Ryan/Jon # 18: Why can't we cap our dreams?

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by starzsgirl, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Strangely enough,I never saw how people thought Calleigh and Delko were getting married.That scene was clearly them working on the case (to me).For some reason I also just felt the text tied to H.Until recently I never paid attention to the commercials or any type of hype at all. When the season ended ,it was just over until Sept.Come Sept.,I hope we know and I hope it's not a bet.I would like TPTB to give Ryan a more positive image.

2. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

The promo for that ep was edited to look like Eric and Calleigh were getting married in effect they were just working on the case. Editing can play a huge part in what people think will happen in the show.

While it would be nice for Ryan to have a more positive spin, but they way they have been writing him is the one who will stop at nothing to get things done. He started out that way. Even leaving Eric in the water to get the evidence to H and took the credit, and didn't say anything about the help. He has grea intentions but something gets mixed up in the applications. That's why I think he's playing undercover double agent, he's got something up his sleeve and if it's going to the dark side that would make it quite interesting.

3. greatfan

greatfan Captain

When he started,he was precise. It then turned into the stop at nothing attitude which is seen by some as backstabbing .I do think he will more than likely be playing undercover double agent,but he can still have a positive image.I also think he has something up is sleeves,but the character doen't have to be trashed to accomplish this. Quite a few people think of Ryan as sneaky and not trust worthy and that is not the image projected in the very early episodes.

4. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I never bought that for a second. When I saw that promo, I just figured it was Delko fantasizing. :lol:

I have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. It would not be interesting for me one iota. The gambling thing IMO was played out a long time ago with Warrick on LV. I don't think we need a repeat storyline of that with Ryan. And it would be completely crazy on the writers part to make Ryan go against H when he's said time and again how much he owes H for going to bat for him and getting him his job back. No dark side for Ryan please. None at all. I want him to be a hero. If they make him a bad guy, that's it for me. I will NOT be watching Miami anymore... ever! Plus, they've already done this with Cooper. I liked Cooper and they totally ruined that character. I do NOT want them to do that with my Ryan. He's my fave and basically the only reason I started watching Miami again full time.

I want them to make Ryan sweet again. Like he was way back when he was helping that nanny with baby Bethany. He asked H to make a call to keep that baby from being neglected by its parents or whatever. That's the way Ryan was originally written. They just threw in the gambling thing to "shake things up", but it was the wrong thing cause they were basically recycling Warrick's storyline from Season ONe of Vegas. Only Ryan just broke protocol while Warrick was gambling on company time and got a CSI rookie killed cause he left her alone at the crime scene.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2008
  5. Zelda49

Zelda49 Rookie

Thank you! I thought the same thing...or that he was having issues with the bullet fragment still in his head.

This I have to agree with, too, although I'm getting more abstract (and probably less attached as a result) with the characters. I think it might be interesting to see Ryan pull an Anniken Skywalker...but it wouldn't make any sense. And the gambling thing has been done to death, and not just on the CSIs. It's almost like for a while there that was the "in" problem to have. What happened to the sweet (if a little over-zealous) Ryan from before?

6. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

The thing is people change, no matter how hard other try to keep them from doing so, and that is what the writers have done with Ryan. As much as we don't want it to happen it has and it's going to keep going that way until they have achieved the goal they want.

I'm being a realist here and if they change the charater and perhaps Ryan goes to the dark side, a true fan wouldn't give up. They would support their favorite character no matter what what happens.

CSI has always recycled storylines between the three shows, that's a fact very well known since the early seasons of each. If they want to keep interest they are going to use what has been effective before, sadly. The gambling was overdone, but they had to effectively pass it off as going on for a while. Trying to add an air or reality to the characters is a very reassuring that the writers care about what they put out.

I still think Ryan moving to the dark side and becoming a bad cop/CSI might prove to be a lift the show needs. It's become too shiney and focused on people and places that most have never been to or don't care to see. What happened to the lower classes that they delt with in the early eps? Turned in for the shiney upper class who have the money and all the showy objects like cars and boats. Typical Miami fodder which could be resolved with a darker storyline.

7. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  8. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

There have been no statement on where the writers want to point Ryan. For all we know they want to confuse the viewers and then boom the answer will be revealed. How do you know the goal they want to achieve?

And this is where I have to wholeheartedly disagree, a fan (to me at least) sticks with a character no matter what pit falls they encounter and how they are portrayed. As for the actors persay, they know that some characters have limited time and some stick around for longer. After a while playing the same thing over and over get boring, many ask the writers to spice things up. I'd rather have something interesting than seeing the same thing week after week. And if a character gets killed off, like Speed for example, then that is either the wish of the actor because they are leaving or because that is where the storyline was meant to head. Yes it's sad but that means they can move on the bigger things. And if Jon makes a choice, perhaps to leave the show, then he's open to do othe rprojects. Another thing that a fan would be greatful for.

I'm having a hard time seeing how CSI compares to a cartoon, perhaps you could expand.

On the badcop/CSI idea, it would add something different for the character of Ryan. We've seen him innocent, persistant, and even overcompensating like he's almost going though different emotional cycles. Eventually everyone his the perverable wall, inturn their breaking point. Something this sends them over the edge and they do things they know about bad but it makes up for what they are lacking. Ryan has been left open to so much speculation about his range of work compentiency and interactions that it's hard to find the real Ryan anymore. Giving him a different angle might be able to open other doors to his past, as well as how he thinks and works. And even if that bad cop/CSI storyline came about, did it's thing, and then died there are many other places where they could take Ryan, provided that is where the writers would want to go. The possibilites are endless and it's all up to the writers, who I find to be capable people, just focused too much on certian aspects and needing to see that there is a broad spectrum of options.

9. greatfan

greatfan Captain

Hi wolfesgamegirl
    For some reason,I logged in and responded twice to your post,but found I was not logged in once I was finished with the reply.Anyway I am a big fan of both Jon Togo and the character Ryan.I don't know the goal of the writers but I do feel the character was not well defined in the first place and is becoming murkier.I've also decided because it's only on message boards that bad cop/CSI has been bought up,I didn't need to get worked up about it.I do agree that the writers have focused on too much on certain aspects.
    My response that didn't take was a lot more detailed,but I reminded myself it's TV,not life or death so this is the short response.I also didn't feel like doing it a 3rd time,some things(or responses) aren't meant to be.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Yeah, if you're a true fan of the SHOW as a whole you'd stick around, but when your favorite character is constantly dumped on? Some people can't stand to see that happen.

Let's use an analogy here: If you had a friend whose boyfriend/girlfriend/sibling, etc constantly dumped on them and put them down, treated them badly, etc. would you just sit there and stay there while it happened? Most people would speak up and try to make things change. When a show is doing something you don't like, emough people shutting it off (causing the ratings to drop drastically) and writing letters to the producers, writers, etc expressing your dislike over what they are doing to your favorite character, that's the only way to get through to them that you want the crap to stop! Period! You can't just sit there and watch and stay silent about it no matter what and let it continue. If you don't speak out one way or another, nothing ever changes.

BTW, I don't think that if one were to quit watching (because the writers have constantly dumped on Ryan) that it would mean that the particular person wasn't a true Ryan/Jonathan fan ... just a fan that's so disgusted with the way their fave character (and in some cases, actor) is treated.

I feel that Ryan was kind of in a difficult position to begin with (and Jonathan as well). It's always difficult to be the one who comes in to replace a fan favorite like Speedle, Warrick, Sara, etc... Some people instantly hate the newcomer cause they took their favorite's place. And then to write the newcoming character as a possible bad guy? That's just unfair IMO. It's like he hasn't gotten a fair chance.

If it was in character to make someone that way, it'd be one thing. But, after having made a point of Ryan saying that he owes H for going to bat for him... it would be completely OOC for them to make him suddenly betray Horatio in the worst possible way. Taking complete credit for something that someone else helped you do is one thing, but plotting to kill the man that went to bat for you and got your job back is something completely different. It's OOC and its a complete slap in the face to Ryan as a character, to fans, etc. It's just wrong... and I won't be watching anymore if that's the case. I just couldn't stomach it. And that doesn't make me any less of a Ryan/Jonathan fan. If the character is destroyed beyond the point of being able to be recognized, to the point where none of the good qualities of the character exist anymore, what is the point of watching? I couldn't do it... and that does not in any way mean that I'm not a true fan of the character nor does it mean that I'm not a true supporter of Jonathan. Sometimes the best way to support someone is to stand up and speak out and do something to make a difference rather than stay silent and let the horror continue.

I'm not saying that the writers will do this to the character because (for one, I do not know 100% obviously) and 2) I really feel (and hope) that he's just helping Horatio. But, all I'm saying is that if they did make Ryan bad, that'd be too much for me to handle. It already has ticked me off the way they killed Speedle off (they could have come up with a better way than to make him have a second issue with not cleaning his gun properly- he would have learned his lesson the first time) then with the whole Ryan gambling and getting fired thing... and making Cooper a bad guy the way they did... and now something else to give the Ryan haters more fuel. It's just too much.

How could someone support a character who has turned evil though? Ryan is NOT Spike! It won't work the way it did with Spike. With Spike it was good or bad, you loved him anyway.... you couldn't help but not. But, BTVS was a much different type of show... it was fantasy. Vampires, werewolves, demons, etc... that's all fantasy. People killing people, robbing banks, etc... that's stuff that really happens. Miami is supposed to be a much mroe realistic show than BTVS. So, making one character turn on the other in that they'd plot to kill them? That would NOT make that character loved anymore. That would either A) Make the former fans of that character decide not to me be a fan of that character anymore or B) Make the fans of the way the character was in the beginning [ie a good, sweet, decent, but misunderstood guy who was a little ambitious and sometimes forgot his manners a little like with taking all the credit and all] stop watching because they are completely disgusted with how their fave has been destroyed by writers. Also, with Spike, you could justify his bad behavior. ie: he's a vampire, has a demon in him that does the bad things, he can't really help it, he has no soul, etc... No matter how true a fan you are of a character like Ryan, there'd be no way to justify rationally a reason for him to betray the man who went to bat for him and got him his job back. To me, that wouldn't be Ryan. That would be more like invasion of the body snatchers. :lol:

:wtf: Huh? Why does the show need a lift? It's the #1 most watched show! Surprising, but true. :lol:

:lol: That thought crossed my mind as well.

And if that were the case, then fine. That's why I wasn't 100% upset that they killed Speedle off... because the actor wanted to pursue other projects. I'm just miffed at the way they did it with the gun not being clean. They could have just left it at the other guy was a faster draw. :lol: or faster shooter one. :lol: But, its been said that Jonathan has said he doesn't want to leave Miami and would like to do the show for as long as its on. So, that particular scenario doesn't seem to apply to him.

I am a HUGE Jonathan Togo fan as well as a HUGE Ryan Wolfe fan, but I refuse to watch my fave character(s) being throw out with the trash... which is basically IMO what they'd be doing with Ryan if they made him that bad of a guy. A little thing here and there (gambling or whatever) is one thing, but to completely destroy his character by making him a murderer, would just be way too much... it be going way too far. That's the way I feel about it. Now if someone hurt someone in his family or his gf or whatever and he went out and killed them, then maybe it could be justified to a point... but H is the reason Ryan got his job back. So, to plot to kill him... how on earth could that be justified?

11. greatfan

greatfan Captain

You voiced so many of my thoughts,even down to trashing the character.
    Thank you!

12. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

The show has been dragging with story lines for the past 2 seasons. A different storyline would bring a fresh perspective, and perhaps something new about the characters. I could care less where it's ranked over all, the content is more appealing than ratings, to me anyways.

And people have to remember that this is a tv show about fictional characters. Yes it can get annoying when the favorite character (Ryan) is consistantly on the chopping block, but going crazy over it and demanding people do something is going too far. Take a step back and realize that this isn't real life and nothing dire will happen.

Seriously...my bad cop/CSI theroy was just that...a theory about what I would like to see happen, people are getting way too worked up about an opinion. Just because this is something I want to see doesn't mean it's going to be a popular idea, though I could care less about that, but to keep jumping on me for having this opinion is getting really old.

I like Ryan, have since he appeared in Season 3, but sometimes characters need to change to keep things interesting. Repetition can only go so far before things become static and boring. Ryan needs some spicing up and a whole differently angled storyline, IMHO.

Ryan didn't show up until halfway though the finale ep, that in itself was very annoying, hence the reason to give him a bigger chunk of storyline.

Again I will state that there have been no physical evidence that Ryan had anything to do with what happened to H. I feel that H brought that on himself and Ryan's text message had nothing to do with it. It's probably his evidence getting done with testing in the lab. Cliffhangers can be a blessing and a curse, leaving a lot to theories but also wonderment of what could happen.

Please site your source as I would like to see this is print, the only way I believe anything that has to do with actors whom I follow.

Also that scenario was used as an example to back up what I was saying.

13. ILuvJonathanTogo

ILuvJonathanTogo Coroner

I respect your opinion, but I'm thinking a little differently. Ryan could still have "spicy" storylines without going dark. To me, him going dark would be kind of random because he really has no reason (that we know of) to do so. I think Eric going dark would make a lot more sense (frustration over his injuries and his past conflicts). Thats just my opinion though.

14. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Ryan has pent up anger as well, losing his job, making mistakes, and even being treated as a second rate person. So in my eyes him choosing to do something different wouldn't be too far fetched, therefore keeping the character form hitting the static points and never changing.

He could also pull from something that happened to him as a child, which would give a very over due look into his past.

15. ILuvJonathanTogo

ILuvJonathanTogo Coroner

While those would make him pretty angry, I just don't see something miniscule (compared to almost dying and everyone kind of babying and judging you because of your injures- like Eric) turning him dark. I just don't see that in Ryan.

Also about him doing something different, I agree that there should be a little change but him turning around and backstabbing people/going bad (In my opinion) wouldn't be "different"..that would just be like desperate drama from TPTB. I'm sure they think of something to please all of us :lol:

That's an interesting idea. It would definitely be nice to see something from his past come up but again, I don't see it turning him dark. But a few cool storylines (not too dramatic) should definitely come up about his past. That would be great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.