What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

I'm just starting a book my English adviser lent me to try and distract my mind form my senior project: Don't Bet on the Prince, Contemporary Feminist Fairy tales in North America and England. By Jack Zipes

I'm really enjoying reading fairy tales from different perspectives and cultures. I highly recommend this as something that both keeps interest and is very entertaining.

2. Joycie84

Joycie84 CSI Level One

I'm reading "The Postcard Killers" by James Patterson & Liza Marklund. A very exciting thriller about a couple that kills other couples and with every murder they leave a postcard from the location they're heading. An American FBI agent and a Swedisch journalist work together to solve the mystery. I'm almost done and I'm really curious about the developements in the end. Good thriller.

3. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince!!

4. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

"Madame Bovary" by Flaubert. i'm back at uni now so back to the situation of reading some seriously heavyweight classic books in their original language (french) - it's nice if you want to feel smug but it's also kind of hard work!

i actually read this book in english many years ago and didn't like it much. i think that was probably because i had this preconception of it being "a romance" and y'know, i really don't do romance in any capacity* - but i'm hopeful that being able to read it with a somewhat more mature mindset (well, sometimes anyway) and also with a bit of the context and background as we study it will make me appreciate it more this time around - and so far it's working!

i'm also skim reading "les fleurs du mal" by baudelaire - we're studying it before we study "bovary" but i've studied it in some depth before so taking advantage of that to get ahead in reading the next one (because i just can't read as fast as i normally do in french). this is one of the few poetry books i can enjoy - i'm not a fan of poetry as a rule, i don't quite get it, i'd rather read prose. that said, 'fleurs' is a fantastic book, it's incredibly subversive and weird. when the teacher said last week that we'd be doing this one poem this week i mentioned that is my favourite of all of them, but later in class said i didn't like poetry. he said "but you said you love this one!" and i said "well yes, i do, but it being subversive and morbid and really really weird totally outdoes the fact that it's poetry :D" - i don't think he understood.... anyway it's a poem which is written in the most archetypal romantic poetic language, like keats or wordsworth etc, but it's about a rotting corpse, it's like something grissom would enjoy, and at the end the writer says to his girlfriend "and one day you'll look like that too!" - it totally sticks two fingers up at just about everything that underpins traditional poetry. it's fantastic. i'm only saying that here because unfortunately i can't be that excited if i write an essay on it ;)

i also just finished "the sound and the fury" which was great in the end but omg, hard work. i love modernism as a rule but stream of consciousness writing can be quite difficult. by about 3/4 of the way through i had finally worked out who was who and what was happening, and that really did make everything else in the book make sense and made it worthwhile, a bit of a lightbulb moment i guess. so yeah, if you like a challenge, read it, especially if you like your challenges depressing and morbid (i generally do!), but it is not easy.

* i just wanted to say i had the same "it's a romance" preconception about "gone with the wind" and read it very grudgingly. by a few pages in i loved it and it's still, 7 years later, one of my all time favourite books :D so that should teach me to not prejudge.

5. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows!!

6. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I just got Rick Springfield's new memior, "Late, Late at Night" in the mail today and have read through chapter seven. Very candid. The writing style is conversational, warm and witty. So far I'm liking it very much.

7. Joycie84

Joycie84 CSI Level One

"The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. Beautiful book! I love it.

8. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

On audio I'm listening to The Last Stand of Fox Company by Bob Drury, it's about Marines in the Korean war.

I recently finished The Secret Friend by Chris Mooney, the second CSI Darby McCormick book. It was about this guy who kidnaps college girls and keeps them prisoner, bur treats thrum really well, he buys them presents and cooks for them, but then kills them! He's killed 2 girls and has kidnapped a third, and Darby has to find her before he kills her. It was really good & creepy esp. as we get the perp's and the victim's POV as well as Darby's.

Now I'm reading The Burying Place by Brian Freeman. Lt. Jonathan Stride is recovering from injuries from his last case when he's called in to help investigating the disappearance of a baby from the home of her wealthy parents. Meanwhile, his partner Maggie is investigating a serial killer case. Good ao far.

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I finished reading the Rick Springfield memior, "Late, Late at Night." I really enjoyed it. If you're not interested in the "Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll" lifestyle being described you may not like it; but there is also really interesting stuff about his family, his attempts to make it big and his struggle with depression. I thought it was well written in a conversational, witty and warm style. I'd recommend it to anyone who was/is a fan as well as anyone who may have an interest in the life of an 80's icon.

10. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

I broke down and ordered Dark Origins by Anthony Zuiker.
    He says you need to log on to a website to get the full experience of the book. Sorry Mr. Zuiker, I did long on and it was more hassle than just continuing to read. So that's what I'm doing. And the first little 'movie' was a snuff film. Sorry again, I'm not into watching that sort of thing. :eek:

It's the precursor to the Sqweegel episode. After watching that episode I can get into the book more. So far it's pretty gruesome and really well written.

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

ooh i might check that out. i love that kind of stuff.

12. BlueDiamondStar

BlueDiamondStar Coroner

wow it took me nearly a year to read that book. and finally i finished to read it.
    and now i've officially read 'divine justice'
    and now i started re-read 'blindfold'

13. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I'm reading The Dead Room by Chris Mooney. It's the third Darby McCormick book. Darby is now head of the Crime Scene Unit. She is called to investigate the murder of a woman. The woman and her teenage son were tied to kitchen chairs and the mother was tortured before being killed. The teenager is in hospital, and he asks to speak to Darby's long-dead father, also a cop.
    As Darby investigates the case, she turns up evidence that a serial killer may be at work, though it seems to be one who died over twenty years ago. She also discovers links between the case and Boston law enforcement. Also, she finds evidence that someone was watching the torture/murder of the woman from the nearby woods.

It's really gripping and scary. Darby is as tough and no nonsense as ever, though as usual we do get to see her human side, her vulnerabilites and flaws, which is what makes her such a great character.

14. Kaunis Mies

Kaunis Mies Pathologist

Frankie Boyle's My S**t Life So Far and it's a good read

15. lal

lal Pathologist

I'm Currently reading Torment : Lauren Kate :)