Ratings: CSI vs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: CSI Ratings versus Grey's Anatomy

I can't believe how early most shows ran reruns this year. I can understand around the major holidays but the shows just debuted in the 3rd week of September.

It's probably just because they don't want to have to compete with the World Series.

I wonder if, now that Marissa is dead and the show is watchable again (I mean, really, Melinda Clarke grieving in red heels is going to be hilarious) the teen audience that's adding to Grey's pool might drain a little if they switch over.

Since CSI has been losing the 18-49 market, it kind of suggests that their steady fanbase is not the ones who watch shows like the OC in the first place.

And if GSR really has dropped the ratings, I imagine a lot of Melinda fans might switch as well.

Guess we'll just have to see. Does the OC premiere this week?

A lot of teens were pissed off cuz they killed Marissa in The OC, most viewers really love the Marissa/Summer tandem but we'll see.. who knows their premiere on 11/2 might do well.

Re: USA Today: I didn't notice any article/analysis about the CSI-GA ratings.. their October article just stated that Nielsens now include the DVR playbacks in the ratings computation and that both CSI and GA (plus some other shows like Lost and House) got ratings boosts because of it.

Another ratings tidbit for 7x05 Double Cross:
"October 19, 2006:
'Based on the preliminary numbers, CBS C.S.I. delivered its smallest audience for a regular original telecast of the series since October 2001 and lowest Adult 18-49 number since May 2004 since 10/4/01 and 5/6/04.'"

i dont think the oc premiering this week will draw teen viewers away from greys, their ratings over the past few seasons are a very small fraction of what they used to be.
thats surprising to me that double cross did so bad, next to fannysmacking i think it was one of the best so far. it felt like they were getting back to the way things used to be. they just need to stick to what they do best and theyll be fine. the science, the crimes, the characters (but enough of making them victims please!) thats what matters, and if they continue doing that whether theyre number 1 or number 100 ill be happy :D

I think the 2004 figure had to do with Friends ending, and Double Cross was, I believe, up against one of the deciding World Series games as well.
ETA

A quick thought:

Nielsen stops counter viewers at 49. It's been known that while CSI did win the 18-49 demographic a lot in the past, that a good portion of its viewers are middle-aged people.

Partly, perhaps, because its mains are middle-aged. But what if the decline in the ratings partially has to do with some of the Nielsen people who watched literally falling into obscurity because of the age line?

But how come Grey's wasn't affected with the playoffs, in fact their men demographic ratings improved.

Nielsen stops counter viewers at 49.

Uhm where did you get this? Nielsen also includes the adults 25-54 demo/age bracket.. I've read it even on the CBS ratings press releases.
This is an excerpt from CBS Weekly Ratings press release:
National Nielsen Ratings: PRIMETIME - WEEKLY RANK for Demographic: A2554 for 10/16/06 - 10/22/06
Adults 25-54
1 Grey's Anatomy-Thursday 9PM ABC 10.3
2 Desperate Housewives ABC 9.2
3 CSI CBS 8.3

In the Futon critic ratings/News page I also saw that Nielsens also classify the ratings according to the men/women demo and both 18-49 and 25-54 age bracket.

Thanks, Hottie - I forgot about the 54 number.

But a lot of those in their mid-to-late 50s have admitted watching CSI, especially for WP. I'm just saying as the show goes on, they won't be counted if they were once Nielsen homes.

But how come Grey's wasn't affected with the playoffs, in fact their men demographic ratings improved.

T.R. Knight fans, perhaps? Oh, I kid. I love T.R. He's hands-down my favorite Grey's character.

Which doesn't say much, so I'll just say that I love him a ton.

Okay - last night, CSI was up half a million from Double-Crossed, and Grey's was down a million. They were separated by roughly 400,000 viewers.

hodges_alias_47 said:
With all due respect to kissmesweet, I'm not a big fan of GA. It's just a soap opera set in a hospital, filled with people sleeping with each other, shown during primetime.

I have to agree with you.

I love CSI and shall always love it.

I think what most people are doing is comparing CSIs ratings now to the rating from the Finlae of Season 5 (40million viewers) but that finale had everyoen who wasn't a fan of CSI and had never watched it ever before. Why, QUENTIN TARINTINO!

Well, that is my view atleast and I ahve to say, I think that CSI beats Grey's Anatomy any day. Whenever my friends start talking about Grey's Anatomy, I say 'Bye, bye, I am gone!' Because I stopped watching soapies for a reason and GA is just ANOTHER soapie.

Sorry to all those who like GA.

SA Kate 937,

Most people are comparing the ratings this year to last......one of the articles (yahoo news) concerning ratings quoted Nov. 3, 2005 and Nov. 2, 2006. CSI was down 27%

I think the biggest mistake TMTB are making is trying to compete with GA in it's own format. CSI was much better when they concentrated on the cases and let the 'shippy' moments fall where it seemed right - no matter what 'ship' it was......not knowing about the character's personal life was a bonus.

I think that expecting CSI to have 28 million viewers when its up against a show that also pulls in 20 million is a little impossible. This time last year, there wasn't another show in CSI's timeslot that had any kind of buzz.

Thank you SA Kate 937. I do that all the time. Everytime I hear someone ask me if I saw GA, I always ignore or tell them that I didn't. I always I want to say ... "No, I'm not an idiot."

(Don't know I can say that)

^^the reason there is now a show in the same time slot that pulls in 20+ million viewers is because of the direction the show took last year. another network saw a weakness in the change and took a chance that is paying off.

^^the reason there is now a show in the same time slot that pulls in 20+ million viewers is because of the direction the show took last year. another network saw a weakness in the change and took a chance that is paying off.

But hasn't it been frequently stated that CSI did what it did last year because Grey's was moving?

Which is it? The chicken or the egg?

ETA

Bottom line for me is this: Grey's has lost viewers every single week. Is it still number one? Yes. But for how long? Even Desperate Housewives could sneak up and take its place - the top three shows are barely beating one-another from the latest Nielsen's. Dancing with the Stars could be number one for all we know.

CSI is better than it's been in years. And whether it's because of the change in direction or not, it doesn't matter. The stories are fresher, the cases more interesting, the victims more sympathetic, the criminals more complex...

it's an excellent show, where it was just passable last season with a handful of exceptions.

I'd rather focus on that. Quality is always better than quantity.

I agree, quality is better than quantity, and CSI is bringing the quality, for me, it always has, plus like many critics, industry people and others have said, any show that brings in 20 million people has got to be good and even if it's not in first place, that is a huge chunk of the audience and even if it's not number one, that amount of viewers still makes the stuidios very very happy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back