Was Danny abused as a child?

^ that's true, i agree. Mac's ability to do that probably comes from his extensive experience of being a CSI. Danny hasn't been a csi as long as Mac. I think mac's expecting to much of Danny.

Which is strange, coz he doesn't expect nearly that much from the others in his team. Ok, he expects them to do well and they do, but so does Danny. So why pick on Danny?

Danny is so not a person to picked on, but rather is the person to be properly guided. Yet Mac keeps throwing him back to the deep end of the pool and Danny's stuck tredding water!

^I imagine it has something to do with the potential Mac sees in Danny. He knows Danny has the ability and talent to be a great CSI, and then he sees him being reckless and sabotaging himself. And willfully disobedient. That's probably puzzling and frustrating to Mac, who is a very logical, methodical person. He also clearly got to where he was by respecting authority, not defying it.

Regarding Mac ordering Danny to the hospital, I think he was using the situation to his advantage. He didn't want Danny to talk to the IAB guy, so he used Danny's injury to get him away from him.

I'm sure Mac was trying to get Danny away from the IAB officer, but he must know after all these years that there are better ways to handle Danny. He defied is orders in the pursuit of answers in a misdemeanor case, surely he knew Danny wasn't going to listen when his job and reputation were on the line. In my mind, this is just another example of Mac being detached from the human side of his workers, Danny in particular.

I think the situation with Danny's shooting showed that Mac isn't good at dealing with his disappointment in Danny. I believe that Mac sees Danny as his protege, a younger version of himself that he can teach and guide along. He thinks Danny should deal with things the same way he would. Look at the incident Mac was in in What You See is What You See. Mac was able to lay out the entire situation for them. He was able to say who shot when, where the shots went, if they ricocheted off anything, etc. In Danny's shooting, he was unable to say for certain if the dead guy was the one he chased from the apartment and if both of his shots hit the guy. I think he clearly saw that Danny wasn't just like him and was unable to hide his disappointment.

Mac may have been able to lay out the entire scene in What You See Is What You See, whereas Danny could not in On The Job, but Mac had not been smashed in the head with a door and then carried on a foot pursuit while bleeding, which had to be taxing. Therefore, the circumstances are vastly different and for Mac to attempt to draw a parallel between the two would be further proof that his expectations for Danny can be at times unreasonable.

I imagine such expectation does nothing but cause extreme stress to an adult who was once an abused child, a child who may have equated achievement with safety and security.

Ali

^ that's true, i agree. Mac's ability to do that probably comes from his extensive experience of being a CSI. Danny hasn't been a csi as long as Mac.

Not only has Mac been CSI longer than Danny but he might have been a beat cop before that and probably was already in the Marines when Danny was a baby. Plus, although I have doubts as to whether Mac had a perfect chidhood, whatever his early years were like, I would be willing to bet they were not as bad as what it looks like Danny has gone through.

^that's true. i agree with all you guys. Danny does seem to be picked on. It is probable that mac is harder on him because he sees the potential there, although he needs to realise that danny does need to be guided, not ordered about.

Wasn't Aiden in a bit of trouble in one episode? i'm not certain but i don't think mac was as harsh with her as he was with danny.

^I imagine it has something to do with the potential Mac sees in Danny. He knows Danny has the ability and talent to be a great CSI, and then he sees him being reckless and sabotaging himself. And willfully disobedient. That's probably puzzling and frustrating to Mac, who is a very logical, methodical person. He also clearly got to where he was by respecting authority, not defying it.
Well I'm still strongly convinced Mac means well... but he is so going about it the wrong way! Danny's not able to see how Mac is trying to help him at all. Instead Danny's convinced Mac only has the team's best interest at heart and perhaps feels that Mac thinks Danny's jeopardizing the team's good reputation.

Bottom line is, Mac and Danny don't seem to be on the same wave length at all and it's gonna cause more and more friction between them. It's totally frustration for us viewers.

I imagine such expectation does nothing but cause extreme stress to an adult who was once an abused child, a child who may have equated achievement with safety and security.

Ali

You can kind of see it, too. He's tense, he's figety, and even moreso when working cases with Mac. He's much more at ease with Aiden or Stella or Flack. With Mac, he never seems quite at ease.

And when he thinks he's failed, he just kind of shuts down. Remember when he started to argue with Mac in "Crime and Misdemeanor" and then cut himself off? Granted, he was wrong, but still, he had a right to tell his side. But Mac's aggressive stance and anger literally made him shut down.

I was a little disappointed in Mac saying that Danny was shooting wild. Didn't look like wild shooting to me at all, he seemed to have a pretty firm straight-shootin' grip on his gun. But then again, what the hell do I know about shooting or guns (and I'd like to keep it that way, thank you!)

I think it was an unfair assumption by Mac, just because they couldn't find the 8th bullet doesn't automatically mean Danny was in a state of panic not knowing where he was shooting. The bullet may not have been in an obvious place, granted, but that concludes nothing of Danny's shooting behavior. Maybe the bullet ended up stuck in someone's briefcase or something.

Exactly, thank you. Danny did look very sure of his shooting, if that was worded correctly. And for Mac to suppose that he was shooting wildly just shows that he might not exactly find Danny's word- or Danny himself- very reliable, which if you ask me just defeats the purpose of him hiring the guy in the first place if Mac was just going to lose his confidence in him over time.

An over-the-top observation, perhaps, but hey, over-the-top is me sometimes.

Angie

Exactly Angelica, it's almost as if Mac purposely wants Danny to know how untrustworthy he's come to think of him. Not exactly the ego-boost Danny so desperately needed after the shooting.

Rewatched the eppie just now and I still say Danny's shooting looked absolutely solid to me... considering the situation was pretty chaotic and Danny didn't seem panicky at all!

^ i agree. To me he didn't seem to be shooting wide. From where he was and what he could see, i thought i shot fine.

I also agree with you and Angelica. It's as though Mac wants danny to know how much he's let Mac down. I suppose it could be seen as reverse psychology, tell danny he's done bad so it will motivate him to work hard to prove he isn't a disappointment. Although if danny was abused as a child, and the way he acts now, its clear this approach isn't working, its only denting danny's self esteem further.

I wonder if Mac not trusting Danny goes back to the Tanglewood episode. Mac strikes me as the kind of person who values honesty. Mac also strikes me as a person who can hold a grudge as well. Maybe Mac believes Danny lied to him about his involvement with Tanglewood so in his mind he cant trust anything about Danny.

I hope I explained that okay.

^ you explained that perfectly. :) i think that as well. I think one of the ways that mac and danny can repair their relationship is for danny to be open with mac about his involvement in the gang. He's involved deeper than he's lettig on, he should tell mac about it. I think mac knows danny is in deeper than he's letting on, he's just waiting for danny to open up before it compromises a case.

In the Tanglewood episode I was thinking about the scene in Mac's office, when Danny goes to him to see how the case is going. Danny told Mac that he couldnt help think about the kid and how he just wanted to belong and was desparate. I wonder if Danny was talking about himself, not Paul Montenossi. He could have been exlpaining why he joined the gang, he wanted to belong and was desparate escape his home life of abuse. Then Mac told Danny he wanted to belong and serve his country so he joined the marines. At this point it seems to me that Danny wants to say something more and then Mac says that Danny should proud that he made the right decision. After that Danny seemed to, for lack of a better word, wilt, and then he said he was proud of himself. Even though Danny said that he was proud of himself, he didnt sound like it. I cant help but wonder if Danny actually went to Mac to confess everything. Mac, to me came across that he was proud of Danny for not joining so maybe Danny couldnt bear to disappoint Mac and he clammed up.

I was also thinking about the comment Danny made to Mac when he was explaining about the tattoo. I cant remember the exact quote but it was some thing like "fronting your a tanglewood boy and getting caught by the tanglewood boys or running into the pelham crew and as tanglewood boy is just as deadly. Then Danny followed that up with "believe me". I wonder if Danny was speaking from personal experience. If he was beaten by the pelham crew maybe that made him realize he had to get out of that life or he really would end up dead.

Back