Was Danny abused as a child?

Good point about Mac, guys. He didn't have Danny's back...he let Danny chase a suspect alone. What if Danny had gotten shot???

You guys brought up another thing about "On the Job" that bugged me...what the heck was Danny supposed to do? I mean, I know he shouldn't have talked to IAB, but before that, he didn't really do anything wrong. He chased a suspect--the guy would have gotten away otherwise! (which I guess he did anyway, but still...at least Danny tried) He got shot at and returned fire. Isn't that what cops do? Now, I know Danny is a CSI not a beat cop, but still. If someone was shooting at me and I had a gun, you damn well better believe I'd be returning that fire.

And then right away Mac takes a condescending attitude with Danny, from first to last. That annoyed me. Because other than going to IAB, it seemed to me at least that Danny didn't do wrong. Mac's attitude that Danny probably did only fueled his paranoia, I'm sure.

Now, I know Danny is a CSI not a beat cop, but still. If someone was shooting at me and I had a gun, you damn well better believe I'd be returning that fire.
If he's got a gun, he's obviously allowed to use it. And whatever happened to self defense? He was protecting himself and countless others in that subway. I think with Mac it's pretty much damned if you do, damned if you don't. He probably still would have been mad at Danny for not firing at a suspect; he just can't win sometimes.

That was definitely the feeling I got throughout the episode, and pretty much what Danny seemed to be feeling the entire time.

You know, if it had been me I would have turned to Mac and said ‘just where the hell were you?’ Guess Danny doesn’t have the confidence to say that to his boss, but I think it would have been a valid question and put Mac on the spot.

Another example of when Mac didn’t have Danny’s back was when the uniforms were having ago at Danny. It was Flack that went charging in to break it up and tell them not to jump to conclusions until they found out what actually happened.

I suppose in Mac’s eyes Danny was acting rather unreliable in that when he asked ‘is this the guy you were chasing?’ Danny was ‘yes’ then ‘I think’. And having ago at the uniforms was understandable but not professional.

Did anyone notice how freaking long it took Mac to get there? I think he walked from the original crime scene.

I noticed this when the episode first aired, because didn't Danny and the suspect run out the front door of the apartment? Wasn't Mac in the front room of the apartment? Mac either walked or stopped for doughnuts.

Like the rest of you have said, Danny had every right to return fire for any number of reasons. Danny is a CSI, but he went to the police academy, and I think they were all beat cops or detectives before becoming CSI's.

Mac fails as a supervisor when it comes to Danny; he is just wicked and completely detached from who Danny is as a person. Can you actually order someone to get medical treatment, is that within he scope of Mac's power?

I want to cry for Danny. He has not had an easy lot in life.

Ali

They are all good points. Mac seems to let Danny down nearly as much as Danny lets him down.

Thats a good point as well csifeline about mac not sticking up for Danny when the cops were having a go. That's twice in about 10 minutes that Mac hasn't had Danny's back, no wonder the poor guy is in doubts.

Does anyone know what this is about? Mac seems to have an angry look on his face and Danny seems defensive. I didn't see the episdoe, its 'Officer Blue'.
http://photobucket.com/albums/b20/Loopeylulu/?action=view&current=officerblue2.jpg

^Same here. I think Danny is just really a sad character.

Another example of when Mac didn’t have Danny’s back was when the uniforms were having ago at Danny. It was Flack that went charging in to break it up and tell them not to jump to conclusions until they found out what actually happened.

Yes, that was telling, wasn't it? Because for some reason, I'd expect Flack's normal alliegeances to be to the officers on the street, because he probably works with them a lot. But it was he who jumped to Danny's defense--he was clearly defending Danny, not just breaking the two warring factions up--not Mac.

The more I think about it, the less I like Mac.

I agree. The more we look into their relationship the more i'm getting pissed off with Mac.

How do you do those arrow things like you've done top41, i can't work it out? :)

Shift6 for the arrows.
I don't think Mac knows how to handle Danny, honestly. Mac is more old school and Danny is more emotional and wants to do things his way. They might not always be the right way, but it's what he feels is right. By Mac always telling him what to do and how to do it, he probably feels like he's being coddled and doesn't want to be treated like a child. So he tries to show Mac he's capable in the only ways he knows how, unfortunately, they're not how Mac thinks he should react.

I think Danny is just really a sad character.

You don't mean sad as in pathetic, do you?

Yes, that was telling, wasn't it? Because for some reason, I'd expect Flack's normal alliegeances to be to the officers on the street, because he probably works with them a lot. But it was he who jumped to Danny's defense--he was clearly defending Danny, not just breaking the two warring factions up--not Mac.

I think uniforms and detectives have different relationships and Danny is Flack's friend, so I wasn't too surprised that Don would leap to his defence. What did surprise me was that Mac didn't say a single thing. Mac didn't tell them to wait until they had examined the evidence, which maybe was something that led to Danny not trusting that route and trying to get his say in.

Mac fails as a supervisor when it comes to Danny; he is just wicked and completely detached from who Danny is as a person.
Absolutely agree with ya there! Mac should know Danny pretty well after 5 years, was it? He knows Danny is complex and hard to handle sometimes, but still does his job well. Mac could have definitely given Danny more of the attention and guidance Danny quite obviously so desperately needs.

I wonder what the exact reason is that Mac was advised not to hire Danny. I doubt it's Danny's incompetence (he seems quite competent to me) or stubborness. There must be more to that. Mac obviously didn't think it reason enough not to hire him and had full confidence as Danny as a CSI.

I just can't wrap my brain around how this one shooting incident caused Mac to lose confidence in Danny.

Again, I wonder if the reason that Mac was told not to hire Danny lies in that psych exam (or to be accurate, the one Danny underwent before getting the job at CSI). That, and Danny's hotheadedness might have made someone think he wouldn't be a good pick for a CSI.

Thanks for the heads up on the ^. I like them :)

I think Mac should know Danny better. He should of realised that just ordering him about with no explanation as to why, doens't get the best results. He seems to take a lighter approach with the others, he asks them while (like someone else said) he is condesending with danny and tells him to do things.

Flack and Danny do seem to have a good friendship. Don't they play basketball together or something? i'm not sure. But Mac's response to that incident did shock me. Mac not only didn't stick up for Danny, but he didn't tell Danny to ingore them and allow the evidence to tell them what happened.

Another thing, its probably already been mentioned but considering Mac's always telling Danny to follow the evidence, he seemed to have already decided Danny had shot that cop, before the evidence had been processed.

My fingers are hurting now from all that typing. God i never normally rant. :(

Regarding Mac ordering Danny to the hospital, I think he was using the situation to his advantage. He didn't want Danny to talk to the IAB guy, so he used Danny's injury to get him away from him.

I think the situation with Danny's shooting showed that Mac isn't good at dealing with his disappointment in Danny. I believe that Mac sees Danny as his protege, a younger version of himself that he can teach and guide along. He thinks Danny should deal with things the same way he would. Look at the incident Mac was in in What You See is What You See. Mac was able to lay out the entire situation for them. He was able to say who shot when, where the shots went, if they ricocheted off anything, etc. In Danny's shooting, he was unable to say for certain if the dead guy was the one he chased from the apartment and if both of his shots hit the guy. I think he clearly saw that Danny wasn't just like him and was unable to hide his disappointment.

Back