)

14. Rienna

Rienna Dead on Arrival

DragonflyDreamer, may I ask? I joined talk CSI only today, but i'm interesting in this thread..

15. Dragonfly

Sure! You can send them to me at the email in my profile. Just put talkCSI in the subject line so I know what it is.

If you're not sure how this works, I'd suggest just reading through the thread. It's pretty straight forward.

If you don't think you can get them done by tomorrow, that's fine. I can wait a bit more :lol: