NASCAR

Congrats to Brian Vickers for his second place finish in the Busch Race tonight! :D

Hummer said:
My husband and I were discussing things we do to elaborate on the 'how bad have you got it?' slogan. So I was wondering what everyone else does that shows that you've got the Nascar bug?

:lol: I love those commercials, especially b/c so many of them hit close to home for me, lol. As for some ways I show my NASCAR fandom? The things I'll admit to that won't cause me immense embarrassment are: My room is covered in NASCAR posters and die casts. I used to have stcikers supporting my favorite drivers in the back wndshield of my car. A license plate for one of my favorite drivers on the front of my car, which would be rotated regularly to give all my guys the spotlight for awhile. I say 'used to' b/c I recently got a newer car, so I need to get all new stickers. I am currently a member of the Brian Vickers fanclub, and have been since it began.

I do other, silly things too, but I'm not going to go into them here. :lol:

Congrats to both Dale Jr. and Brian. Great work the both of you.

The things I'll admit to that won't cause me immense embarrassment are: My room is covered in NASCAR posters and die casts. I used to have stcikers supporting my favorite drivers in the back wndshield of my car. A license plate for one of my favorite drivers on the front of my car, which would be rotated regularly to give all my guys the spotlight for awhile.

I have the stickers and plates on my car also. The plates are hell to put on sometimes but they're worth it. I switch between plates for 48, 12, 9, and 99. I have a Dale Sr. sticker and Johnson sticker right now I believe. My husband, Jake, has ALL the car number stickers on the tailgate of his truck.

Aside from that I have each ticket to every race I've been to framed and hanging in our NASCAR room. We originally bought this house in hopes of having a huge family but we presently had one vacant room that we dedicated to our huge amount of NASCAR stuff: pictures of events, signed hats & shirts, etc. I tell you the room is packed!

Ummm. Can I boast for a moment? :devil:

YAY! GO SMOKE :) Tony rocks...woo, winning with no fuel! That's my man! :p

Ok, I'm over it now. Thanks for just letting me squee. :D

Wanted to bump this up because we've only got 2 races left in the race for the cup. :)

Anyone else hear about the Riggs crew member shoving Harvick and his wife Delana down? On nascar.com it says Craig Curone, the crew member for Riggs, was suspended indefinately.

Well, I'm new on this thread, but, being an Arkansan promises that you can't not me somewhat of a NASCAR fan. I live less than 100 miles from Mark Martin's hometown. As a matter of fact, my relatives helped him build his first car to race at Batesville. Thus, I'm a huge fan of Mark Martin. And, no offense ment to his fands, loathe Jeff Gordon with every fiber of my being. I just can't wait for Mark to retire back to Arkansas. He's got a museum up here and everything! But, his last full season isn't looking extremely bright for Mr. Consistancy, is it?

Down 'n' dirty
By Jerry Bonkowski, Yahoo! Sports
October 12, 2007 6:!3 PM EDT

CONCORD, N.C. – NASCAR fans have been criticized for a number of things over the years, ranging from perpetuating a redneck stereotype to still showing pride in the Rebel Flag.

Now, as one Mississippi congressman would have you believe, NASCAR fans are also a threat to national security and the nation's health.

Yes, you, Bubba. You, too, Bobbie Sue. Y'all got the cooties.

That's what Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.), Chairman of the House Committee on Homeland Security, would have you believe.

The seven-term Congressman recently instructed committee aides who visited Talladega Superspeedway last weekend and are also at this weekend's Nextel Cup race at Lowe's Motor Speedway to be immunized against a variety of diseases such as hepatitis A, hepatitis B, diphtheria, tetanus and influenza.

Officially, the action was supposedly part of a broader review of federal response to massive emergencies at a large, crowded venue like Lowe's Motor Speedway.

Unofficially, Thompson unquestionably must think of NASCAR fans as a bunch of sickos – and not in a good way.

The hue and outcry resulting from Thompson's actions have become nothing short of a political embarrassment.

However, I admit Thompson did get me a bit suspicious at first. When I first heard the news, I immediately reflected back to one of NASCAR's biggest marketing campaigns in recent years: NASCAR – How bad have YOU got it?

By Thompson's standards, you've not only got it bad – but you're also a walking, talking, fire-breathing, beer-drinking, tobacco-spittin', cussin' and cheerin' sumbitch who is carrying enough pestilence and pathos to bring the good, old U.S. of A to its knees.

You would think that a veteran Congressman – and from a state that has a huge NASCAR fan base – would be a bit savvier when it comes to messin' with the go straight and turn left crowd.

Instead, Thompson paints a picture of folks, who come to races from New Hampshire to southern California, as potentially carrying more communicable diseases than folks in a third-world country.

As can be expected, others countered that Thompson's edict was more liberal Democratic "the-sky-is-falling" hysteria mongering. Even members of his own party have to be wondering, "What is this guy thinking?"

Thompson would have been smart if he had laughed things off when the relatively silent instruction for staffers to get their shots suddenly became national news. Instead, he kept digging himself a deeper hole – and I'm betting especially so with Mississippi voters who just happen to be NASCAR fans.

When he appeared in a debate with Rep. Robin Hayes (R-N.C.) on CNN, Thompson told Hayes he "ought to be ashamed" for criticizing efforts to protect the committee's staffers.

Hayes deadpanned – and good for him in doing so – "We got our shots when we were born."

What's next? Ostracizing NASCAR fans like smokers? Is being a racing fan suddenly akin to being a leper?

God forbid that a non-NASCAR fan suddenly comes down with a bad case of Junior-itis. What would Thompson's response be? Require widespread institutionalizing or mass inoculations?

And no, I'm not talking about using inoculation needles to tattoo an 8 or 88 on your skin to try and relieve the Junior fever.

There's no question that NASCAR has fought a serious image problem for much of its nearly 60 years of existence.

There's been the redneck stereotype, the Rebel Flag controversy, being sponsored for 30 years by a cigarette company and the "fun" fans have tossing beer cans onto race tracks when they don't quite care for the race outcome.

And now this most recent embarrassment. What's a poor NASCAR fan to do?

Granted, there are some NASCAR fans that are, shall we say, socially challenged – the type that sometimes forget their weekly shower, eschew deodorant in favor of the "natural" smell and have ample beer bellies that should have Goodyear stamped across 'em – but that doesn't mean they're disease-carrying threats to national security.

But Thompson appears to think so.

Actually, he should be thanking those of you who've slapped a No. 8 or 24 or 48 sticker on your car for the warning, because now he knows to steer clear of you on the highway.

As for me, I'm going to be a bit more careful the next time I refer to you die-hard NASCAR fans as "rabid." Apparently, you might just be.

:mad: That guy is just plain rude! You can get diseases like that in the simplest places like public restrooms.

Anyways back to talking about Nascar, my favorite drivers are Junior, Kahne and Johnson. I for one can't wait to see Junior on a new team, it shows that he doesn't like being controlled by Theresa anymore, and it's hard to give your all when you're not happy being pushed around.

And I want to get this out, I'm so sick of people talking about not supporting Junior after he makes the move to Hendrik Motorsports. Support the driver not the number!

I've never been to Talladega or Lowe's (only got Loudon up here and I've been around Pocono since before the teams stayed at the track) and granted the infield can be a dangerous place expecially when forced to stay an extra day for rain, but most people have fully equiped RV's these days. If he wants them innoculated just to go to a race then the kids should be innoculated just to go to school, after all that's where they're getting this superbug that's resistant to antibiotics.

Nikki, can't bring myself to root for Junior. I will forever be a Dale Earnhardt Sr. fan but Junior hasn't shown me enough. Theresa can't handle Junior and his father knew it. Remember ownership of the Bush team was put in Dale Sr's name as soon as Junior became the driver and he said it was because he didn't think Theresa could handle him.

Personally my favorites are Tony Stewart (he's the most like Dale Sr.) and Jimmy Johnson (you can guess how happy I am right now). I also have one not very active driver that I will always follow and that's Steve Park. (he may be a New Yorker but this is the one sport that it doesn't matter! :lol:)

Susan

ETA: NASCAR's version of Water Gate. Water was found in the fuel supply from Sunday in Atlanta. They even found water in Jimmie Johnson's carb.

Blackflag no hard feeling on not liking Junebug :p My least favorite drivers are Stewart (I just think he's too cocky) and Montoya. Also I forgot to list Jeff Gordon as a favorite driver, he's one of the best that Nascar has at the moment.

I admit I wasn't a huge Junior fan until after his dad died, I started rooting for Junior when he won at Daytona following his father's death. The thing I don't like about Thresea is that she's not letting any of Dale's childern (Kerry, Kelly or Dale) have any share of DEI.

I think Kevin Harvick put Junior and Theresa's relationship best. "He deserves to be treated like a grown man and not like he's 15 and somebody's stepson."

Okay, I know this is a crazy late post, but y'all know I probably don't care.

My favorite driver is Dale Earnhardt Jr. I think that last night's race was very cheap on Kyle Busch's part. The S.O.B. crashed Junior on purpose, and everyone says he 'accidentally spun Junior out'. I'm like, what the frick people, are you BLIND?! I was about ready to hunt Busch down, but thought better of it.

What was everyone else's opinion? Did anyone else grab their pitchfork recently?

My favorite driver is Dale Earnhardt Jr. I think that last night's race was very cheap on Kyle Busch's part. The S.O.B. crashed Junior on purpose, and everyone says he 'accidentally spun Junior out'. I'm like, what the frick people, are you BLIND?! I was about ready to hunt Busch down, but thought better of it.

What was everyone else's opinion? Did anyone else grab their pitchfork recently?

Oh, I watched it late after someone told me what happened and of course I had already had a couple beers, so I yelled every word possible at the screen on my computer :scream: I hate both Kyle and Kurt Busch, they're both two young, pompous, egotistical, cocky drivers that think only about themselves. No wonder Stewart's leaving that team, their can only be one ass on the team ... :rolleyes:

* Oh and this coming from the person that's looking for that cheater Carl Edwards to fall right on his ass when he's doing that back flip * :eek:

Oh, I watched it late after someone told me what happened and of course I had already had a couple beers, so I yelled every word possible at the screen on my computer :scream: I hate both Kyle and Kurt Busch, they're both two young, pompous, egotistical, cocky drivers that think only about themselves. No wonder Stewart's leaving that team, their can only be one ass on the team ... :rolleyes:

* Oh and this coming from the person that's looking for that cheater Carl Edwards to fall right on his ass when he's doing that back flip * :eek:
LMAO! Yep... I like Tony Stewart... I mean, he's a punk, but he's usually on Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s side when they're racing. Last week's race was damn good, in my opinion, because Tony and Dale were working together, pushing each other a good number of times. I really don't like Jeff Gordon, though :( The only reason I tolerate him now is because he's on Junior's team! But... yeah, that's me going on a tangent!

And, yes, it would be very funny if Carl Edwards fell on his ass! It's bound to happen one of these days!

The thing with Tony, is that he lets you know he means business when people like Kyle and Kurt act like little kids when it comes to them pulling stunts like they did. Tony Stewart used to be my least favorite driver, but he's one that I do like to see go on tangents nobody is safe from the Stewart Rage ... Flipper * Carl Edwards * I'm not even going to talk about him, but if Nascar did tests for steroids, I think I know who'd get fined.

Back