The Official Pet Thread pt2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jul 24, 2008.

1. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Aww I like your Socks, blackflag. She looks like a real cutie and with her white feet it sure looks as if she would wear socks :)

I've got a question... for all of you who had kittens or know how they tick...
    is it normal for kittens to use the litter box eight times a day (plus/minus one or two times)??? It really seems like a lot... but that's the number of times Teddy and George both use it during the day... and I'm not sure if that's normal for kittens... seems like a lot.

Another weird thing is that they always have to use it at the same time as the other one does :rolleyes:

Every help is appreciated :)

2. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  3. LionsHeart

LionsHeart Lab Technician

It sounds compleatly normal to me. I think that "the rule" with kittens and (puppys) is that every time they do something new, like sleep or eat or play, afterwards they need to use the litter box.

I though I could post a couple of pics from our familys dogs.
    We've got two dogs, Taiga and Aslak. Taiga is 5 years old, and she's a Finnish Lapphund. Aslak is Taigas puppy and he's little over 7 months old. He's half a Finnish Lapphund and half a Finnish Spitz.

Taiga's summer look
    "Mmm, cosy"
    Cooling off
    "Take it easy, take it easy..."

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  4. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Beautiful dogs, LionsHeart and Urban Legand! :)

Well, after letting my vet know that my decision was to let Ellie go, I mailed them a blank check to cover the final charges. Today I received a statement in the mail. They charged for the last bag of syringe food I got her and also for the final office visit, but they did not charge for the final anesthesia or the euthanasia. I thought that was very nice of them.

My vet ran the Cat Care Center just down the street from me before moving way out west of town to her farm. I know many of her clients stopped going because it was too far out of the way, but I kept going to her because she knew me and she knew my cats. That meant more to me than a more convenient clinic where I was just one of many owners and animals coming in every day.

At my vet's farm, she also runs a horse rescue. Here is a little video about her and the horses and cats. :)

5. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Puppy has quite spitz's looks :D We had pure Finnish spitz in the 80s and he had a red nose ;)

For the FInnish breeds, we have one Finnish hound and IMHO they are one of the most loveliest breeds. They don't bark without a reason (unlike our norwegian elkhounds or that stupid hunting terrier) and they are just.. lovely. Ours sometimes forgets his size but how he loves humans and is so active. Sometimes too active. Hasn't been really taught to stay put so he always tries to break my nose while I'm putting GPS collar around his neck :p

Those are not my dogs, I am cat person. Me and my cats have had "kill a rat in a day" since we've had a bit of a rat problem. Of course my side it's been my bf who's been killing the rats, my traps are not working :p I can't believe my older cat.. she's like 2,5kg and she just keeps killing and eating rats and stuff and you never see her stomach round or like it would be full (unlike our male cat)

... and our male cat has a way to show when he is upset. He keeps destroying newspapers.

6. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Dog-sitting for my sister for the next couple of weeks:

Cesar - about 15 years old, and going deaf. :(
    Teddy - about 9 years old, likes licking, A LOT. :rolleyes:

I may be posting more about them in the rant thread. :lol:

7. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

What a cutie Teddy is Raynn! I need to take a newer pic of my puppy, she's a Yorkie Poo and is 7 months old.

8. Smokey

I know I've already talked your ears off about Ellie, but I wanted to post a final goodbye to her.

Sweet little girl...she passed on 6/29/11.

You were meant to be mine, weren't you? Everyone tells me that I attract the "trouble cats", but only because they know I will take care of them. Must be true. I went looking for you and a companion just weeks after my boy Rex passed away. The house was so empty and I was so alone. I couldn't bear to "replace" him, but I needed company.

I was looking to adopt two adult cats who needed homes and was directed to a lady who was fostering several in her home. When I walked into that room full of cats, you were high up on a perch in the corner like you were queen of the castle. :) But you hopped down and walked right up to me and plopped yourself down like you wondered what I was waiting for. "Let's go!" you seemed to say impatiently.

You were a beautiful long haired dilute calico, but coming into the room I had my heart set on a brown tabby, and there was Cricket. The lady loved him and thought he was the best, so I agreed to take him and wondered which of the others would get along with him. "Ellie," she said, and so you both came home with me that night.

As soon as you entered my house, the sneezing began. Not me...you! :) I called the lady and asked about it. She said she hadn't noticed it before, but with so many cats how could she have? I wondered if that's why someone had given you up, because testing at the vet showed that you were allergic to many things. Dust, feathers, wool, mice, various plants and trees and flowers, chicken, veal, beef, fish...what on earth??

And so I began giving you the pills and monthly injections and buying you the very expensive prescription cat food. You were such a good girl...never even noticed the needle when I gave you your shot.

At first, Cricket stayed up all night and was asleep when I got up in the morning, but you slept all night and got up with me, so I started calling you my "morning girl". :) But then you both settled into a routine where you slept at night with me in the bed. You liked to lay up against me on my arm which I then wrapped around you, holding you close like a teddy bear. Or else you were sleeping on the pillow above my head, much like a furry winter hat. :) Then in the morning sometimes you would sit on my chest and knead your paws against my neck, to which I would thank you for the "neck massage".

You were always a little more aloof than Cricket, so people tended to like him more usually, but how could they resist your beautiful face? Those big, round green eyes and that tiny nose. You were so soft and smelled so clean. And such a high pitched little meow. But make no mistake. You ruled the place. When visitor kitties (or raccoons!) looked in the patio window, you rushed them and scared them away...then usually turned on Cricket since you couldn't get the ones outside! :lol:

I'm so sorry, little girl....Ellie...Ellie Belle....Miss Ellie....that I gave up in the end. :( I think you were tired tho. I think it was time to stop the tests and the fear and the pain. I know you are happy now, even tho I am so sad without you. I would so much love to hold you and feel your soft fur again. I'm so sorry that I wasn't with you, but I know Dr. Sue and Heather took good care of you. They loved you too.

It's easier every day now, but that's because your memory is fading. I hate that. The absence of you in the house weighs on me, but it hurts so much to think about you and miss you. You will always live on in my heart.

See you later, Ellie-gator. :(

9. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Aww this just made me cry, Smokey :(

Miss Ellie really was a special kittie :) I know it was very hard to let her go and live on now that she is gone :( But I'm sure she is very thankful for everything you did for her :)

I was very lonely after my Juri passed away and I wasn't able to replace him either... but then this two little guys found their way into my heart :)

I enjoy every day with them, even though they love chewing on my plants, climb on the curtains, chew on cables, use my couch as a scratching post and climb my legs :)

Now after having them here two weeks I start to know how they tick...

Teddy is more the cutie and the sensible one and George is my little rambo kittie :lol:

I wish my internet would work better today... I wanted to upload my new pics of them :(

10. Smokey

:) Thanks, Stef! And I'm glad you are enjoying Teddy and George so much. Kittens do liven up a house, that's for sure! :lol:

11. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

12. Smokey

Those are beautiful cats, ladybronco! :) Eddie looks like a wild cat when he's out prowling. And is Angus Maine Coon or partial?

13. Ladybronco

Ladybronco Pathologist

Thanks Smokey!

Eddie is my main dude, we've been together 12 years and have the greatest relationship. I got him as a baby kitten, along with his sister, from a girl in front of the grocery store. It was the year our Denver Broncos won their back to back Super Bowls, so I named him after my all time favorite player, Ed McCaffrey, only my Eddie's last name is McCatffry :lol:

Peaches, his sister, was an orange tabby, and had one litter of kittens (not with Eddie :wtf:) before we could get her spayed, and to this day we have a couple wild momma cats outside that are basically distant descendants of Peaches. My husband calls them Yard Lions because they keep the rodents and snakes away. Whenever they have kittens, I trap them and find them homes. About 10 years ago I gave Peaches to some close friends who were heartbroken after losing a cat.

Angus is one of a litter that one of the momma cats had, and I fell in love with him and kept him. Callie too, although she is one year younger. Because they were wild and I gentled them, they are only really bonded with me. They will hide whenever company comes over, unlike Eddie, who is a real people cat. Angus is named after one of my favorite musicians, Angus Young from AC/DC and Callie was named because she is a diluted calico (I know, not very original :lol:).

Now that you mention it, I can see that Angus bears a definite resemblance to a Maine Coon. That's a beautiful breed! Angus is moderately long haired, although it lays very flat, rather than poofy, and he has a very plumy tail, which he carries curled over at the tip. Eddie is pretty short haired and Callie is almost slick in comparison to Angus.

Some more pics:

Angus & Eddie

Eddie
    Callie & Eddie looking out the upstairs window
    Angus and a box
    Eddie
    Eddie at sunrise again

14. Smokey

Ah yes...I can see now in the other pics that maybe Angus is not Maine Coon, but boy he's handsome! And Eddie has such huge feet! :lol: I love it!

Snow Kitty has pretty big feet too, and he has long fur coming out from between his toes and paw pads on the bottoms of his feet. :lol:

15. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

My puppy got out with the electric man this morning and I had to chase her down the road both ways, around cars, and thru thick mud which she decided she'd lay in! After 25 minutes a lady came by walking her dog and was able to grab Belle and hold her for me. Belle was covered in thick mud and immediately got a bath. She'll be spending most of the day in the crate. Ugh! Not a good way to start my morning!