The Official Pet Thread pt2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jul 24, 2008.

1. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Aww I'm so sorry, Mom :( Poor Ellie... :( This is a really hard decision... not so long ago I made the same with Juri... but I know and you propably know too, that it's the right one. As hard as it is life is no more fun for her :(

As for the forum... thanks for the info! I might go there and seek for help :) I really can't wait to have them around me permanently... they're such a joy :D

2. Jacquie

Jacquie Ward Girl Moderator

Sorry to hear about this Smokey :(

3. elmaelma77

elmaelma77 Victim

Spam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011
  4. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

So sorry Smokey, it's sad that the feeding thing is not working out :(
    If it indeed happens, at least she's had a good 15 years with you and she'll have plenty of good company in Heaven!

NickyFan, I have wild kittens that I trap every summer around 8 weeks, and then socialize and find homes for. It can be tough, since kittens are not like puppies who love human contact from the moment they open their eyes. Once I catch them, I put them in this big dog cage that we used to use to take our Australian Shepherd to dog shows in. I put in food, water and a litter box and then just try to handle them as much as I can after they get past the hissing and spitting stage. Once they get to where I can catch them, I let them out around the house in certain rooms. I couldn't do it if I didn't have this huge dog cage though. I have 4 right now that I'm looking for homes for, it's so hard because I always want to keep them, but I can't :lol:

5. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

BIG HUGS, Smokey! :( You made the right decision even if it doesn't feel like it.

Nickyfan, I would hope the people at the shelter are socializing them.

6. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Well... they do the best they can with them... but fact is that they have more than 90 dogs and 250 cats to look after, so they can't be there for them as much as they would need... mostly they spend the day in their special kitten room... but that's not the same as in my apartment... there are no plants and there is no couch they can put there claws on... it sure will be a challenge to make them get used to all the things here... and they also have behaviour problems... don't know when it's time to stop and when it's playtime and when not... just like kids :lol:

7. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I drove Miss Ellie out to the vet first thing this morning and left her. The vet was going to look at her and see if there was anything we could do, but barring a miracle "oh here's the problem!" discovery I was comfortable in my decision to let her go.

Then the vet called me at about 5:00 and I was expecting to hear that there was nothing to be done but instead she said Ellie had a respiratory infection and we could try antibiotics for a few days, etc. blah blah etc.

So after having come to the decision after much heartache and soul searching, I had to make it again. :( I just wish she had been diagnosed with something clear cut....something to decide for me. But she wasn't. :(

I couldn't take the chance. I couldn't have her on a feeding tube or try to force food down her and pills down her and hope it worked. And then have to take her back out there again, this time for good.

So I let her go. :( And it's even worse because I feel like she was offering a bit of hope and I didn't take it. :( I know better...I lived with Ellie...and I know she was tired and ready to go. But it was so hard to have to turn down trying something else. :(

I don't have enough frownies for this post. :( I miss my girl so much and my heart hurts so bad. :(

8. LionsHeart

LionsHeart Lab Technician

I'm sorry to hear about your cat, Smokey. =(

For what it's worth, I think you made the right choice. We had a pretty similar situvation with our dog a few years ago.She was tired all the time and got steadily worst. It finally got to the point where she couldn't walk 200 meters without taking a break, even though she was usually really energetic. When we took her to the vet, we found out she had a diabetes. The vet told us that she could have treated with some medication (Don't remenber how anymore), but that there was a chance she could one day just die away, without us being able to do anything.
    '
    So we did the only right and put her to sleep. At the time I kept on thinking - in the same way you are probably doing now- that what if we had just tried to treat her and maybe she would have by some miracle got better. But now that it's been about 6 years, I know we did the exactly right decision. She was really suffering and I feel it would have been selfish to keep her with us, just because we weren't ready to let go yet. So even though I know your going to miss Elllie, in my oppinion, you made the exactly right decision.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  9. Jacquie

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

-author anonymous

Smokey, I so sorry about Ellie :( She was a beautiful looking lady. There are no right or wrong answers in dealing with a pet but as you said you knew her. She's at peace now and will be watching over you, Snow Kitty and Cricket (I believe I have his name right)

*hugs*

10. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Smokey, always believe you made the right choice for Ellie. :( It may not be easy on us humans but they look to us to make the decision for them. It sounds like you went as far as you could, weighed the alternatives, and made a decision that both you and Ellie were ok with. It's never easy to say goodbye to your best friend. :(

Susan

11. Smokey

Thanks guys. Yes, I am sure I made the right decision....except when I'm not sure. *sigh* But there was a point Monday night where she was so miserable that I wanted to scoop her up and take her right away to anyone who would put her out of her misery for me. :(

Except...then I think...well, she had the infection and maybe we could clear it and she wasn't eating but maybe if we cleared the infection she would eat, etc. :( Wishful thinking, I'm sure, but it's still there in my mind.

12. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

And that's what makes you a good owner. :)

We've had 9 cats in my lifetime starting with Tigger, who was born 1 month before me and ending with Socks, who we have now, and if there's anything I've learned its that you don't always know why. :( Only 3 of those 9 do we know difinitively why ... Butterscotch died from the feline lukemia (he's the only one I've never forgiven myself for as I never got the chance to say goodbye :(). Fluffernutter was put to sleep for old age, she just couldn't even do the basics to take care of herself anymore and nobody knew exactly how old she was when she just walked in the door. And Wicket we put to sleep because he couldn't smell so there was no way we were going to get him to eat anymore and he was such a small cat he wouldn't have lasted very long without eating. Everybody else (except Pookie who just plain died and we don't really know why) we've questioned if we were doing the right thing.

Susan

13. Smokey

Thanks again. It sure does help to hear other stories from everyone. I guess no matter what the circumstances, when it comes down to it we all feel the same way.

I hadn't paid for the final visit, so I mailed a blank check today to my vet along with a picture of Ellie and a thank you card to the vet and her assistant who took such good care of my girl all her life. They knew her so well and loved her too, and I know my vet hated putting her down. :( I told them, people always ask me why I drive all the way out there for "a vet", and the reason is the two of them.

And while I was in the store looking for the perfect card (and I found it), the store's music system was playing "Over the Rainbow". Imagine that. :)

14. Jacquie

some things are just meant to be :)

15. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

Smoky, you did the right thing, even as hard as it was. We've had to make that choice with 4 dogs so far, over the last 20 years, and they were all excruciating choices. The one thing about them all though, was that there wasn't much lag time between the various illnesses of each dog and the actual euthanasia. There wasn't any time to prepare, only like a day at the most, so your mind kind of shuts down temporarily until it's over. There was not really any *should we* question, there weren't a lot of choices for those dogs at the time. Our oldest dogs now are 10 and 11, and my oldest cat is 12, but I'm still planning on quite a few more years yet for all of them. :)

We've used the same vet for 20 years now. I actually went to high school with him, and he's also the only equine vet in the area. We use him for all of our animals, and he's a real treasure. We've had mega experiences with him during the course of our horse breeding business. It's sadly the nature of our business to have to put down horses and foals occasionally, they are actually pretty fragile animals in many ways, but they are usually in the course of an emergency or something, ie; colics or malpositioned foals, etc. No matter how you deal with it, even knowing it's a business, it never ever becomes any easier. And with horses, I can almost guarantee the emergency will most likely be in the middle of the night or on a weekend :rolleyes:

I think the hardest thing I've ever had to do was decide to put down my oldest and best loved broodmare and riding horse. Age and arthritis had finally gotten the better of her, so I had to make that decision. The worst part was having to set the appointment far in advance to coincide with the animal disposal company. I had to wait for over a week for that day, and every day and night was torture. Every little tiny thing would make me cry, and it almost made me wish for the times when it was an emergency and things had to happen fast. It's been a year and a half now and the ranch is still not the same without her :(

I know you'll keep all of your good memories of Ellie in your heart, and it does get a bit easier with time, but she's at peace now. I also know that she's running around with a multitude of great furbabies that all of us have sent along over the years.

My condolences to you and your family!! Hang in there!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011