Sela/Jo Thread #1 "I'm Jo Danville. I didn't do it."

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by PerfectAnomaly, Sep 25, 2010.

1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I can see how someone wouldn't like the character, especially after the first couple of episodes. NY has never been subtle about introducing a new character (MONTANA anyone?) and they did come off as very heavy handed with the "Jo is awesome" stuff. I think what saved the character from being annoying for me was Sela Ward's performances. I just love her as an actress and I think she brings a playfullness and humor to the character that stops Jo from crossing the line to being overbearing IMO.

ETA: I also like that her background is as an experienced FBI agent, too. That explains why she has so much knowledge and skill instead of just being this out of the blue phenom. (Haylen Becall, anyone?)

2. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Jo Danville needs a sister, and that sister should be played by Michelle Forbes.

(I've been re-watching 24 and I forgot that Michelle was in season two. :p Now the only thing that comes to mind is having her play Jo's sister. :drool:)

3. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

She is great. She was also in Lost and Battlestar Galactica my two fave shows. I hadn't noticed the similarities, you're right, I second the motion for her to be Jo's sister ;).

4. PerfectAnomaly

Here's a TwitPic from Gary:

[​IMG]

Aww . . . :adore:

5. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Wow look at Sela! :drool: That's the best picture of hers I've seen so far! Isn't she so gorgeous and lovely? I assume that came straight from Gary's camera. I don't think he has time to photoshop it :lol: so for me, Sela is even more beautiful especially on that raw picture! :D

6. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

^^Yep she looks great in that pic. It's such a sweet pic of the two of them :).

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I just came across this article that includes a picture of Sela as a cheerleader during the 70s. She was always lovely, I'm so jealous. ;)

8. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

Thanks

http://www.selawardtv.com/bama.html

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  9. Faylinn

Ok, spoilers will go in a spoiler box since the episode hasn't aired everywhere yet, but I'll just say this: Jo is adorable and I love her. :lol:

I love that Jo is a slob. She's just so...fun, I love it. She feels like that slightly wacky person you know that just seems a bit out there sometimes, but you love them anyway. And I loved getting to meet Ellie and see Jo with her. I was skeptical about the backstory considering the casting, but ultimately Sydney was a great choice, and she and Sela were great in their scenes.

Jo is so very much a mother, which is nice to see on NY - with everybody single and childless up until very recently, you don't get a real family feeling from any of them. I guess the team is a family of sorts, but...I know what I mean. :lol: The casual mentions of the kids and the scenes with Ellie feel so much more natural and authentic than what we've seen with Danny and Lindsay so far, even when they were at home and on vacation at the end of season 6 - that's not meant as a criticism of that storyline, just an observation. Jo is a mother through-and-through, and I love what that dynamic adds to the show.

Jo and Flack are an awesome combination. I love Jo's interaction with Mac too, but she and Flack were fun this week - loved the high five! :lol:

...Wow, how many times can one person say 'love' in a post? :p

10. PerfectAnomaly

I agree that Jo is adorable and I love her too.

I lol'd when we saw what a disaster area her office was as well as to Mac's reaction to it. The high five with Flack was awesome. The scenes with Ellie were well done and showed a really great relationship between the two of them. I agree that that real family feeling is something that is seriously lacking with DL and the spawn. I also loved her teasing Mac about working in the burlesque club and his reaction to it. I also love how they've let Sela's 'southernness' be a part of Jo's character.

I feel somewhat like a dork for always gushing over her, but I really can't find any criticisms of the character. Even her vast knowledge can be explained by her being an experienced FBI agent. I just feel they've really hit a homerun with this character and despite loving Stella, I don't miss her at all.

11. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

I have liked Jo from the beginning but after tonight's episode I fell in love with her! What a wonderful, fresh, relaxed, down-to-earth character! The interaction with her daughter was perfect, and Sela brings out the best in her cast mates. I am starting to like CSI:NY again!

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

13. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I agree too :). All her scenes were great. Love that she is so messy :lol: and her relationship with Ellie is so sweet. I really like that she has great scenes with all the cast but I enjoy her the most with Flack and Mac. She really relaxes Mac and her interactions with Flack are just plain fun!! I loved the high five they shared :).

14. Faylinn

A random comment, but I love Jo's jewelry (especially the key necklace). :lol:

15. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I know right? I like the clothes too ;)