Was Danny abused as a child?

i agree angie.

By the end of 'on the job' he seems to have given up on anyone believing him. Mac didn't really help in that because like you guys have said, he seemed to have thought the worst of Danny from the start, even though he is suppose to follow the evidence. I did feel really sorry for Danny all the way through the ep, especially near the end.

All this does push towards Danny being neglected or abused as a child. He starts out trying to get heard and then just gives up.

I also think Tanglewood is a great ep, Dave1130. :)

In thinking about "On the Job", is it in my mind or did it actually occur that they never found Danny's other bullet, I can't believe Mac would give up on that search. I mean technology is pretty advanced, and the team has been tenacious about less. I truly belive Mac thought the worst of Danny from the beginning of the episode and never veered from that path. Some of the looks Mac gave Danny were so resigned and screamed look at what you've done now, I'm not suprised by Danny's defeated stance by episodes end.

I think after they knew Danny's second bullet didn't hit anyone they didn't bother looking for it. Personally, I think they would have needed to look for it in the ceiling or somewhere away from the people, because Danny isn't a killer. His first bullet hit the dirty cop high in the left shoulder and I can see Danny subconsciously pulling his gun up for the second shot. Mac was probably thinking 'if I fired two bullets they would both be in the body' but Mac is a former Marine. He actually mentioned in 'Tanglewood' that he's killed people. I don't think Danny has killed anyone and he doesn't want to either. Mac seemed to be judging Danny on how he himself would do things and Danny is never going to be able to live up to those sort of expectations.

It seems like Danny isn't use to being heard. He feels a great need to tell his story, and maybe as much to hear himself as for other people to listen. Danny acts out at times like a child who is often neglected and left to his own devices.

Yeah, that really came through in the episode...he was so desperate to have his side of the story heard. His actions were also similar to a child who is used to being severely punished for doing wrong and thinks he can avert punishment by telling his side. I'm guessing it did him as much good when he was a child as it does him now.

In thinking about "On the Job", is it in my mind or did it actually occur that they never found Danny's other bullet, I can't believe Mac would give up on that search. I mean technology is pretty advanced, and the team has been tenacious about less. I truly belive Mac thought the worst of Danny from the beginning of the episode and never veered from that path. Some of the looks Mac gave Danny were so resigned and screamed look at what you've done now, I'm not suprised by Danny's defeated stance by episodes end.

Mac took a harsh tone with Danny from the first moment. As a contrast, look at CSI: Miami's "Dispo Day." Speedle didn't clean his gun and it misfired during a shootout. At the end, when the dust settles, Horatio quietly hands Speedle a gun cleaning kit. Did Speedle mess up? Yeah, big time. But Horatio knew that an adult isn't going to respond to being yelled at. Not a perfect parallel, but Mac could have sat Danny down and explained to him why what he was doing was so damaging.

I think Danny experienced a fair share of neglect when he was litle, and his dogged pursuit of everything is a way to be seen and noticed. He seems to equate failure with emotional pain and maybe physical as well.

That makes sense to me. And his defeatist attitude is the stance of someone who has been beaten down, either emotionally or physically or both.

I really hope they delve into this more during season 2 or even later ones. It'll be interesting to see what his deal really is and see what comes of everyone's theories here. Sorry I have nothing more astounding to say. I haven't really had too awful much NY-stuff on the brain for a little while now, so my opinions and thoughts are beginning to diminish. :lol:

Even though it makes me sad, I watched On the Job again last night. I'm pretty sure it was Danny's second shot that hit officer Minhas. That they didn't keep searching for his other bullet puzzles me a bit. Why didn't they? Why,when it became obvious that it wasn't going to be found easily, didn't they take Danny down there and have him walk them through the shooting?

I thought that Mac and Aiden concluded that none of Danny's shots hit Minhas? I believe that's the reason Mac was pissed that he went and gave a statement because they had already had all the evidence showing that he didn't shoot him afterall. And they probably didn't take him down there because Mac was convinced that Danny had an incorrect recollection of the events, and didn't want to further hinder investigation. Hmmm...maybe I DO still have thoughts of NY coursing through my brain afterall!

Mac and Aiden concluded that Danny's shot didn't kill Minhas. The shot that killed him happened in the apartment. Mac also told Danny at the end that 7 of the 8 shots were accounted for and that the one that wasn't was from Danny's gun. That means one of Danny's shots was accounted for and they know it's the one that hit Minhas in the shoulder.

i agree angie.

By the end of 'on the job' he seems to have given up on anyone believing him. Mac didn't really help in that because like you guys have said, he seemed to have thought the worst of Danny from the start, even though he is suppose to follow the evidence. I did feel really sorry for Danny all the way through the ep, especially near the end.

All this does push towards Danny being neglected or abused as a child. He starts out trying to get heard and then just gives up.

I also think Tanglewood is a great ep, Dave1130. :)

Yeah, I agree.

And Tanglewood was good, but On The Job rocked.

Angie

I was a little disappointed in Mac saying that Danny was shooting wild. Didn't look like wild shooting to me at all, he seemed to have a pretty firm straight-shootin' grip on his gun. But then again, what the hell do I know about shooting or guns (and I'd like to keep it that way, thank you!)

I think it was an unfair assumption by Mac, just because they couldn't find the 8th bullet doesn't automatically mean Danny was in a state of panic not knowing where he was shooting. The bullet may not have been in an obvious place, granted, but that concludes nothing of Danny's shooting behavior. Maybe the bullet ended up stuck in someone's briefcase or something.

I'll agree with that. He did seem to be very calm and collected and sure of what he was doing. Did anyone notice how freaking long it took Mac to get there? I think he walked from the original crime scene.

That's exactly what I was thinking. As I recall only 2 milliseconds after he got the door slammed into his face by the perp, Danny yelled Mac, he's running!. So it should have taken Mac about 1, maybe 2 seconds to act on that. Damn, Danny had to get up off the ground with undoubtedly the biggest headache ever, yet he was after the perp quicker than Mac was. Mac should have at least been right behind Danny.

Oh and Mac's age is not an excuse! He's probably fitter than Danny is!

I agree with both of you. Mac should have been right behind Danny, watching his back. I suppose that Danny is sort of right, Mac didn't 'have his back' in that situation.

I also agree with the theories about how Mac was harsh with Danny.

Season two should be really good. I think they will delve into this more and hopefully we will find out whats happened in Danny's past. I do believe he was abused as a child, physically or emotionally.

I agree with both of you. Mac should have been right behind Danny, watching his back. I suppose that Danny is sort of right, Mac didn't 'have his back' in that situation.
Which just makes the situation even more heartbreaking than I already thought it was! :(

Back