The Way it Should Have Been - a series of H/Y fics

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Hrockz, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

Thanks Pusher for your suggestions but I kinda thought this title would be more appropriate.
    Disclaimer : I don't own CSI:Miami or any of it's characters. Though I'd love to have Horatio and Ryan. ;)
    Author's note : A big thank you to all those on the H/Y thread for helping remineise the good old H/Y days and for iginiting the spark in my head to come up with these fics.
    This is a series of fics involving H/Y set around s3-4 of CSI:Miami. This is the way I would have liked to see it on my TV screen. For all purposes of consistency Ray Jr. is not magically aged by TV Land in my fics so that would make him a 12 year old in these fics. I'm really bad at spelling so apologies in advance for any spelling errors I may make along the way.
    This is my first attempt at a CSI:Miami fic so here we go....

The following is set around the time of s3's 'Whacked'

The one thought repeating itself through Horatio's mind as his police-issue Hummer hurtled down the highway was, 'if anything happened to her he would never forgive himself.' Moments ago he had received a frantic call on his cellphone from his nephew telling him that the boy's mother and her boyfriend were fighting again. But this time it sounded worse than before. Horatio had told the boy he was on his way and had did his best to assure him everything would be alright. Now it seemed that he himself needed the reassurance.

Nearing Yelina's residence, Horatio's grip around the wheel tightened as he braced himself for what he was afraid he would see. Pulling up behind Rick's car, Horatio mused that it was ironic that the last time he was here he had inadvertently found out that Rick had moved in with Yelina.

With one swift motion Horatio removed his sunglasses and stepped out of his Hummer. He saw Rick make a hasty exit from the front door of Yelina's house, an overnight bad slung on his shoulder. At that instant Horatio decided that if Rick had done anything to hurt Yelina he would not hesistate to carry out the threat he issued to Rick a couple of months ago when Yelina had turned up at work with a black eye.

The sound of a car screeching to a halt in the front of her house made Yelina wonder to the front door curious to see who it was. She was in no mood for visitors. To her dismay she realised it was her brother-in-law. Ray Jr. must have called him. She watched as Horatio purposefully bumped into Rick. Unable to make out what was being said, she hoped the exchange between the two men would not result in a fist-fight.

Ok that's my first instalment, enjoy and please give me feedback. I promise the next instalment soon!

2. Pusher

Pusher Coroner

ur always welcome my dear one :) btw love the title :p
    good work, keep going this way :D

and here is the link to ur fanfic - u can copy and paste in H/Y theread ;)

http://talk.csifiles.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=1083198&Main=1083198#Post1083198

(usually u have to copy the Address on the top of ur Internet Explorer, also can use Instant UBB Code when u make new post -> post preview - URL and copy,paste the link there too)

3. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

"Things better be ok in there," Hortio growled at Rick.

"Horatio... here to play hero again?" Rick scoffed.

Horatio continued to stare at Rick, his expression unreadable.

"She's perfectly capable of taking care of herself..."

"Walk Rick," Horatio warned.

Rick backed away arms stretched out to show he didn't want trouble.

Yelina watched as Rick walked to his car and Horatio approached her front door. She went out to meet him.

Horatio stopped outside the house, waiting for her to join him. He noiced that Yelina looked like she had been crying. He hated to see her this way.

Tiliting his head slightly he asked softly,"You ok?"
    "I am now," Yelina replied louder than Horatio had expected her to. She refused to meet his gaze but instead stared at Rick who was getting into his car. She was grateful his first words were of his concern for her well-being rather than a 'I told you so' speech.
    Trying to lighten the situation, Horatio leaned towards her and said almost flirtatiously, "Looks like you didn't need me afterall."
    "That's not true..." Yelina's voice sounded a little shaky and Horatio waited for her to continue, "... and that will never be true."

Horatio was caught off guard for a moment. What was she implying? The boundaries he had created years ago to keep himself from falling in love with his sister-in-law immediately popped up in his head again. Unable to come up with a suitable reply, Horatio decided his best course of action was to change the subject.

"Is Ray here?" He asked hoping she didn't notice he was unnerved by what she had just said.
    "Yeah," Yelina nodded with a sigh. She was used to being disappointed. She turned and entered the house.
    "Ray!" she yelled calling for her son to come see his uncle.

Horatio mentally kicked himself. 'You fool, you're already in love with her' he chided himself. She probably needed some word of comfort from him now but he was unable to offer her any. Sighing he follwed her into the house to meet with his nephew.

4. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

Yelina watched as Horatio and Ray Jr entered the house after their little talk in her backyard. To her Horatio had always been as much of a father to Ray Jr as Raymond had.

"I'm sorry to put you through all this buddy," Yelina told her son as he turned to stand infront of her.

"It's ok I guess," Ray shrugged.

"I promise you, no more of this, Rick is gone for good. It's just you and me again." Yelina smiled apologetically at her son.

Ray nodded and Yelina gave him a quick hug aware that the boy was now becoming a teenager and wouldn't want to be embaressed infront of his uncle.

"Go do your homework ok?" Yelina gave Ray a gentle push towards his room.

For his part Ray didn't protest to homework on a Saturday evening and started towards his room. Perhaps he sensed his mom had something to say to his uncle.

"I'll see you soon ok buddy?" Horatio called after his nephew.

"Ok, Uncle Horatio," Ray called from down the hallway.

Turning to face Yelina Horatio was relieved to see that a small smile had found it's way across her face.

Horatio returned the smile and their eyes locked for a moment. She looked stunning in her body-hugging green dress, and Horatio felt the familiar tug at his heart he felt whenever Yelina was near.

"So umm, if it's ok with you.... umm.... if it's ok with you, I'd like to stop by after work later... just to make sure Ray's ok..." Horatio hoped it didn't sound too much like a lame excuse to stop by. He hated how his tongue never seemed to work when he tried to talk to her about things like this, things other than work. He felt like a nervous teenager asking the girl he had a crush on, out on a date. Not that he was asking Yelina out on a date.

"I'll make dinner." Yelina replied almost too quickly as Horatio raised his eyebrows at her.

"I don't want to make you go to too much trouble, I just wanna see how Ray is doing. You know, after today..." Horatio realised he was rambling.

"It's no trouble at all," Yelina smiled. She always took pleasure in making the unflappable Lt Caine feel like an inadequate schoolboy. "It's my day off anyway."

"Great! I'll bring dessert."

"I'm in the mood for chocolate chip ice cream," Yelina replied remembering Horatio's flitatious mood earlier on.

"I'll try to remember that." Horatio's mind and tongue finally seemed to be working coherently.

"Good, I'll see you later then." Yelina flashed Horatio another of her irresistable smiles.

Horatio felt his heart skip a couple of beats. Ducking his head, Horatio's gaze dropped to the floor as he grinned. The ringing of his cellphone interupted his thoughts. It was Ryan and Horatio was needed back at the lab.

He reached into his jacket pocket to pull out his sunglasses. Putting them on he looked back up at Yelina.

"So I'll see you later then."

"Yeah, you will."

"Good... good. Thank you." Horatio offered her smile and a small wave goodbye as he walked to the door. This day was turning out to be better than he expected.

So what do you guys think? I got you hooked? ;)
    For all those H/Y fans out there, hang on we're getting there. Horatio and Yelina will get together soon, at least in my fics :p

5. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Hrockz, this is a lovely continuation of what happened on the show. It's very 'them' and yes, I'm already hooked! It is very well written. :D

I really like the idea of taking something that has happened and expanding on it. Happens in my head all the time, especially with these two who never fail to touch my romantic heart. ;)

More please! :D

A little something to set the scene....

[​IMG]

6. cainesugar

cainesugar Coroner

Oh man I'm so hooked! Please- more! You should write a short novel about the way it should have been...
    Ok, sorry. More please! :D

7. Kit4na

Kit4na CSI Level Two

Very nice, can't wait how it continues :D

8. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

Thanks for all your positive feedback guys, keep the comments coming. Luce lovely pic to complement the fic. Thanks! I planned to make my fic chronological like on TV but I might change it up a little, so that you can post more caps here. Cos I realised when I get to s4 stuff there'll be no more pics of H/Y to post, only of H. But I'll think about it when I get there.
    "Lips of an Angel" is playing on my radio now, it's such a H/Y song. So I'm inspired. For now a little more to wet the appetite... ...

For the second time that day Horatio pulled up infront of Yelina's house. The feeling however was a marked contrast to what he felt earlier that day. He removed his sunglasses and slipped them into his jacket pocket. Horatio picked up the paperbag containing dessert and stepped out of his car.
    He took a deep breath to calm his nerves and made his way towards the house. It had been too long since he had been here.

*** flashback to Hell Night ***

"I can't stop picturing his face in my mind," Ray confided in his uncle.

"And I don't want you to stop. Do you know why?" Horatio asked.
    The two of them were seated on a bench in the crime lab, waiting for Yelina to come pick Ray.
    "I guess so," Ray replied.

Horatio offered the boy a smile. "Your mom will be here soon."

"With Stetler.." Ray scoffed.

Horatio picked up the disdain the boy felt for his mom's boyfriend immediately. Well at least that was something they both had in common. Horatio never really liked Rick and found it hard to understand why he was Yelina's choice of boyfriend after Raymond.

"You never come round anymore," Ray complained interupting Horatio's thoughts.

"Well buddy, I'm giving your mom some space."

"She doesn't need space," Ray countered.

Such insight for a 12-year old Horatio mused. Changing the subject Horatio replied, "You know what we need? We need a fishing trip."

"Really? Yeah!" Ray enthusiastically replied.

Horatio smiled and nodded. Just then Yelina and Rick approached.

"Excuse me," Horatio rose from his seat, "There she is," he smiled at Yelina. She didn't return the smile but instead took her son into her arms for an embrace.

"Hey buddy, ready to go?" Yelina asked Ray.

Rick reached out to shake Horatio's hand, "Thanks for your help Horatio."

"No problem, he's my nephew," Horatio reminded Rick.

Horatio watched as the three of them turned towards the elevator.

"So I'll see you Saturady ok buddy?" Horatio called after Ray. Ray nodded.

The elevator doors opened, Rick reached out for Yelina's hand and she took it. Horatio gelt the familiar pang of jealousy knaw at his heart. The thought of her in the arms of another man, in bed with another man even, made Horatio twitch his lip involuntarily. When he found out Yelina had started seeing Rick he had convinced himself that she deserved to be happy and that was all that mattered. Her happiness, not his. He tried to rationalize why she had chosen Rick. He thought it could be due to the fact that he never got round to asking her out as she had once told him.

"He asked me out, I said yes. That's usually how it works."

Not like them, they were complicated as she had so aptly put it. She deserves to be happy he kept telling himself.

*** end flashback ***

Horatio shook his head slightly. Perhaps now he had a chance to uncomplicate things. Perhaps he had another shot with Yelina, to give her the happiness he thought she deserved. Horatio suddenly found himself at Yelina's doorstep, a tub of melting ice cream in his hand.

He was about to ring the door-bell when he noticed the door was slightly ajar. Had Rick come back? Was there another fight? Horatio's right hand instinctively tried to come to rest on his gun which would have usually been holstered to his side. Instead his hand dropped to his side, causing him to remember that he was off duty.

Horatio cautiously pushed the door open... ...

The flashback is for you to post pics if you like Luce :)

9. Pusher

Pusher Coroner

hey, u read my mind re H thoughts in the end of "Hell Night" :lol: but why ur instalment end in the most interesting part hehe :p will it have some nice surprise for H or again drama between him and Y :devil:

10. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

No worries Pusher , great minds! Or rather I might say H/Y minds. :lol:

It's precisely the lack of Y news/spoilers that made me get up off my ass and start writing this fics. But thanks for the positive feedback.

I'll try not to leave you guys with the cliff-hanger for too long. Will get down to the next instalment just as soon as I can organise all those ideas floating around in my head.

11. HoratioAndMe

HoratioAndMe Captain

Very well written! Wow. An interesting idea, expanding on moments with these two, and its been heartwarming to read. :)

12. HC_4_my_birthday

HC_4_my_birthday Lab Technician

I love it Hrockz big H/Y fan so any fics about them will do for me and the title is rigth to keep up the good work :)

13. Hrockz

Hrockz Coroner

The door now fully open, Horatio was relieved to see Ray Jr seated on the couch, his fingers mashing at the controller for his PlayStation 2.

"Knock, knock," Horatio said as he walked towards Ray.

"Hey Uncle Horatio," Ray replied.

"The door was open," Horatio pointed out.

"Mom told me to get the door for you when you get here but I didn't want to be interupted from my game." Ray explained.

Horatio chuckled, "I see."

"Mom's in the kitchen."

"Ok."

Horatio made his way to the kitchen and caught a glimpse of Yelina, now dressed in tight-fitting jeans and a tank top, bent over to remove something from the oven. His eyes fixed on the image he saw, Horatio almost tripped over Ray's soccer ball lying in the hallway.

Yelina turned at the noise and was greeted with a sheepish looking Horatio.

"I didn't forget dessert," Horatio said holding up the paperbag, "but it's melting."

"Toss it in the freezer," Yelina smiled, clearly happy to see him. "Dinner is ready why don't you take off your jacket and have a seat?"

Dinner was pleasant and as the night progressed Horatio began to relax. Slowly the barriers he had errected to distance himself from Yelina began to crumble and Horatio began to realised how much he missed her company.

-----------

With the top two buttons of his stripped shirt unbuttoned, the sleeves rolled up above his elbows and a dishcloth drapped over his shoulder Horatio looked the perfect picture of a domesticated husband. Yelina never thought the sight of a man doing the dishes would be sexy to her but Horatio was proving her wrong.

"You know you shouldn't have to do this, you're my guest." Yelina said as she stood beside Horatio.

"Don't worry about it," Horatio replied as he put the neatly stacked plates back on the shelf.

The dishes done Horatio now turned his attention to Yelina.

"You sure you ok?" he asked.

"Yeah I'm sure."

"Yelina - "

"Ok, ok.... I could have been better." Yelina replied.

Horatio looked into her eyes urging her to continue.

"I was ready to move on after Raymond... and for a time I was ready to move on with you... but you never asked me out and, I got tired of waiting. Then Rick asked me out, he seemed nice and I wanted to know what it would be like to go out with another man again. We had some good times, Rick and I, but he has a really bad temper you know..." The familiar sadness flashed across her eyes.

"I'm sorry," Horatio apologised. "I should have..."

"Should have what Horatio? Not everything that goes wrong is your fault you know."

Horatio mentally berated himself. To think he could have saved her all this sadness.

Yelina's tone of voice changed. "It's late, you better go. I'll be ok." Yelina offered him a smile to assure him she was going to be alright.

"Ok." Horatio complied, he sensed she wanted to be alone. "I'm glad you told me this."

"It's something I wanted to get off my chest anyway." Gesturing to the door Yelina offered, "I'll walk you."

Horatio said his goodbye to Ray and they walked to the front door. Standing at the doorsteps Horatio turned to face her.

"So I'd really like to take you to dinner. How does tomorrow night sound?" Horatio asked surprised he had the courage to ask. It was a simple question, one he should have asked a long time ago.

"Horatio, I can't do this right now." Yelina lowered her head. The breeze blew a few locks of her curly hair across her face and Horatio had to fight the urge to brush them aside.

"This?" Horatio asked, not following.

"This... us." Yelina retuned her gaze to him. "You have always been there for me when I needed you Horatio, more so than Raymond had been... All these years you have been more than a brother-in-law to me. You're a very dear friend... And somewhere along the way, we fell in love with each other...." She was the first to admit this, in her emotionally charged state Yelina was the one bold enough to state what they both already knew.

"If I say yes, we'd start going out on dates, relight the old spark, we'd probably end up together. I'm coming off a bad relationship... I can't deal with this right now. We're complicated remember?"

Horatio felt like someone had stabbed him in the heart. "Ok I understand." he forced a smile. The breeze tousled his red hair which now mirrored his mixed emotions.

"I'm sorry." Yelina said blinking back tears.

"There's no need to apologise." Horatio replied gently. "I'll wait. I'll wait till you're ready."

"Thank you."

Horatio nodded. "So I'll see you at work tomorrow right?"

Yelina smiled. "Yeah, you will... if you like you can come round for dinner next week." she added offering him a glimmer of hope.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world." Horatio smiled back. "Goonight."

"Goodnight." Yelina watched as Horatio made his way to his car. She knew she'd probably broke his heart that night but if they were to start a relationship she wanted them to get off on the right foot.

As he got into his car the one thought that kept repeating itself in his mind was that she deserved to be happy. And this time he was determined to be the one to bring her that happiness.

14. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

Aw, very nicely done. Very tasteful and subtle - exactly how it should be for these two! Thanks for the update. I'm very much looking forward to more. :)

15. MiamiDade

MiamiDade Pathologist

A great read and you understand them so well (something that is very often lacking in fanfic). Very nicely written indeed and I hope there's more to come! :D