Spetzli in Oktober(fest) <> German thread

Hello!

Well, I'm born in East Germany and raised there but since 1 year and a half I live in England. One big thing that I miss is the German food and drinks. And those "Weihnachtsmarkt" are amazing [I can't wait to go on one in 2 weeks time]. Christmas is amazing in Germany with all that traditions, I never want to miss Christmas in Germany. I will be in Germany from the 21st December till the 11th Janaury and I'm going to enjoy the Germany food and add some pounds more to my weight. LOL

Hey adolero, your spelling is not bad at all. Apart from it being a B(capital letter)issch(you just forgot the h)en, your English is really good. :)

I´ve got to say I´m also not the christmas-fan, I was when I was younger, anymore. I gotta explain for me christmas tastes a little for pretence. Maybe this is, because my believe (in god) is not as strict.

In addition to that this christmas I´m in something like chrisis, drifting from mood to mood. Yet I´ll try to be no to big "Spielverderber" towards my fellows.

Maybe someone can help me out and tell me is there an expression for "Spielverderber" in English?
(I´m native-german, but I can´t think of anything just now.)

I'm not exactly sure what "Spielverderber" is in english. maybe you could say "to be a bad sport" or "to be a spoil-sport" (looked that up ;) )

This year we won't buy presents. Every years it's the same, you just buy some stuff because you think you have to but nobody really needs or wants it. When I was younger it was easier for the others to find good presents but now I never know what I want and the others don't know it either. So this year will be without presents. Maybe we'll even go to the "Christmette" around midnight, I think that could be kinda cool. I have never been to church at christmas before.

This year we celebrate christmas at my home, usually we went to my grandparents' on the 24th. We sit around, listen to christmas songs and have a delicious dinner with "Pute" *yummy*

Thankies cath, for looking that up. ;)

So, "Spielverderber" means you´re a bad-sport (and play with unfair means often).

Gosh - I also still wonder what the heck I could buy as presents this year. Nevertheless I simply think, I expect presents on holly-eve, so I´ll think of nice things in return. :)

I have been in church at christmas for a long time - but never at midnight at the so called "christmette". Luckily my mother suggests to visit a "christmette" year by year. Maybe she takes me with her some time.

If I expected gifts I would of course buy presents for my family. But as I never know anything they could give me and don't want to say "just buy me something" we'll try christmas eve without gifts. Christmas shouldn't be all about the presents but about being together with the ones you love. So I can live without those presents :) And as my birthday was a few days ago I already had the opportunity to get what I want ;)

Are there any "special german" christmas customs? I can't think of any right now...Well we celebrate christmas the evening of the 24th and people in the USA for example do it the morning of the 25th. But that isn't a real german custom I would say. So anybody know anything else?

I see. So belated happy-birthday wishes to you.

German christmas customs? Good question. Hmmm... maybe children have to sing a song or say a poem. And then they are allowed to open their gifts as a reward.

You think this is typically German?

maybe children have to sing a song or say a poem. And then they are allowed to open their gifts as a reward.

You think this is typically German?
We've never done that so I would say no :lol: Maybe it was just us and other german families really do that.
We alsways had to wait in a room and then my grandma would ring a little bell and then we were allowed to go into the living room where the tree was and all the gifts.

cathwillows said:
You think this is typically German? We've never done that so I would say no :lol: Maybe it was just us and other german families really do that.
We alsways had to wait in a room and then my grandma would ring a little bell and then we were allowed to go into the living room where the tree was and all the gifts.

Same here! My brother and I never had to say a poem or sing a song. I nerver wanted to. I didn't like it! :lol:
But we also ad to wait, usually, in my room for my mum to ring the bell. Then we were allowed to jump in and get the presents. But I always spied through the door. The door of the living room was made of milk glass, so you actually could see the silhouettes of the persons inside and it never looked like the 'christkind'. That was weird! ^^ :D

My mum is totally crazy about the decoration. You know the movie 'Christmas vacation' (in german Schöne Bescherung) about the Grisworld family?
My mum is almost as crazy as Clark with his 25.000 lights stucked on the roof. :lol:

Nope I don't think he does. But isn't it the "Christkind" that comes on christmas-eve and not Santa? I'm not sure...but then, I'm really not the right person to ask about german christmas customs. :lol:

What about german christmas songs? I like "Stille Nacht, Heilige Nacht" (silent night, holy night)

OMG yeah, Christmas Vacation!!! Love the movie. it was on TV yesterday :D Well my mom isn't that crazy about the decoration...but she's close :p

I remember that when I was a kid we're always told that both 'Christkind' and Santa are coming..(to town :D ) in christmas eve. It was a bit confusing. And then we had Nikolaus coming on dec. 6.

I'm not very used to german christmas songs. I never liked them very much. I'm more into the english ones (Rocking around the christmas tree, white christmas etc). The english ones are nice, the german ones are boring. ^^ ...well, I think they are. :D I can't think of a great german christmas song. ^^

yeah I'm more a fan of english christmas songs myself. White Christmas or Last Christmas are classics! But I also like Sarah Connor's christmas song which is played in the Coca Cola commercial (can't think of the name atm).
And I love, love, LOVE the theme song from Christmas Vacation! My favorite part of it is "hip hip hurray for christmas vacation" :lol: don't know why but that sort of cracks me up :rolleyes:

cathwillows said:
But I also like Sarah Connor's christmas song which is played in the Coca Cola commercial (can't think of the name atm).

I don't like that song very much! In my opinion the only true song for Coca Cola is Melanie Thornton's 'Wonderful Dream'. That's so much better than Sarah Connor's song. I couldn't believe they've changed the song! I was shocked! :eek:
I want the original song back! :(

And I can't stand Last Christmas anymore. It's annoying me over and over again every year. :rolleyes: :D

So, anyone around who likes "Let it snow"?

I like both Coke-commercials, maybe also the one from Melanie Thornton a little better.

Of course I like Melanie Thornton's song better!!! It's THE coca cola song. And when they changed it I was like "what the heck?!" But now I also like the new song.

"Let it snow" is okay, but I also don't mind "Walking in a Winterwonderland" :rolleyes: :lol:

Anyone's gonna watch "2007: Menschen, Bilder, Emotionen" tonight? I always like to remember what happened during the year.

Back