What Are You Reading? - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
ziggystarduzt said:
I just finished "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. I found it to be a fantastic book... until the end. I won't spoil it for anyone, but suffice to say that the ending really throws the whole thing. It's like you're totally wrapped up in this wonderful, whimsical story, and then the end shatters it all and makes you feel vaguely violated. His turn of phrase and storytelling is really good, but to be honest, I'm wary of reading more of his books.

You know, I felt somewhat similarly to you about this book. Although with me, it was more that I thought it went on a little too long... I was already beginning to lose interest when the "surprise" ending came along. I did mostly enjoy it, though.

BabaOReilly said:
ziggystarduzt said:
I just finished "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel. I found it to be a fantastic book... until the end. I won't spoil it for anyone, but suffice to say that the ending really throws the whole thing. It's like you're totally wrapped up in this wonderful, whimsical story, and then the end shatters it all and makes you feel vaguely violated. His turn of phrase and storytelling is really good, but to be honest, I'm wary of reading more of his books.

You know, I felt somewhat similarly to you about this book. Although with me, it was more that I thought it went on a little too long... I was already beginning to lose interest when the "surprise" ending came along. I did mostly enjoy it, though.

I've been try to read that book, but I can't find it in the book's shops... :(

I've just started reading "Les Yeux Bleus, Cheveux Noirs" ("Blues Eyes, Dark Hair") by Marguerite Duras.

BabaOReilly said:
I got it at the library. :) Can't beat the local libraries!

*cough* I agree with that Baba :) though I think I'm a little biased seeing as I work in one :lol: I never buy books anymore because I just get them out the library.

Aha, I'm reading my friends story that she wrote :p...it's so long, it's like 100 pages long printed off in such a small font...aha, it's interesting so far...

I just started in on 'Odd Thomas', by Dean Koontz. I'm a big fan of his work but have, strangely enough, never read 'Odd Thomas' or 'Forever Odd.' However, I bought them offline and can't wait to immerse myself completely in them.
From what I've read so far I'm already loving it.

I just finished reading Gay Blades by Ben Tyler. It's Gay&Lesbian Literature genre published by Kensington Books. Before that, I was reading What the Boys Are by William J. Mann -- which is a real good read.

Right now, I'm back to the bookshelf basics: Diary of Anne Frank.

I have just started reading Sanctury by Meg Cabot. I love the other ones in the Missing series so i'm hoping this one is going to be really good too.

I'm reading "Era bom que Trocássemos umas Ideias sobre o Assunto" ("It was good if we change a few Ideas about the Subject") by Mário de Carvalho. I've just started reading it, but it's very funny...

I'm reading "The Narratives of Frederick Douglass an American Slave." It's really good, it's a true account of slavery. I reccomend it.

I've just started to read A Faint Cold Fear by Karin Slaughter. Only read one chapter, but it was damn good. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back