Survivor? We Call It Camping ~ Canadian Thread #5

LibertyBell and everyone thanks for the congrats :)

So did everyone have a good long weekend :)

Did you hear about the driver from the Barrie area that was that was clocked at 239km/h in an 80 zone. He gets the pleasure of having his license suspended for 7 days as well as the car he was driving impounded. I would love to hear what he said to his parents.

teen charged with going 239km/h

Did you hear about the driver from the Barrie area that was that was clocked at 239km/h in an 80 zone. He gets the pleasure of having his license suspended for 7 days as well as the car he was driving impounded. I would love to hear what he said to his parents.

teen charged with going 239km/h

yep, heard that on the radio while waiting an hour and 40 minutes to cross the bluewater bridge on monday :lol: i didnt know cars could go that fast, thought the numbers were on the dial just for show

Allmaple, are you taking the extra course on top on graduating, or did you move your graduation back?

yep its on top of graduating. it was a prereq for a vet school i applied to (and got accepted to!!) but didnt have. because who takes organic chemistry if they dont have to?? i looked at the graduation schedule, and i thought our time would only be bio sci majors, or a few other majors, but it is all of the college of biological sciences! :eek: thats going to be a lot of people, its gonna take forever. i hope we go early and can sneak out the back door :lol: if everyone can bring 3 people how the hell are they going to fit everyone in the gryphon dome?? its not that big...

Did you hear or see our favourite coffee and donut shop is at it again. Tim Hortons has scolded a woman for buying a homeless woman breakfast and left said woman with the meal in the restaurant to eat it.

Tim Hortons in new PR Jam

I'm sure Country Style, Second Cup and Starbucks are enjoying the mess Timmy's is getting themselves into. First we haveone of their restaurants kicking out high school kids, then firing a staff member for giving a crying child a TimBit and now this. What will they do next to have bad press piled on top of this mess.

whatever happened to canadians being nice and polite?? seriously, she was eating food from the store that had been paid for. who the hell cares if she was the one who paid for it or not?? and the 'who will clean up her mess?', thats what you are hired to do smartass. maybe timmies doesnt have the greatest screening process prior to hiring employees... :rolleyes:

well, today was a sad sad day in canadian television. it was the last episode of cityline with merylin dennis as host :( apparently ctv has purchased citytv and are moving merylin to a daytime talk show on ctv and leaving cityline on citytv with some other host yet to be determined. what made cityline great was merylin interacting with all the guests and experts. they should have left her there or moved all of cityline to ctv :( stupid corporate takeovers...

I've never watched City Line but understand it was a very popular show. CTV bought Chum over a year ago and finally started to realign things this past winter. Unfortunately for City Line fans CityTV was not part of the deal which is why Marylin Denis had to leave the show :( I like listening to Roger, Rick and Marylin in the morning. One of if not the best morning shows in radio in the Toronto area :) I'm sure CTV will get Marylin a new show soon.

i looked at the graduation schedule, and i thought our time would only be bio sci majors, or a few other majors, but it is all of the college of biological sciences

ah hell :lol: I don't really know many people in science, so I will be standing around waiting among everyone else talking to each other. I am tempted to bring my ipod and just watch some CSI NY while i wait!

The whole timmies thing, well it might not be tim hortons. Don't forget they are franchised (i am pretty sure...), so each location will be under different management. Pretty crappy stuff happening, but since we are all addicted to their stuff, it probably won't matter any way.

heh, i dont even have an ipod to keep myself entertained :lol: i swear i am the only 20-something out there without a portable media player of some kind and a cell phone :guffaw: i just love when my friends have $200+ cell phone bills and i have none. so...i will be the person sitting in the corner watching the clock or something.

heh, i dont even have an ipod to keep myself entertained :lol: i swear i am the only 20-something out there without a portable media player of some kind and a cell phone :guffaw: i just love when my friends have $200+ cell phone bills and i have none. so...i will be the person sitting in the corner watching the clock or something.

You could always borrow Nick and keep yourself otherwise occupied. Oh wait wrong thread here :devil: :guffaw:

And I think it's a smart move not to have a cell phone. If people really want you they will call you at home. I have one for store business only. I may only get one call on it per week but our staff do need to be able to get in touch with us when we're not at home. I'm amazed at the number of people that come in with blackberrys and other gadgets that actually has a file in it for the dog food. They can't even remember what food to buy without help from a phone :eek:

You could always borrow Nick and keep yourself otherwise occupied. Oh wait wrong thread here :devil: :guffaw:

ah but i dont think i could do that in public :devil:

i really dont get the cell phone thing. especially some of the conversations you hear people having while walking around, they are actually talking about nothing. or people texting in lecture :wtf: no thanks, i will phone you when i get home and save hundreds of dollars a year. i do take my parents phone when i either drive or take the train back and forth to guelph. since the train is hardly ever on time i phone when it is outside of london so they arent waiting in the station for a long time. we need to get those magnet trains they have in europe and japan, they are always on time!

Well, I was one of the last teens in my school to get a cell phone, but I'm glad I did because I kept ending up in situations where I needed to get in touch with my parents and couldn't. You should always have a phone for emergencies. But yeah, there are some kids who are surgically attached to their phones. I don't understand it. People will be texting during class, or on breaks at work I'll see people calling their friends. I think one of my coworkers said it best, "There is no one I need to talk to that badly." :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, wow, Tim's just wants to keep digging that hole, don't they? Their PR people must be enjoying their jobs right now. From what I've heard though, Tim's doesn't treat their employees very well, so I guess it's not too much of a stretch for them to treat their customers poorly too. It's too bad. Tim's is the pride and joy of Canada; not a good impression to be making.

LibertyBell said:
But yeah, there are some kids who are surgically attached to their phones. I don't understand it. People will be texting during class, or on breaks at work I'll see people calling their friends.

What's worse is I invite people to go to a movie with me and they spend the whole time texting their SO or someone 'more important'. :rolleyes: Good grief. If I want to talk to someone, I call them and I do it at an appropriate time.

^ Agreed about Timmy's. In my city, they were trying to get staff so badly that they were handing out free Ipods. I applied at Blockbuster a couple weeks ago and I didn't get any calls and now I see Blockbuster has a 'join our team! we're hiring!' sign. Happens almost every time I apply somewhere. :lol: And it's been happening to my friends as well. I think only two of them have gotten a relatively good job that wasn't sexist, racist, gunning-for-free-labour fanatics.

I even applied at a place that had a hiring sign and 6 months later, they still have that hiring sign up. I'm either just not a good potential employee with these people (despite good references, 7 years volunteer work, other work experience, highschool, soon-to-be-post secondary) or these places want to hire their 'buddies'--which a lot of times is the case where I am. And it's not like it's a place where you need a degree in something, it's silly little retail stores.

And then my favourite thing to hear from employers of small companies: "What? minimum wage went up? Since when? It's $6.00 and hour, right?" No, no it's not. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I even applied at a place that had a hiring sign and 6 months later, they still have that hiring sign up. I'm either just not a good potential employee with these people (despite good references, 7 years volunteer work, other work experience, highschool, soon-to-be-post secondary) or these places want to hire their 'buddies'

ive had a lot of trouble getting summer jobs. last year i didnt have one, so i volunteered. this year my one class is at a really stupid time so there arent many places i could work. i can still get a few hours a week at the performance theater i worked at during the school year.

last year i applied to a kennel as an 'animal care attendant', thought i was a shoo-in because i had two years volunteering with the universities dogs. but nope, they never called. and several weeks later they still had an ad online. i applied again this year (as was a paid dog walker at the university so i figured that would look better) but nope, nothing. they obviously want a student, they advertised last year on the student only section of the federal job bank and this year on the university of westerns job site. so i have no idea why they never contacted me. *shrugs*

and next summer i will be coming back to canada a month after every other student gets off!! plus i will be out of the country, so job hunting is going to be super difficult :(

I know, finding a part time job here is ridiculous. It's always taken me months after I apply somewhere before they call me. Most often I just get doors slammed in my face, and like you guys have said, they'll still have their ads up a few months later. But at my first job it took them two months to contact me after I dropped off my resume, and at my current job, it took them...at least five months. I had totally forgotten about both of these places by the time they contacted me. And surprise surprise, ever since I'd applied there I had continued to have doors slammed in my face. I'm just damn lucky I didn't have rent to worry about. It frustrates me so much how so many people get their jobs through connections. One of my best friends recently quit her job that she got by herself, and she really needs the money because she's moving out on her own soon. But apparently so-and-so is getting her a job here, and another person said they'd talk to their manager....everytime that happens I have to resist the urge to respond. 'Cause what I really wanna say to that....we probably wouldn't be friends anymore after I did.

What ever happened to good old fashioned hard work?

What ever happened to good old fashioned hard work?

Some people are just too lazy to find jobs on their own. When we put up postings for jobs in our store we are always leery of applicants when the parents find the jobs for their kids. These types of applicants we have found do not work out. They have no respect for the jobs because mom or dad want them to work. So why should they work at them.

^ And it's a wonder to me how some of these kids do get in. There's no work ethic anymore. I used to work at a store where pretty much all the staff was under 18, they had piercings, weird hair colour and rolled their eyes at the customers. And I was singled out as weird.

I have to admit though, I got my first job because my parents wanted me to work and my sister already worked at the store. :lol: I know, it's terrible but that's just how the world seems to rotate these days. I guess the only difference is, I actually wanted to do the job I was handed, gain experience and learn from others.

What gets me though is there are some good kids out there who need a job for whatever reason and this is potentially their first job and they get the door shut in their faces because 'they need more experience'. Well, it's kind of a catch 22 because in order to get the experience, they need a job in the first place. I suppose volunteer work/extra-school-activities helps though.

Back