Speed/Rory Cochrane Reality Check?

MiamiDade

Pathologist
I'm still fairly new here and haven't posted much, but I do read alot more than I post!

Before I go any further, I want to make it clear that I loved Speed and I still miss him, though I am happy with the cast as it is now.

This isn't a complaint as such, but does anyone else feel that it's about time us Speed fans accepted that it was Rory's decision to leave the show? Some have accepted it I know. Earlier, I think it was in the Speed Therapy Thread, it was implied that Rory was forced off the show. That is just so wrong! CSI Files featured an interview with Rory back in September 2004 and he clearly states that he couldn't take the daily grind of a tv show anymore. He missed his friends and family in NY, and wanted to get back to movies again.

Secondly, why should the writers have given Speed a heroic death? I keep reading posts that blame the writers for his lame demise ie. just getting shot because of poor gun maintenance. He wanted out, so the writers, in my opinion, had every right to write him out however they wanted to. In a way, he let them down by asking to be released from his contract early, so I wouldn't expect them to send him off in a blaze of glory through any sense of loyalty.

Finally, it is possible to like Ryan and Speed! I know some do. In the main Speed thread, there was a discussion about 'strangling'/'kicking' someone (not anyone on the board I hasten to add!) because they didn't like Speed, but preferred Ryan. Isn't that just a little over the top? I know it was said as a joke, but shouldn't we just grow up a little? That goes too for disliking Ryan simply because he joined the cast just after Speed left. He did not replace Speed! Please can we just accept that fact! It's fair enough to dislike Ryan as a character, but not in relation to him 'replacing' Speed.

The reason I posted this in a new thread is because I felt that if I posted it in one of the Speed threads, I would be shot down in a ball of flames. I like visiting those threads to look at the pics and read about Rory's movies, but at times I think those threads are spoiled by unnecessary comments like the ones I've referred to. I hope some of you can at least understand what I'm trying to put across. I don't wish to offend anyone, I just wanted to express my opinion and get it off my chest. No hard feelings. ;)

I'm just gonna state first of all that the following are my opinions alone.

This isn't a complaint as such, but does anyone else feel that it's about time us Speed fans accepted that it was Rory's decision to leave the show? Some have accepted it I know.

I, personally, accept and respect Rory's decision to leave the show, it's his life and he needs to do what he feels is best for him. Am I happy that he's no longer on the show? Of course not, but again, I respect his decision.

CSI Files featured an interview with Rory back in September 2004 and he clearly states that he couldn't take the daily grind of a tv show anymore. He missed his friends and family in NY, and wanted to get back to movies again.

And a very excellent article it is. Thank you for bringing that up. :) I meant to post the link in the therapy thread, but as is my usual way, I forgot. lol, I have a terrible memory. So, I'll post it now for those who are new to the board who haven't yet read it.

CSI Files - Rory Cochrane Interview

Secondly, why should the writers have given Speed a heroic death? I keep reading posts that blame the writers for his lame demise ie. just getting shot because of poor gun maintenance. He wanted out, so the writers, in my opinion, had every right to write him out however they wanted to. In a way, he let them down by asking to be released from his contract early, so I wouldn't expect them to send him off in a blaze of glory through any sense of loyalty.

Here, I'm gonna respectfully disagree with you somewhat. ;) I do agree that it was the writers decision on how to write the character out of the show, but to me, to have it come down to poor gun maintenance was, well, lame. I know 'lame' is the word Rory used to describe it in the interview, but I think the word fits. I think a show of 'Miami's' caliber could've done alot better, again, just my opinion.

Finally, it is possible to like Ryan and Speed! I know some do.

:lol: Yes, thank you...it is possible, I happen to like them both. :cool:

The reason I posted this in a new thread is because I felt that if I posted it in one of the Speed threads, I would be shot down in a ball of flames. I like visiting those threads to look at the pics and read about Rory's movies, but at times I think those threads are spoiled by unnecessary comments like the ones I've referred to. I hope some of you can at least understand what I'm trying to put across. I don't wish to offend anyone, I just wanted to express my opinion and get it off my chest. No hard feelings.

I'm glad you like the pics we post in the Speed threads, please feel free to discuss Speed, Rory, and his movies with us, we love having as many Speed fans as possible posting in those threads. ;) Speaking for myself, you have not offended me at all, I respect your opinion, which was very well written by the way. :D

I'm not going to add my opinion as much as I would like to in light of not offending anyone, but I sorely disagree with quite a few things that Miamidade mentioned. I do admit I am a Speed/Rory fan, but there are just some things I can not agree to. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that so much here.

I agree with you on the whole Ryan topic, I mean I'm not the biggest Speed fan but I liked him a little but I love Ryan and I have no problem liking both of them. Sure everyone can have your own opinions about Ryan but sheesh you dont have to hate him because of the whole replacing Speed anything Speed related. It's just a show, and a good one at that I will add. ;)

I too respect Rory's decision of leaving, however, I don't like that they killed him off. I don't like that in any show. I rather have them leave to go somewhere else or because of a personal matter but hey this is just my opinion.

I'm not going to add my opinion as much as I would like to in light of not offending anyone, but I sorely disagree with quite a few things that Miamidade mentioned. I do admit I am a Speed/Rory fan, but there are just some things I can not agree to. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect that so much here.

So and I.

I do not believe concerning interview the explanatory reason.
The television station will not let him speak out the truthful story.
In fact, I nearby of the fan all does not believe..
Let Speed die, is for the sake of viewer rating,CBS is very snobbery and reality,they employ Speed,I hate it.

I do not like the Ryan,is just because of his character, and he does not respect the cause of the Speed..I do not mind any new role,be not aim at the new role.

I respect the right of each fan speech.Opposite, we also have the right of remembering fondly the speed.
Please not to request us to stop to think of him..

He is the reason that I love the show.

I too respect Rory's decision of leaving, however, I don't like that they killed him off. I don't like that in any show. I rather have them leave to go somewhere else or because of a personal matter but hey this is just my opinion.

Me too. :mad:

:(

Great post MiamiDade and I agree with you.
I've been watching lot of season 2 episodes, since they are airing those here right now. Speed was great character on its own way, I was mostly disliking his grumpyness but he was good at what he did. And had some priceless scenes.

But Miami is starting new season... they cannot go back again and again to Speed. If they mention it now and then, it's ok, but hoping they'd do it less than season 3, when it was still understandable (I liked that they brought Cookie back, it was kinda sweet).

Ryan has bad moments, but so does all characters when you want to grrr at those.
Time to move on. Those who are Speedfans, it's ok. Be fans, he was a great character. But you have to move on, he is not in the show anymore. Would be really frustrating if they'd bring Speed back to convos and all... especially for Ryan it would be annoying. To be a new guy and all they do is talk about Speed.

I'm not forcing anyone to liek Ryan, if you disliek charcter, you dislike it. Cannot do anything about it. Just like I dislike Eric.

If you cannot move on, stay in Speed convos, but it's frustrating to hear episode after episode "oh why they didn't mention Speed" or if they do then its "why he was mentioned in such a negative way"

Rory wanted to leave, he isn't the first actor who cannot take heavy filming of a tv show. VF is doing same with CSI: NY, Sherry Stringfield left ER back in old days for the same reason.

Posted by kimberiea:He is the reason that I love the show.

So why do you watch the show anymore if there isn't anything left to love? I do understand watching two seasons, where Speed was... but he ain't coming back... so how can you watch/love the show when the thing you loved is gone?

I agree DaWacko.

I do not like Ryan, however I have never attacked to him here.

Just as the what you said,and I respect each fan like role's viewpoint.

So why do you watch the show anymore if there isn't anything left to love? I do understand watching two seasons, where Speed was... but he ain't coming back... so how can you watch/love the show when the thing you loved is gone?

What I see is friend to give me..The edition of the network download (It's BT ? I don't know..)

But the show season 3 in Taiwan's AXN September 19th, I will not see it,only 3x01 I'll see.

I start being in love with this shows from the Las Vegas season 4, I think I already accustomed to watch CSI.(LV,MIAMI and NY)
I do not like MIAMI season 3,but I'll expect new role of the season 4 in MIAMI.

*sigh* i was wondering when a thread like this would pop up. okay. where do i begin?

I respect Rory's choice to leave the show. We all have jobs we dont like and we should be able to leave them when we want.

I agree with ThumpyG42 on his death. It was lame. To quote Rory in his interview, they always come up with extravagant ways for people to get killed but they let him get shot. It was Speed's fault that he didn't clean his gun but you shouldn't have made a beloved character look like an ass when he left. Not saying he should have had a heroic death but they shouldn't have let him die look like an incapable idiot.

Now... Lost Son was actually the first episode i ever saw of CSIM. I liked Speed, a lot as you could probably see in my frequent posts in all of the Speed threads. :) i didn't know how he was in the first two seasons, nor did i really care at the time. I ended up buying the first season and i liked all the characters, especially Speed. When Ryan came in, i was kind of annoyed that a great character was gone but it didn't bug me to where i wanted to blow a hole through my TV. Ryan gradually became annoying to me over the season. It's not because he replaced Speed as i've stated many times beofre. It's because he acts like an ass half the time. Sorry Ryan fans.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You have yours, and i certainly dont need a reality check in my opinion because i'm happy the new season is starting. Speed was last season and we're all moving on with it in our own way.

Coming from the ER fandom, I think, has made me very indifferent towards character deaths. Characters on ER leave and they're never mentioned again. One of them, Lucy Knight, was killed and the only time she was mentioned she wasn't mentioned by name.

On CSI: Miami, Speed was mentioned numerous times during season 3. We got to continue two of his cases. Eric, Alexx, and even Horatio grieved him extensively. Horatio suffered from PTSD because of his death. Ryan is bitched at because he's not Speed. So I think it's a little unfair that people keep complaining. Considering the writers could've forgotten about him completely (ala ER) I think they've been plenty generous.

Besides, we have 4 underdeveloped characters that never get any air time, and it would be pretty unfair if they continued to live in Speed's shadow (which is where Eric and Ryan are right now). If Eric/Calleigh/Alexx/Ryan get some screen time, I hope it's THEIR screen time, THEIR storylines, not Speed's ghost's. At this point the constant reminder that Speed is dead has become tiresome and boring. Imagine if they kept talking about Megan Donner all the time. How redundant and pointless would that be? There are better stories to tell. Let's move on.

The television station will not let him speak out the truthful story.

What truthful story? Rory wanted to leave and he left. He wanted to leave so badly he broke his contract. Plain and simple. He's said so in numerous interviews.

Besides, this isn't the 1950s. No actor in Hollywood is opressed, I guarantee you that. Otherwise they wouldn't complain about their jobs so much. And... what is CBS going to do if Rory tells "the true story?" Lynch him, crucify him, castrate him? Networks have no jurisdiction over actor contracts.

If you hear hooves, think horses. Speed is dead because Rory wanted out. Blame Rory, not magical faeries or underwear gnomes.

Besides, we have 4 underdeveloped characters that never get any air time, and it would be pretty unfair if they continued to live in Speed's shadow (which is where Eric and Ryan are right now). If Eric/Calleigh/Alexx/Ryan get some screen time, I hope it's THEIR screen time, THEIR storylines, not Speed's ghost's. At this point the constant reminder that Speed is dead has become tiresome and boring. Imagine if they kept talking about Megan Donner all the time. How redundant and pointless would that be? There are better stories to tell. Let's move on.
No, I did not want them to have been discussing him,my meanings BE:they still can miss of him ,maybe a few.
Are persons to all have the affection,if they no miss him,seem to be heartless.

I think ,the show still: H had the great majority,so you said that will not take place.

By the way , Megan is great,but she only ten gather,I don't think her example ability set uses at him.

What truthful story? Rory wanted to leave and he left. He wanted to leave so badly he broke his contract. Plain and simple. He's said so in numerous interviews.

This interview only believes 50% to me(and my friends).
Anyway,CBS to my feeling is crafty,I'm sorry I can't agree with you.

I know is Rory choice leaves,but not necessarily must him to die ,can write him to transfer the etc.
Always there will be other choices,be not killed him.

Not saying he should have had a heroic death but they shouldn't have let him die look like an incapable idiot.
How I'd put this... When you look those two season, by the cases Speed had... you can tell by those he wasn't incapable idiot (e.g. Wannabe)
You know how stubborn some people is? When someone tells to do something otherwise, they refuse and it gets back at them.

Besides, we have 4 underdeveloped characters that never get any air time, and it would be pretty unfair if they continued to live in Speed's shadow
^I totally agree with that comment.

This interview only believes 50% to me(and my friends)
Believe what you believe, midnight said the facts, no one is forcing you to believe it if you don't want to.

I know is Rory choice leaves,but not necessarily must him to die ,can write him to transfer the etc.
Always there will be other choices,be not killed him.
But he is dead now, isn't he? You cannot change it no matter how much you say it was lame storyline. The one beauty of killing characters is the fact that fans and other people won't bug with questions like "will he come back?"
People won't bug writers with that question and people won't buy Rory with that question.

Okay, where do I begin again? Oh yeah, I'm going to flat out say that I am a big Rory/Speed fan. yeah yeah we've all heard that on this thread before. Okay, so where do I stand?

As much as I want them to keep focusing on Speed, which is a serious false reality, I really do think they should move on. Season 3, I actually only heard his name a few times, and it got annoying that they kept finishing his cases.

Ryan Wolfe. *thinks* I don't think I disklike him for the reasons that some people may think. Yes, in reality he did replace Rory Cochrane. They weren't just going to leave a skeleton cast. No, he did not replace SPEED. That isn't the reason I dislike him. It isn't because of the whole Speed death thing. I dislike him because he has always rubbed me the wrong way, and he seems a little young in reality to even become a CSI, and besides he makes it look like he already knows everything. (sorry to Ryan fans, that's just how I feel) So now that everyone knows.

I don't really feel that we need this thread to make sure everyone knows that Rory Cochrane has left the show for good. We know that already. We just need some more time to...get over it. We can have our own wild renditions of what should have went down on the Speed threads, so this one is kind of redundant. You know it, I know it, and i'm pretty sure Rory Cochrane knows it. He's not coming back. We can deal with it how we want.

(this is just how I feel. Sorry for any offense)

Are you saying that we shouldn't have a thread, where someone may say something BAD about Speed? Or be glad that he's gone?
I mean, I'm not glad he is dead but are you saying people shouldn't talk about this? I mean, this is a good discussion.
Dead character has most of the threads in one forum... so there has to be something like this, after all.

I agree with you there, I'm not Glad Speed is gone either, he was a great character and one of my faviourates. It's good to see so many still intrueeged by him!

No i'm not saying we shouldn't have this thread, because it does make for good conversation, I just feel that we're running in circles about the same thing and it may get a little tiring some times. This thread just feels a little redundant since we already have 2 speed threads. Sorry for the confusion, I'm not really sure what i'm trying to say either, and I have no problem with anyone saying anything bad about the character. Everyone's opinion has to count for something. :)

Back