Season 13 Spoiler Lab Discussion Part 1

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by vegaslights, May 9, 2012.

1. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I like Morgan, too. But they are overplaying her personal drama: her Hodges/pseudo-romantic stuff, her Daddy's-little-girl angle, and now her in-peril-yet-again storyline. Overload. Not to mention this CSI-undercover-as-a-hooker storyline is just plain ridiculous.

2. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

This one. So far, the whole world "likes" Miss Morgan. The new characters are pretty much meh. I still can't really warm up to her, Finn (although Elizabeth Shue is alright, but still rolling my eyes at Finn, especially when there's gotta be some physical reason as to why she needs to swing her arms forward and back everytime she walks), or even D.B. They messed up on GSR, even when I rather see the show as a forensic show and not a ship show, Brass is in the background and still I haven't heard the last of his involvement with the Langston vs Haskell cover, and Nick?? What is up with him or whether he quit or not? And worst, they made Doc Robbins a cheater to his wife, who gets scolding from Brass for alleged cheating due to Brass' personal past imperfections.

This season pretty much became the Hodges And The Newbies Show. Then again, Hodges pretty much took on too much screentime on past seasons as well. There are some cases that I would want solved. Squeegel comes to mind, but I'm sure that there are more out there that I have forgotten about. Those cases could've been written and hopefully, solved fully if it weren't for too many Hodges or Wendy or Morgan stuff. They put Henry in the starting credits, and yet he's still in the background.

I don't mind some funny moments from Henry and Hodges, but to drag too much of moments from them on so many seasons is starting to get old for me.

I want more stories from the original characters, and stories that actually don't destroy them for next season, and also without too much interferences from the newbies as if they were there, like Morgan trying to comment on Sara's involvement with a victim and her marriage to Gil. There are just things like those from the originals that the newbies can't try to touch.

I'm not really feeling optimistic about the new season, especially if the originals are pushed back, again. Rant over.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  3. Lilith

Lilith Police Officer

Well you guys have already summed up my feelings about this show right now. I may not even bother to watch....I love Brass, but the whole Morgan-in-peril and unrealistically having her go undercover kinda ruins it for me. For some reason my computer won't let me post the promo for the finale which is weird :p, but all I can say about it is.....well...again I expected Morgan to be in danger. the team dynamic is just gone, it doesn't feel like a family anymore, if you count the newbies, but even so..... Brass is barely on the show these days, and I rarely see Greg interact with Nick and Sara, it's mostly with Morgan it's like the writers forgot about the long time friendships between the originals.

I never thought I'd say this, but if the show had been canceled ages ago, at least we all could've talked about how great it was instead of ranting about how the writers are running it into the ground and don't seem to care.

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  4. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I don't think Nick has to be involved with Morgan romantically to be upset about her being in danger. I *do* think however that it's ridiculous to have another "Ecklie/Morgan in danger" finale for the second year in a row.

Most of the episodes and cases this year have just been silly. With the show moving to 10:00 I would think it would have gotten darker, not sillier.

I'm just tired of it. I don't even want to watch the finale. I haven't even watched last night's episode and don't want to. I only watch now to see Nick, and that's not even just snobby "I want more character time for my fave" talk. I don't even care what he does anymore. I blank out the rest of the episode because it's just silly or contrived.

I honestly wish they'd end it. And that's from a fan who owns all of the DVDs and can just about quote every episode up until Season 9. After that I'm lucky if I can remember a TITLE let alone a plot or quote. It's just changed into a show that isn't the show I used to love.

5. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Police Officer

Hi Folks. Been a long time! I just wanted to say I totally agree with these comments about the decline in CSI into a soap opera. It became too cliched with LF and they tried too hard to get people to like his character like we loved Grissom. They did that by always putting in predictable 'peril' or 'hero' situations. And they have carried this on now with all the new characters. :brickwall:

Remember the old days when the plot was so clever and intriguing that they did not have time for all this soap? Grissom would show his character in how he would see things differently or round things up at the end that left the audience thinking differently? Remember the case on the plane with the guy who appeared to go nuts?

That's what I at least loved about the show. That and the generosity of WP creating an Assemble - both on screen and off. That did not need one character to always be doing all the work. You saw them all putting it all together. I think that too applied to the actors and production team pooling all their talents behind the scenes too. Because it showed in the quality of the product.

I am sure this coming season is going to be it's last. I actually hope it will before they ruin the legacy of CSI with it being, not exactly "bad" but less than it was for longer than it was great.

In the theatre they say about curtain calls "always leave the audience wanting more". WP knows this.

I only hope is that they will think towards how they want to leave the show. And fix some of their 'drama' bits (and yes I mainly mean GSR!). But also none of the others are progressing their careers, settling down with real people, nobody having children. Believe me Greg and Nick would NOT be left on the shelf!!!

Hey a wedding would be a great way to have cameos of both Cath and a (coming home :drool:) Grissom, to close the show, without appearing weird.

Either that or do 'Dallas' was it? Who had a massacre in the final shot!!! :devil::guffaw:

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  6. riddick

riddick Rookie

Dinasty, the infamous Moldavian massacre, the writers must have hated the characters hopelessly.

Seriously, Morgan undercover. Talking about not jumping the shark but the all Ocean. And most probably Morgan will hook up with whomever after this. Trashy fan fiction.

7. Lilith

Lilith Police Officer

don't even get me started :(! Shame, this could've been a really good Brass storyline. Maybe Nick will have some involvement, from what I've seen in the promo, but I'm pretty convinced Greg will be in the background (knowing his screen time in the finale episodes in general) and I'm really bummed that Sara's not in it :(, even though there's a reason she won't be there.

In terms of the cases on this show; sadly, I've already given up on that going uphill again, they're just not as compelling or memorable as they used to be in the early days, even when there wasn't any personal stuff, there were some really good ones in season 12, but still.....it's like they were missing something compared to the older seasons.

Last edited: May 12, 2013
  8. RocketScientist

Sorry missed that. Why? We're behind in the UK.

9. Frosch

Frosch Witness

I agree completely with all the recent comments. It makes me genuinely sad to see what has become of what once was my all time favorite show.
    Granted, as a Grissom fan I haven’t been as committed as I was when he was still on the show, but, via his marriage to Sara I still hung on regularly in the hope of catching even just a tidbit of info.
    Evidently since ‘Forget Me Not’ I haven’t watched one single second and have no desire to do so in the future. I hate to say it but I also just want the show to end.

One thing that strikes me is the rush with which stories are now told compared to previous years. Where is the patience and foresight which allowed a storyline to play out over numerous episodes, if not an entire season. Think of Fannysmacking and Greg , Sara’s kidnapping and breakdown leading up to her first departure which then lead to Grissom’s growing unhappiness and weariness. Nick’s ordeal of being buried alive which had repercussions episodes later, or Warrick’s troubles, leading up to his death. What about the Miniature Killer storyline? Can you imagine any of these storylines having a place on the current version of the show?

Instead we get episodes like ‘Forget Me Not’ where they cram in so much into one 42 minute episode that you're left completely numb and desensitized. Did anyone actually care that dead guy was stabbed seven times, exactly as many times as Sara’s father? Speaking of Sara, is she showing any signs of having gone through an ordeal just a few episodes ago? Is there any sense that she is upset over the end of her marriage or does it appear as if nothing ever happened?

10. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Well what about Nick quitting, coming back to help with the mess at the start of the season, and then...nothing. I guess whatever was so awful and had built up so much to make him feel fed up enough to quit just suddenly got better? One of the interviews (Don McGill maybe?) said they would follow up on his quitting later this season, but...uh...it's kind of too late now, huh? But hey...they gave him a dog, so all is good. Thanks for the great personal storyline for him (not) when we get all of this other personal stuff about everyone else, for better or for worse.

I still haven't watched last week's episode. Very sad that it doesn't interest me. I watched "Eleven Angry Jurors" yesterday tho and wow....this show used to be so good. All of that evidence gathering and processing and none of the ridiculousness. I miss that show.

11. RocketScientist

th
    I am so in agreement with all the comments here.

Smokey: you are always right on the nail.

Me thinks we do mourn a departed soul whose corpse is still walking. . . . :(:(

12. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

I agree with you Smokey, and I am also disappointed they never followed up with Nick

13. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

Yep. Pretty much in agreement with everyone here. RocketScientist, Frosch, Smokey, Lilith, everyone, you've all said everything I"m feeling right now.

I haven't been posting much lately because I hate being so negative about something. I would prefer to post when I have something positive to say; but I got nothin'. I'm much more excited about some of the new shows picked up for next season.

I suspect Sara's not in the finale because tptb want the dust to settle on the demise of GSR, then start fresh next season with their new Sara. Whatever. I just don't trust them to do right by any of the characters, so I prefer not to know

Even though I care about the Brass/Ellie storyline, I guess I prefer the cliff notes at this point. I'm not enjoying the show so I won't watch, but I will come back here to see what has happened to them.

14. Lilith

Lilith Police Officer

Yeah I hear you about GSR, knowing Grissom and Sara's dynamic history together I still can't take any of it in, their break up, the fact that the writers would even consider it is just.....mindboggling (I'm not sure I'm even spelling that right). Saying that it sucks is an understatement since I really loved their relationship.

I've seen bad episodes on this show before, but this makes the fanfics seem more enjoyable these days....as harsh as this sounds. It's really weird, after "CSI Down" and knowing his friendship with Morgan, I expected Greg to also get emotional about Morgan being in danger, maybe even more so.....I guess that won't happen, based on the previews? well, he's probably going to be sidelined anyway, so I guess it won't matter in the end the writers might as well ignore that he has a thing for her. To be honest, I'm getting sick of the writers 1.) having Greg being paired up with Morgan 90.99% of the time when he could also share quality moments with the other characters, and 2.) building up potential for Branders one week and then shoving it under the rug the next, leading me to constantly ask "what's the point if it's not going to happen?" and we already have a soap opera storyline going on. I'm not even sure if season 14 will be any better after this.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  15. kiwi_fruit

kiwi_fruit Dead on Arrival

What a way to put it! And what you said about leaving the audience wishing for more is just so spot on too.

I dug out season 5 boxset the other day and treated myself to a few episodes("Viva las Vegas", "Ch-ch-changes", "Nesting Dolls") and I felt like crying remembering just HOW amazing this show used to be. Maybe it's nostalgia talking but indeed it felt like it had a soul. It FELT different.
    Honestly, I regret watching this current season(and I haven't seen all of it- but what I have, I want to erase from my memory :( )