The Random Facts Thread

There is a U.S. state capital that was named after a famous German. Bismarck, North Dakota, was named after Otto von Bismarck.

The population of the entire world in 5000 B.C., according to the National Population Council, was 5 million.

In 1970, only 5 percent of the American population lived in cities.

The first known pizza shop, Port 'Alba in Naples, opened in 1830 and is still open today. Gennaro Lombardi opened the first pizzeria in North America in 1905 at 53 1/3 Spring Street in New York City.

eating pizza reduces the risk of testicular cancer!!! (and there is something else, but its not PG-13 so ill just say the first half)

In Georgia, USA, it's illegal to eat fried chicken with a fork.

A Blue Whale's whistle is the loudest noise made by an animal.

Ostriches stick their head in sand to look for water.

The rabbit and parrot can see behind them without turning their heads.

Lettuce is a member of the sunflower family.

Your feet are bigger in the afternoon than the rest of the day.

-The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."
-"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".
-Cat's urine glows under a blacklight.
-Almonds are members of the peach family.
-The word "set" has more definitions than any other word in the English
language.

xoxo

yeah cat's pee glows in the dark, ive seen it its hillarious. my friend didnt believe me so i sed shut the cat in ur room for a night and then turn the light on for a while and then turn it off... sure enough the center of her bed started glowing, the look on her face was priceless!!!

The national anthem of Greece has 158 verses, no-one in Greece has memorized all 158 verses. xoxo

Wait you mean there's more to memorize then this :eek:

The Greek National Anthem

Se gnoriso apo tin kopsi,
Tou spathiou tin tromeri,
Se gnoriso apo tin opsi,
Pou me via metra tin yi.
Ap' ta kokala vialmeni,
Ton Ellinon ta iera,
Ke san prota andriomeni,
Haire, o haire, Eleftheria!
(repeat previous two lines three times)

English Translation

We knew thee of old,
Oh, divinely restored,
By the lights of thine eyes,
And the light of thy Sword,
From the graves of our slain,
Shall thy valour prevail,
As we greet thee again-
Hail, Liberty! Hail!
(repeat previous two lines three times)

Maybe I'll be the first Greek to memorize all 158 verses ;).

Global warming is happening before our eyes.
Christian Bale a.k.a. Batman played in the movie Newsies
Coco beans/peelings are good for your soil and yard
If you spit on a slug it will shrivel up

-One in every 2.5 marriages ends up in divorce.

-If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days, you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.

-Men can read smaller print than women; women can hear better.

-Every two and a half years , there are two full moons in a month instead of the usual one full moon. The second full moon is called a blue moon.

-If you toss a 5 cent piece 10,000 times, it will not be heads 5000 times, more like 4950. The heads picture weighs more, so it ends up on the bottom.

When the Black Death swept across England one theory was that cats caused the plague. Thousands were slaughtered. Ironically, those that kept their cats were less affected, because they kept their houses clear of the real culprits, rats.

Women blink nearly twice as much as men.

A cow's stomach has four compartments: the rumen, the recticulum (storage area), the omasum (where water is absorbed), and the abomasum ( the only compartment with digestive juices).

The giant squid is the largest creature without a backbone. It weighs up to 2.5 tons and grows up to 55 feet long. Each eye is a foot or more in diameter.

they kept their houses clear of the real culprits, rats.

Technically, rats weren't the real culprits either. Fleas were the real culprits. It was the fleas that carried the plague. And the fleas that bit people, thus transmitting the plague. The rats just carried the fleas around from place to place. Lots of people don't know that. But, it is just one of the things I learned from hanging out at Renaissance faires. ;)

Back