Ratings: CSI vs ... Part 2

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Lucy, May 28, 2007.

1. Lucy

Lucy Colonial Fleet Librarian Premium Member

I don't venture over here very often, but thought I would say Hi to Tally and D and post this new thread while I was here. ;) Even though this thread was going to reappear with the new season of CSI in September, we thought we might as well start it now as the previous thread generated good discussion and seemed popular.

So, without further ado....

Link to 'CSI vs...Part 1'

This thread is for discussions of the ratings for CSI and any show that it goes up against on Thursday nights only. This does not include the "spike" airings.

-Please remember everyone is entitled to their opinions.
    -The ship discussion rule remains as in the last thread.
    -Any Charts/Pics should be done via URL linkable.
    -In general all rules apply here as they did in the other thread.

Happy posting! :)

2. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Thank you Lucy nicely done and as she said we decided to keep it going, so congrads on Part two new thread.

3. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

CSI came fifth for the week in Nielsen Ratings (7th for viewers) with a repeat of Happenstance, garenering 13.792 million viewers. In first and second was the finale of American Idol, and third and fourth belonged to the finale of Dancing with the Stars (as both air on two different nights with the competition and then the results). That makes CSI the highest-rated scripted program of the week.

Here is the full list in terms of viewers. CSI was fifth in terms of ratings, and seventh for the audience in total. Neither of Grey's Thursday night repeats made it into the Top 20.

1. "American Idol" (Wednesday), Fox, 30.74 million viewers.

2. "American Idol" (Tuesday), Fox, 25.33 million viewers.

3. "Dancing With the Stars Results" (Tuesday)," ABC, 22.96 million viewers.

4. "Dancing With the Stars" (Monday), ABC, 20.19 million viewers.

5. "NCIS," CBS, 14.14 million viewers.

6. "Lost," ABC, 13.86 million viewers.

7. "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," CBS, 13.79 million viewers.

8. "Heroes," NBC, 13.48 million viewers.

9. "CBS Tuesday Movie: Jesse Stone: Sea Change," CBS, 13.01 million viewers.

10. "The Bachelor," ABC, 12.67 million viewers.

11. "Two And a Half Men," (9:30 p.m.) CBS, 12.31 million viewers.

12. "Two And a Half Men," CBS, 11.82 million viewers.

13. "CSI: Miami," CBS, 11.51 million viewers.

14. "Shark," CBS, 11.03 million viewers.

15. "24," Fox, 10.3 million viewers.

16. "Law And Order: SVU," NBC, 10.28 million viewers.

17. "CSI: NY," CBS, 10.25 million viewers.

18. "Deal Or No Deal" (Monday), NBC, 9.87 million viewers.

19. "Criminal Minds," CBS, 9.57 million viewers.

20. "So You Think You Can Dance" (Thursday), Fox, 9.51 million viewers.

4. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

This is all thanks to Marc Berman:

FWIW, CSI was up against So You Think You Can Dance for the second week in a row, which it tied with.

CSI beat Grey's. No big surprise.

I'm aware people are tired of the "GSR is bringing down the ratings!" argument. Having said that, Happenstance last week - with the final GSR Pumpkin scene - got 13.792 million viewers. A repeat of Living Legend, which containted no GSR whatsoever got 11.99 million viewers.

I am not trying to theorize that GSR brings up the ratings. But I am saying that I'm interested to see how episodes with it fair when in repeats. The ironic thing about the Daltry episode is that it was the lowest-rated of the year. It went up against Thanksgiving, which obviously is going to drain some viewers, but it's curious that the fact that many didn't see it the first time didn't boost its repeat numbers. So because the expectation should be that lower-rated episodes during the year getting higher ones during repeats (and the fact that already that doesn't seem to be true), I'm going to leave out original vs. repeat comparisons because I think that it doesn't really prove much and people are just going to re-watch what they liked anyway, which they can't know till after the episode is over.

Now, I'm going through this huge long theory when in fact that biggest likelihood is just that the average person sees "repeat", but still.

This chart is purely for my entertainment, but given all of the talk about what drained ratings while the episodes were new and what would most definitely turn people off a second time around, I'm just going to do a repeat one for my own amusement - feel free to mock. lol.

Summer Repeats

1) Happenstance - 13.792 million viewers
    2) Living Legend - 11.99 million viewers - 13.1% drop

I think that while people could argue that you could see GSR in the promos or not, or you were turned off by GSR the previous week or not, if you are re-watching an episode you know has Grissom and Sara in it for sure, that's a horse of a different color *cue music*

5. gsrLOVE

gsrLOVE Pathologist

Wow. I like those ratings :eek: 11.99 million viewers? Oh yeah, and who can say Greys is really all that much better than CSI? :p

6. Maryse

Maryse Lab Technician

i actually watch both shows...they are different and i enjoy watching both of them but if i had to pick...it would be a no brainer...CSI! and the whole GSR is bringning down the ratings,.....come on! If it is...it is one of many factors...GSR or not i still enjoy it.

7. gsrLOVE

gsrLOVE Pathologist

Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. Happenstance was my favorite episode of the season. For 11 - 13 million viewers per repeat per summer? That's pretty darn good for a scripted show.

8. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Oh, I also need to mention, as I've been corrected on a couple of other sites, that Grey's was on at 10pm and not opposite CSI. Yet ironically their numbers were higher at 10pm this week than they were at 9pm last week. *shrug*

But yeah - CSI usually repeats very, very well, which is how it still wound up being TV's number one scripted show.

9. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

CSI placed second overall for the week of ratings, behind the season finale of House.

Nielsen Week of May 28

CSI had a final audience count of 12.091 million viewers for Living Legend.

Summer Repeats

2) Living Legend - 12.091 million viewers - 12.3% drop

10. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

My favorite Flying Monkey managed to find this article, which I thought I would share:

Nielsen Mentions CSI As One of the Shows Hit Hardest By DVR Recordings

11. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Summer Repeats

3) Law of Gravity - 10.07 million viewers - 18.1% drop

12. Hottie_Cath

Hottie_Cath Corpse

I thought last Thursday they showed Leaving Las Vegas? According to TFC:
    6/7/07 (Th.) 9:00 PM CBS (#711) Leaving Las Vegas (R)

Or did I miss the re-run of Law of Gravity?!?

13. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

Yeah, I missed it, so I went off of the csifiles.com page, but according to a couple of posters on YTDAW, it was Law of Gravity and not Leaving Las Vegas that aired last week.

Sorry! I was bummed, too, when I heard.

On the bright side, your avvie is awesome. lol.

14. sarahvma

sarahvma Captain

CSI is the fourth highest-rated episode of the week, behind America's Got Talent, Two and a Half Men and So You Think You Can Dance with 10.038 million viewers.

Nielsen

Summer Repeats

3) Law of Gravity - 10.038 million viewers - 17% drop

15. gsrLOVE

gsrLOVE Pathologist

Woo. Way to go CSI! The numbers are lower, but what can you expect for Summer Repeats? I think they're great being behind non-scripted shows. Well, minus Two and Half Men :lol: