Season 8: "Dead Doll" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Destiny, Sep 21, 2007.

1. elwood

elwood Victim

Re: "Dead Doll" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Oppps sorry thanks Destiny I actually thought I read someone abovve that mentioned the same thing so I thought it was public knowledge but still a good reminder thanks

2. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

I just figured he did that seeing everyone else was out searching for sara...but I didn't mind! He's my fave, and yeah, he did seem prety freaked out by Natalie. if not freaked out, over cautious! Finally, since he first appeared on the show in season 3, to being signed to a contract by season 5, it took until season 8 for them to put him among the rest in the opening credits. Personally, I think he deserves it and has paid his dues. I am content!! :)

3. Grizzom

Grizzom Witness

That "Crime Solve Score Board" - I know somebody asked about it but did anybody answer?

Nick and Warrick had a full column, with a few "Solved" stickers.

Catherine had half a column.

Sara had one item.

No Greg, but there was a "Joe" that had half a column with a few "solved".

Is there a Joe that I forgot about? It certainly looked as if it was meant to be the graveyard shift roster. Is Joe going to pop up later this season? Or did somebody screw up and they meant "Greg"?

I think it's significant because they showed a very clear shot of the board.

4. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

LOL! That "Crime solve board" hasn't changed a bit since season 1. It must be some kind of inside joke with the crew.

5. Grizzom

Grizzom Witness

Thanks, kaylyne! I'll have to watch for it in the older episodes - I never noticed it before.

6. Tal_Celes

Tal_Celes Victim

you know, I always wondered about that Crime Solved board! I bet it IS an inside joke of some sort :p

7. LateToTheGame

LateToTheGame Hit and Run

Agreed. A coworker of mine who doesn't really like the show much (her husband does) mentioned how much that footprint thing bugged her. So someone who wasn't even paying that much attention to the show noticed that.

For me it wasn't just those kinds of glaring errors, but the predicability that was bothersome. When I noticed she was carrying the mirror, I knew the reflection would be how she was found (although I agree - where were the helicopters that should have been able to spot her easily). When she was at the top of the hill, I knew she would fall down it. It wouldn't have surprised me if, once she came to a stop, she lifted up her head to find herself staring at a rattlesnake (maybe that part got edited out ;)). About the only thing that was unpredicable was that Nick, not Grissom was the one to find her, and even that was telegraphed a bit with the "Gum Drops" flashback.

Count me among the disappointed fans. The plot holes and predicability contributed to this disappointment, as did the heavy handed attempts at emotional manipulation, which fell flat. I was completely convinced Sara would live and so the attempts to make me think otherwise (body in the desert, lack of pulse) were irksome. I made way more "yeah, right" comments to myself watching this than I have for any other episode. Sigh.

8. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

... but you didn't watch it. Bottom line, end of the day, you didn't watch the episode. So you have no idea how it was paced, how the tension played out, etc.

You can throw a thousand different snarky phrases at me, but pretending to critique something you didn't see is ridiculous.

No, I'm not comparing Shankar to Shakespeare. Especially since he didn't write the script - something you would know, if you had watched.

---

Getting back on topic, about the episode itself, I think that it had plenty of science, they just didn't talk it out like they normally do. Yes, this is CSI, but it was made pretty clear from the get-go that this wasn't going to be a "case", it was going to be a search.

After 8 years, do we really need Archie to explain what he's doing on the monitors, or Hodges to talk us through a trace sample? It just wasn't what the episode was about.

Next week we're back to cases - yay! - and what looks like some fun on and off the job with go-karts.

9. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

well, considering the show is called Crime Scene Investigation, i would say that it is what the show is about. It never had this much character stuff until GSR came along, and then all substance to this show went out the window. I guess as long as some 'emotional' thing is going on, logic and reason doesn't matter, huh?

I think half of that eppy was just sara wandering around in slow-mo...haha, i was laughing when she fell over and started rolling..it just looked so cheesy, could not take it seriously.

The worst part of it is, it was such a BAD ending to the MCSK story. It was terrible that they got GSR involved with that storyline, and didn't even make any sense for that to happen. Serial killers like that aren't dilusional...

And premiers are supposed to be a preview of what to expect for the rest of the season. This is going to chase off a lot of causual viewers, who don't care as much about the characters as the online fans.

10. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Okay as I stated in the First post on page one. Saturday comes around and we unsticky the threads, feel free to continue the discussion.

11. mrb105

mrb105 Pathologist

How does involving GSR not make sense? They said repeatdly that Grissom took Ernie away, so Natalie wanted to do the same to Sara. I don't know how you miss something like that.

12. GSRfanatic25

GSRfanatic25 CSI Level One

back to the footstep thing, my only possible explanation was that maybe she kind of hung out on a rock or somewhere until the rain stopped, and then started walking when the sun came out...but i don't know why she wouldn't just stay w/ the car. i'm glad they found her though, so that's most important. i can't wait to get back to the cases, they did use a lil forensics in this one, but, as to be expected, it was mostly about search for sara and sara's fight for life! sometimes, i think that might happen in real life...sometimes the science doesn't solve the case. sure, what they were finding (like evidence of a struggle in Nat's car) could tell them what happened, but the most important thing was that they found her. they had natalie and a pretty good idea of what went down, their priority was to find sara.
    i dunno, i think we should just take what the writer's give us w/ a grain of salt...it's what they want to do, let them do it. it's art, it's their expression. sadly, i think i'll still watch if and when sara/jorja leaves, though i mainly watch the show for sara and GSR, but if that's the way they feel the storyline is taking them,i'll have to deal w/ it! hopefully they'll get back into the cases being forefront, and GSR being occassional (albeit very different than before). this storyline was a chance to change things up, do something different and exciting. they can't make everyone happy all the time ( or ever, i guess) so yeah...

13. xfcanadian

xfcanadian Pathologist

it doesn't make sense that a show as good as csi would do something that lame and chiche. Plus seeing as she was labelled as a psychotic serial killer, she wouldn't have a strong emotional connection to anyone, relative or not. Plus isn't that the same as GD?? its like they just copied that eppy.

14. GSRfanatic25

GSRfanatic25 CSI Level One

how is that the same as GD? I really don't understand, not trying to be saracastic, I promise.
    I agree that they could have gone many different ways with this storyline, most of them probably less...cliche...than this one. but this is the one they chose. maybe they have a plan for sara and grissom, or just sara, that this leads up to...who knows? i don't even think they fully know.
    it doesn't make it a bad show, or a lame show, they can't be perfect.

15. NicksSexyBabe

NicksSexyBabe Rookie

i agree with you 100% i mean i was a little intrested in what would happen but the spoilers i read weren't even true i mean greg didn't find her he found the car...and i was getting a little nervous toword the end because the title of the ep. is Dead Doll (which i though would mean that sara died) but it wasn't but i don't think i will ever read spoilers again...i mean i thought it was had alot of suspense yeah they didn't do a whole lot of actual investigating but it did have to show how everyone was reacting to it just like they did when nick got kidnapped how warrick was upset how that could have been him, catherine getting the million from her father (who she didn't like/talk to) and they did have to show how sara got under the car and how natalie got her to the middle of nowhere. i mean look at grave danger the only reason the lab is in so much of those episodes is because they could see nick i mean there wasn't a whole lot of INVESTIGATING going on.