The Closer

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by Destiny, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

There's something about Mary~ The 'bitch' is back~ Mary McDonnell helps bring S/5 to a close when she returns as the captain of the universally despised Force Investigation Division, Sharon Raydor-aka the thorn in Brenda's side. "She swallows her pride and goes to Brenda [Kyra Sedgwick] for help because one of her female officers is hurt", explains McDonnell. "Raydor actually needs Brenda's style, the thing that normally drives her nuts-which puts Raydor in a funny, awkward position" Even though she's showing her vulnerable side, don't expect Raydor to win sympathy of Brenda and the boys. "Raydor and Brenda are really good examples of no being comfortable with another woman who's in you face and doesn't agree with you", says McDonnell. "To be able to get past that would take something very big"[may we suggest trapping them in a closet together?] Despite these differences, McDonnell says she's open to returning to the series. I'm fascinated by her, she doesn't give a flying you know what about what anybody thinks, that's why I love her, and I love being in conflict with such a beloved character. And it's really easy for us to assume all that tension, because as actresses we have great trust-and that's a beautiful thing"

Megan Walsh-Boyle TV Guide writer Issue- Dec. 21-Jan 3~

And Kyra was nominated for a Golden Globe~

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  2. Desertwind

This was riveting, and we don't get to see anymore till next summer:( Brenda and Fritz and him acting all werid and distant, and the 'kitty' Joel her kissing him. But, Raydor what a b..ch. She's impossible to please. One of her staff police officers Ali, was [she though] beaten and abused by her husband. She asked Brenda's boss to look into it, but be discreet. so, Brenda was, questioning her about the bruises all over her body. come to finds out she had done it to herself, and had her lover Sgt. Dunn help her coverup the brutal shooting of said husband. Her boss was ansty and nasty and saying she could have done a better job. However, she did find out about the lies and it was all for of course $$$$$. Raydor and Brenda can't hardly stand each other. The last scene they agreed that 'they don't like each other" And come to find out Fritz has been offered a promotion in D.C. and he was afraid she'd not want to move there with him. The last scene she made it very clear, as they went for the bedroom what was important and what wasn't;) Very good episode.~

3. Desertwind

Well isn't this a revolting development, last night I saw the preview for "Brothers & Sisters", and guess who showed up at Sally Fields door as her old lover? Jon Tenny, Fritz on "The Closer" so apparently Brenda and him broke up, who knows why. Maybe she didn't want to go to D.C. or he'd had enough of her shenanigans. I thought they were so perfect together, like didn't they know the viewers would notice? So we have to wait to see what happened:( bummer

4. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Jon Tenny is guest starring on B&S as Dr. Simon Craig Been on there for several episodes. - More likely then not his character on the closer is limited so he [Jon] can guest star on other shows, not to mention that the show films so many eps for the first half and later so many for the next half, therefore allowing the cast to do other things. He started guest starring on B&S on 11/8/09 - 1-10-10.

5. Desertwind

Thank's Destiny, boy you're full of info.:bolian: the thing I don't get is, doesn't Fritz work for the FBI in L.A.? and what is he doing going to visit another woman? where is this series filmed? and would Brenda be happy with this 'visit'?

6. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

There are people that have worked in more than one series at the same time. For example: Victoria Rowell starred in Diagnosis Murder for eight years and still worked at The Young and the Restless for 17 years. During LeVar Burton's seven years on Star Trek: The Next Generation, he still found time to tape Reading Rainbow (without the visor), which he did for 18 years.

7. Destiny

You're welcome, and thank you, but to help clear up your confusion a bit further...

Fritz is a character on the closer, who is played by Jon Tenny, in brothers and sisters Jon Tenny played Dr. Simon Craig. Basically the character on "the closer" [Fritz] has nothing to do with the series "Brothers & Sisters".

Actors as Dynamo1 pointed out do more then one series at a time, in this case unless he does anymore eps, he was only in "brothers and sisters" for four episodes.

Some shows like "The closer", "Durham County", "Flashpoint", "Monk (when it was still on the air)" etc. may only film (depending on the amount of eps ordered) half of them which is what you would be watching now, then later film the second half (example they may film them in say January to be seen in say June, and then film the second half in June to be seen in decembers) This allows the stars to participate in other projects, inbetween, or whatever they want to do.

So in this case Fritz and Brenda have nothing to do with "Brothers & Sisters" it's just the fact that the actor who plays Fritz opted to do another project inbetween filming the closer.

8. Desertwind

OK I get it, he's an entirley different person, right? but the thing about that, is won't the fans who watch "The Closer" be confused more than I am? It's cool that he's able to stretch his acting talents, but that's a far stretch for me, but thank's for the explantion;)

9. Destiny

Considering that Jon's role unless goes further then four eps on "Brothers and sisters" doesn't need a spoiler tag, especially since were not discussing particulars about the eps that would be a spoiler.

Nope I don't think so, it would be no different then if William Petersen was still on CSI or if Thomas Gibson (who is still on Criminal minds) made 4 guest spots on another show.

Alot of actors do this, take flashpoint's "Hugh Dillon" he is a co star on that show and yet the star on "Durham county" (both shows film the same as the closer).

Jon Tenny's role on the closer isn't a high major one (like Kyra, JK, Corey, Robert, GW, Anthony, Michael, etc), he is a low star on the pole (meaning he isn't considered a "guest star" or a "re-occuring character" so much), and that allows him to do other projects, while not filming the "closer"

Besides I think the audience can tell the difference, when you saw Brothers and sisters did you hear his characters name? or did you just assumed that he was bringing his character over from the closer? I would bet pretty much that they [the audience] either looked up to see what his characters name or they watched the eps and found out.

Alot of actors also do this to avoid the dreaded "type casting" where they are thought of only being able to play one set role (comedy but not drama, drama but not comedy, etc), it is more helpful in their careers.

10. Desertwind

:lol:eek:n the William Petersen one. I guess your correct, I have seen mega CSI, people on other shows, that were guests on CSI. At least their still getting paychecks:thumbsup: I don't watch "B&S" although I love Sally, just not the show. I just see Fritz as Brenda's husband, and was surprised to see him on the other show~

11. Destiny

Not really a spoiler, so I am leaving it without a tag.

'Closer' scoop: Mary McDonnell returning for big arc

Bad news for Brenda is good news for fans of The Closer: Mary McDonnell is returning for the show’s upcoming sixth season.

Sources confirm to me exclusively that the ex-Battlestar Galactica prez will reprise her role as Captain Sharon Raydor, the by-the-book head of the Force Investigation Division whose occasional clashes with Brenda were a highlight of season 5, in a minimum of five episodes.

Per a Closer insider, Raydor will “create situations that come between Brenda and Pope.”

The Closer’s sixth season is slated to premiere in July.

12. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I've never been a loyal follower of The Closer but I watch it from time to time and do think it's a really good show. But since Mary McDonnell started guest staring I just HAVE to watch the show cause I just love her :) (check out sig below ;)). I am really excited that she is coming back and I will be watching. I actually came in the thread to see if there were news of Mary coming back. Thanks for the news Destiny :thumbsup:.

13. Desertwind

I looked for the old thread, and couldn't find it, so I started a new one. If it's there, [and I went all the way back to last year] I sure didn't find it:(This is from the new TV Guide dated June 7-20~

"Attraction is the force that guides our lives", says creator James Duff, and that's the theme the hit procedural explores in Season 6. For Brenda [Kyra Sedgwick] and her husband [Jon Tenney], that means plenty of drama in their marriage. Duff also reveals that Lt. Provenza [G.W. Bailey] and Flynn [Tony Denison] will enter into surprising relationships with two flight attendants, while Sanchez [Raymond Cruz] will become interested in a woman for poignant reasons. Says Duff with a laugh, "The sexual energy on the show is going up"

14. Dynamo1

Dynamo1 Head of the Swing Shift

The Closer thread started in June 2005 was last posted in back in March of this year.

15. Destiny

Merged, there was no harm done.

Here is some advice for someone/anyone. Sometimes with the search you can come up empty, by one letter off or just in general, then also if your unsure if you try the characters name or actor/actresses name, that might also yield results.