Running

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Calihan, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Calihan

Calihan Captain

I recently tried running again and for the first time actually liked it. Since we have threads for practically every other physical activity (except the really fun one because of the PG13 rule :lol:) I figured we should have one for running. Who else on here runs, for how long, how often, etc.

I had a question for a runner yesterday when I was doing my first real run I got a horrible pain on my right side. I though it could have been my appendix the pain was that bad. When I asked my mom who runs marathons she said it was stitch and had something to do with breathing but she didn't know ho to avoid it. Do any of you know what to do in order to prevent/deal with the pain quickly.

2. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

I am gonna start monday again since my kung fu school holds a summer stop :p But my weakest point is my shape!

The pain I thought was caused by eating right in front of running. but I am not sure. Make sure you wat light but enough and some time before running!

3. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

Well if you haven't run for a while, you get that. I mean I barely run because of my asthma and I know I'm in bad shape with that and if I run (of course my lungs make me stop first) and then you get that pain.

So yeah... it is because of beathing because the more you ruun, you get better everytime and your lungs gets used to it as well and breathing gets easier and you can run more.

I don't know does intervall running help to it, I've done it a lot (lungs again). It's like you run for 400m and then walk 100m then again running and walking and running and walking.

4. Calihan

Calihan Captain

That's what I've been doing to try and go farther than if I was running the entire way.

About the pain from breathing even when I stop and walk for a short time it is worse than it is running.

5. CSI_Duquesne01

CSI_Duquesne01 CSI Level Two

I run like everyday and it totally shows! My thighs are tighter than they used to be. So I'm keeping up my game.

6. Tinkerbell

Tinkerbell Head of the Swing Shift

I used to go running a few years ago and I loved it so much, for some bizarre reason I stopped. I didn't seem to have much time for it anymore and I cut back to about 3 times a week, and then 2, then 1, and then I stopped.

Running is such an amazing exercise and really enjoyable! When I used to get pissed off about anything, I would just put on my Nikes and go for a run, it totally let out any frustration I had. I kept meaning to start up again, but I just didn't have the energy for it. I started again a few weeks ago because I have a medical assessment next week and I need to up my stamina, but after the medical I'm going to carry on with it. :D

7. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Hmm, I'm really lazy. But randomly in gym I started to love running the track. It gave me such a boost of engery. I'm always better at sprints, though. Like I did that in track and field but when you just run for exercise with no pressure it's actually really fun.

8. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

I used to go running last year, but I've become very lazy... I'm not good at it because of my asthma, but it would be really good to start running again I guess. But when I got my horse I was so busy I didn't find the time. I ride 4 times a week, I think that should be enough. But on the other hand it's just so much fun running between the fields and listen to music. My fave song: "All the roadrunning" by Mark Knopfler *LOL* And if it's all for nothing, all the roadrunning has been in vain... :D

9. Kit4na

Kit4na CSI Level Two

I always heard that if you have pain in your side while running you have to make a fist. But your thumb has to be in the middle while the rest of your fingers make a fist around it. I hope u get what I mean :p My gym teacher she just told me that so I'd quit whining :lol:

In the beginning of the schoolyear we have to practice for a 40minute run. But I always quit after 5 minutes.. I'd do it just to piss my teacher off. O well when the 40 minutes test is there I do it but I can't say I like it.. I'm always exhausted after and sometimes I feel like I could crash to the ground. I can barely walk a straight line or I see black infront of my eyes. I've got a low blood pressure.. and I think I'm on my way to get diabetes (runs in the family). Sometimes It takes days for me to recover from that.

Last time I went running I came back home, settled in my couch. After x minutes I got this splitting headace and I couldn't see ANYTHING with my left eye. So I prefer to do some cycling cause that's less tiring or do some fitness @ home.. than I can control how long and how intense i do it

10. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

40 MINUTES? We had to do a 12 minute run and everyone was DEAD after. How in the world did you do a 40 minute run. :/

11. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

^^ Oh the lovely Cooper test! I never had to run it, because of my asthma :p Despite the fact I was athlete back then and quite good one :lol:

12. SandleDL

SandleDL CSI Level One

In my 12th year at school we had a sports teacher who was a runner himself, so he proposed to do running as a part of the sports lessons. We ran in a forest and there were 3 different paths, a short one, a medium one, a long one. He didn't even control us, and no one was really forced to run, you just had to be back in time ;) Well my friend convinced me to do the medium path, and one day our teacher joined us - I couldn't give up! We ran 35 min quite fast, damn I was so exhausted afterwards and had a pulse of 180 - but it felt good! (My pulse always gets very high but gets low quite soon.) When I want running alone, though, it was only about 25 min.

13. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

The coopertest is so damn international I see... How about the shuttlerun test? The ones with the beeps?

I used to be an excellent runner. Know two knee surgeries later my shape ****** :lol: Fill out word of choice :rolleyes:

14. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

I did a cuppertest every month while I was in High School. About the shuttlerun test, if you explain it maybe you'll get more people that do it or did it. Names use to change in every country. I don't remember any test including a beep :confused:

15. SaraSidle_girl

SaraSidle_girl Pathologist

I HATE cooper tests! I had to them every month in High School and every time I felt like killing my bloody teacher!
    And the beep... just hearing that same beep makes me go insane.. I am officially traumatised!