Ryan/Natalia/Frank/Valera petition thread!

More development for these characters?

• Total voters
I hope the writers will create stories for Ryan, Frank, Maxine Valera and Tara price.
We know a lot about the others characters and so little about them. It´s offensive for the actors and for the fans, they have a lot of potential. Please, dear writers break this permanent H, E/C, sometimes also Nat, routine. I´m bored.

Bumping & bringing over these comments from the spoiler thread. I don't know where else it should go so it's just going here. :)

TPTB just can't get over the fact that we know something about this two and, IMHO, it is impossible to refresh or create something new for characters like Ryan and Natalia
- Ryan has gambling problems and whenever he does something he screws it up. Even when he could have been the hero of the episode (WISC), he had to leave the room with his collegues b/c they couldn't trust him anymore. What a horrible ending for a character like him. I really don't see how they could refresh him.
- Natalia was abused by her husband, he died and she has shooting troubles....then what? Can she have a normal storyline without troubles both for her and the others? I guess no...so I don't see how they could refresh her either :rolleyes:

I don't want to sound rude, but these characters are dead to some viewers. As much someone can enjoy them (I'm one of the people who wants to see a lot more about both of them ;)), I really don't see how they could come up with something actually new for both of them.
I totally disagree.Of course something new and refreshing can be thought up for both these characters.People with problems can and have changed for the better in life.Because Ryan has a gambling problem(which he is receiving counseling for) does not mean he can't grow ,learn from his mistakes and become a better person,people do this in life.The same with Natalia and her domestic abuse problem.They can have a new story by growing from the problems they have.The reason some may see them as dead is because the writers and TPTB keep giving Ryan the same problems over and over again,that is the complaint I see about him on other boards and the posters wonder why the writers keep giving him crappy stories when they don't have to.Why does he screw up so much,it's because that's how he is writen.The writers and TPTB write positive storylines when they want for others,even when it boarders on the absurd,they can do so for Natalia and Ryan.If they can write positive storylines for new characters they can do so for Natalia and Ryan.There is no reason that TV character lifes can't imitate real life and be turned around.Both these characters are smart,why not have them use their smartness to turn their life around. Perhaps they wouldn't be dead to some viewers if the writers did a better job with these characters.
You're absolutely right on this. What I meant with my post is that considering the fact TPTB always give them these crappy stories, I just can't see them writing something good for the two of them unless they bring a new character on the show (male or female....whatever!)

I'm just begging TPTB to hire someone new, someone actually refreshing as I don't find Ryan and Natalia refreshing at all especially when TPTB keep ignoring them or giving them crappy storylines :shifty:!!!!

I can't see redemption for any character on this show. It didn't happen with Ray senior...he was always UC and he died b/c of it. Hagen was psychopath and he died blowing his head off in front of Calleigh (oh yeah what a redemption :rolleyes::lol:). Jake Berkley had a strange past and we still don't know his past and I'm quite sure that he's exactly. Duke Duquesne was an alcoholist and I highly doubt he gave up drinking. Ryan was a gambler and screwed up....he still screws up even when he helps a kid.
So yeah I don't believe in redemption on this show.....on the entire franchise :shifty:

So, why don't take new characters with new storylines???...possibely good ones (as they're already doing with Eddie's character) so that also the others can bond with them and possibely smile 'case I'm having big troubles recalling the last time I saw all the CSIs smiling.

So yeah I'm all for new characters if it means they'll stop ridiculing both Ryan and Natalia and they'll stop with the shipping stuff :rolleyes:

^^^
Flo,the writers shouldn't have to bring on new characters in order to "refresh" Natalia and Ryan.Perhaps what is needed is new and refreshed writers.I still think if they can write for new characters,they can write for these two..Bringing on new characters in no way means they will do better by these two characters.As writers,they should feel ashamed of themselves,the writers are the ones that need redemption.We have more talented fanfic writers right on this sight.We keep getting crap because that is what we accept,and I pretty much told TPTB that very thing when I wrote them a letter.There can be improvement all around and there should be.With this upcoming season,perhaps there will be less emphasis on some things and characters,and improvement seen else where.

^^^
Flo,the writers shouldn't have to bring on new characters in order to "refresh" Natalia and Ryan.Perhaps what is needed is new and refreshed writers.I still think if they can write for new characters,they can write for these two..Bringing on new characters in no way means they will do better by these two characters.As writers,they should feel ashamed of themselves,the writers are the ones that need redemption.We have more talented fanfic writers right on this sight.We keep getting crap because that is what we accept,and I pretty much told TPTB that very thing when I wrote them a letter.There can be improvement all around and there should be.With this upcoming season,perhaps there will be less emphasis on some things and characters,and improvement seen else where.

Totally agree with you, greatfan! The writers, and the show runner who is approving this stuff the writers are coming up with, is the problem. There are other shows with ensemble casts where every character gets the attention they deserve - perfect example in my book, NCIS. Their writers make it look easy and you won't see a more inclusive "team" on television. (btw - and totally OT - did anyone catch the NCIS cast discussion on ET last week? Didn't seem to be an ego in the room and they genuinely seemed to care about each other - even kidding Mark Harmon when he talked about caring so much for all of them being protective of the bunch and what they have).

What it comes down to is the writer's inability to produce a coherent story that includes participation from every character and, I feel, a total disrespect for certain characters on the show.

Natalia, Ryan and Frank have limitless potential simply due to the fact we know so little about them. And they are portrayed by actors with huge talent - if given a chance to display it. People are BORED with all Horatio, Eric and Calleigh all the time. They have been the focus for too long. Its someone else's turn.

And probably the only thing that most CSI Miami fans seem to stand together on these days is that the show needs to stop ignoring Natalia, Ryan and Frank. And we have been pleading for this for a while now.

Eric may be leaving but I think we stand a good chance of having to watch Calleigh be oh so angst ridden for the rest of Procter's contract with Eric being gone constantly referenced. And if Calleigh pops up pregnant - my stomach is turning at the thought of the escalation of the soap opera that, IMO, already exists as a result of that "ship"! :rolleyes:

Use Horatio and Calleigh to bring the other characters out of the background! Make them the support every once in a while and the other character the focus. (It's clear from the past couple of seasons putting Horatio and Calleigh together isn't a good idea anymore.)

Natalia and Horatio and Natalia and Ryan work wonderfully together. Bring her back to some quality time by hooking her up with one of them on an alternate basis (work wise - I'd rather seen every idea of a "ship" sink like the Titanic than go through another "romance" the way CSI Miami writers conceive one). Eva is an amazing talent and given the opportunity she can truly shine. I've seen it. She is one of the best actresses on television and they do her a great injustice keeping her in the background.

Frank works really well with all of the characters, but he's truly funny with Ryan and Calleigh. He's also had some really good moments with Natalia. He and Horatio are good friends. How about a "personal" story with Horatio as a support/confidant for Frank, but Frank the focus of the story.

Ryan has so much potential he almost needs a show of his own! I truly love that character, but they need to quit beating on him and making him a screw up. He much too smart for that. For Ryan I believe it's acting on emotion and not thinking it all the way through. Also, failing to trust those who would be there for him. Horatio has never NOT been there for Ryan. Natalia has always been a good, supportive friend. Hell, Horatio and Natalia were there for Ryan during his suspension when no one else was. Ryan tends to be a loner much the same way Horatio is when he dealing with personal challenges. Maybe that's why Horatio appears to be such a strong ally for Ryan - he sees himself and empathizes with Ryan's struggle. This is why he makes himself available as someone Ryan can turn to - if Ryan would get it through his head! Ryan has been referred to as a Mini-Horatio on more than one occasion. ;) Calleigh has also been a mentor and friend (excluding her joining with Eric in WISC). I can see him not trusting Eric and I don't blame him there.

How about Rick Stetler? Why is he eternally stuck in IAB? Let's get him in a position where he is forced to interact with the team more often. The interaction between Horatio and Rick is always priceless. I'd love to see a lot more of Rick.

Jesse is a character I'm hoping they will use very carefully - for the show's sake and for the actor's sake. His personal life is his own business, but it doesn't stop people from making negative comments about him because of it. He doesn't need the wrath of the CSI Miami fans on him as well (I feel so bad for Lawrence Fishburne - they have really screwed up introducing his character). I love that this character will have a past association with Horatio. Please make him a serious criminalist and not a "player". Men can be reduced to nothing more than eye-candy in the same manner that they do it to women - and it's not fair for either.

Horatio I'll leave alone. His behavior has been discussed ad nauseum. While there are signs of a change on the horizon, the past couple of seasons he hasn't been the best leader and has had moments of truly questionable decisions. That said, he remains my favorite character and I think he can find his way back to who he once was. Last season was a good start and I'm hoping it continues.

A Horatio moment I would truly love to see that I know will never happen? One brief scene with Horatio entering an office that indicates he's talking to a counselor. Wouldn't have to be much, just enough to let us know that he's finally decided he needs to get some help dealing with some of the demons in his past.

They make the same mistake on this show that they do on House. All these life experiences for Horatio and Ryan, but neither of them ever seems to "learn" anything from them.

There is a promise that may change this season - I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I truly believe that this show can return to what it once was - a true "team" working together to solve crimes with their focus on the victim and not their own little dramas. It would be intersting to visit their personal lives occasionally, but not as a focus of the story. You leave too many fans out when you focus on only one or two characters.

Whoa! Time for me to shut the heck up! :(

Delynn & greatfan you've said it so perfectly! I agree 100%.

I think tptb have every opportunity with characters like Ryan & Natalia to write something refreshing for the show - it can be done because there's been so little of these characters in the past few seasons - they have families, they have personal lives, & they have pasts that aren't all too clear, so imo, there is ton to work with here.

Furthermore, the characters have changed & they're growing, so again that's where the opportunity comes in to write something for them. For example, we don't see much on Natalia but what we do see is something that can always come into play for an arc; she's protective of the team/victims, she's caring, she loves what she does (science, justice), BUT she has a much different drive than the others do & she handles the suspects/victims in a much different manner -- she is a labrat turned CSI, no background in being a cop at all & it's clear she struggles with that aspect of being a CSI -- lOTS of places to go with a character like that.

Ryan too. He's matured so much. I agree with Delynn that he takes action before thinking it through, & he finds it hard trusting his colleagues. His heart always seems to be in the right place though, imo. The question with Ryan (that also holds potential for an arc) is what made him be the man we've seen the past 5 years - what gave him his drive to succeed in this business, why is it "in his blood", why does he wind up feeling left out, why can't he trust his colleagues (though it's obvious he cares for them), --his family history is something that can & NEEDS to be written & it might just answer those questions.

Just like Horatio & his past with his abusive father/death of mother, we know that is what kicked it off for him; we know with Natalia that alot of her actions lie in what she went through in her marriage & that she was not only a victim at one time, but also an innocent suspect (see Internal Affairs) - we don't know what drives Ryan though, & that alone is great material that could be used for a refreshing storyline.

I'm not going to go on a rant of anything because you guys (greatfan, Delynn, and mjszud) said everything I would have. I don't really say much in the spoiler thread (or here), but I just read everything now and completely agree with you three. Awesome job. :lol: :thumbsup:

I just wanted to say that I agree with you guys. :D

I agree as well. I'd love to see something about Ryan's family and a good storyline for him as well as ones for Frank and Natalia and yes, even Valera. :)

First of all, thank you to mjszud for starting this thread. Here is a place to go for those of frustrated with the lack of quality screen time for these underused and underdeveloped characters:thumbsup: I just want to pull out my hair when I see the crappy story lines Ryan especially gets (I want to see Natalia, Frank and Valera get story lines period). I am SO tired of Ryan getting these half baked stories where he is in trouble (the "leak", gambling problems, and his whole Russian ordeal), and looking like a bad cop. I remember reading some where that the whole point of WISC was not to get Ryan in trouble again but to see how the Russians could get to the team. But WHY RYAN?! :scream:One could say that he was grabbed because of Billy but the "Big Three" have family the Russians could go after. And we know so little about him that he might as well have been dropped off on earth by the mothership.:scream: And Natalia, she just disappeared and she is good (see the episode with the triplets) and Frank is more than a collection of one liners. And Valera has so much potential!!

I personally think that there should be less character development and make the show about the science, I remember Miami when it first started and it was a great show, now it's more like a soap opera. :(
As long as making the show about the science includes the other CSI's,that's fine.Perhaps cutting out some of the Calleigh/Eric mess could help steer the show towards the science and away from the soap opera like atmosphere.

I think the emphasis should be on the science but the character developement could be possible in showing how cases effect the team personally.

Having said that though, I don't think they need to have "development overkill" with only 3 of the characters & no one else - nor do I think it's at all fair to the actors getting less development/screentime, & the fans as well.

I think that is why I am not remotely a fan of the whole Eric/Calleigh romance. These two seem to garner much of the screen time already and sticking the two of them together not only increases their time but cuts back on the others. Jon Togo, Eva La Rue, etc. deserve better than what they are getting.

I think tptb have every opportunity with characters like Ryan & Natalia to write something refreshing for the show - it can be done because there's been so little of these characters in the past few seasons - they have families, they have personal lives, & they have pasts that aren't all too clear, so imo, there is ton to work with here.

Furthermore, the characters have changed & they're growing, so again that's where the opportunity comes in to write something for them. For example, we don't see much on Natalia but what we do see is something that can always come into play for an arc; she's protective of the team/victims, she's caring, she loves what she does (science, justice), BUT she has a much different drive than the others do & she handles the suspects/victims in a much different manner -- she is a labrat turned CSI, no background in being a cop at all & it's clear she struggles with that aspect of being a CSI -- lOTS of places to go with a character like that.

Ryan too. He's matured so much. I agree with Delynn that he takes action before thinking it through, & he finds it hard trusting his colleagues. His heart always seems to be in the right place though, imo. The question with Ryan (that also holds potential for an arc) is what made him be the man we've seen the past 5 years - what gave him his drive to succeed in this business, why is it "in his blood", why does he wind up feeling left out, why can't he trust his colleagues (though it's obvious he cares for them), --his family history is something that can & NEEDS to be written & it might just answer those questions.

Just like Horatio & his past with his abusive father/death of mother, we know that is what kicked it off for him; we know with Natalia that a lot of her actions lie in what she went through in her marriage & that she was not only a victim at one time, but also an innocent suspect (see Internal Affairs) - we don't know what drives Ryan though, & that alone is great material that could be used for a refreshing storyline.

Thank you; I couldn't have said this better myself:thumbsup:

-Frank learning how to type faster with his computer:lol: (sorry I just watched "Killer Date")
-Valera without lab coat, standing in a room and talking with the other women about a case.

Actually I recall an episode (can't remember which one) which had a quick shot of Frank on the computer and he was actually typing faster with both hands:)

Frank has gotten none at all. The closest he's had is at the beginning of one ep where he stepped on a mine or something and they had to undo the bomb so he could step off without getting hurt. But, that was over after the first few minutes of the episode.

Well there was Bait where he was a suspect and Inside Out where he thought he hit a civilian but it was the same thing as Throwing Heat as there was little focus on him. In Bait there should have been more but I did like the end when Horatio meets him in the bar and in Inside Out it started off as a potential Frank centric ep but when Alexx and Calliegh cleared him it was like "Oh he didn't do it. Let's go back to normal"

A potential missed opportunity was in the Episode Power Trip where we learn that Frank rode patrol with that messed up detective. They could have made a whole Frank centric ep out of that one

It still bugs me that they never gave him a goodbye scene with Alexx :(

i agree:thumbsup:. i would love to see something other than just work related stuff with ryan. his family,personal life, and past. i think he needs to be explained more.

WARNING: this post is not intended to offend anyone. It is just a rant...so if you feel you might get offended, just ignore it ;)

Whoa!!! I was just not expecting this to happen and I do feel I have every right to express my opinion, possibly without being attacked b/c of some misunderstandings ;)

I really don’t know what you guys thought I was meaning with my posts. Surely, I know that I didn’t mean I’m tired of Natalia or Ryan. That’s not what I was meaning, at all!
I know that some of you just love Ryan or adore Natalia. I like them both, I won’t say that I love them or that I adore them just b/c they’re fictional characters and I find it pretty odd to get in love with them. But this doesn’t mean that TPTB have to focus on them.

They never focused on Ryan or Natalia and, seeing what they’ve done with the whole E/C plotline, I’m glad they didn’t do it and I truly hope they’ll NEVER focus on a specific character.
Delynn you mentioned NCIS as a good show when every character gets the screentime they deserve and I actually like what you said about that show ‘cause that’s perfectly true.

But (there’s always a “but”), I don’t think it’s a good idea to take the NCIS example to explain how terrible the screentime on Miami is.
Don’t get me wrong, but NCIS is one of the best-written shows I’ve ever watched and I highly doubt that my beloved writers from Miami are even able to reach their level :rolleyes:

As you guys keep saying it’s too bad that writers don’t know what to do with their characters ‘cause you’re absolutely right!!! But this doesn’t mean they’ll be able to improve.
What I am trying to say (possibly without getting boos because of it :p ) is: look, we have bad writers who don’t know how to handle their own creatures, how can you want them to create something new/refreshing for the characters they keep ignoring or better say ridiculing????? I guess it’s a little bit too hard for them, don’t you think?

I used to love every character on this show, I really did, but they’ve kept ridiculing all of them, that I just wish we had some sort of time machine so that we can go back. We don’t have it, so yeah the only other possible solution I can find is…”hire someone new”…actor/author…whatever!!! I don’t care as long as I have something new on this show!!!

As you said Ryan matured a lot since he first appeared on the show. While I couldn’t stand his Mr. Perfect attitude at the beginning, I learned to enjoy him during these last 3 seasons.
As you said, we don’t know what made him change so much. You are probably right about his family and his background, but, don’t get me wrong, I really wish we would never see his family ‘cause I really don’t see the reason for it on a show like this. I know that this CSI:Miami and it’s supposed to be different from the original show and many many other shows, but I really don’t see why they should bring a member of his family. I can understand it with H and eventually (as they did) with Calleigh and Eric (though, they ruined everything, at least IMHO). They also brought Speed’s parents for his funeral. I can understand them since they were part of the ORIGINAL team, but I wouldn’t accept it for any other member of the team.

Did we see Tony’s family from NCIS? No, still he’s part of the ORIGINAL team. So yeah it is fully unnecessary to know everything about everyone’s family….I guess!
Sorry, but I really don’t need to see the (un)famous Uncle Ron you keep talking about. What could his function be???? Break another lock??? Wow, not thanks….not my cup of tea :rolleyes:

Bare in mind that I’m not saying this b/c I hate the character. I’m saying this for the show’s sake!

Same thing for Natalia. Mjszud, your descriptions is really good, still I don’t see why I need to know about her family. I’ve already know her ex-abusive husband and her beloved sister Anya.
As I don’t see why I should learn more about her background. She changed….good for her, but we don’t have to know everything about everyone.

I don’t know whether you remember a show named “The Pretender”. That’s a show where I can see all the characters having a strong background with lots of secrets. Everyone on that show had a family and everyone went on searching for it. Some of them were able to find their relatives, some others not. Still that was on of the shows in which family was an important aspect of it.

Surely the whole CSI:Franchise as most of the other crime dramas we’re watching don’t need this aspect.

As for the new character. Well think about Ryan and Natalia since we’re talking about them

What about a character like Erica Sikes (I know I know you hate her, still I think she was the best character ever for Ryan) who drives Ryan crazy….a person who Ryan may fall in love with??? That’s what Ryan needs. He doesn’t need more screentime, he doesn’t need more troubles, he needs happiness and love!!!! Only a new female character can solve Ryan’s problem!!!

As for Natalia, she needs both a man and a best friend. As much a I love all her scenes with Calleigh, I really don’t how I could stand the two of them especially considering the spoilers we’re reading
especially when Eric phones Natalia instead of Cal
So yeah, I’m sorry that I thought two new characters (one man=Jesse and one woman=Ms.X) could help two characters on the show who mean nothing even if we love them.

Sorry, but I’m tired of reading how much Ryan and Natalia deserve more scenes and better storylines and you don’t consider the only way possible for Miami’s writers to solve this problem. Since they have some problems and they don't seem able to solve them in a certain way....well skip ahead...consider some new ways. Sometimes we have to change, shows have to change. Peoaple change so...….stop being stuck in the past!

Last edited:
Bringing on new characters will not solve a thing.There will just be an increase in the number of characters that the writers can't come up with a story for.They will continue doing the same things they are doing now,focusing on certain characters,this time around,the new characters.The same problems persist,nothing solved.
Sorry if you you are tired about hearing of the lack of screen time for the present characters,but it's a problem plain and simple.If this wasn't a problem,there wouldn't be so much complaining about it.There are ways to solve the problems,or at least some of them, one way is to just stop ignoring some of the characteristics that were given to the characters in the first place. Bringing in new characters only places a very small bandaid on a big problem.Perhaps there will be some improvement if the show really returns to it's roots,the screentime was more appropriate in the earlier seasons and we still enjoyed the characters.While we may not need to meet everyone's family member,a reference here and there won't hurt.I don't necessarily need to meet family members,I also don't need to be fed a steady diet of the same characters over and over again,I don't care if they are the originals or not and I certainly don't won't to see a new face over and over again.That only says to the remaining cast members,you aren't worth the effort for us to try to do anything with you,that's what I see right now.Fair or even more airtime does not mean to focus on a character until you get sick of them.If you are going to have a character appear for a mere 10 seconds why bother?
People do change and the writers can use that very fact with the characters that have now and come up with ideas.
As far as I can see from everyones' post,there was no attack,everyone just posted their opinion.Not agreeing does not equal attack.

Last edited:
I agree with you completely, greatfan.

I just think it's a little unbalanced that we've met a family member of every team member except for Ryan and Frank. It just isn't right or fair. It makes me feel as if the writers care more about the other characters than they do them. If the writers wanted to, they could write a believable story that included one of the family members of both of these characters. The whole episode doesn't have to revolve around them. They could even make one of the family members the DB. I don't care.

Just one... just once and it can be as brief as possible. It doesn't have to be a long, drawn out storyline or a storyline surrounding the member of Ryan's family or Frank's family just so long as we get to meet one member briefly. Even if they just show a picture of Ryan or Frank with that family member. Just SOMETHING, however small. Just something where we actually get to SEE the family member, even a picture.

For example where Ryan is concerned, when he got the nail in the eye, they could have briefly shown Uncle Ron (since I don't believe any of his other family members live in Miami) standing in the hospital room (he could have been looking out the window, his back turned to Ryan, we never would have to see his face or even hear his voice). Or when Alexx was there when Ryan opened his eyes, she could have said "Your Uncle is here to take you home." And we could just see Ryan walk out of the hospital room, see his uncle standing way down the hallway (he can even be blurry, I don't care) and then Ryan have his little talk with Eric and then walk down to the end of the hallway to meet up with his uncle and his uncle putting an arm around him as they walk out together. They don't even have to show his face.

Why is something like that so unreasonable or too much to ask of them? Just to see a family member of Ryan's or Frank's briefly would be enough to satisfy me. It can even be in a flashback, I don't care. Just some little something.

As for the whole new character thing, maybe it bothers me because of the recent debacle at Vegas, but it bothers me nonetheless.

If they can't write the characters they already have very well, how can they write for new characters and write them well? Look at Vegas. They had two new characters and both were badly handled (or mishandled). Over-writing one and making the other be nothing but background/prop, etc. Though on Vegas, I mostly blame the more in charge ptb who probably told the writers to write more for one character than the others. But I'm not sure that is the case here.

Miami has always been not very good at writing for new characters after so many episodes. I don't understand how they'd do any better with new characters if they brought some new ones in. If they're bad at writing for the already existing characters, then bringing in new ones is definitely not the solution (and judging by the example of Vegas, it's only going to most likely shove the already lesser used characters into the background even more- which is why I believe new characters, new full time characters would be a huge mistake at this point). The better solution IMO would be completely new writers with possibly new/fresh perspectives on each and every already existing character.

As for love interests for Ryan, I'd be fine with it if they brought in an old girlfriend of his and had them find their way back together (depending on what actress they cast in the part). As long as it was NOT Erica Sikes. She was NOT good for Ryan at all. She used him to get news stories, she caused him to get even more mistrust from his teammates. A love story for Ryan is fine, but not one with Erica Sikes. I hope we never, ever see that character again unless it's as a DB. :lol: Ryan needs a sweet girlfriend, not one who tries to walk all over him to get what she wants.

To me, Ryan getting back together with Erica is like Natalia getting back together with Nick Townsend. It's the same thing. Both Erica and Nick were abusive, only in different ways. I was in a relationship that was both forms of the abusives that Erica and Nick both displayed and it was not fun. It's not something I'd wish on my worst enemy, let alone my favorite characters. :lol:

Last edited:
Thank you GNRF. Vegas is indeed a great example of the adding new character line of thinking. I would have loved to have gotten to know Riley before she was dismissed(that's how I feel)She seemed as if she could have been a great character,but was lost in the shuffle. Langston ,while an interesting character is almost the entire show,how awful for the other cast members and the show itself.That is my fear also with using new characters for Miami. It doesn't make sense to me that writers can only be creative with new characters.Every character(like real people) has different layers and facets to their lives,or they should and I do think the writers should use this fact.
You gave the perfect example(Nailed) of including tidbits about the character.It doesn't have to be something big.
I agree about Erica Sikes also.She was trouble for Ryan and she would only be a continuation of the Ryan in trouble line of thinking.
I like the idea of at least adding some new writers as long as they are familar with the characters.

Bringing on new characters will not solve a thing.There will just be an increase in the number of characters that the writers can't come up with a story for.They will continue doing the same things they are doing now,focusing on certain characters,this time around,the new characters.The same problems persist,nothing solved.
Sorry if you you are tired about hearing of the lack of screen time for the present characters,but it's a problem plain and simple.If this wasn't a problem,there wouldn't be so much complaining about it.There are ways to solve the problems,or at least some of them, one way is to just stop ignoring some of the characteristics that were given to the characters in the first place. Bringing in new characters only places a very small bandaid on a big problem.Perhaps there will be some improvement if the show really returns to it's roots,the screentime was more appropriate in the earlier seasons and we still enjoyed the characters.While we may not need to meet everyone's family member,a reference here and there won't hurt.I don't necessarily need to meet family members,I also don't need to be fed a steady diet of the same characters over and over again,I don't care if they are the originals or not and I certainly don't won't to see a new face over and over again.That only says to the remaining cast members,you aren't worth the effort for us to try to do anything with you,that's what I see right now.Fair or even more airtime does not mean to focus on a character until you get sick of them.If you are going to have a character appear for a mere 10 seconds why bother?
People do change and the writers can use that very fact with the characters that have now and come up with ideas.
As far as I can see from everyones' post,there was no attack,everyone just posted their opinion.Not agreeing does not equal attack.

AGREEEEEE. I'm not attacking you either Florry, simply disagreeing. But I do agree with everything you said greatfan. I do not see the point in bringing in new characters when the writers can't even write properly for the characters they already have. And I would settle for just throwing out whatever little we already know about a character in order for them to create something new and better for that character. That's almost as bad as just bringing in a new character anyway. It's completely unfair to the fans of these particular characters to have to sit back and watch as their favourite characters do nothing.

It's not a matter of loving them or adoring them as you put it Florry, it's simply a matter of being a fan. I don't think any of us here are IN love with Ryan or Natalia, but we're fans of the characters not to mention the actors and it'd be nice for the fans of these characters to once in a while have something to be excited about (which Natalia/Eva fans hardly ever get to do at all) and not the same old same old like Ryan fans have to deal with.

You said this Florry:
What I am trying to say (possibly without getting boos because of it :p ) is: look, we have bad writers who don’t know how to handle their own creatures, how can you want them to create something new/refreshing for the characters they keep ignoring or better say ridiculing?????
Wouldn't they do the exact same thing to a new character? Maybe yes, if they brought in a new character the bad light would be off the characters they're ignoring or "ridiculing", but it wouldn't be fixing anything. In my opinion it'd just be making things worse. They'd bring in a new character to ridicule and the other characters would get nothing at all. I AM tired of the crappy things they put Ryan through, but I'd take those things over not seeing him at all. As for Natalia well I can't really say anything because aside from the tiny mole storyline and her ex-husband thing, she's had nothing. It's sad that characters that have been around so long get the crap that they do. Sure, they might not be part of the original three, but why does that mean that those three get all the stories? And I haven't even said anything about FRANK. He's been there almost as long as Calleigh, Eric, and Horatio and he still gets ignored. The only reason I don't say anything about Valera is because she's not in the credits, they've never implied doing anything with her other than having her as a lab rat, and honestly she's just not one of the main characters to me.

I just think bringing in a new character would make things worse, not better. TPTB need to work on making the characters they already have better, before bringing in fresh characters. I'd be fine with them bringing in new characters as long as the old characters were still at the forefront and are not still getting the same old things we've seen ten million times already. I wouldn't want any new characters if they were just going to end up the same way as our already unfortunate characters. That, would just be sad... :rolleyes:

Back