What Are You Reading? - #2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Ducky, Aug 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarragon

Tarragon Dead on Arrival

I'm reading "Fool Moon: The Dresden Files" by Jim Butcher. For anyone who hasnt read the books or seen the TV series based on them think J.K Rowling meets Mickey Spillane.

2. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

OK, so I finished "The Night Watch" by Sergei Lukyanenko and while it started out pretty decently, I sort of got bored after a while. I mean, I finished it, and it wasn't all bad, but it wasn't as good as I'd thought it would be.

Another problem I had- the English translation felt a little off to me. I wish they could find people who can translate with better usage of comparative colloquialisms. Sometimes I had a feeling the character was probably saying something that sounded cool, but the translation just didn't quite pull it off. I definitely think I would have enjoyed it a little better with a better translation. I'm sure it's way better if you can read it in Russian.

Strong point- the novel gave me a real feel for Russian city life. He definitely developed the setting very well, and indeed, the attitudes of the Russian people as well.

I'm hoping I'll find the story a little more compelling in the movie version. :)

3. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

Are the books worth getting? I really like the TV show, but apparently it deviates from the books quite a bit.

4. Tarragon

Tarragon Dead on Arrival

I've never seen the show but I'm really enjoying the books. They have a really nice coversational style and the magical aspects are described really well. No esoteric mumbo jumbo. :)

5. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

Thank you! I'll dig them out. (I really like the covers over here too...how lame am I?! :D)

6. Tarragon

Tarragon Dead on Arrival

LOL. Me too. The covers were what persuaded me to buy in the first place. They certainly stand out in the Sci-fi / Fantasy section of the bookshop when all the other covers look like bad Conan rip-offs. :D

7. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

Ah, and they all have the same font! Actually, has anyone noticed the "Da Vinci Font Disease"? SO many books are being released right now with similar covers to the Da Vinci Code, in the hope stupid book buyers will think it's the same book.

8. Tarragon

Tarragon Dead on Arrival

Some of them even have the same plot. ;)

9. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Maelstrom by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough. Anne McCaffrey is one of my favorite authors. If I don't already own it I've read it from the library multiple times.

Susan

10. Pixu

Pixu Witness

I just brought the third book in the Anita Blake series by Laurell K. Hamilton today. Read the first few chapters and it looks great ^-^ Annoying thing is, Reading is a big town and only one bookstore sells them :( can't help it if my taste in books is too off-beat, i guess...

11. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I'm almost finshed with Mystic River, I have been loving this book. I love how the book is a drama that involves murder with being a mystery, and how the book is equally divided between all of the characters instead of one or two. The author really give each character a solid background which makes them seem more life like.

12. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

I've just finished "The #1 Detective Agency" by whoever wrote it :p Wasn't really pleased with the novel, but OK, it was alright to read, nothing special to me.

Now I'm halfway "The doll who ate his mother" by Ramsey Campbell, which is such a weird book. It's full of terror and horrific events, that one would rather think unlikely to happen in real life.

13. Silencer

Silencer CSI Level One

"The Doll Who Ate His Mother" sound quite interesting. Can you tell us more about it?

14. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

I'm reading "The Chemistry of Death " by Simon Beckett

15. Yurek

Yurek Pathologist

I'm trying to read 'Dnevnoj dozor' by Sergej Lukianenko. I also own the first book and I also want the third and fourth book of this series. I love the books.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.