Season 13 Spoiler Lab Discussion Part 1

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by vegaslights, May 9, 2012.

1. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Yes we sure are used to disappointments. I just don't get TPTB that after all this time they still think we are more interested in the newbies. I do like DB but Finn still does nothing for me, except annoy me and it is all about how she is written.

After 13 seasons they are bound to have to reuse names.

2. Mr Jo Danville

Mr Jo Danville Witness

I'm quite liking Elisabeth Shue and think you guys should give her a chance.

3. Crumbs

Crumbs Police Officer

Well she's been on the show half a season and it appears very few people like her on the boards. I think she's had more than enough time to "settle in", particularly seeing as most of us took to DB and Morgan pretty quickly.

In my honest opinion, the second half of Season 12 was a big step-down in quality to the first thirteen episodes and I believe a large part of that is due to having a brash character like Finn strolling in and disrupting the nice dynamic which the first half had set up between both the new characters and the old. So it doesn't surprise me at all that people aren't taking to her.

I really, REALLY want to like Finn but the problem is the writers are going the completely wrong way about her character and I think it's dragging the show and other characters (in particularly DB) down. I don't know if this counts as character bashing or not, but there was pretty much unanimous agreement that the writers needed to tone Finn's character down but from these first two episodes, she hasn't appeared to have changed a lot.

4. Frosch

Frosch Witness

I put my hand up as someone who likes Finn very much and feel she fits in with the team as well as anyone.

I think Finn is not nearly as unpopular amongst general CSI viewers as one is led to believe on this forum. , I would dare to say that Sara too is not a universally loved character. I find it puzzling that Finn is criticized as being brash and cocky when Sara is praised for it.

I feel there is a concerted effort on this forum to stir up negative feelings towards Finn/ES. Maybe some see her as the reason for the original 3 not getting enough screen time?

Does anyone ever ask themselves what the actors in question might want? More screen time means longer working hours. I have no idea how salaries are paid on the show but I am guessing they don't get paid based on the amount of time they're on screen but by episode? Possibly, after working on the same show for more than 12 years they're ok with putting in a certain amount of hours and collecting an easy paycheck.

While it's understandable that fans want to see as much of their fave as possible it might not necessarily be what their fave wants.

5. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Press release - 13x06 Pick and Roll

No, I don't think we've gotten a press release for episode 5 yet! :confused:

Susan

6. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

His granddaughter was just kidnapped. Must we have an episode about his son too?

7. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

"Once Bitten" release:

8. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Ooooo...now there's something new! :rolleyes: His family sure does have bad luck with all of these murders and kidnappings since the move to Vegas. No wonder his wife is getting upset.

9. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I like Lisa Shue. And actually I've never been a huge fan of Sara but over the years she has toned down. I don't think we needed another cocky/brash character like Finn on the show. If they tone her down like they have Sara I might grow to like her but right now she is too bossy.

I really think they should have waited for another DB family focus episode until later in the season. I think they have this one too soon after the season premiere. Most of us like DB, let's not force him too much on us that we grow to dislike him.

10. Mr Jo Danville

Mr Jo Danville Witness

Happy to see Peri Gilpin name on the list too:adore::adore:

11. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I get your points, but I don't necessarily agree with all of them.

I don't think it's about screen time. DB gets a lot of screen time, but most people seem to like him, or at least accept him. And, Sara and Nick had more screen time than Finn in this last episode, but I still found her annoying. Sorry.

I tend to think Finn is more like Catherine than Sara with her cockiness and brashness. Catherine wasn't my favorite character either, but Marg seemed to inject more heart into her character. I admit, it's still early for Finn, so we'll see.

Sara was initially brought in to stir things up on the show, and I'm sure Finn is meant to do the same thing. Just because fans here may not like her now, doesn't mean it won't happen eventually. But I don't think it's mean-spirited of fans to ask the writers to consider more about how they write her character; or for ES to consider more how she plays the character. I think it was Jorja and Marg who approached the writers about toning down their conflict on the show. Just sayin' it's not too late to tone Finn down a bit, and still have an interesting character.

I do like ES as an actress. I just don't like the way she plays her character on CSI right now. I can handle the brashness; it's the smirkiness that annoys me. They deal with death everyday; it doesn't fit the show, or the profession, IMO.

ETA: I'm not a fan that needs to like all the characters in a show, but fitting into a show's premise is important. I'm a patient person, so I'm giving Finn more time. I would like to be more accepting of her; give her more scenes with Sara, and it could happen. :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  12. GSR GR

GSR GR Prime Suspect

This.

I also like ES as an actress, but I find Finn out of place. Her constant smirk is distracting and she comes across as a forced Catherine replacement. :rolleyes:

I guess, instead of treating Finn as a substitute the writers have to mould her into a real and likable character instead of a bossy one who's all over DB. I'm not a fan of DB either, but I don't mind him right now, as long as we don't have to hear about his family in every single episode. Also, I'm not keen on Morgan and Ecklie, but at least they're not in every episode. If anything, Greg should be a lot more involved than he currently is and split airtime with Nick.

I just don't see an ensemble in the show anymore, most episodes have become one-sided, and this leaves most of us disappointed because we don't see much of (if at all) our favourite characters every time like we used to...

13. Rena

Rena Rookie

I cannot believe that after more than 12 years the main characters are still described as "supporting cast" while the two new guys who've been on the show for nothing more than one and half (!) seasons are called the "current stars". I like DB, I like Finn (but still love and miss Catherine), I also liked Ray Langston, but I do not think of them as the core of the show! That's all the others: Sara, Greg, Nick, my all time fave Brass, and Robbins. Because THEY have been on the show since the beginning, and THEY have been contributing so much to the show, and THEY made it to what it still is today. :scream:

I think what's still most disturbing is the recent shift and change of characters. I don't like that either. I thought it was okay to introduce Morgan, but after Catherine left they shouldn't have put another character on the show to replace her, IMO.

14. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Article in the TV Guide about the episode, "Once Bitten", talking about George's scenes with the dog. :) Thanks to Anita in the FBWard for posting this!

[​IMG]

(click to see the full size scan)

15. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

I watched the episode today and it's SO good. George does some of his best work in the episode, and his monologue to the dog about a certain someone is really touching. It's a nice Halloween treat.