"Time of Your Death" Discussion **Beware Spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

IMO if the "crime dramas" don't show some of the personal lives of the characters you can't really care what happens to them. Frankly it would be boring for both actors and the audience. I hope CSI NY does this more next season (this season was better than last) but IMO that group just hasn't worked much on character delvelopment and camaraderie that the other two shows have.

RE Sara/Gris - the looks went on throughtout Rashomama and last night they were kicked up a notch, right after they visited the LV version of fantasy island. At the end my husband said "Why don't they just do it and get it over with!" It would be interesting if the flirtation dance goes on for a while and then they "do it" right before WP leaves the show (that is, if he does leave). They could really come up with some good story lines for those two.

2. PurpleBlood

PurpleBlood Rookie

I missed last night's episode. If anyone knows where I can view the ending with Grissom and Sara, I would appreciate it. I'm curious since I've read so much about it. Thanks.

3. lilbug

lilbug CSI Level Two

^^You could possibly get screencaps at Erica's screencaps website. I don't remember the url though.

I liked that episode for the most part. Like others have said, lots of long deep looks from Sara and Grissom. heh GSR! The plot was okay. I thought it could have been a little better.

Archie! His butt fell asleep! :lol:

4. nibbler77

nibbler77 Victim

I agree with wanting the characters to have something shown about themselves in order to create interest. Having some emotional investmest in the character's lives is important for when something does happen to them.

But on the topic of continuity, I don't believe Gris or Sara had any real set-up in Rashomama that led into this episode. Ironically, I found that Sara seemed to be deliberately juxtapositioned against Nick. They had more of an ongoing dymanic with their shared screen time as well as their opposing views of love and marriage.

Towards the end, it even seemed like Nick's romanticism had softened her a bit. Now, this in particular may have been the volley for what happened last night, but its not like Grissom was involved in that or had been giving any signals regarding about his feelings prior to TOYD.

5. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

The end scene was perfect for Griss and Sara to have an actual conversation. What is this high school, I get enough of this from Danny & Lindsay on NY .. they need to talk or let it go cause the eye glances and insinuations are getting annoying.

6. GrissomFREAK

GrissomFREAK CSI Level Two

There you go -very last scene, very last exchange of glances between Griss and Sara :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

PS: Destiny, hope you don't mind, I re-edited my post and resized the pics :)

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I know that here Comcast "On Demand" you can see the episode again for a few days for 99 cents!

That look from Grissom was smoldering... :devil:

8. Guest

Guest Guest

I have watched the episode a couple of times now, so maybe I am reading more feeling into the way Gris is looking at Sara when she is talking about weddings than there really is! To give her some credit, she did clarify that she wasn't against weddings, just against doing these rituals without knowing why or what they initially meant (the bridesmaids, the father of the bride giving her away, etc.)

9. edog

edog Lab Technician

This is just a general response to very popular musings on this board and particularly this episode. Well, probably not just this episode, but several this season.

oh, right. Um, Hi, I'm new. I usually lurk, but I felt like commenting, just because. Hence registering after many months of visiting this site.

I feel I always see the "this season has been boring" line or "it's a soap opera" or "it's jumped the shark" or any other popular complaint that I can't remember, but has been said several times since Season 6 has started. Honestly, I think Season 6 has been phenomenal except for a few bumps (Poppin' Tags, PoTTR, Daddy's Little Girl, just to name a few I think could've been better), but what season of CSI has been perfect? Sure, with any show we can always imagine that the first season was the best, but honestly, anyone can look back and find an episode from earlier seasons and wonder if it could've been better.

ToYD has been much more cohesive then some previous episodes this season have been. There was a victim, a plot gone awry and a killer who was caught. It had a general theme, "the fantasy". I enjoyed the interaction between Hodges and Catherine. The acting was superb as usual. Was the GSR heavy handed? Sure it was, but I believe someone said they've gone 21 episodes with no GSR? Um, no. They haven't. They've been dropping those subtle, corny one liners that we all secretly love all season. ;) Example: The Grissom "mouth-to-mouth" line.

Anyway, I guess my point...we as fans of a very popular television show have put the premise, the characters, the actors and the storylines on a golden pedestal. Yes, I'm a victim of this syndrome too. We expect too much because we keep comparing current episodes to previous ones that we believe to be better.

Just like anything in life, stuff can get boring or mundane or whatever. But I find comfort in the sameness. I love the corny opening lines usually delivered by Gris when first arriving at a crime scene. I love the GSR, even though it's not my ship. I love the little bit of drama they do give us whether it be Catherine's convoluted love life, Nick's dealings with stalkers, Sara's confusing, emotional attachment to Gris and childhood trauma, or Warrick's gambling addiction/live for the day attitude.

This show is a crime/drama. People tend to forget that drama part, so when it starts to lean from the crime to the characters, the world has suddenly gone crazy and to hell in a hand basket. It's okay, everyone. I promise. ;) Take comfort in the familiarity of the show. Remember that it is just a tv show and that these actors/writers/producers are working to make a living just like we are. The show has evolved and just like human beings should, the characters are evolving too. Does this evolution feel natural? Maybe it’s not, maybe it is...that’s up to you to decide, but one has to accept the fact that people change. The show will change.

I'm not trying to offend anyone, so please don't take offense. I just believe talking circles around the same complaints is fruitless pining and an unhealthy way to vent frustration. Life is too short and unpredictable to spend it picking apart little, useless things that may amount to nothing in the end.

CSI is pulling in millions upon millions of viewers each week including all of us. It’s obviously still doing something right. I always try to focus on the episodes in these threads, because well, that's what the forums should really be about...but I can't ignore the pleathora of replies that completely focus on everything but the episode.

So now that I've gotten that off my chest, I'll get off my soapbox and let everyone get back to the episode at hand. Have a good day everyone. I’m returning to lurker mode now.

10. Guest

Guest Guest

edog made the best post that I have read in pages!!!

summary ...
    "it is just a tv show" ...
    "the show will change" ...
    "talking circles around the same complaints is fruitless" ...
    "try to focus on the episodes in these threads" ...
    "get back to the episode at hand" ....

Wow, wish edog was not "returning to lurker mode" ....

11. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

Hmmm... I dunno if I was being unrealistic but, was anyone else expecting the last 4 episodes to be pretty intense? Especially after last week's PHENOMENAL episode, I thought maybe the final 4 would be going out with a bang.

Last night's episode was... fine. The acting was... fine. The storyline was... fine. But I have to say that overall I was pretty disappointed. Maybe that's not fair, because I'd obviously built up my hopes after the high quality of last week's episode, but still- I seriously think this one was one of the low-lights of the season. It just wasn't as compelling as I usually find the show, I'm sorry to say.

I wouldn't say it was awful, but it definitely wasn't great either.

12. cofi_shot

cofi_shot Captain

The idea was great-- a crime that was brought about by a make-believe fantasy turning into a reality. Think Vanilla Sky Vegas style. Having said that, unfortunately it didn't work. I don't know if it was the writing, direction, editing. It had potential to be a great eppy cause of the idea but it didn't turn out like that.

It was boring. When they were interviewing the Corvet driver I was like, come on move on we know he didn't do it. Then he made the typical "oh he's dead?" line. And of course the handy detective would threaten him with some line. That's so old style. We've seen it a million times TPTB.

And the Caprice guy, I think they could've chosen a better/more appropriate actor than that. Somebody who looked mysterious enough (cause he's supposed to be insightful and all). Instead we got a broker looking guy.

The conclusion of the case was worse. He got killed cause some of that? Alrighty. Next ep please.

I had high hopes for this ep cause it was written by the veterans-- Richard Catalini and David Rambo. Same people who brought us A Bullet Runs Through It, Still Life, Compulsion, 4x4... which were far better eps in my opinion. And it followed Rashomama, which is one great episode.

So the shippy stuff. It's just a bone to the GSR shippers who've been waiting for it the whole season. It's nothing more than Nick checking Sara out with the lace teddy in Rashomama, or Gil telling Cath he misses her tush in King Baby, or Sara telling to Greg "I could really kiss you right now". I could go on and on. I accepted it, doesn't mean I liked it though. For me IMHO, they just don't have the natural chemistry that other ships have. That's why I didn't like it. But I'm not gonna curse TPTB forever cause of it. Now for the finale spoilers... that's another story.

Any CSI ep would be lacking if there weren't some comic relief. "My butt is asleep" LMAO! Loved Greg as always. Nick was HOT as always. OMG I just realized something. Where the F is Warrick??!!! We didn't see him much last ep, and in this ep we didn't see him at all. Unless the two-part finale is all about him (like Nick in Grave Danger), there's no way they can compensate for the lack of Warrick this season. And from what I've heard, a lot of things would be going on in the finale.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

I think most of the GSR fans expect Petersens exit. hes mentioned before that he wants to be a better husband and that over the last six years hes been more Grissom than Billy.

that said. The exit is set up nicely. Maybe it won't be a romp with a co-worker but an actual relationship that forces him to leave the lab, him or her... And I'd rather beleive that Grissom ends up retired and married and happy than alone and still engulfed by his job at 65. Obviously thats a lot of speculation... but his exit will not be a surprise, expecially to GSR fans.

And whats with the "soap" talk. CSI has had soapy moments from day one. Nicky sleeping with a prostitue, Warrick and his "gambling problem". Brass daughter being a drug addict and then turns out maybe she isn't even his. catherine and all the drama that entails. I mean come on.. Lady heather could easily have been transported straight from "passions"

To me, and no offense, its silly to say its get too "soapy" and its people upset with there ship not getting the spotlight that causes them to bash the show. Silly.

14. kkennedytx

kkennedytx Rookie

I'm all for character development; in fact, I watch the show for the characters rather than the science (I watch "Forensics Files" for real forensic science investigations). What I don't like is when main characters get hooked up together in a relationship. That may be a form of character development, but it's just for those two characters and ususally leads to no further development for those characters not involved in main character relationships.

I think the little subtle hints here and there that we've had throughout all the previous seasons were great because those that wanted to see a relationship did and those who didn't want to see it could view those moments are mere friendship.

But once a relationship becomes a reality onscreen then the show's emphasis will usually shift in order to accommodate it--it's almost like having another main character added to the cast. Now that GSR is real, the GSR fans will want/expect to see it, fans of other ships involving either Grissom or Sara with someone else will be disappointed, and non-shippers will be subjected to the distraction of the 'ship. I think the only winners in the GSR relationshp will be the GSR fans, and the rest of us will have to either deal with it or stop watching the show. It will be interesting to see what happens next.

I think making GSR (or any relationship between main characters) a reality opens a whole new can of worms. Where should the writers draw the line? Now that GSR has the green light, why stop there? Why not make the Catherine/Warrick relationship a reality? Or should only the GSR fans have their wishes fulfilled? I don't have the answers, nor do I know if this new direction will definitely turn the show soap operaish--maybe, maybe not--but I admit that I'm worried about it.

15. cyko1003

cyko1003 Rookie

I’m not completely against relationships between main characters in shows because in all honesty, there are situations where these relationships do work, and like someone said in an earlier post, people do fall in love at work, it DOES happen, so it’s not completely unrealistic to have it be on a television show.

That having been said, the chemistry and situation has to be right for one of these relationships to work properly. IMO, the GSR relationship is NOT one that I would like to see develop on this show… I find it just too plain weird. I’m not minding the subtle flirting (and I agree that while the looks during ToYD may have been a bit much, they really haven’t done it much on the other 21 episodes of the season)… though the idea of actually for-real having them hook up just doesn’t sit right with me. In addition, I would much rather see a Catherine/Warrick storyline rather than a GSR one. Someone mentioned earlier about character development in CSI:NY – the last few episodes have started to delve into that area a bit more, and they also are playing with the idea of a main character relationship between Lindsay and Danny, and that’s one that I can see going well and is feasible.

Great post from edog by the way, totally agree with everything you said it there, well done.