The Fan Art Forum Guide - Rules/Tuts./Questions *updated 10-05

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by cofi_shot, Oct 1, 2006.

1. darx2mint4

darx2mint4 CSI Level One

Re: The Fan Art Forum Guide

Question..since CBS is allowing viewers to make clips of shows and make fan videos out of them...are we allowed to post them on here? :)

2. Nim

Nim Pathologist

I'm not the one who can say this, but I think it's not a problem of CBS, but of UGO, which host this board.
    But I'm not sure...

3. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

Reading the article I think that CBS are allowing clips to be used, but they would have to come from the legitimate source as it looks like they are doing a trial with another company to provide the clips, otherwise the videos people are potentially producing (like they are at the moment) would still be infringing copyright and CBS wouldn't get any money for the clips used.

As CBS say, they are 'tolerant' to fan videos, but I still doubt that you can post them here. Just my opinion and interpretation of the press release though. I'm sure there will be official confirmation soon. :)

4. cofi_shot

cofi_shot Captain

Nope. Not yet at least. CBS hasn't really explicitly said what we can or cannot do. Their plans aren't finalized yet. Perhaps more importantly, the board itself hasn't made an announcement on the issue. So for now we shall stick to the current rules, that is, no posting of videos. ;)

PM me for questions, or take it to the QSF forum.

5. darx2mint4

darx2mint4 CSI Level One

Ok, Thanks :)

6. sissi59100

sissi59100 CSI Level Three

Since i didn't tell you that earlier cofi, i just wanna say that your FA forum guide is absolutely awesome! clear and really helpfull :D REALLY GOOD JOB gurl :D

7. cofi_shot

cofi_shot Captain

Thanks sissi! :D

I've updated some links. The following challenges are open for voting: Icon Challenge - All 3 CSIs and Icon Challenge - Non-CSI.

8. csimonkey

csimonkey Police Officer

wondering if anyone can help me?
    how do you get the textures that some of you put on your wallpapers and stuff? like making it look ripped or worn?

9. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

csimonkey, I get most of my textures from Livejournal communities.

You could try looking through the posts at this community , and download any that you like. I don't know of any particular ones that look like ripped or torn effects, but hopefully you can find something useful. :)

eta: I just noticed you said wallpapers, and most of these are icon sized, but often people post some bigger ones too.

10. CSI_Dani

CSI_Dani CSI Level Two

This may sound ridiculous, but how do you textures?! How can you add them to your textures list using for example GIMP? Thanks in advance.

11. ModernDayDrifter

ModernDayDrifter Lab Technician

hi iv got a huge question I just bought a photoshop program 10 its by adobe and im having trouble figuring out the simplest things on it so if any1 has got this same program can ya tell me its capablities and how to use them.

12. ilh214

ilh214 Pathologist

howdy. :) i have a slight problem. i've made some animated icons but they are too big, how do i fix that?

13. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

ilh214, I don't know what program you use, but here is a way to do in in imageready, I'm sure other people do it differently, and the quality is always slightly reduced. :(

In the window where you can see your icon, choose 'optimized' and '2-up', that way you will be able to see the difference in quality between your original and optimized. Then from the menu on the right (which is called 'optimize' if you need to open it from your window drop down menu), click on the small arrow at the side of it (under the red cross), choose 'optimize to file size' and then you can choose the size and it changes the icon file size to below the size you chose. See screenshot below:

[​IMG]

Then when saving the icon, make sure you select 'save optimized as'.

14. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

Hey I have a really dumb question. I have PS7 and in the window section where it has plug-ins it shows a list of things. One of them is filmstrips but can't pull it up. All it does is give a short info on it. Is there anyway to pull it up to be used? Thanks.

15. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

As promised and as requested by a couple of you, it's not great but I hope it'll do. :lol:

A mini-movie icon tutorial, by a beginner, for other beginners..

[​IMG]

Find it here!