Season 11 "Spoiler Lab" Discussion

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athersgeo

Athersgeo Rookie

Maybe and maybe not. For me, as much as I like the characters, it's the quality of the writing that really got me interested in the show and I have to say that one of the biggest turn offs for seasons nine and ten has been the writing. Out of season nine, I can only think of four episodes I'd happily watch again; out of season ten, I'm probably nearing eight or nine episodes, but out of a season of 23 episodes (granted, I still have two eps to go), that's a pretty poor effort, considering every other season I've seen (which is all of them barring season eight!), I can muster at least half the season's roster for repeat viewing and some seasons (notably 2 and 5) I can literally sit down and watch from start to finish without wanting to skip more than a couple of episodes.

If the writing were to get back to that level, I'd give a season that was minus some or all of the existing characters a shot, but if they lose the cast AND the writing continues to be bland and generic action show, I'ma gonna be bailing and sticking to my DVDs.

2. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

For me, they'd have to put someone on there that I really really really really liked before I'd watch it without the original cast. The storylines are just not good enough anymore for the most part. The characters that I have loved for ten years have been what have made the stories more interesting (at least for me). So if they get rid of the entire cast, I will find something else to do/watch on Thursdays at 8pm. :shrugs: That's just all there is to it. As long as my favorite(s) is/are there I'll watch, otherwise, I just am not that interested. :lol:

3. byline

byline CSI Level One

You may not be the only one, but I can't say that I would do that. First of all, IMO, the longest-running honors should have gone to "Law & Order," and I'm extremely disappointed in NBC for pulling the plug on the show before that could happen. If the show were not as good as it had been, then it would be a different story, but it has actually rebounded in quality in the past couple of years, to the point where I was really looking forward to watching "Law & Order" again, something I didn't think possible just a few short years ago.

"Law & Order" is different from "CSI" in that that show routinely replaced the cast in a sort of revolving door of characters. In fact, a lead character was killed off at the beginning of Season 2. (The one irreplaceable character seems to have been Jerry Orbach's Lennie Briscoe, but over time even that loss has been softened.) "CSI", on the other hand, had the same core cast for seven and a half seasons, and so of course its audience has very different expectations built on loyalties to the longstanding characters and/or the actors who play them.

So if they try to turn it into "Grey's in a Lab," sorry, but that just doesn't do it for me. The novelty of the "CSI" concept (which is what first drew me in, in the first place, along with William Petersen) has long since worn off, and I just don't think sticking different characters into the same concept is going to appeal to me in the same way that "CSI" did in its younger days.

Still, I didn't think I would want to stay with "CSI" after Petersen left, yet I gave it a chance and have been pleasantly surprised with much of what has transpired since then. So never say never.

4. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

***Raises hand***:thumbsup:I as well will stay to the end. I think S/9-10 have been two of the most sensational seasons ever. Everything changes and I would be bored to death if things stayed the same. The stories, and our new leading man Dr. Raymond Langston [he's magical] are extrodinary and the team is also electric. It's different, but still phenomenal. I love everything they've done, and will be pleasantly surprised when we go into S/11, with new and exhilarating episodes. I would have enjoyed seeing some characters stay, but all in all, no complaints;)

5. Ipstenu

Ipstenu Police Officer Premium Member

With the exception of "Field Mice" and the first half of Grissom's last ep, I haven't watched a single non-Jorja episode since she stopped being full-time. The plots have just ... bored me. It's almost always a murder (remember when they used to work on all sorts of crimes? Like a B&E? A theft?), and there's less and less cool science and more action. It's not my brainiac show anymore.

If Jorja goes, I go. If she comes back, I come back. I MIGHT have watched for Wendy and Hodges, but now that that's over, I have very little drawing me to CSI. Except that it's this show I used to like.

6. electra

electra Pathologist

CSI is not as good as it used to be but I will probably watch until the end.Not sure what I would do if Marg leaves,still.They will definely need amazing writers but it's posible.

7. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Once again, to each one's own. I don't watch the show for a particular character, I luv' them all. I watch because the stories are intriguing, suspensful, fascinating, electrifying and the best on TV, my opinion. S/10 was astonishing, and kept our interest throughout the whole hour. And the new lead, Dr. Ray is beguiling and scintillating, and so brilliant, & I'm simply transfixed by his character, he's added his expertise and knowledge and brought it to the table, and the team is so bonded with him, especially Nick and Sara. I'm thrilled that this hugh big screen movie star has accepted to be on this great show. he rocks~ The old CSI, and I've watched some, are not as exciting as some of the news ones. TPTB are the best, to me on the media circuit:bolian:

The thing is it's an ensemble. I like seeing the whole team working together, Nick and Sara, Greg and Sara, Nick And Greg, & Cath with them too & with all the others joining in but if push came to shove, and I was forced to choose, I'd have to pick Ray and Nick, two rugged, sexy, handsome hunks, together, their so connected, and work so well on a case together, and gets my blood boiling and, over any female on the show~

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  8. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I have to say that even though I watch for the cases I mostly watch for the characters. After Grissom left there were a couple of months were I even forgot CSI was on. This season started that way but when Catherine got a love interest I got hooked again. Plus I do think that the team has found it's footing once again; it's more jointed. When the characters I really like leave I just lose interest. The same thing happened this season with Adam leaving Miami. I kept watching but sometimes I just watched on tuesdays or wednesdays cause I wasn't that anxious to see the new episode on mondays. I guess some of us just get attached to our faves :) and find the show lacks when they are gone. I know I would feel that way if Marg left CSI ;).

9. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Thanks guys! :thumbsup: The problem (well not actually not a problem) with CSI is that they made Grissom super likable character. When he left, almost half of the fans followed him. That's sad considering the show is back to awesomeness this season.

I have to comment to some posters who said Catherine as "bitchy" supervisor. I think it's her character/nature. She was a former showgirl and you know, they have tendencies to be whiny. I'm watching season 1 right now and it makes me laugh when she attacks Grissom.

That "different creative direction" bugs me. Are they changing the format of the show? Maybe one case per episode and the rest are for some character development. It's good to me. I wanna know more about the CSI team. They shouldn't be afraid to include some personal stories because after all, the CSIs portray real people. Or maybe a change in line up? Or we'll get some a la Numb3rs episode? I liked Numb3rs before so it's interesting how and what the new EP will do on the show. Okay we have 15 more weeks to find out. :lol:

10. kaylyne

kaylyne Coroner

I think the biggest problem wasn't Grissom being "super likable", it was the fact that they made him infallible. He could do no wrong. They made him a god who could do nothing wrong, never had to deal with consequences of his actions and always had a witty quote or comment for whatever subject was at hand. They started Ray out with that same mentality. He was the newbie, but he was also seemingly infallible.

I want my favorite characters to be human - to make mistakes, but also take responsibility for those mistakes. That's what makes the remaining characters on this show seem more real.

11. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

Yes, they did.

And also they failed to develop the other character to their full potential.

12. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Grissom wasn't that infallible and perfect.He mede some mistakes that had consequences on his team(Mea Culpa).Super H is infallible.

13. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I agree. And there were times he wasn't so likable.
    He wasn't portrayed as a hero; just a guy, often a little quirky, who liked doing his job and was very good at it most of the time, but not perfect. An interesting, and original, character.

I probably will never stop watching CSI completely, although without Sara, I tend to be more of a casual viewer. But if it does become another generic action/crime show with no originality, and there is no Sara, then I'm done.

14. Ipstenu

Ipstenu Police Officer Premium Member

I never felt that CSI was an ensemble. Back in season one and two, I used to call it the Grissom and Catherine show, with the Mod Squad as backup. You always got a lot more about them than anyone else, but they were the Stars. Everyone else was pretty new in the industry, so we didn't expect all that much. It's how it works. Slowly that changed from being 'Grissom and Catherine's weird cases!' into 'Everyone's weird cases' and finally 'Everyone's action adventure case!' and now back to 'Ray and Catherine's weird cases.'

It's just that where in Seasons 1-4, I'd watch regardless since it was entertaining, the cases (NOT the characters) bore the heck out of me. I like the characters well enough. Everyone's on the same level of 'Oh, yeah, s/he's fine.'

But. I only started watching because Jorja was on the show, so my reasons have always been pretty transparent ;) If the show had better plots, more consistent good plots instead of one in five, I might be willing to engage more. But they don't. There are a couple good writers, and even they are drifting too sensationalism.

15. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I agree. Grissom was much more grounded and real than Horatio. Horatio is definitely the super hero type. Grissom was way to socially challenged to be that.

I have to disagree on the Catherine part. Even though she is supervisor Cath hasn't gotten that much screentime this season. Ray has gotten plenty but I don't feel Cath has dominated the show.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.