What are you reading?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Colonel Worf, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fingerprints

Fingerprints Police Officer

Oh I just finished the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings now I'm onto The Silmarillion...I think I'm the only one I know that has read it ....twice *hides face* but I love all his works so I would reccomend them to all book lovers

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Ahem... uh... I've read the Silmarillion a couple times too... ahem... :eek::
    :D

3. Fingerprints

yay!!!!!!! a fellow Tolkien scholar...I was beginning to feel lonely...a must admit it is a tough read at times but it always feels like such an accomplishment when you've finished it. I wonder if there are any more of us out there :D

4. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Ah, we're everywhere! :D I've read all of the appendices for LOTR too. :)

5. wibble

wibble Corpse

OMG! Finally someone else who has read those! :D I was having a convo with my boyfriend once about the LOTR book, and I was saying something about the appendices, to which my boyfriend responds: Yeah, but who would want to read all those?. I was like: Erm...well I've read them. :lol:

I haven't got round to the Silmarillion yet though :p

6. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

So have I, but mainly for the reason because I could not remember a thing after reading it once.. *thinks* read it three times I think.. still can't remember a thing.. *covers ears and shakes head manically* Too much bl**dy info :p

7. CrimeShark

CrimeShark Pathologist

No way. There are actual Tolkien readers here? :D

Most of the people I meet outside of the Tolkien sites usually think LOTR is boring, much less The Hobbit and The Silmarillion. I've read all three, plus Unfinished Tales and of course, the LOTR appendices - the tale of Aragorn and Arwen is there, and the fate of the fellowship, so of course the appendices are a must!

So, yeah. Tolkien geek here, guilty as charged :p

8. csi_fanatic87

csi_fanatic87 CSI Level Three

I'm reading and looking over a New York City map

9. Fingerprints

I love the appendices I even read all the prnounciation stuff although it confuses the hell out of me. And when I saw Unfinished Tales I had to grab it and read it through...I can even spell my name in elvish...okay maybe thats a bit obsessive :D

10. CrimeShark

CrimeShark Pathologist

No, that's not obsessive at all! I think having your name in Elvish is really cool. I have an actual fellowship with eight other friends...in high school people actually call us by our LOTR character names. Now that's a bit obsessive :lol:

On-topic - I'm currently reading The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. It's about a girl who searchs for her father and discovers documents about the original Dracula which led to her having an adventure, etc. I've only just started so I can't talk about it much :p

11. wibble

wibble Corpse

^ I was going to start reading The Historian the other week but thought it wasn't really my kind of thing. I might try it later on though just to see what it's like.

I'm now reading The Eagle's Prophecy by Simon Scarrow. Only just started this, but knowing Scarrow, it'll be another great tale of Roman military adventure :)

12. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

UGH! I'm back to reading the comments of my second reader for my MA thesis.. seriously I dislike that dude.. he thinks he knows everything better than I.. while he actually doesn't. He even made huge grammar and typing errors in an email he sent me in which he comments about my use of language! *starts sobbing* I want my supervisor *cries* She is just so sweet and at least we're on the same level.. [/rant].. so yeah, the next 1,5 weeks I'll be reading my MA again :(

13. Daquien

Daquien Coroner

I'm reading that one too,I'm very busy so I'm just in chapter 10 right now. ;)

14. Dolphin

Dolphin Pathologist

I'm reading, once more, "O Ano da Morte de Ricardo Reis" (The Year of the Death of Ricardo Reis) by José Saramago. It's a great book! :)

15. CrimeShark

CrimeShark Pathologist

That's better than me! I'm only on Chapter 2 :p I should surf TalkCSI less and read more...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.