What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. gsrfan82

gsrfan82 Witness

I'm trying to finish CSI: Binding Ties by Max A. Collins

2. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

"Poseidon's Arrow" by Clive Cussler & Dirk Cussler.

I've been waiting for my library to get this out on the shelf since last summer! So far it takes place in Washington DC, San Diego, Idaho, Tijuana, and Panama. The usual cast of characters - Dirk, Al, Rudy, Sandecker, and Lauren as well as the President, some NCIS agents, and of course lots of bad guys. Our main NCIS agent is already on cruches, Dirk has been grazed by a bullet, Dirk and Lauren have nearly been run over by an unmanned cargo ship which he then rammed his boat into the rudder of so it wouldn't hit a cruise ship, and Dirk, Al, & Rudy have managed to raise a cabin cruiser, recover the body on it and the prototype which they then lost to the bad guys. All-in-all your typical Dirk Pitt adventure. :thumbsup:

Susan

3. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I'm currently reading Robert Crais's Suspect. It's his newest book and it takes break from Elvis and Joe. This book deals with Scott and Maggie. Scott James is an LAPD officer who was wounded in the line of duty. His partner was killed at the same time. Maggie is a former Marine Dog wounded in the Afghanistan. Maggie's human was killed at the same time. Scott and Maggie both have problems with PTSD and are trying to make a go of it at being K-9 partners.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book and I'm loving it. I hope we get to see more of Scott and Maggie.

4. blackflag

"Cold City" by F. Paul Wilson.

He bills it as "Repairman Jack: The Early Years". It's Repairman Jack when he was just Jack. It starts shortly after he gets to NYC (1990). First he's working for a landscape company because he can get paid in cash (remember, 'Jack' officially doesn't exist!) but he beats one of the others senseless so the owner tells him he has to let him go (also telling him he should get a gun). The guy he pays to teach him how to shoot, tear down, & put together the gun hires him for a little interstate smuggling since he was rather impressed on how Jack was able to live in NYC without ID (& Jack needed the money from doing it). Also get a taste of Jack at the 'repairman' business when he doesn't kill a couple of guys who then ended up after him instead of who they were originally after.

Susan

5. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

I actually just read Beowulf, and I must recommend it to anyone who's up for the challenge. It's an incredibly modern text with cinematic fight scenes and motives; I was actually very impressed.

(It is NOTHING like the abomination of a movie with Angelina Jolie)

6. blackflag

"The Cat Who Had 60 Whiskers" by Lilian Jackson Braun.

Can't be a cat lover without reading the "Cat Who" series at least once. I'm currently on my second round through. Who cares about the humans, Koko and Yum Yum are just too much fun to ignore. Koko can sense murders and Yum Yum sounds like the perfect lap cat (which my Socksie isn't!). :)

Susan

7. Morla

Morla Civilian

I read Moby Dick.
    I think the story is known :)

8. blackflag

"206 Bones" by Kathy Reichs

I've read Kathy Reichs before, most notably the "Virals" series of young adult books. I've never seen the show Bones. This is the 12th in the Temperance Brennan series but I've never read one before (although the character is mentioned in the "Virals" series). And I know the names of very few of those 206 bones in the human body. But other than that it's a pretty good read. :lol: It goes fast and isn't overly complicated - can't ask for much more. The only thing I don't like about it is that the characters keep talking in French which is then thankfully translated - Jr. High French was the only class I ever failed!

Susan

9. blackflag

"Two Graves" by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

The newest in the series of FBI Special Agent Aloysius Pendergast. Agent Pendergast finds out that his wife that he's thought was dead for the last 12 years was actually alive. When they are about to be reunited she's killed right in front of him. While in morning some murders start happening in NYC. At first he starts thinking these are his brother's handywork. Then he finds out that he has twin sons by his dead wife via a Nazi experiment dealing with twins and one of these sons is committing the murders.

Susan

10. blackflag

"The Cassandra Project" by Jack McDevitt & Mike Resnick

This book is science fiction based on the premise that we landed on the moon before Apollo 11! It's a little in the future and NASA is basically no more than a museum because of loss of government funding. They release a whole bunch of information and in it is a tape that has people thinking that an earler mission to fly out to the moon, orbit the moon, and then fly back to Earth to test equipment actually landed on the moon. Most of the people who were on the mission are dead but they have talked to the guy at 'Houston' who basically says 'don't go there' when asked and they've talked to someone on one of the recovery vehicles who swears that one of the astronauts had moon rocks when they were picked up after splashdown.

Susan

11. Guybrush Threepwood

Guybrush Threepwood CSI Level One

I'm reading Icebound by Dean Koontz. I love him so much. :D

12. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

I just finished reading Red Plant Blues by Robert J. Sawyer. It's a Mystery/Sci-fi book set on Mars. The book is set in the future but has a 1940's feel to the characters and setting.

13. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

Still in queue for 50 Shades 2nd book.
    Recently read Millenium series book 1.
    Currently onto HG trilogy again. Just finished first book, now onto second.

14. blackflag

"The Rise of Nine" by Pittacus Lore

Book 3 in the "Lorien Legacies" ("I am Number Four", "The Power of Six", "The Rise of Nine"). Most of the Garde have come together. Numbers six, seven, eight, and ten join four and nine in New Mexico to fight the Mogadorians and their 'big boss' Setrakus Ra. I'm most of the way through and I think I'm waiting for number five to pop up here near the end (we know he/she is alive since they haven't gotten any new scars after number three was killed). :lol:

ETA: Finished it last night just before CSI. Suprised that number five didn't show up.

Susan

Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  15. blackflag

"Mirror Earth: The Search for our Planet's Twin" by Michael D. Lemonick

Just as it sounds like from the title it's about our search for other Earth type and larger planets. And ultimately about our search for alien life. I've always been facinated by this kind of stuff. :)

Susan