"Secrets and Flies" Discussion **Beware Spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Oct 29, 2005.

1. ineverysunflower

ineverysunflower Coroner

i dont really understand this. i mean if the girl was a virgin then they baby isnt hers. she could have adopted it or it could be a family members. unless i am missing something. anyway, im still excited because i cant go without a new CSI much longer!!!

2. martini

martini CSI Level One

well it's her child cause I think it has a string of her dna, maybe she had her egg implanted in someone else to give birth to her child (I don't know if it's possible) and that she wanted a child of her own, but was afraid of sex or something…and just lied about it
    :) :p is it possible..

3. grumpy

grumpy Prime Suspect

maybe its a relatives baby

4. Barbarella

Barbarella Lab Technician

I'm hung up on the phrasing "technically a virgin". One of those things that make you go hmmmmm... ;)

5. Tazzer

Tazzer CSI Level Two

Isn't that phrase missleading also? I remember seeing a show about some cultures check to see if the woman is still a virgin before being made to get married. That if they find the membrane broken then she is disgraced EVEN though she never did have sex and it became broken some other way.

So I guess it could also be reversed, a woman can have sex, but the membrane was too tough to be broken, so technically she could still be a virgin (but giving birth would finally break it). This is giving me a headache, so...

Back to the plot - "baby was not her biological child" means there is no DNA of hers in the baby. Maybe it will be a reversed plot of Blood Drops. Instead of the parents pretending the young girl is theirs instead of their granddaughter - this plot will have a daughter raise her grandparents or parents baby. Who knows with this show.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Look at it this way. Be glad it's not ABC where the promos are so misleading and warped out of context that they don't have anything to do with the actual epsiodes whatsoever.

7. beautiful_loser

beautiful_loser Pathologist

I've seen those kinds of shows too. I've also seen that there are doctors who (given that these ladies have the resources) will repair the damaged tissue by using--surrounding tissue.

However, about the reverse happening--it's not possible. The membrane would definitely break if she had sex. The scientific aspects, the way it all works, it would definitely break, there's no way it couldn't. But that kind of thing is disgusting, and no one really wants to talk about that...However, that stuff can be broken very easily, sports activities...the works, could all be cause for a possible "breakage."

I think in this case, it was in-vitro fertilization, a man's sperm and another woman's egg were fertilized seperately, and then--"in-vitroed" (heh) into her. The instruments they would use would be small (I'm not really sure how all of that works, if she would be opened up or whatever, but the instruments would be small regardless). She would have been a surrogate mother, and there would be none of her DNA whatsoever present in the child.

I do remember reading something a long time ago, where a girl was swimming with her boyfriend in the ocean...A few weeks later she started getting really sick, she showed all the signs of pregnancy (I'm not really sure how many weeks later) but insisted that she never had sex with her boyfriend. Her parents took her to a doctor, and she had even started to gain a little belly. Finally the doctor opened her up and they found an octopus....

I seriously hope this Virgin Mary doesn't like seafood.

8. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

:eek: Excuse me?! What the...! How does that happen?!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

On the topic of the woman delivering an octopus, I did a Google search to see what type of birth they have (are they born alive like humans or do they hatch from eggs?) and found out that it's an urban myth which was debunked by marine biologists. They say even though you can swallow an octopus egg (which even if you did, there's no way possible it would implant itself in the uterus since those are two completely different systems), the human body is too harsh of an environment for it to survive.

10. allstar12

allstar12 CSI Level Three

Thx Jasmine - I was completely freaked out. Course I would believe something like that tho, I used to believe watermelons would grow in your stomache if you ate the seeds :rolleyes:

11. Guest

Guest Guest

LOL I was always told the watermelon vines would start growing out your ears if you ate the seeds. Never believed it though.

12. beautiful_loser

beautiful_loser Pathologist

The octopus had apparently lodged itself in the lining of one of her intestines, not the uterus.

Still, it made me cringe. I think I shouldn't have posted that one, I think it kind of overpowered whatever I had said before then... :rolleyes: Figures...Anyway she didn't give birth to it, they removed it...

13. ren28

ren28 Pathologist

"Technically a virgin" - how about in-vitro fertilisation of a surrogate mother (the dead girl), followed by C-section? That way, she'd still be intact.

Gave birth to an octopus!:lol:

14. Guest

Guest Guest

The only organisms that can survive inside a human digestive tract is worms because they thrive on the acids there. Octopus can't survive and this theory was tested to disprove the urban myth which has been around for several decades. And pretty much anything else will die inside there too.

15. Bailey17

Bailey17 Lab Technician

I just have to point out that according to that info she was in the special "Saved by the Bell" episode where Zack and Kelly got married. Shout out to all my fellow children of the late 80s and 90s! :)