Season 9 *Spoiler Lab* Discussions P3

Status
Not open for further replies.
^I honestly have to disagree with a lot of what you guys are saying. While I really do completely understand how frustrating it is to see so little character drama and development for the main characters, it's a show that really is based around science. It was created as a procedural and that's how TPTB are probably gonna keep it, at least until its ratings drop significantly. Personally, I just think that the writers deserve a lot more credit than they're given. Creating storylines based so much on science is hard.

Furthermore, I strongly suspect that we have a skewed view of the show, just because we're the viewers who are more invested in the show, and, in particular, in its characters. I've always heard that about half of the viewers watch for the characters and about half watch it for the science. On Talk, I've always gotten the feeling that we only generally see the character-oriented viewers' perspectives. I think a lot of the more science-oriented viewers would have a very different take on the quality of writing on CSI.

The reason this show is maintained the #1 almost all the time, is because of both elements, There's another show, that I tried to get into, [shall remain nameless] but the characters bored me, the stories were good, but the characters blah ho-hum.. but our team on CSI, are extrodinary and exceptional, and the way they work together and are all so unique and different but mesh and blend and have such strong camerderie while working on the 'scientific' end of the spectrum and the personal aspect as well, is the KEY at least for me.:bolian:

There's been many happy endings on CSI the last Ep. with Grissom ended extremly joyful and happy. When the team saved Nick in "Grave Danger" it ended happy, and when Brass lived in "ABRTI" that was happy, and when Cath found Lindsey after she was kidnapped that was a happy occurrence and so many more. It's a crime show so they're are many upsetting things as well, but hopefully we won't have to see any CSI's have anymore bad things happen, at least for a while and I want to see Greg and his book, and Nick with a girlfriend, and Cath with a good relationship finally.. and her relationship continue in a happy mode with her teenage daughter etc.

Last edited:
^While it's good that Nick and Lindsey were found, and that Brass lived, I'd hardly call those happy storylines. They were still about very traumatic experiences for the characters involved. We know at least one of the characters involved ended up with PTSD as a result, so I'd hardly say it was a happy story arc. I mean... getting kidnapped, buried alive and shot just aren't fun things... I think the poster was referring to something more obviously happy. The only happy storylines I can think of are Greg's book and, arguably, GSR, as those at least make the characters involved happy (and I do not mean to start another debate about GSR; I really do mean that part in the most objective, canon way possible). Greg moving into the field could also qualify as one. Warrick and Tina's marriage could have turned into a happy storyline had it not fallen apart. I honestly can't think of any other vaguely happy storylines for the characters... Maybe SuperDave getting married, though that was more of a fact than a storyline/character arc.

CSIs (at least on Vegas) just don't get that many happy storylines. Then again, happiness probably doesn't sell as well as angst, and there's probably a lot less drama involved. Who knows...

Back in the early days of CSI, they drew from real cases. The episodes After The Show and Anatomy of a Lye both come to mind. Those were both inspired by real events.

I say sit the writers down for a marathon of Forensic Files and get those creative juices flowing again!
That's why I miss Elizabeth Devine. She was a real crime scene investigator before and got a lot of ideas from the cases she had worked or heard about. Some of the most classic episodes were either written by her or had her as a consultant, such as The Accused Is Entitled and After the Show. One time she was on Oprah with Marg and they showed the audience a couple of machines the investigators used to work cases. Too bad that she isn't on LV anymore. I think she's working for Miami now.

Back to spoilers. I have been liking the post-Grissom CSI so far. I didn't expect that the transition would be so easy for me. While I don't want it to be over-dramatic, I really don't mind some personal storylines as long as they're well done. Turn Turn Turn sounds promising so far, looks like Nick is going to kick ass. And I sure would love to see one or two Greg-centered episodes.

Last edited:
The discussion thread for (913) "Deep Fried and Minty Fresh" is now up all discussion for this ep should be taken/done in that thread, as this is for future episodes. :) Thank you.

^I have to say that I'm not super excited for this episode. It's clearly all about Nick, along with a celebrity's character who's looking a lot like a MarySue at this point.

^I have to say that I'm not super excited for this episode. It's clearly all about Nick, along with a celebrity's character who's looking a lot like a MarySue at this point.

She's being described as a 'troubled' teen? So I'm not sure how she could be a Mary Sue?

And it doesn't appear her characters meets with a happy ending, so again how is that Mary Sue?

You might as well call Cassie from Gum Drops a Mary Sue?

Is it because the character is a female?

I'll hold out my judgement on Turn, Turn, Turn until I see another preview that is not so Taylor Swift focused. (I'm hoping they release one that is not so much focused on her and just Nick.) It did say all the CSI's work on cases that end up revolving around this motel.

I'll hold out my judgement on Turn, Turn, Turn until I see another preview that is not so Taylor Swift focused. (I'm hoping they release one that is not so much focused on her and just Nick.) It did say all the CSI's work on cases that end up revolving around this motel.

I agree with you, but given CSI focusses on the crime and not so much on the characters, my feeling it will be quite centred around Taylor Swift. Having said that, George is great at making small scenes very memorable so it will be about the 'quality' and not so much the 'quantity'.

She's being described as a 'troubled' teen? So I'm not sure how she could be a Mary Sue?

And it doesn't appear her characters meets with a happy ending, so again how is that Mary Sue?

You might as well call Cassie from Gum Drops a Mary Sue?

Is it because the character is a female?

You have a good point. I guess it is definitely easier to interpret a female character in that way, at least for me. If she were a male character, I probably wouldn't have had that reaction. Personally, I hang out most on Fanfiction, and there she just reminds me of way too many characters that I come across there -- the prototype of an endangered female with baggage and that one of the attractive male CSIs feels a personal connection to and feels the need to protect. Though the fact that she dies in the end certainly makes her less of an MS, to me. I can see your point, and I can imagine it going either way. But the fact that the promo was all about her and Nick -- and then the line about how it was personal for him -- definitely rubs me the wrong way.

That said, if they portray her fairly, I can see it working. From what I've seen of the promos, I can't say that I was impressed with Taylor Swift's acting skills. She did a good job on SNL as Little Orphan Annie in one sketch, but she just felt too... plastic almost in the preview (basically very much like I'd imagine a MarySue).

Anyways, if she's portrayed well, then I think it will be an interesting episode. While, as a fan of characters who haven't generally gotten as much screentime, I'm kind of frustrated to see a promo for a Nick-centered episode with basically no mentions of any other characters on the show, I think this is a good episode to finally see the emotions that have probably been boiling up inside of him. It seems like he's always had a bit of a superhero complex, and I'm sure it was especially frustrating for him, as Warrick's best friend and as someone who likes to protect others, to lose Warrick the way that he did. (And, before I piss someone off with the first part of the previous sentence, yes, I do know that, in terms of actual story/character arcs, Nick hasn't had as many episodes centered around him in the last 2.5 seasons, but he has, IMO, had consistently good screentime, at least in comparison to characters like Warrick, Greg, SuperDave, Doc Robbins and Brass, and has, over the course of the show's run, had a fair share of storylines.)

Basically, I think that if Nick is able to get out some of his frustration and emotions during this case, then it will be worth it. While, as a loyal viewer, I would rather see Haley played by an actual actress who might be able to play the part better, I can understand why TPTB chose Taylor Swift. There's more competition than ever for the top spot, and losing so many cast members definitely didn't help. I can understand why TPTB would expect to bring in new viewers -- particularly ones in the crucial demographic -- with this episode and hope they are successful in doing so.

Although this episode does come off as Nick/Taylor centric it still looks good, and you can't tell from just a promo how the episode wiill run its course. I am looking forward to it. Did anyone else notice Greg in the promo? He was standing behind Taylor (unfocused) in one of the close up shots of her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back