Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #20- "Save Me From Myself"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Smokey, Dec 6, 2009.

1. AmySparkles

AmySparkles Dead on Arrival

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #15- "The Moment I Said It"

Me 2.. Then I started wondering about all the other possibilities.. :)
    I should have my reviews up very soon, I'm finishing up some assignments from college at the moment..

But I will say that I loved reading them.. :thumbsup: I liked the different interpretations too.. As usual I have no idea who wrote what.. :rolleyes:
    I'll have to start investigating.. :lol:

2. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

Watching Over You - Interesting story. You barely touch on scenes from the episodes, but rather fill in some in-between parts. I thought it was Haley too.. :)

Don't Leave Me - Good story! You really captured the bittersweet mixture of pride and sadness of a parent watching their child grow and become independent. Young Nick is so cute. :adore:

We Can Never Go Home - Wow. This was really powerful, and kind of scary. You really take the reader into how Nick is feeling.

3. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Time to reveal the authors! :)

Watching Over You - Raynn
    Don't Leave Me - NickyFan
    We Can Never Go Home - AmySparkles

Thanks again to all of you for writing! Now if you like you can publish your story elsewhere. And if you want you can put a little something here about how you came up with your story idea or anything else you want to tell us about it. :)

4. AmySparkles

Soooooo Sorry my reviews are late.... Really sorry... :alienblush:

Watching over you I totally think that it was Haley.. Sorry, I just thought I'd get that out.. :lol: I really liked this story, I loved how it was told from someone's perspective that was looking down on Nick.. I really liked how the speaker expressed themselves.. One line in particular got me..

'I know that lives are being saved, but at what cost to you?'

I just thought this line said a lot in just a few words, about how much he's been through and whether or not it has been good for him. Maybe he's been through enough? Anyways, Really good Job.. :thumbsup:

Don't Leave Me I love younger Nick stories, probably because were never gonna get them on the show.. Unless there's some random flashback some time.. :lol: Anyway, There were so many cute little moments in this.. I like that you took a moment that everyone goes through, and showed Nick's experience of it.. I loved the last line, I think it's exactly what everyone thinks when they leave home whether it's for college or moving out for the first time.. Good job dude :) :thumbsup:

We Can Never Go Home Well seen as how my reviews are late and the author's have been revealed I was thinking that I'd just kind of explain my story.. It took a while to write something that was based on the song, I now have 3 works in progress from this challenge.. :lol: Well, I liked that it started with Nick not knowing it was his friends in front of him and I kind of wanted to explore what would happen if Nick had accidentally killed someone.. I know it's kind of a dark place to bring him but I wanted to write about how something can just happen that wasn't ever supposed to, something that Nick couldn't be responsible for and wasn't even aware of.. I also liked writing Brass as the one to be Nick's saviour instead of the usual Grissom or Warrick.. My favourite line to write was Brass'

'Aw Kid, you did nothing. You hear me, nothing.’

I guess I could just totally imagine Nick and Brass in my head and there expressions and how sad the moment was.. Also I had a way longer version of this done that I had to cut it down, so I'm gonna give it a little thought before I post the full version on ff.net because there's a different ending in the longer version....

Thanks to everyone that participated, read and reviewed.. I really liked the other two stories, and we don't get enough new Nick fics.. :) :)

5. KFK

KFK Witness

First and foremost I want to apologize for not reviewing sooner. Things have been a little crazy around here, and I was unable to review the stories when first posted, but better late than never I suppose. Thank you authors for writing such wonderful stories, as always, job well done. :thumbsup:

Watching Over You- I loved this story, it gave a more in-depth look into the shooting and aftermath without being detail heavy. The story expressed Nick's emotions throughout those few days, and how it effected him. Like the other readers I also thought it was Haley watching over Nick, and that was a sweet thought. Great job Raynn. :)

Don't Leave Me- I love a walk back in time with Nick. As AmySparkles said it's something we'll never see on the show. The first section with Jillian realizing her nest was emptying was sad-sweet, and I imagine every parent feels that way. The second section where she reminisces about Nick's first day of school was perfect, and young Nick was so dang cute. I could picture this whole section in my mind. The last section was so bittersweet, a mom having to let go, and a son trying to comfort his mother. Well done Stef, I so enjoyed reading your story. :)

We Can Never Go Home- This was an intense story and very well written, I look forward to reading the longer version of it. I'd like to find out what happened to Nick beforehand, and what brought about the events of Nick standing over a dead body. The reactions of the team were spot-on, but I especially loved Brass' interaction with Nick. Great job Amysparkles, I look forward to more. :)

Thank you all for writing such wonderful stories, and for entertaining us. :thumbsup: Once again, I apologize for the late reviews, and I promise to do better in the future.

Take Care,

Kelli

6. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

First of all... thank you, Smokey for running the site and for organizing the challenge :thumbsup: I would have never even started writing if it wasn't for this challenge.

Secondly... thanks to all who reviewed the stories. Reviews are what the writer lives for. Every word is special to us :)

And here are a few words about my story...

"Don't Leave Me" was hard to write for me because I thought it had absolutely nothing to do with the chosen song for this challenge... I thought I wouldn't get a story done that would fit in. And then there was of course my very limited free time... I finished my story last minute, even though I changed the whole thing shortly before the deadline, since my original story would have been much too long. I kind of like it the way it is now.

Leaving is a hard thing to do... and since Nick is far away from his home I thought it must have been very hard for him to leave too. He is an emotional person and would be very said about leaving, I thought. But I put the main attention at Nick's mom here. We have no idea what our parents or grandparents thought when we had to leave home... the quietness when the kids are gone... no need to cook big things anymore because there is no one there to eat it...

Long story short, I tried to portray that feeling and tried to show that leaving isn't something that happens from one day to another, but something that starts pretty early when no one thinks about it as leaving and ends with the final good bye.

I just published my fic on ff.net :) You can check it out here, if you want.

7. Smokey

I'm ready to write again! :) I need some inspiration to get me going, so let's try another round!

Next person to post after me, pick a number.....1, 2, 3, or 4. :)

8. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

9. Smokey

Thanks for picking a number, Raynn! :)

It's time for Round 16 of the Nick Fic Song Challenge!

Remember, everyone reading the thread is welcome to submit a story! :)

And now the guidelines...PLEASE read them all carefully! If you have any questions, let me know here or via PM/email. Thanks! :)

1. Word limit on the fic is 2,500. Please remember to give the fic a title and a short summary (neither are counted in the word limit).

2. The only restrictions on the content of the fic are that Nick must be the main character and that the story must be based on the song lyrics (below). You can base your fic on the idea of the song, whole or in part, use some of the lyrics...whatever you want as long as the song is your inspiration. The fics will be presented later by way of a link, so there are no worries about mature content.

3. Please do not post your fic or any links here! Send your fic to me at the email in my profile (or you can PM it to me if it's short enough). If you email it, you can put it in the body of the email or send it as an attachment. Please put the title of your fic in the subject line of the PM or email. Deadline for submissions is Saturday, December 11, at midnight EST.

4. Submissions should be anonymous! Please do not share your story with anyone else or tell anyone which one is yours once they are posted!

5. If you would like to have someone beta (proofread) your story, please choose someone who is NOT a participant in this challenge. Or if you like, I will be happy to beta your story when you send it to me. :) Just let me know when you send it.

6. Once all of the stories are in, we will publish the links to them and everyone can start reading! [​IMG]

7. After you have read the fics, you can post feedback for them. I will post the feedback guidelines when we get the stories up.

And now your inspiration for this challenge! The song is "Never Let Me Down Again" by Depeche Mode, submitted by NickyFan! You can listen to it here. It's You Tube, so I hope everyone can see it. And here are the lyrics...

Never Let Me Down Again

written by Martin L. Gore

I'm taking a ride with my best friend
    I hope he never lets me down again
    He knows where he's taking me
    Taking me where I want to be

We're flying high
    We're watching the world pass us by
    Never want to come down
    Never want to put my feet back down on the ground

Promises me I'm as safe as houses
    As long as I remember who's wearing the trousers

We're flying high
    Never want to come down

We're flying high
    Never want to come down

Never let me down
    Never let me down
    Never let me down
    Never let me down

Remember, the most important thing is to be creative and have fun!! Try to think outside the box...do something out of the ordinary with it...use your imagination! And once again let me say, anything goes. You can ship, not ship, slash, not slash, angst, humor, romance, smut...whatever you want. We are just having fun here and being creative. All stories are welcome and encouraged. :)

Now start writing! :)

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Re: Nick Fic Song Challenge Thread #2- Ch #16- "Never Let Me Down Agai

Edited title.

I'm hoping I'll actually be able to write something this time, but I say that every time and I just can't seem to get anything to come out.

11. NickyFan

NickyFan Coroner

Oh wow, my song is picked! :D Well I wish I had made up my mind about what I would like to write for it though :lol:

No idea so far, but I'm sure I'll get something done :)

12. KFK

KFK Witness

I hope to join in and write a story, but I'm not sure. Right now, I'm reaching the end of the semester at school, and we're also in the process of moving my mother-in-law into a condo.

The end of the semester is the easy part, the move is more complicated. My mother-in-law is a legitimate and certified hoarder. Picture the hoarder episode on CSI, and cut it by 1/4, then you have what my husband and I are facing. We're praying we don't find any decomposing bodies, human or otherwise. Ewwwww, sick! I know...too much information. Sorry.

All of that being said, sick and otherwise, I will try to write a story for the challenge. Though lately, I find an absurd need to clean my entire house from top to bottom. I don't know what's got into me...uhmm...

Hope all is well with everyone else, and if you're looking for something to do over the holidays, I know of a house that needs some work...:) Just kiddin!

Take Care,

Kelli

13. Smokey

We've got about a week and a half to go before stories are due. I'm here to do my usual "is anyone writing anything?" post. :)

14. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

I'm in the midst of my usual.. got an idea immediately, wrote about 300 words, ran out of words.. now bouncing ideas around my head until the last minute pressure turns them into something resembling a coherent story..

I'm really terrible at writing anything longer than one scene or a few hundred words. :(

15. AmySparkles

Ehrmm, It's not looking good for me.. I don't think I'll be participating this time around.. :(

It's getting close to the end of semester in college, so it's assignments and presentations ahoy.. :rolleyes: Plus I'm working on a portfolio for next year, which is taking up most of my spare time..

But.. I am currently snowed in.. It's crazy here, I don't think its ever snowed this early in the year before, its started last Saturday and it's still really heavy.. None of the buses are coming near where I live, but I can't complain.. I love snow.. :thumbsup: hehe..

So ya never know, If get bored with college stuff I may do a rush job on a story.. :lol: Hopefully I can, I really enjoy writing Nick Fic's.. :)

Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with.. :thumbsup:

Well, I'm off to catch up on some fics.. I believe there's a new chapter of Smokey's story up :hugegrin: