The Official Pets thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by GilGrissomCSI, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

There some questions to be answered first

1) how old is Roscoe
    2) how long have you had him
    3) what does he do when you leave him

If he barks when you leave him, you could try some of the anti barking collars that are available. There are also muzzles you could use. There are also ultra sonic anti barking devices available if you don't want a collar or muzzle.

If he is destructive when you leave him you could try crating him. If he's never been crated before you will probably need to do this slowly.

If he's not being destructive you could try leaving the room he's in for short periods of time to begin with and don't pay attention to him if he starts to fuss. You have to show him who the boss is and if you let him know you are still around he's winning the battle. Once he gets use to the short periods of being left alone start making them longer periods. He should eventually realize that you are coming back. One thing to remember is when you come back into the room don't pay attention to him first off. Again he has to learn who the bosses in the house are.

I hope this helps :) If you want some more info you could pm me or some one has started a social group here for people that work in pet stores. You may want to try one of them.

2. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

Sog i dog sat last nite for my grandad who went out with my parents and they have a springer spaniel pup called Milly....

I am allergic to dogs and this was interesting cos she loves attention but luckily i was ok as it was only for an evening and dosed up on antihistamine... but she is to adorable not to play with.

Milly1
    Milly 2 being totally mad
    She was playing with her rubber duck and rolling onto her back and loosing the duck then just laying there cos she couldnt work out how to get back onto her front was amusing cos she kept doing it.
    Milly 3
    After wanting to go for a walk she found a stick and sat in the grass to chew it.

I would soo love a dog but now suffering with a blocked nose and sneezes cos she's been in house its not possible

3. PintSizeGenius

PintSizeGenius Lab Technician

Thanks for the info, Jacquie. He's 7 and we've had him 2 years. When we leave him we lock him in the living room. He barks, chews the door handle and jumps up onto the windowsill, damaging it.

A while ago my parents called in an animal psychologist who gave us similar advice, and we have been trying those techniques, but he doesn't seem to have got any better.

We have recently bought a crate to try. My parents say that's his last chance. I hope it works.

PSG xxx

4. allmaple

allmaple Judge

ive never owned a dog so im not sure how to handle that situation. there was man who had a show called 'good dog' way before dog whisperer was on. his name is dr stanley corin and he was originally a human psychiatrist before working with dogs, he has several books out that could be helpful.

where i volunteer there is a baby chicken (maybe, were not quite sure what he is) that was dropped off. its a wildlife rescue clinic, but we took him in anyway and he will probably get a home. he loves people and gets upset if he is alone. his name is george, after george eads :D i named him of course...

george, the baby maybe chicken
    he loves to be held and perch on my arm he fell asleep on me shortly after this :lol:

hes so sweet, id take him home if i could!

5. sidlewannabee

sidlewannabee CSI Level One

I love dogs. Theyare one of my favorite animals, right next to dolphins and whales. We don't have a dog because my mom doesn't want to be the one that ends up walking the dog, feeding the dog, and taking care of the poop. After the first couple of months, it will turn out that she will be right. I would like to get a dog when i live on my own. I love dogs, but I don't like big mean dogs.

6. allmaple

allmaple Judge

my sweet chicken george passed away yesterday :( he had been stepped on by a volunteer last week and wasnt looking too good last time i saw him on tuesday. he had a sore leg and looked uncomfortable, they thought he might have internal fractures. he had an xray yesterday and there was a blockage in his g.i tract, he died a bit later. i didnt get to see him one last time :( he was such a sweetie, my heart broke a little bit...

7. Jacquie

Ah allmaple sorry to hear about George :( Make sure you stop by the Ward for a serving of the other George in your life :)

3 out of 4 cats Tuppence and Riley up top, Oliver on the bench

8. rissarose

rissarose Rookie

I'm so sorry for your loss, allmaple. :(

My puppy is turning four today. We're going to take him to the park later and continue to spoil him like we always do.

9. Jacquie

Well people I must pass on some sad cat news. We had to put Thomas Jefferson down early this evening. Thomas suffered a stroke. When we took him to the emergency clinic they confirmed that he had had a stroke and also was in heart failure. Thomas had a heart murmur. We did the humane thing and put him to sleep :( We will miss the little guy. He would have been 11 in August. 2 years ago Thomas had to have a third of tail remove because of a vascular problem. He came through that with flying colours.

Thomas will be missed by Oliver, Tuppence and Riley as well as by my hubby and I. He could be an annoying little guy at times, always wanting attention when some one else was getting it. Oliver was usually the victim. Thomas would never sit on our laps but he sure liked to sit on the arm rest of our chesterfield. He also had a habit of stealing our seats when we got up for something. He also liked to swat us when we went by him if you weren't paying attention to him. Thomas will be sorrowfully missed. He gets to join Max our first cat in Cat Heaven where he will be annoying all the other cats. R.I.P Thomas. August 1997 to June 29, 2008 :( Take care Thomas, Peter and I loved you.

10. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I'm so sorry both Jacquie and Allmaple. Jacquie we had to put our cat with Alzheimer's down a year or so ago and we still miss him. But it's good to remember you did the right thing by the cat.

Well our beloved Bloodhound Dixie is going to a dog boot camp until the end of the month because she's been very traumatized and the people who run this place know what they're doing and can help her heal. When she comes back I'll post photos of her and our runt kitten.

11. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Allmaple and Jacquie I am so sorry for both of your's lost.

I know it's so hard to lose a pet. I've lost four dogs in my lifetime and one of them I never got to say goodbye too.

Just know that they are now just frolicking around and having fun.

12. Marns

Marns CSI Level Two

I have a new picture of Skipper, where he looks a little bit more cute instead of like he has a bit too much to drink. :lol:

Clickk!

13. PintSizeGenius

PintSizeGenius Lab Technician

Sorry for your loss, Jacquie and Allmaple.

It looks like my dog will be sticking around :) My parents are giving him another chance. I think it was because they had had a stressful week and he got on theirl ast nerve. I'm glad he's staying, even though he can be a real pain at times.

14. EmilyRocks

EmilyRocks Police Officer

3 cats --
    JT is a big fluffy grey blob - I begged my fiance for a kitten and I got him.
    Roscoe came from a barn. He's grey and striped and weights 14 lbs.
    Steve's full name is "Steve Smith #89 best receiver in the NFL". My husband named him that. I call him little bullet because he runs really fast everywhere he goes.

We also have 4 fish that I've had forever.

Plus 2 hermit crabs that belong in my classroom with my 2nd graders but during the summer they stay at home with me and my husband.

There's a rabbit that hangs around in our backyard, so I'm gonna count him too, he's soooo cute!

15. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

So someone emailed me this youtube video of a guy that puts puppies to sleep just by singing to them. You really have to see it to believe it, but the puppies go to sleep.

Whether you're a dog person or not, you'll enjoy seeing this.

so click here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.