Torchwood

Can't wait to see S3 although I have to watch it on DVD. I just hope I'll get it as soon as the DVDs are released ... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I know there are some radio plays (audiobooks?) of Torchwood. Are those considered canon? And if so do I have to listen to them in a particular order?

I'd really appreciate your advice because I think I'm getting a bit obsessed with TW ;)

love_fan I don't know about the radio plays but i have read the books (which are great by the way!) and they didn't need to be in any order! So i would guess its the same with the audio books. :)

Anyway, I know there are some radio plays (audiobooks?) of Torchwood. Are those considered canon? And if so do I have to listen to them in a particular order?

I'd really appreciate your advice because I think I'm getting a bit obsessed with TW ;)

You don't need to listen to them in a particular order, but they are set in between season 2 and 3.

As for the 4th episode....
I wasn't surprised because I had heard rumors that Ianto was going to be killed off. And I was getting little vibes from things being said in the earlier eps (and from the radio play Dead Line). But the way they killed him off was pointless. There was no need for him to be there with Jack except as a way to kill him off. They could have at least let him go out in a blaze of glory in the last episode saving the world. And yeah, I'm Janto shipper (cause my icon doesn't make that obvious :lol:...although I might change it soon) so I'm also upset that Jack couldn't say I love you back. To be honest, I'm not sure I'll even bother with tonight's episode. And with only Jack and Gwen left, I can say that I have no plans to watch any future seasons even if they have them because it no longer resembles the show that I started watching at all.

I'm very interested to see how this story wraps up.

First, I just want to say I loved PC Andy's bit of comic relief in the second episode. I had hoped to see more of him, but what we saw was brilliant.

The rest of my comments are about Jack/Ianto and what happened in the fourth episode. Surprise, surprise.

I think the Janto moments of the series, including the last scenes of episode four were beautifully done and I think Jack's reaction to Ianto's death suited his personality. Some people forget that Ianto isn't the first person nor the last that Jack will lose in his immensely long life. For him to say he'll never forget Ianto is huge. It's also huge that he back tracked on his vow to fight in an attempt to save Ianto. Jack did say "I love you," he just didn't use those specific words. Being immortal means Jack doesn't have the "luxury" of being able to fall apart and be outwardly gutted by someone's death no matter how close he was to that person.

I also find it interesting that people are pissed that Jack would comfort Gwen at the end. Why wouldn't he? She's dealt with three deaths of co-workers/friends in a very short amount of time. She's barely had enough time to digest what she's gotten herself into with joining Torchwood, let alone to have to deal with the loss of three people she was close to in varying senses of the word. Jack should be the one comforting her, IMO.

Having said that, though, I'm in the camp of people who probably won't watch the show without Ianto. To me Gwen and Jack have always been the two least interesting characters on the show. To me it's always been about Tosh, Owen, Ianto, PC Andy, Rhys and the other characters who come and go with the different story lines.

It's not that I'm bitter about losing Tosh, Owen and Ianto; it's that I just really have no interest in watching "the Jack and Gwen show." The show no longer appeals to me because I only liked the two remaining main characters in the context of how they fit and interacted with those other characters. I'm not invested enough in Jack and Gwen to care about where they go from here. Torchwood would have to add some seriously amazing characters for me to want to watch again.

I do not want Ianto to be resurected either. That would cheapen his death and send the series into fanfiction territory. I like reading fluffy fics where Jack and Ianto are forever together, but for it to happen on the show would really make no sense, and would make for very bad TV, IMO. Jack would lose his tragic hero status and Ianto would lose his naivete and humanity. I could see Ianto being a part of the show via flashbacks when it suits the plot, but not being brought back from the dead.

I will watch the last episode because it's been a compelling series I'm curious to see how it all wraps up. I would also watch a new episode out of curiosity; but that episode would have to be beyond phenominal for me to continue with the show beyond that.

Thanks for your help. I've just downloaded Lost Souls and pre-ordered S3. I'll try to stay as spoiler-free as possible but your comment about your friend lisasimpson unsettles me somehow ... :confused: :shifty:

Wow....is all i can say. :eek:This series has probably been the best and worst thing i've ever watched. Loved and hated it in pretty much equal measure. Very emotionally wrenching, definately thought provoking- i had to cover my eyes at certain parts at the end. The moral dilemmas were handled excellently throughout and imagining how the real government would react is very scary.
Does anybody else think that was the end of TW?

I know it makes no sense seen as they've just moved to beeb one but it just seemed they were possibly sorting loose ends-they've killed off 3/4 of the original cast :wtf:, Gwen's got a happy ending and Jack's back to running away and roaming the galaxy. I seriously don't know how they can bring it back for a new series they've pretty much killed Jack's character now. I mean his own grandson?!?i applaud the daring writing but it was just a step too far imo.
I'm in the camp of people who probably won't watch the show without Ianto
Same here he was/is my fave character and there was so much that could've been done with him alone and with his relationship with Jack. I loved meeting his family and esp the part when he told his sister he was dating Jack. I was interested by the glimpses about his father too. I could handle Owen and Tosh dying even though i loved them too but don't think i can forgive killing Ianto, he was for me the heart of the show :( R.I.P i've never been this upset by a fictional charcters death before lol
Jack/Ianto was one of the best parts of the show. I'm not usually a slasher mainly because it's either not going to happen in the show ever or is done poorly but they were different. It wasn't about whether they were gay or not or that they were two hot guys they just had a beautiful relationship and great chemistry that went beyond orientation. They loved and accepted each other for who they were *sniff*
PHP:
I do not want Ianto to be resurected either. That would cheapen his death and send the series into fanfiction territory. I like reading fluffy fics where Jack and Ianto are forever together, but for it to happen on the show would really make no sense, and would make for very bad TV, IMO. Jack would lose his tragic hero status and Ianto would lose his naivete and humanity
I'd hoped tonight they would explain it away somehow or it could be reversed but the window of opportunity for that is gone now imo and it would be just bad writing, fanfic like you say and the whole storyline would've been for nothing. Same with his grandson.
PHP:
To me Gwen and Jack have always been the two least interesting characters on the show
Love Jack/JB and the darkness of his character. I'm always a sucker for a tortured hero lol, especially one that outlives everyone he loves and has to carry on travelling alone ala Doc and Jack. I find Jack's character fascinating but i don't know if he can be salvaged now. He's always made the tough decisions but allowing them to kill his grandson was just shocking for me. Some would say heroic and that it needed to be done but....just no. Would be interesting to see how they try and bring him back from despair i guess. It annoyed me that he ran off again at the end though. I'm with you on Gwen, boring character imo. These five eps were the first time i think i've ever liked her. She was good with the kids and Clem and i love her relationship with Rhys. If they try going down the Gwack route again though i would defnately not watch. I think they were hinting it throughout the whole arc even though she was pregnant and it was just meh.

I wasn't to sure about this series! I thought they kinda ruined it from the start when they blew up the Hub. The Hub was the centre point of torchwood, and when this belw up they had no technology or weapons against the 456. I know the whole idea was meant to be that they were alone with no help but i thought that kinda ruined it from the start.

Then i also think that the goverment were a bit stupid going out and trying to kill Jack, Ianto and Gwen. They knew Torchwood could of helped them, but they tried to kill them all because of politics and to cover up that the 456 had already been to the earth.

I think the way they killed Ianto was really stupid. Jack wouldn't have taken him into the building if it meant there was going to be danger. If they wanted to kill him they should have done it in a bit more heroic way!

Im also guessing there probley isn't going to be another Torchwood Series. With no Tosh, Owen, Ianto and a pregant Gwen (who probley won't want to go back to Torchwood when she gives birth) they haven't really got much of a series left! And i don't think they could replace the whole team!

Oh and i thought that Jack killing his own Grandson was really stupid! I don't think he would have done that!

I think the way they killed Ianto was really stupid. Jack wouldn't have taken him into the building if it meant there was going to be danger.
Jack would have absolutely taken him into the building regardless of the danger, IMO. That's what Torchwood operatives do. They put themselves in danger defending the Earth every day. I think it was a huge plot hole that they didn't anticipate a chemical/germ warfare type of scenario going into the building, though. The 456's holding cell was toxic to humans, so why wouldn't they think that there was a possibility of them at least releasing some of the contents of the cell into the air. They still had the air conditioning going in the building FFS. Not very smart on the part of the humans at all. Although, I just thought of it now as I was typing. :shifty:

If they wanted to kill him they should have done it in a bit more heroic way!

I think Ianto convincing Jack to stand up to the aliens instead of just going along with their plan and then standing by him as they did it was very heroic on Ianto's part. It wasn't guns blazing, fire burning, hit the ground running action; but it was heroic in a less obvious and more tragic way.

Oh and i thought that Jack killing his own Grandson was really stupid! I don't think he would have done that!

He sacrificed Jasmine to the fairies in S1. He took down his own brother in the S2 finale. Jack has always been about the greater good and this instance was no different. I think it obviously gutted him in a way that no other sacrifice he's ever made and was a main factor to him giving up on Torchwood and leaving.

Then i also think that the goverment were a bit stupid going out and trying to kill Jack, Ianto and Gwen. They knew Torchwood could of helped them, but they tried to kill them all because of politics and to cover up that the 456 had already been to the earth.

i guess that's governments for you - i thought that was actually one of the most topical, accurate things that happened the whole way through and i was pretty impressed that they tackled the entire government aspect of it head on, and not just from the uk government. cover ups, politics, 'the greater good' and all are things governments are very good at.

now i shall remove my anarchist's hat and revert to just being a mere cynic :lol:

I've been really busy with work so I had to record episodes 2 to 5. I just watched it all and I'm still processing. So much is going through my mind right now that I don't know what to say. I'm not the emotional type but tears ran down my face at the end of Day Four. How could they to that?! :scream:

I just started watching this series on Saturday and I've already bought and watched seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. I am absolutely hooked on this show now, not to mention I'm hooked on Jack. I wish they aired the new epsiodes here in the US, but they don't, at least not from what I've seen. From everything I've heard about season three, I'm excited for it to come out on DVD.

Thanks for the link! I'll read it later tonight. :)

Ausiello posted an interview with RTD about Torchwood on his blog. Backlash shmacklash! :guffaw:

Hah! Go watch Supernatural... That's awesome. :lol:

I feel bad for that other writer thought. But I'm guessing the poor dude will be learning to develop a thicker skin from here on out- there are always going to be critics and there are always going to be crazies.

I shed a tear, and I thought, "Oh no, why?" And then I moved on. :lol:

Finally got my Children of Earth DVDs! Have watched the first two episodes and ... WOW! Can't wait to watch the next three!

I must admit those were the first episodes that made me like Gwen. I mean really like her. I liked her fine but not as much as the others but now ... I might change my mind ...

Those were also the first episode where I could really see Jack and Ianto. Well, more Ianto than Jack but ... that might change?

I also got myself some audiobooks and the first two audio plays. The latter were really good but the audiobook (The Sin Eaters) was great! Can't wait to listen to more of them but first I have to watch the last three episodes!

Back