Season 13 Spoiler Lab Discussion Part 1

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by vegaslights, May 9, 2012.

1. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I'll likely watch 'In Vino Veritas' one of these days for just a little more unseen Mac material, but I haven't watched any eps since the one before that...just wish CBS would have put this one out of its misery already and given us one more NY season. Grrrrr.

I don't like the old cast not getting much material anymore, and I have the screwing with favorite characters and ship even more. It was unnecessary and OOC IMO.

And yes, you spelled 'Mindboggling' right...although some would add a hyphen between the two.

2. Rena

Rena Rookie

Actually, and sadly, this applies for all three of the CSI shows. Miami became so terribly flat that I stopped watching years ago. I didn't see the last 3 or 4 seasons. New York just got cancelled, and though I'm a little bit sad, I wouldn't have wanted to watch that poor, if not lousy writing of the show for another year. Too much changed over the past seasons in terms of creativity, wittiness, brilliant crimes, and the balance between personal and professional stories. IMO, it's been wrapped up in the season 9 finale. So maybe season 14 will be the last one for the mothership as well?

3. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I don't think the show is as bad as all of you make it out to be. It's still better than a lot of other shows on the air out there. Yes, I am not happy with so much Morgan and what is going to happen this week on the ep, but most of the stories this season have been halfway decent and some really good. I can only think of a few bad episodes.

Besides seemingly to always have Morgan on so much, the only real other thing that needs to be improved is more original cast time. However, how do we not know they have not asked for less time? We know Paul and Jorja have, who's to say George and Eric haven't either? Just saying! ;)

4. monketsharona

monketsharona Police Officer

Amen ! Nothing else to add ! :thumbsup:

5. MacsGirlMel

I still long for the earlier stuff myself. Miami I couldn't stick with...and I disagree on NY.,It wasn't lousy at all at the end...it was great all the way.

6. ragincajun

ragincajun Prime Suspect

Me three!!!

But, I do have one thing to add. The reason that we're seeing more Morgan and Greg is - they're cheap!!!!! When a show is as old as CSI, the veterans' salaries are much higher per episode. Therefore, the producers have them appear in fewer episodes and utilize cheaper cast members to fill the roles in the episodes the veterans do not appear.

7. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

Count me in as someone who's still enjoying the show.

A lot of the problems you guys are all citing are certainly nothing new and were even prevalent in the "good old days". Dropped storylines, here's a few: Warrick's gambling habit, the "lead CSI promotion", Riley, etc. Whilst that still doesn't make it acceptable, it certainly isn't something exclusive to this season.

I've liked a lot of the callbacks this season, even if execution wise they haven't been spot on. Frank's diner, Greg's book and "psychic" ability, Tina and Eli, Ellie, GSR, David's family off the top of my head. I genuinely think it's been one of the better "team" seasons and the cast have played off each other very well. I especially saw this in "Forget Me Not", the season premiere, the most recent episode and "Strip Maul". Other than Morgan appearing to be involved in every recurring storyline, screentime within episode has been pretty balanced (there's a topic on another forum with the screentime per episode and it's pretty equal overall). I liked that everyone got a spotlight episode at the start of the season too, even though the personal storylines did get carried away a bit later on.

Apart from "Last Woman Standing", I can't think of any episodes this season which have been truly terrible. A few mediocre yes but I feel there was more to like about this season than to dislike, particularly compared with the Ray Langston show.

I understand that GSR-fans are frustrated with the way that story has panned out (although I don't think that's the end of it) or that your favourite character isn't popping up as often as you'd like, but when you start calling out for the show to be cancelled, all it comes across as is "me! me! me! The writers aren't doing what I want, therefore they should end it". It's a big cast on a long running show and I get the impression there's a general disregard for everyone else who watches it for a different reason when people cry out for its cancellation.

For the record I'm looking forward to the writers attempting to try and top "Grave Danger" again on Wednesday. I'm fully going in with the mindset that "I'll be entertained for an hour" and I predict a lot of the posts this week will have some sort of variation of the phrase of "it was better than I expected", as evidenced by past episodes. ;)

8. Micha

Micha Rookie

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation 13.22 "Skin In The Game"

STORY LINE: The CSI team needs to brush up on their Medieval Italian, because "Dante's Inferno" is the text chosen for illustration by a particularly twisted homicidal maniac.

MR. TATE / ANONYMOUS
    50s, handsome, sophisticated, highly intelligent with a Ph.D. and M.D., an alpha male, Tate is suspected of being a serial killer. 2 EPISODE ARC.

NANCY BRASS
    50s, attractive , grounded and strong, she is Brass's (Paul Guilfoyle) ex-wife; she comes to Las Vegas after their daughter is reported missing. Knowing that Brass was a lousy husband but is a great cop, Nancy answers all of his personal questions, hoping they will lead to the recovery of her daughter, alive and well. 2 EPISODE ARC.

JAKE
    20s, attractive, everyman, street wise, a young usher at Brother Larson (Eric Roberts)'s church, he's very wary when the detectives arrive, because he and many others regard the police as The Enemy. Later, he's caught on the streets, behaving in a very suspicious manner, and is questioned roughly by Nick. 2 EPISODE ARC.

DOCTOR
    40s, FEMALE, a doctor with a practice at the Desert Palm Hospital, she has been caring for a comatose patient for the last two weeks, and is relieved when the CSI team gives her the information to identify her "Jane Doe." She answers Finlay's questions.
    MERCHISTON
    45 – 50, is a British journalist (think Vanity Fair) – an agent provocateur in the Hunter S. Thompson mold. He is also a man obsessed with replaying the power struggle between himself and his vicious, womanizing father who enlisted his son in his own debauchery, picking up and brutalizing prostitutes on the streets of London. Thirty years later, Merchiston has made a career tweaking authority, even biting the hand that feeds him – all in an effort to punish the powerful as he wishes he could’ve so long ago punished the father who dominated him. Now he has set his journalist’s sights on the Las Vegas Police Department and CSI, bent on exposing the corruption and hypocrisy of those tasked with policing the town where there are no rules, no boundaries, no morals – the town they call Sin City. 2 EPISODE ARC.

9. Rena

Rena Rookie

Guys, I put a question mark at the end of my last sentence plus included the word "maybe", so I don't call for cancellation at all. I didn't say it was all crap, but that all three shows changed over the past years to shows that didn't/don't have much in common with what they're all used to be at their beginnings, except for the cast. :)

I liked the finale of CSI:NY, MacsGirlMel, but I remember some episodes of last season that were just weak, such as the Valentine's story about three murders that got solved at the very same day within a couple of hours. I call that bad writing, but that's just my opinion. We didn't see many A and B cases anymore, or cases that would run over more than just one episode, we saw a lot of shipper stuff (which I myself didn't like that much since I don't shipper at all), a lot more personal stuff than actual science, and many loose ends that didn't get picked up again (to speak of continuity). Let alone that "Stan Whitney" confusion. So I myself did not enjoy much of the show anymore, and I myself wasn't or still am not that sad about it's cancellation. I still enjoy watching LV to a certain degree, but overall I do miss it's originality including the original cast members. :)

10. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Rena, I wasn't pointing fingers at you. I was generally stating my opinion because there has been a lot of negative about the show in this thread and I just wanted to talk about some of the good and that some people do still enjoy the show. :)

11. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Police Officer

I think there have been some good points here!

Doesn't explain the plots though! Nor the CSIs now being cops!

Criminal Minds is much more engaging and I have really enjoyed The Following. (though I wish Kevin Bacon would learn it's not a good idea to go into a dark building *every week* on his own ....:guffaw: )

12. MacsGirlMel

I agree about the cop antics...it's the one thing that's harder to accomplish with LV than the spinoffs...these guys aren't detectives like the two other teams (minus Hawkes and I don't know about Miami...did they have any non-cops?)

13. JorjaFoxFan

JorjaFoxFan CSI Level One

They had Sofia way back when. But I do agree, forensic scientists stay within the relative field of science, not high risk cop and detective work. CSI has been increasingly ignoring the hierarchy within the team it takes to solve a crime.

I probably won't watch the finale, but I'll give S14 my final attempt.