Running

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Calihan, Jul 15, 2007.

1. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

I am in my running gear and I am gonna take off in a minute. Haven't done it in a while and Kung fu has stopped for the summer too.. I am in such a poor shape after two knee surgeries! But we'll see how bad when I get back... Anyone else still/gonna run?

ETA: back again
    out of the blue and I am kinda short of breath at the moment.. In the spring/summer always short of breath because I can't stand the season. Allergies and stuff... And it's pretty bad at the moment. I did run 22 minutes in total out of 30 minutes...
    3-7-7-3-2 minutes each serie with 2 minutes of walking in between.
    Not a bad start!

2. AshleyFirst223

AshleyFirst223 Pathologist

I run every morning around 6 AM because I run when it's cooler out. Plus, jogging allows me to think about whatever's on my mind. I do a 15 minute jog usually. More when I know I'm just going to sit around and less when I have tennis practice.

I love to jog because it makes me feel healthier.

I feel like taking a jog right now. Maybe I will.

3. Hey guys!

Well, I love sports and running happens to be one of them! I run for my high school's cross-country team and also the track team. It's really challenging because of the differences between sprinting and distance running, but I enjoy the difficulty.

I run Mondays-Saturdays and take walks on Sundays after church. There's a track at a park about 2 miles from my house and I run to, on, and from the track when I go out for my daily route. I start my runs at about 6 a.m, when it’s still pretty cool outside, and usually get between 8-12 miles done, 4 miles coming from my trip to and from the park. Whenever I have school, I run around my neighborhood for 30 minutes in the morning, and when I get home, I go until I feel like it...usually depends on if I have plans, which I do most of the time.

Anyhow, I usually run to relax, think, or train especially when I have my music with me. I happen to find it to be quite refreshing and after getting my breathing regulated, I feel more energized than ever.

I have had to participate in the Cooper Test, PACER Fitness Test, and the National and Presidential Physical Fitness Challenge at my schools.

Laters…

Luv yall...

4. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

I used to love running. I still don;t mind but me being in a really bad shapes makes it harder. I can't seem to control my breathing yet. It will come I guess. I did notice that I still love to run even if it is hard so I guess in a while it will becoe a lil easier when I do get in shape and my body gets used to running again. My friend started to run as well. She has a goal in mind... She wants to run 1/4th of a marathon next April.. If around that time it seemsthat I will also be able to do that maybe I'll join her but I doubt that!

5. Chadini

Chadini Witness

I am getting ready to start running again, because I am tired of feeling like a bum. Anyone have any thoughts on what a good goal for a couch potato would be? How far and how long? Thanks!

6. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

7. Chadini

Chadini Witness

8. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

If you think at a certain point that it is to much just do some weeks double. Don't rush it. Your weight also makes a difference... How much you have been active with sports previous etc.

9. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

Anyone still running? I tried to start this summer but stopped again. I picked it up again a while back.

I used these podcasts to go out and running! Click
    I am at week 4 for now. I think these podcasts are great t start again. From week 5 I do devide these podcasts weeks because they are going to fast from 5 minutes runs to 20.. But if you combine them with week 6.. The 8 minutes and 10 minutes walks it is a great podcast!

Mayve it helps someone else to to get started!

10. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

So where did all the runners go?!

I started to run again 2 weeks ago, and have to say that it's a great way to relieve some stress during these bloody exams.
    Today I went running in the pouring rain and I loved it :D The rain cooling you down while you're sweating your ass off :p
    I ran for about 30 minutes with Muse blaring through my headphones. :D

So just wondering, what weather do you prefer the most to run in? Oh, and do you listen to music while running? I'm curious for some good running songs.

11. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

^^^I've done the same thing Hush and started running while I had exams.

And I've got to agree that pouring rain with music blaring in your ears is the best way to do it :D

12. CSIsMANIAC

CSIsMANIAC Captain

I used to run a lot. Probably some months back. Now I'm trying to kick in some of my old habits of running but I've been having bouts of nausea and I get light-headed easily. It's simply frustrating so I stopped trying. I've been thinking that it might be due to the lack of food or something but I followed the same routine I had back then but this time, it keeps backfiring. I don't know what's wrong. :S I'm not a smoker or asthmatic. But I really wish to run again. :( I think what I need is discipline. :p

13. _Hush_

_Hush_ Winchester Inc.

I've had the same problem as you, CSIsMANIAC.
    I used to be a really good runner, but I've been slacking the last 2 years (untill about 5 weeks ago :D). The thing is, you can't start running again like you used to. You have to start slow. There are these start to run-programs you can use to start over again. That way you don't force your body into doing something it isn't used to doing anymore, and you won't get nauseas.

I'm quite the asthmatic, so the other day I asked a doctor for some tips so I wouldn't get breathing problems. And he gave me loads of tips:
    1. Don't start too fast. Give your body time to adjust and to create muscles again. If not, your body will protest and you'll be in a whole lot of pain.
    2. Stretch. Very important before and after you run so you won't get sore the day after. Also, you won't pull a muscle very easily if you stretched.
    3. For asthmatics specially then, take your meds before running.
    4. Also especially for asthmatics, but good for everyone. Try to breathe through your nose. By the time the air get to your lungs it will be warmer then when it comes from your mouth. Cold air = bad for lungs.
    5. Take a day off between runs. Your muscles need to recover once in a while. Give them time to do that.
    6. Stay dry. Especially your feet and your back. Nothing worse then keeping wet clothes on. Running in the rain is fine, as long as you keep your lungs protected, and that you keep warm (and dry!) afterwards.

That's all I remember for now ;)

Try to keep running, CSIsMANIAC and Natty!
    What else is there to do when there are no more CSI's to watch? :p

14. CSIsMANIAC

CSIsMANIAC Captain

Yes Hush! I will take your tips into account and strive to run again. I probably should stop sleeping late. Reading books can really keep me up all night. Hahaha! The Opposite of making me fall asleep.

Yeah! Running is great to release andorphines. Let's keep running!

15. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I don't run, I go power walking, does this count on this thread? I walk 2 miles a day and listen to my IPod while walking. It helps relieve stress, gives me some time to myself (the hubby is home watching the kids) and has helped me lose 13 lbs.